Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, 360...)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, 360...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, 360...)

I love it so far. It really feels like everything that I loved about MW2, minus the bullshit of infinity explosives and those other things that wrecked it. I'm getting shit on, but only because I suck. And I thought the regular game modes were fast paced until I tried Kill Confirmed. Very exciting.

I tinkered with SP for a few minutes and put it aside for now. Getting killed in MP will keep me busy now that I see there are respawn ign enemies in the campaign. At least until the assholes start finding exploits.
Old 11-08-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
You know how most of these games create the illusion that you’re in the middle of fighting a huge battle but yet it seems that you're the only one doing any killing?

What this means is, let's say you're trapped behind a wall, and shooting enemy after enemy with no end in sight. Until you advance to where the game wants you to go, those enemies will keep on coming, and coming, and coming.
Yeah, don't they understand this can ruin a campaign experience? It's so ridiculously unrealistic, and with their whole "Is it real?" ad campaign--not to mention how annoying clown car spawns are--you'd think they'd do away with this forEVER...
Old 11-08-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am not a huge fan of these MP maps.
Old 11-08-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I bought it on PS3 so I can play with all my friends that have PS3's. It's fun, but not "OMG SO LEET" or anything.

The maps remind me of MW2. They seem to be fun but not alot of hiding places.

Everyone says it reminds them of MW2 in every aspect, but Black Ops reminded me of MW2, so whatever.

The campaign I played for 5 minutes and turned it off. I got the whole
Spoiler:
Oh the Russians are attacking. Again. Oh this time they are attacking a different city? Gotcha.
vibe going.

I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. Glad I bought it for my bro-in-law otherwise I'd take it back
Old 11-08-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Bragging rights!

Actually, I now wish that I had pre-ordered the Hardened Edition as it looks like I could've easily sold it for a healthy profit.
There were two 360 versions of the Hardened Edition when I got to K-Mart this morning. I didn't want to bother with reselling them to make $20 or so.
Old 11-08-11, 09:17 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

really good game so far...second mission was fantastic actually...
Old 11-08-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
There were two 360 versions of the Hardened Edition when I got to K-Mart this morning. I didn't want to bother with reselling them to make $20 or so.
They actually seem to going for closer to $100 over retail right now.
Old 11-08-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to 9/11 Amazon's customer service center in India.

Last year, Black Ops didn't make it to my house on release date despite release date delivery.

This year, I received a defective MW3 disc that won't even read in my 360.

I'm just going to stop ordering CoD games from Amazon.
Old 11-08-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure that Amazon had much to do with your defective disk. But if you need a scapegoat go right ahead. I prefer EA or Activision but to each his own.
Old 11-08-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Leveling up is pretty fast... already 20 at the moment.
Old 11-08-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Not sure that Amazon had much to do with your defective disk. But if you need a scapegoat go right ahead. I prefer EA or Activision but to each his own.
I hate Amazon's customer service, so my anger resonates with them first.

It took nearly an hour for Amazon to agree to overnight me a new copy first thing tomorrow morning with me shipping the defective disc once I have a working copy. So yes, I'm blaming Amazon.

I just picked the game up at Best Buy before they closed for the evening. I'll go back there on Thursday once I receive my sealed copy from Amazon to return it.
Old 11-09-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5dsOn06w1s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5dsOn06w1s?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Yaay Craptivision, you have just made the madden of fps games by releasing the SAME game every year with minor tuning.
Old 11-09-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Using the same building from a multiplayer map in a previous game in the current single player campaign? Eh, I don't see the big deal.
Old 11-09-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Using the same building from a multiplayer map in a previous game in the current single player campaign? Eh, I don't see the big deal.
I'm just saying that if they did it here then how much more is recycled. The whole point of a new game would be new assets, if they can't even be bothered to make new assets then it worries me about the game, and the future of the game.

A lot of people are blasting this for being almost the exact same as MW2 which makes sense now. I mean I'll still play it, but I'm renting it and not buying. I can't really support that kind of laziness. Especially since it will likely get worse if no one says anything.
Old 11-09-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd actually say assets, models, and objects are reused and just reskinned fairly often, although just not as noticeable and blatant. Given Infinity Ward's... status... i'm not really surprised that they would use items that pre-exist since it took 3 studios to get the game out and they had to cut some corners somewhere. I don't really think it's as worrisome as you make it, although i'm somewhat biased here.

Now things like gameplay being pretty much the same, that's a bigger deal and understandable since it makes the value of each game feel poorer. Although at this point I don't think folks expect massive overhauls to a franchise like Call of Duty given that 15 million people eat it up a year.
Old 11-09-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd actually say assets, models, and objects are reused and just reskinned fairly often, although just not as noticeable and blatant. Given Infinity Ward's... status... i'm not really surprised that they would use items that pre-exist since it took 3 studios to get the game out and they had to cut some corners somewhere. I don't really think it's as worrisome as you make it, although i'm somewhat biased here.

