To PS3 Owners...a few ?'s

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-19-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey All

I presently have the 360 and once again thinking of grabbing a PS3 for both games and BD even though I already have a player. Both TV's are Sony and the player is to so the "sync" feature is great to have.

I've got three or four on my friends list that has the PS for certain games like exclusives though they tend to play co-op and MP on the 360 for it's games. They're big on GOW and Halo but I'm not here for flame wars about systems and they love both.

Just wanted some feedback about the systm and games and other parts since I haven't really followed the PS3. The only thing I know is a few PS3 games like Killzone or Uncharted, the fact the case design is slimmer from the previous model and that's about it.

(1) with the new case design was there any technical improvements to the actual system be the board, memory or cpu?

(2) buying and renting movies...the costs, the movie aspect ratio and format (1080p, 1080i...?)

(3) extra content for the PS3 versions...is there a list or games that stand out from the 360 version which gets "special features"?

(4) online "friends list"...the friends who have both 360 and PS3 say the 360 is a bit more user friendly and easier to chat outside games you are playing. How is the online navigation part?

Anything else that makes it stand out or special new feature let me know or chime in I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-19-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: To PS3 Owners...a few ?'s

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Hey All

I presently have the 360 and once again thinking of grabbing a PS3 for both games and BD even though I already have a player. Both TV's are Sony and the player is to so the "sync" feature is great to have.

I've got three or four on my friends list that has the PS for certain games like exclusives though they tend to play co-op and MP on the 360 for it's games. They're big on GOW and Halo but I'm not here for flame wars about systems and they love both.

Just wanted some feedback about the systm and games and other parts since I haven't really followed the PS3. The only thing I know is a few PS3 games like Killzone or Uncharted, the fact the case design is slimmer from the previous model and that's about it.

(1) with the new case design was there any technical improvements to the actual system be the board, memory or cpu?

(2) buying and renting movies...the costs, the movie aspect ratio and format (1080p, 1080i...?)

(3) extra content for the PS3 versions...is there a list or games that stand out from the 360 version which gets "special features"?

(4) online "friends list"...the friends who have both 360 and PS3 say the 360 is a bit more user friendly and easier to chat outside games you are playing. How is the online navigation part?

Anything else that makes it stand out or special new feature let me know or chime in I'd appreciate it.
I love the ps3, but one thing that bothers me is the lack of chat while in a game.
Old 03-19-11, 07:17 PM

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I'm new enough to my PS3 I can't answer these very well, but I have a question of my own:

Is there a way to mark my friends list with notes so I can keep track of how I know people? Like put a DVDTalk mark by the people I know from DVDTalk, etc.? I've made a few friends from here and elsewhere and I sometimes need to think about who is who.
Old 03-19-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Xbox 360's Live "ecosystem" (for lack of a better word) is not only superior to PS3's, it's arguably superior to any other platform's, ever.

And... that's where the advantages end. The hardware is frustratingly faulty and I get more use out of the PS3 (which does, basically, everything the 360 does).

I still own my Xbox and for must-play-MP games like COD I would strongly hesitate to get the PS3 version of the game. But overall, I like the PS3 more.

The ideal solution is to have all three systems of course.
Old 03-19-11, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There isn't any technical improvement to the current PS3, except for the fact that it can pass lossless audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS HD-MA) as a bitstream instead of unpacking to PCM first. Also, it MIGHT not be as susceptible to the YLOD due to the redesigned board and cooling.
Old 03-19-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One major one is Portal 2, the PS3 version gives you a free copy for PC along with steam support on PS3.
Old 03-20-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Runs cooler with much lower power consumption. Probably less likely to fail as well.

I don't do this, as it never seemed like a good deal, but they have both SD and HD on most movies...at different pricing tiers.

Portal 3 does come to mind, along with Dead Space 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and Dante's Inferno. Some of the games that came out later than the 360 version have some DLC included as well, such as Mass Effect 2 and I believe Bioshock.

360 is better, but PS3 is fully usable and free.

I think any objective person would say that it has gotten better exclusive games over the past 2-3 years, as Sony has much stronger first and second party developers.

It's as good as any Blu-Ray player on the market, better than most.

3D, if you're into that kind of thing.

More usable, less gimmicky motion controls, if you're into that kind of thing.