Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City March, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City March, 2012

Holy shit was this game terrible. I spent more time installing and then deleting it off my HDD than I did playing it. The game is nearly pitch black even with the gamma maxed out, most likely to disguise the terrible textures. The frame rate is consistently below 30fps with screen tearing. The controls and gun accuracy is horrendous. I literally played for 10 minutes before ejecting it. Do not waste your money! You have been warned
Old 03-20-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Someone ha posted "their take" on the game with footage and seems to know about the RE games of past and how this plays so take it FWIW.
Wow, after playing about 4 hours through the campaign his video review seems like something I could have done. The whole "view from the Umbrella prespective" is spot on. His thoughts are just like mine.
Like he said its a game that didn't need to be made in the series and has its flaws, but is still fun to play. Nothing new or groundbreaking, but neither is the COD series anymore. If you aren't a diehard Resident Evil timeline follower but like some nostalgia you can't go wrong. Not quite sure how it got a 4 from ign.
Old 03-20-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Holy shit was this game terrible. I spent more time installing and then deleting it off my HDD than I did playing it. The game is nearly pitch black even with the gamma maxed out, most likely to disguise the terrible textures. The frame rate is consistently below 30fps with screen tearing. The controls and gun accuracy is horrendous. I literally played for 10 minutes before ejecting it. Do not waste your money! You have been warned
You gave it 10 minutes and you were done? Really? Not to sound like a homer here but if I gave all the games i tried only 10 minutes I would have missed out on a lot of gems. I just don't see how you can judge a game after playing 10 minutes. That being said, I didn't care for the first chapter of this game but it kept getting better the longer I played.
Old 03-20-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't take more than ten minutes to realize a bad game is a bad game. The core mechanics are terrible. I knew it wouldn't be great since it was created by Slant 6, but it was worse than expected. It looks and plays like a $19.99 bargain bin game with the brand name "Resident Evil" slapped on the box. I play a LOT of games, most of them not so great. This ranks among the worst, I'm talking Two Worlds quality.
Old 03-21-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I picked this up yesterday but now I'm afraid to open it after all the bad word of mouth. What Discostu said about the game being too dark has me especially worried because I do have a problem with certain XBOX games being too dark (GTA IV being one of them, had to play it on PS3 instead because it was so bad).
Old 03-21-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll have to get with tweo friends that we plan on doing the co-op on who played some last night. Our tastes in games are similar so I trust their opinion. One did say some DLC is being planned in about a month. I wonder though as with some games we see sent out with flaws and bugs if we'll see some updates coming.

And i do wonder about the "darkness" since about every video and trailer shows this game dark. I can understand it being part of the game's intent but being dark to create uncertainity or scarry is one thing but too dark to see anything is just stupid.
Old 03-21-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did notice the copies Wal*Mart is selling have a sticker on the case promoting some forthcoming DLC.
Old 03-22-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well my copy came in today but frankly I'm holding off opening it till I get more feedback from a few friends playing the game that I trust. In fact we've played more than our share of coop games and they alone probably play more games in four months than the average plays in a year.

