DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Console Announced at E3 2011 (Wii U) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/589651-nintendo-console-announced-e3-2011-wii-u.html)

pinata242 04-14-11 01:56 PM

Nintendo Console Announced at E3 2011 (Wii U)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ole-at-e3.aspx

Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that it needs to do a better job with its publishing partners at a 3DS press conference in the fall of 2010. "We need to decrease the concern that only Nintendo software can sell well on Nintendo platforms and third-party software cannot sell in the same volume. We feel a need to have closer ties with our third-party developers from the beginning."

"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may infer about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.

We've heard about an HD Wii for some time now, and the time is perfect – almost necessary – for Nintendo to jump start itself with this new system. The company has been feeling the bite since Wii sales have declined from previous years, and this week's news that Nintendo could be dropping the price of the Wii on May 15 could be a precursor to this announcement and an attempt to move as many Wii units as possible out of the retail channel before the new system hits.

We do not have confirmation if this new system will be backward compatible with the Wii or if it will even carry the Wii branding as has often been rumored. It is our understanding that Nintendo is trying to embrace the western gamer and will likely launch a new brand with this console . Around the office we have dubbed the system Nintendo HD. However, this information at this point is conjecture.

We contacted a Nintendo representative regarding this information, and while they wouldn't comment on it or the company's E3 plans, they did sign off with a intriguing "stay tuned."

Either way, it should be an exciting E3 for Nintendo and gamers alike.

tlwizard 04-14-11 02:13 PM

Re: RUMOR - Next Nintendo Console to Be Announced at E3 2011

While I welcome any HD updates Nintendo can bring, that is the least of my worries when it comes to a new Nintendo console.

Are my downloaded games going to still be device locked? (And can they even be transferred to the new system?)

If I want to play with my friends online, again is my identity device-locked and even at that a hard to remember number? Can I have a handle/gamertag?

Will there be a better storage system so that I don't have to swap out SD cards to play something or have to delete and redownload to play another?

Groucho 04-14-11 02:17 PM

It would be hilarious if they moved away from motion controls.

Michael Corvin 04-14-11 02:18 PM

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that it needs to do a better job with its publishing partners
Hasn't that been the standard song and dance since the N64?

Dan 04-14-11 02:23 PM

I agree with all of TLWizard's concerns. I'll probably bypass this console, though.

Rob V 04-14-11 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10725127)

It would be the ONLY way I even consider owning another system by Nintendo. They'd have to change so many things about the Wii for me to bite this time.

Groucho 04-14-11 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 10725139)
It would be the ONLY way I even consider owning another system by Nintendo. They'd have to change so many things about the Wii for me to bite this time.

I wish I had your resolve. Mine will last about as long as it takes for them to put out the first Mario or Zelda title. :(

Supermallet 04-14-11 02:32 PM

If this supports all Wii and Gamecube games, and I can transfer all my digital purchases to it, I'll sell my Wii and get it. As it is my Wii has been collecting dust for years. I don't even pay attention to games announced for it anymore.

Drexl 04-14-11 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10725128)
Hasn't that been the standard song and dance since the N64?

Maybe, but the Gamecube got decent support - for a while.

I think the problem with the Wii's third-party support is that it was so underpowered compared to the competition. Developers couldn't make games that take advantage of the HD consoles and the PC, and then put the same stuff on the Wii. While the Wii was the best-selling console, the combined user base of the competition was bigger. If they're planning on another relative lightweight (compared to the next generation MS and Sony systems), they shouldn't be surprised if they don't get a lot of third-party support.

Noonan 04-14-11 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10725127)

I don't want to see them move away from it completely but, if they want to stand a chance, I think they need to move to the Sony/MS model where a normal controller is the main input type and the motion controls is a non-required ad-on. They'll never have the 3rd party support they want if they continue to require all games to use motion control.

Groucho 04-14-11 02:37 PM

Nintendo to release their own version of achievements?

Nintendo today released tidbits on their new cross-console "Accomplishments" system. "Accomplishments allow the gamer to receive little rewards as they play, for things like completing a temple in Zelda or defeating Bowzer in Mario," explained Reggie Fils-Aime, NOA President. "And it couldn't be easier to use! When a reward is gained, a 12 digit number, unique to you, will flash on the screen. Simply call our toll free number or text it in, and within 2-3 working days the Accomplishment will be added to your account! From there, you can access your Accomplishments on the World Wide Web, where a full list can be sorted or printed out so you can show off and compare Accomplishments with your friends."

Liver&Onions 04-14-11 02:42 PM

Groucho - source please...if you're serious groucho this post. Otherwise, congrats on a good troll!

Michael Corvin 04-14-11 02:44 PM

:lol:

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 10725165)
I don't want to see them move away from it completely but, if they want to stand a chance, I think they need to move to the Sony/MS model where a normal controller is the main input type and the motion controls is a non-required ad-on.

I'd like to see them go back to standard controls, but keep motion as an option. They could just make the system backwards compatible with current Wiimotes.

I wonder if this news will edge MS closer to a new console.

NiCK Crush 04-14-11 02:51 PM

when is E3 this year?

pinata242 04-14-11 02:55 PM

E3 is the first or second week of June.

Haven't we already heard about "Accomplishments" before? Maybe that was the name of Sony's thing before they were Trophies.

My resolve is strong like bull! Until Metroid Prime 4 :sad:

anomynous 04-14-11 03:01 PM

Kotaku says it's supposed to be more powerful than the 360 and PS3

Well I would hope so, since by the time this new Nintendo console comes out they could be anywhere from 5-7 years old

Groucho 04-14-11 03:03 PM

An off-the-shelf PC at Walmart is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

Tracer Bullet 04-14-11 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10725206)
An off-the-shelf PC at Walmart is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

:lol:

Noonan 04-14-11 03:06 PM

That's not true at all. You'd need a fairly decent PC to run Crysis 2 at 1080p (and 3D in the case of the PS3). Processor speed, sure but not in terms of graphics.

Anubis2005X 04-14-11 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10725141)
I wish I had your resolve. Mine will last about as long as it takes for them to put out the first Mario or Zelda title. :(

Yeah, same here.

Liver&Onions 04-14-11 03:24 PM

IGN is touting backwards compatability.

My questions to all these guys is - what the fuck? You sit quiet about things you "may know" until one person spews something, then the gates open? GI, IGN, and now Kotaku? Something doesn't seem right.

Liver&Onions 04-14-11 03:25 PM

My anonymous sources tell me this is going to require all new TVs to have the Thunderbolt port built in, as that's what's being used to send the A/V. Also, Nintendo is branding their own TVs with said ports and built in glasses free 3D technology.

pinata242 04-14-11 03:25 PM

Journalism!

Liver&Onions 04-14-11 03:30 PM

someone should post that made up shit on twitter and see if it spreads too. fucking retarded.

Tracer Bullet 04-14-11 03:35 PM

Um, what? Say what you will about the reliability of anonymous sources, Game Informer is one of the only videogame news outlets to actually bother to do real reporting.