DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Dirt 3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/591133-dirt-3-a.html)

astrochimp 05-23-11 09:56 PM

Dirt 3

Comes out tomorrow(May 24th) for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Reviews:

IGN 8.5 / 10
Eurogamer 9 / 10
VideoGamer 9 / 10
Planet Xbox 360 9.2 / 10
TotallyGN 9.5 / 10
Gametrailers 9.2 / 10
Game Informer 8.75 / 10
Games Master UK 94 / 100

I didn't need the high reviews since i was a big fan of the 1st 2 games but it's nice to see. I will be getting it for 360 tomorrow.

mattysemo247 05-24-11 07:24 AM

Re: Dirt 3

I still haven't opened Dirt 2 yet :(

But, yeah, I love the rally racing games. So I will definitely be picking this one up sometime down the line.

flashburn 05-24-11 10:28 AM

Just started playing Dirt 2 on the PC with a wheel setup, so much fun. I'll definitely get this once I upgrade my HTPC and finish playing Dirt 2.

Only thing I don't like from what I've been reading about Dirt 3 is that they have gotten rid of money, and you just earn cars every once and a while, and you get bonuses for using the newest cars you get.

slop101 05-24-11 11:12 AM

I loved Dirt 2, but I didn't get to play it as much as I wanted. I'm less than half way through THAT. So maybe I'll play 2 and wait for a price-drop on 3.

K&AJones 05-24-11 04:20 PM

I played and loved Dirt 1 but held off on Dirt 2 even though i liked the demo. haven't followed this new one as much but one thing for sure...Codemasters knows how to do racing games if they don't know anything else.

astrochimp 05-24-11 10:16 PM

Got it today. Seems really good so far. I don't really buy the thing about it being more rally. Its got rally but that's still just a small part of the game from what i see. I only see 4 different locales for those races although there's more stages than in Dirt 2. I do really like the mix of cars especially the old school rally cars. I tried some of the multiplayer party games and they're kinda fun and chaotic :lol: I'm not sure i'll ever master Gymkhana but its still nice to have and i think getting good at that would help with the multiplayer party modes. I really would like to know why Codemasters insist on these elaborate menu systems. Just fucking make a simple menu where we can choose what we want to do quickly. Looks like a game that i'll play hopefully as much as i did with Dirt 2.

redcat 05-24-11 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp (Post 10788497)
I really would like to know why Codemasters insist on these elaborate menu systems. Just fucking make a simple menu where we can choose what we want to do quickly. Looks like a game that i'll play hopefully as much as i did with Dirt 2.

This is my strongest memory from Dirt 2, which is why Dirt 3 hasn't even been on my radar. Between a nonsensical menu system and ridiculous loading times between every single race, I just never got into it at all. But from those review scores, I guess I'll have to look into the new one and wait for a price drop.

boredsilly 05-25-11 11:20 AM

Dirt 3 has reminded me that I've always meant to pick up Grid. Now I can get that for about a $10 spot which is awesome for me.

Liver&Onions 05-27-11 11:52 AM

This game is great.

flashburn 05-27-11 03:16 PM

My sort of "new" HTPC will be finished by the end of next week. I need the self control to not buy Dirt 3 and just finish playing Dirt 2, and by then Dirt 3 should be a bit cheaper.

astrochimp 05-30-11 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 10791984)
This game is great.

Yeah I think it is. So many things to do in the game. Working on the Dirt Tour and had a hell of a time with that Gymkhana Sprint challenge. Finally bronzed it and for now that's good enough. Gymkhana is part fun and a whole lotta frustration for me. Trailblazer rocks along with all the other traditional rally types. Multiplayer is excellent, especially the hardcore mode.

I hear some DLC is on the way.

foxdvd 05-30-11 10:37 PM

Dirt 2 is the reason I put a hole in my wall and lost an xbox controller....I think I will skip this one...

Liver&Onions 05-31-11 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp (Post 10795459)
Yeah I think it is. So many things to do in the game. Working on the Dirt Tour and had a hell of a time with that Gymkhana Sprint challenge. Finally bronzed it and for now that's good enough. Gymkhana is part fun and a whole lotta frustration for me. Trailblazer rocks along with all the other traditional rally types. Multiplayer is excellent, especially the hardcore mode.

I hear some DLC is on the way.

Took me six attempts at the sprint, the spin and donut part screwed me up, the drifting and air, no problem ;)

GR13 05-31-11 10:46 AM

Really enjoying this game not so high on the Gymkhana events but having a blast with everything else, especially online.

astrochimp 05-31-11 05:05 PM

Speed Runs at Battersea Compound are quite fun. I messed up a bit towards the end onto the ramp which cost me but otherwise I didn't do too horribly:

Wick 06-10-11 11:12 PM

It's a really fun and polished experience. Apart from one major issue, which is its freezing bug that occurs during loading screens. They really need to patch it.

Otherwise, I'm really impressed.

Juzylle 06-15-11 07:19 PM

Ugh...does anyone else totally suck at this game? I've put about 15 hours into this game so far doing the Dirt Tour, and although I'm slowly getting better, I'm still getting my ass handed to me on any difficulty over 2.

I've also about thrown my controller thru the wall a couple of times (ala foxdvd) when my f-ing Trailblazer truck barely nudges a snow drift on the side of the road and I go careening into a tree 100 meters away. It made for a pretty epic crash, though.

This game is really unforgiving at times.

just like my wife....amirite?

astrochimp 06-15-11 10:24 PM

I can beat the AI with difficulty at 4 'cept for the Gymkhana events I have to turn it down to 2 :lol: Trailblazer is harder due to the higher speed and lack of a co-driver and also i wont use the racing line. I plan on setting it at 5 when i go back over all the events. For me i just keep redoing the events and each time getting to know the tracks and where i can cut a bit of time off.

I'm a sim racing guy though with way more hours put into racing games than anything else. That being said i get my ass handed to me online more often than not.