That said they did play for a short time the other night and I go a message from one today. Now when he says, "the game is hard even at normal' that means it really is. In fact we all got BRINK based on all the hype and we all know how that went. And that game was very frustrating hard in several points. He said RE:ORC is even more difficult than BRINK even at normal setting.
Old 03-22-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished this up today. Took about 8 hours on the campaign playing Veteran, one step up from Normal difficulty. I had a good time and am very glad I played it. Going to try out the multiplayer before I return it tomorrow. Most of the complaints I have seen on the web are vaild, cover is way too sticky, the whole thing is a little dark, and there's really nothing different to make it stand out. It is fun to see a different perspective on the outbreak if you are in to the Resident Evil story. My score, going off of IGN's Rage system (where they gave Rage an 8.5 for some reason when it should have barely got a 5) I give this a 6.
Old 03-22-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Just finished this up today. Took about 8 hours on the campaign playing Veteran, one step up from Normal difficulty. I had a good time and am very glad I played it. Going to try out the multiplayer before I return it tomorrow. Most of the complaints I have seen on the web are vaild, cover is way too sticky, the whole thing is a little dark, and there's really nothing different to make it stand out. It is fun to see a different perspective on the outbreak if you are in to the Resident Evil story. My score, going off of IGN's Rage system (where they gave Rage an 8.5 for some reason when it should have barely got a 5) I give this a 6.
Do you get to run through the police station? That would be awesome to see in high def.
Old 03-22-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Hopefully RE6 will be the return-to-form we've been waiting for - but I'm not holding my breath...
Old 03-22-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
It doesn't take more than ten minutes to realize a bad game is a bad game. The core mechanics are terrible. I knew it wouldn't be great since it was created by Slant 6, but it was worse than expected. It looks and plays like a $19.99 bargain bin game with the brand name "Resident Evil" slapped on the box. I play a LOT of games, most of them not so great. This ranks among the worst, I'm talking Two Worlds quality.
It's like the sandwich analogy. If the first bite tastes like shit, would you eat the whole sandwich just to see if it ends up tasting good?
Old 03-22-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've spent the last hour rreading several user reviews from different forums...TeamXbox, Amazon and Gamespot.The game is being ripped worse than BRINK yet not as bad as the pro-reviews.The more I read the more it looks like the game is going back....

So far it seems the complaints have been....terrible AI, terrible cover, terrible weapon damage, terrible lighting, terrible story/plot, terrible controls, terrible video quality....

Well it's going back....I just got off talking to one of my coop pals who played the other night and he said if he knew it was going to be this way he wouldn't have ordered it or suggested me getting either. He basically said send it back and then pick it up when it's $10....which is about what's it worth.

Last edited by K&AJones; 03-22-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 06:25 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
It's like the sandwich analogy. If the first bite tastes like shit, would you eat the whole sandwich just to see if it ends up tasting good?
if it is a sinners sandwich....
Old 03-23-12, 09:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had been considering picking this up on Tuesday, but these reviews have scared me away. I was already on the fence, as I'm only really interested in the game's single player options... and hearing that the AI is so horrendous, seems the single player experience is worse than I had feared.

The RE spinoff games have always been hit and miss. I came to love the Outbreak games (and wish they would revisit this idea with current tech) but all the light gun games were either frustratingly restricting or clunky messes. I guess part of me hoped this offshoot would be like 'Gears of War 3 in Raccoon City'. I'll still probably pick it up when it's $19.99... maybe they'll have patched some things by then?
Old 04-03-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I was at Target today and the SE (PS3, didn't check the Xbox games) was already on clearance for 34.98.
Old 04-18-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW The Best Buy exclusive version is a deal of the day on their website for $29.99.
I actually returned my copy just last night after making up my mind after a month of indecision and the girl that handled the return told me I made a good choice because she played it and it sucked.
Old 04-18-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
FWIW The Best Buy exclusive version is a deal of the day on their website for $29.99.
I actually returned my copy just last night after making up my mind after a month of indecision and the girl that handled the return told me I made a good choice because she played it and it sucked.

That's still about $20 over what I'll even think about spending on this game. FWIW...I know some you played this and BRINK and they rather play BRINK.
Old 06-19-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This game was awful. Bad controls, dumb story, inconsistent learning curve and bad level design. Pure garbage. And for the record I liked BRINK.
Old 09-10-12, 09:39 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'll still probably pick it up when it's $19.99... maybe they'll have patched some things by then?
It's $19.99 now so I finally picked this up. I didn't find it nearly as awful as the reviews suggested. Granted, there was a patch a few months ago so maybe the patch fixed some of the more egregious problems. Now, it's far from a perfect game... the teammate AI is still iffy (they have a tendency to stand in fire for no apparent reason) and the cover system (control in general, really) just doesn't work as well as Gears. But I feel the game does a reasonably good job of capturing the atmosphere/look of Resident Evil 2/3, especially given the genre transplant to full-on shooter. I greatly preferred this over the rails shooter spinoffs for the Wii, which I never bothered to finish.