Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Battlefield Talk (PS3)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Battlefield Talk (PS3)

At that point we would have had a squad of 2 and a squad of 3. We wouldn't have left you dangling. Might be able to play tonight, just depends.
Old 02-17-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shumway
Good times last time, for the most part. Friz, Ogs, myself, and a little later Spatula. Before Spatula joined we were playing Atacama against some chopper monkeys. We were winning handily but it was really frustrating. Friz flips his lid, quits out, takes our 4th person with us. Ogs and I decide we can stick it out. The damn match must have taken another 15 minutes and we barely won by like 20 - 30 tickets. They ended up taking all the bases when there were down to their last 20 tickets or so and our lead dwindled from over 100 tickets. It was an exercise in frustration. We should have quit too.
That was fucking brutal. I was in the broken ship with two choppers circle strafing and a tank outside. I can take a loss, but I'm not taking abuse.

That said, Flip and I just had the most epic comeback victory ever after taking a good bit of abuse:

On Nelson Bay, we started the map ahead by a player or two...something like 6 on 5, but these guys were pretty douchey and were holding their own. We built a pretty solid lead and then lost a couple of players, so it's Flip and me and a fairly worthless blueberry against 4 guys, and they were working us over pretty good. We held an average of about a flag and a half for just long enough to make the game last FOREVER. They were up about 120 to 20 when we finally got a third squad mate, who was pretty decent, and you could just feel the tide turn. By the time we'd taken all of the bases, it was about 40 to 5, but there weren't really enough of us to go spawn camp their parachutes, so the three of us are just holding down the fort between A and B with me yelling "STAY TOGETHER!!!", but the random was wandering off a bit, so we just followed him and were reviving each other when we died. Before you know it, it's 25 to 3, then 15 to 2, then 10 to 1, and we actually hit zero several times only to revive that last ticket. Flip says, "There's a dude upstairs at Alpha!", and I said, "Leave him there, just hold it"...but the random had already gone up there and gotten killed. We were at zero, so I had to go after him. I got to him with no time to spare for the revive just as the ticker went from 0-1 to 1-0 and with the dude up there not having enough time to kill me.

Suffice to say that we flipped our shit. So cool to win after you've resigned yourself to losing and are just being toyed with...and those douchebags all quit in disgust before the next map.
Old 02-17-12, 06:53 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Is there a way to record your game on a PS3 or only a PC? Because that's the kind of game right there you wish you could see!

Taking my youth group on a ski trip tonight, so I'm out.
Old 02-17-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dqf1BmN4Dag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I absolutely wish I had a replay of those last ten minutes. I thought we were done when our 3rd and 4th took off in opposite directions and friz starting bleating "STAY TOGETHER, GODDAMMIT!" Nevermind the 4th wasn't even in our squad and couldn't hear shit. For the record I never thought he'd get up to the top floor to revive Mr. Rambo. But goddamn he did.

I can't stress enough the level of douchebaggery we had to endure to get to this point. Because they routinely held 3 of the 4 objectives, one asshole just hid and sniped us whenever we arrived for the objective, just straight up toying with us. We'd always locate and take out one but the second just picked us off. I got fucktard's tags (he had a nemesis on me) before the round was over though.
Old 02-18-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a damn cool round in hindsight, but Flip is right...we had to endure some seriously douchey play...stuff like hanging out at the perimeter of objectives and waiting for you to take them before swarming.

A video of the last few minutes would be badass, but you'd also have to see how bad it was up to that point to appreciate how cathartic it was to win on that hail mary revive.

I mostly just love that the actual score went from 0-1 them to 1-0 us as I made that revive. I think if they had realized we were working the medic angle to save tickets, they might have gone back to Charlie or Delta, but I like to think that somebody over there was saying "Hey, it's just another kill or two. We've been working them over this whole map...just get the kill" and it had to drive them crazy watching the score go from one to zero and then back to one at least 3-4 times while they bled out.

Last edited by chess; 02-18-12 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-18-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty fun night with OG and Lee, and good times with Flip as seen above.

I took most of this week off work, so I had lots of time to play and have been on a lot. It was either Shum or OG that noted how close I was to catching Spatula, and I don't think I really realized up to that point. I honestly hadn't given it that much thought and am still just hooked on the game. I missed out on so much of the game while in Afghanistan and wanted to catch up a bit. It's cool to see some of you guys migrate back to it.

I have to dig up that quote from Meatpants about how it wasn't possible to catch Vong at the time based on how many games it took Vong to get to 43...not realizing that I put up a lot of points per game. He had done the math and everything.
Old 02-18-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll save you the time...

Originally Posted by 19K
I don't know... Vong has 2000+ matches and 12000+ kills in BC2 and is only level 43. Seems like leveling up is a much bigger grind.
There wasn't any math involved. I just said it was a grind... which it is. Kudos for sticking with it.
Old 02-18-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

F'ing lurker!

Just seeing if you were still around.
Old 02-18-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't played in awhile so I haven't felt the need to post, but I still check the thread regularly to see if anything exciting is happening.
Old 02-18-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always man...hop in sometime watch me do some medic and occasional engineer work. We'll tank whore it up!
Old 02-18-12, 05:46 PM

Here's an exciting story from a few weeks back. I tried to explain it over the mic but it was just taking too long and we were all too busy adding up our pins and points.

