Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP Go is dead.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PSP Go is dead.

Not really a surprise. Didn't make any sense to begin with.

Sony Japan confirmed it has ceased production of the PSP Go and that all future sales will be limited to current stock.

A Japanese report from Phileweb (translated by Andriasang) says the company has formally announced it is ending production of the digital-only handheld, confirming a rumor that surfaced yesterday from an alleged Sony Store employee. This will allow Sony to shift its focus to the NGP, which is expected to ship in at least one territory by the end of this year.

The PSP Go first launched in 2009 for $250. IGN has contacted SCEA for a statement and will update this story if we hear back.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/116/1162913p1.html
Old 04-20-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Re: PSP Go is dead.

It was truly DOA.
Old 04-20-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good riddance.
Old 04-21-11, 07:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never was alive in my opinion. Shitty idea, shitty follow through. Actually kinda glad it died. We'll see how the next one from Sony plays out.
Old 04-21-11, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

But... Downloads are the future!
Old 04-21-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it while I had one, but I never had the original PSP. I sold it off with the intent to eventually get an NGP.

It was fine, but I won't really miss it.
Old 04-21-11, 08:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Kinda sad cuz the hardware was well designed. The PSP isn't dead though. Lots of great games for it, and even two big titles came out this week!
Old 04-21-11, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Still playing mine almost every day. Will probably give it to someone when NGP comes out though. I play mine at work on breaks, so for me it was convenient not having to carry games around.
Old 04-21-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the idea was good, it was just released at a bad price point. If they had released it at the same price as the regular PSP and bundled your choice of a few games, I think it would have done much better.
Old 04-21-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I agree that if they had priced it lower at the start, it would have done better (I would have also liked a way to import UMD games onto it, which was the glaring flaw keeping it from being a worthwhile "upgrade" akin to a DS lite). It also couldn't have helped that the design of the controls made it difficult to play Monster Hunter, one of the most popular franchises (in Japan) on the system.

I bought one when Best Buy lowered the price to $200, and there have been enough PSN deals on PSP games to keep me sated. The side effect is that it completely stopped my UMD purchases... even games I was otherwise interested in and would have bought on sale. Of course, I tried to connect to PSN the last few days and couldn't...
Old 04-21-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Good riddance - from day-one I was saying this was a retarded idea. If Sony listened to me, they would've saved millions!
Old 04-21-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check out your local Sam's Club, the black models and white models have been clearanced to as low as $58.

The Renton, WA store has the white one for $73.01 (search for PSP Go)
Old 04-21-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hail2dking
check out your local Sam's Club, the black models and white models have been clearanced to as low as $58.

The Renton, WA store has the white one for $73.01 (search for PSP Go)
That is a bargin.
Old 04-21-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
But... Downloads are the future!
I think that there are plenty of other devices that show this to be true, mainly the iphone and android phones. The problem with the PSP Go was the implementation. The hardware was more expensive,and the game prices weren't competitive for a download only device.
Old 04-21-11, 03:14 PM

Not dead just yet

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/21/p...-not-dead-yet/
Old 04-21-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I think that there are plenty of other devices that show this to be true, mainly the iphone and android phones. The problem with the PSP Go was the implementation. The hardware was more expensive,and the game prices weren't competitive for a download only device.
You can't really compare full fledged PSP games and development cost with iPhone games and development costs, though, so it's understandable that the games were more than a buck or two. Unfortunately, their minis weren't priced low enough either, and they never fostered an environment to get smaller games on there.

The PSP games are also comparatively huge and take forever to download... meanwhile, your system is pretty much a brick.

Really, the only draw this system had was the form factor (which is admittedly sweet... that PSP2 or NGP or whatever looks huge). Otherwise, you took a step back with compatibility with older software, having to buy new peripherals/memory cards, etc. There was no way this was an upgrade for anyone with a regular PSP, with no UMD compatibility/download option, and the fact that the PSP could play the exact same games just as well, just without built-in memory. Not only was there no way to import UMD titles, not every UMD title was available for download, and then there's the Kingdom Hearts game that was only available on UMD.

I bought the Go and accessories way later in the life of the system, and I was baffled at a few of the decisions they made. For instance, they sold a dock: the dock does not come with a plug, and if you use the plug that comes with the Go, you can't output video/audio to a TV... for that, you need an old-PSP-plug. Ridiculous.
Old 04-21-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yet I still can't find a 53 dollar one at a local sams club, the manager said they even just got in another shipment.
Old 04-24-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
It's the Zsa Zsa Gabor of game systems.