Now things like gameplay being pretty much the same, that's a bigger deal and understandable since it makes the value of each game feel poorer. Although at this point I don't think folks expect massive overhauls to a franchise like Call of Duty given that 15 million people eat it up a year.
I don't know if you've ever said, but i still have my guesses that you work at blizzard in some capacity

Yeah, I'm sure they do, but I am of the belief that people should want more than just most of the same thing over and over again. There's aleady a thread around here about people who no longer buy madden for this reason, and this game is on that way if they keep it up, which is a shame because I kind of like the series.
Old 11-09-11, 05:24 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

The single player campaign was a lot of fun. It was short, only took 5 hours on Normal. But it was non-stop action with some really memorable and exciting moments. It made me realize how much the single player in Battlefield 3 sucked. Everything BF3 did wrong, MW3 did right.

The clown car enemies didn't bother me as much as I expected. This is something I really hate in games. It drove me nuts in COD: WAW where I'd be stuck at a chokepoint and the enemies just kept respawning. But I hardly noticed it here. I guess it's because you're constantly moving forward and the checkpoints are so frequent.

The only thing that dragged down the game were the grenades/RPGs in the later levels. Seems like they tried to increase the difficulty by increasing the explosions. I'd say about 90% of my deaths in the game was due to grenades. It got kinda frustrating, but nowhere near the aggravating COD:WAW nade-fest.
Old 11-09-11, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

MP is fantastic! I was worried at first at how quickly I was getting my arse handed to me... but after a match or two I was right back in the swing of things. I dig this so much more than BO.
Old 11-09-11, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pixar and many other companies recycle all the time. What a really, really dumb thing to complain about when there are actually legit complaints to be made.
Old 11-09-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will there be more Hardened Editions made available later? I didn't preorder, and hope to pick one up - but I don't mind waiting if more will be released
Old 11-09-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Pixar and many other companies recycle all the time. What a really, really dumb thing to complain about when there are actually legit complaints to be made.
Ok, that's fine, but in 5 years when MW7 comes out and it's pretty much the exact same models as MW6 you'll know that it's because people kept supporting lazy practices until they just release 60 dollar expansions every year. It's the start of a slippery slope is all I'm saying, and Activision could care less. They have no issue destroying franchises just as EA doesn't, that is why I'm not a fan of either.

I'm not shitting on the game at all, not even close since you seem to be getting offended (lol). I will still play it, just don't think it bodes well with their future, on top of the other issues the game is starting to show.

Last edited by glassdragon; 11-09-11 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-09-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Ok, that's fine, but in 5 years when MW7 comes out and it's pretty much the exact same models as MW6 you'll know that it's because people kept supporting lazy practices until they just release 60 dollar expansions every year. It's the start of a slippery slope is all I'm saying, and Activision could care less.
So your solution is ... don't buy CoD:MW3 even though it's a shitload of fun?

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I hate Amazon's customer service, so my anger resonates with them first.

It took nearly an hour for Amazon to agree to overnight me a new copy first thing tomorrow morning with me shipping the defective disc once I have a working copy. So yes, I'm blaming Amazon.

I just picked the game up at Best Buy before they closed for the evening. I'll go back there on Thursday once I receive my sealed copy from Amazon to return it.
?? Amazon's Customer Service has always been excellent for me, do you call them or e-mail them? At least you convinced them to ship you another copy overnight, a lot would still laugh in your face and say they'll replace your game once you ship it back on your dime.
Old 11-09-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
So your solution is ... don't buy CoD:MW3 even though it's a shitload of fun?
You guys are all missing my point completely. For NOW it's fun, but how fun is it going to be in 5 games when the game looks exactly the same and for all we know has the exact same bugs/annoyances as the last one because they figure "Who cares if we make it better, millions will still buy it anyways". Everyone is thinking too much in the now instead of the future. I gave madden as an example only because they are at the point now that I see MW being at in 5 years which is sad. I don't really want to see the franchise die or get destroyed, I actually like it as it is now.

If people stop supporting something that is starting to take a slow downturn then maybe they will say "We need to step it up" or maybe they'll just kill it, but honestly I would rather see it die all together than get to a point where the game is annoying and not fun.
Old 11-09-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
?? Amazon's Customer Service has always been excellent for me, do you call them or e-mail them? At least you convinced them to ship you another copy overnight, a lot would still laugh in your face and say they'll replace your game once you ship it back on your dime.
Their service has been impeccable the few times I've needed to use it. In fact they surprise me with how far they go. It's funny how opinionated people get when things don't go their way.
Old 11-09-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Ok, that's fine, but in 5 years when MW7 comes out and it's pretty much the exact same models as MW6 you'll know that it's because people kept supporting lazy practices until they just release 60 dollar expansions every year. It's the start of a slippery slope is all I'm saying, and Activision could care less. They have no issue destroying franchises just as EA doesn't, that is why I'm not a fan of either.

I'm not shitting on the game at all, not even close since you seem to be getting offended (lol). I will still play it, just don't think it bodes well with their future, on top of the other issues the game is starting to show.
And when they start trying to cash in like they did with Tony Hawk people will tire of the product, and it will lose its value.

I was scared about this game because of the whole Infinity Ward situation. Yes, this does feel like MW2, but with enough different that I am loving it. I'm just having fun playing multiplayer. I enjoyed prestiging in MW2. I don't think I prestiged once in Black Ops. I think I'm done with Treyarch so if they put out a good enough update once every 2 years, I can't be too upset.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.