On Port Valdez, I'd taken down the chopper several times with the Bravo AA gun. Finally, one of their team snuck in and blew me away with an RPG. He hit me from nearby the UAV station and ran for the back houses instead of trying to take the flag. I respawn on Bravo and go to the back houses. Sure enough, the back door of one has been knifed open and I go in to take him out. First and second floor clear so I go up to the attic. He's there and riddles me with bullets. No problem. Respawn at Bravo as an Assault, lace the first floor with C4, and blow the house to hell. Since he's in the attic there's no escape and he ends up a puddle of paint. I gave him a nice jumping up and down dance for his kill cam.
Old 02-18-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love it.
Old 02-19-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<--- This cranky old man

43 in about 1000 fewer games than Vong
45 in about 500 fewer games than Spatula

...and just look at those ace pins.

Last edited by chess; 02-19-12 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Had some pretty fun games yesterday in limited play. The highlight was a round on Atacama where I got two anti-vehicle efficiency pins...two choppers with the Russian AA gun, 5 tanks with mines (including one where I just tossed a couple over the railing over the Charlie ramp as the tank was rolling through it), a jeep, and two ATVs (including one with my pistol, where I was trying to shoot the driver but apparently hit the vehicle).

I laughed maniacally pretty much the entire round as shit sploded all around me.

I'm also enjoying some of the other LMGs, but I'll only use them for the bonus points and will most certainly go back to my trusty SAW.

K/D ratio is creeping up as well...started last week in the low .7s...currently .88

Last edited by chess; 02-21-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chess

I laughed maniacally pretty much the entire round as shit sploded all around me.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WF7M7s88hpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-21-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's about right Nic.

Looks like Spatula played a bit today. Trying to catch up?
Old 02-22-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone stabbing the wookie tonight? I played five rounds this afternoon. Got three aces. Two on games my team was absolutely stomped by prolly 100 tickets. So I dunno how that happens.
Old 02-23-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of a rough night tonight in the Battlefields...tough to find good games, and I was getting worked over pretty good early on.

Played with OG, Shum and Flip at various points.
Old 02-23-12, 11:22 AM

We're going out of town this weekend for a much-needed family retreat so I won't be on Friday or Saturday. Give 'em the Ol' for me!
Old 02-23-12, 11:27 AM

We're going out of town this weekend for a much-needed family retreat so I won't be online Friday or Saturday. Hotel, a little dinner, and just plain relaxing. Our daughter is around five-and-a-half-months old now so she's ready to go in the swimming pool at the hotel and I'm looking forward to that.

Give 'em the Ol' Carl Gustav for me!
Old 02-24-12, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday. Fucksticks.
Old 02-24-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica
We're going out of town this weekend for a much-needed family retreat so I won't be online Friday or Saturday. Hotel, a little dinner, and just plain relaxing. Our daughter is around five-and-a-half-months old now so she's ready to go in the swimming pool at the hotel and I'm looking forward to that.

Give 'em the Ol' Carl Gustav for me!
Hope you guys have a wonderful getaway. My Kelly and I do the same at least once or twice a year and always enjoy the break.
Old 02-24-12, 05:53 PM

Long, but I value your thoughts on the matter. Since you guys don't hang around the Otter threads:

Looks like we have to move to a new apartment building this spring. Been in the same building for nearly six years but the new manager isn't budging on price. We rented a 2bd/2ba for $1050 for two years and now the 3bd/3ba next door for $1300 for almost four years. That price has been a little tricky but manageable. Last time we renewed in 2010, they threw in a second underground parking space and a storage locker with no added fee so that was awesome.

New manager wants $1375 plus $75 for the second space plus $25 for the storage locker, a 13.5% rent increase that adds up to $2100 extra per year. That's not much, though it's on top of a long commute for my wife, some tight finances, and of course, our new baby and all the wonderful fiscal responsibilities that go along with her. Manager claims they're at 98% occupancy (hard to believe given they've had at least 4-5 new families each in our old apartment next door and the one above us in the last two years), laid out all these ways he's trying to bring in revenue (he got the company to let him do boat parking for a charge and went on and on about it as if I asked him where I can put a dozen boats for the winter), and he says he did the homework - market value for our apartment is $1430 and he's "rewarding" us with the $75 increase plus $100 for amenities.

I know we've got a great price and I know we've been lucky in a market that's ever growing in favor of the person who is renting out the property rather than the renters and I know apartments like ours are in demand and rent is increasing for them. That said, we're looking for a one-year solution. If things go according to plan, I have one more year of school and then a new job on July 1, 2013. Buying a house isn't an option right now; prices are right but with the itinerant nature of my work it would be foolish to invest in a house.

There's part of us that says $2100 is fine, just deal with it. Another part of us says move out, get a smaller 2bd/1ba at another property and move half our stuff into a storage unit for a year, and then move wherever the new job takes me (could be anywhere in the state although they'll likely keep me in the Twin Cities). Did some looking around today and found those smaller options which even adding in the cost of a storage unit, would save us around $2000 from our current rent which means $4000 from the rent they want us to do now. Would love to simplify. See what would happen if we set aside most of the DVDs, the books, the furniture, and the Playstation (okay, not the Playstation!) for a year and see what we really need to live, "make due" for a year in terms of living style instead of "make due" by paying them their money until we leave.

If we move, it will be stressful. It will be in April when I'm mid-semester at school and when I have a lot on my plate at work (Holy Week / Easter season). And then chances are we'll have to move in the summer of 2013 again, anyway. So that's the opportunity cost: does $4000 = the stress of moving?

This probably shouldn't matter, but I was really surprised by how much the new manager treated me like a number. He gave his whole speech, like he'd rehearsed it trying to anticipate what a resident would say; in fact, he did throw out explanations to a few points I'd thought about raising even before I articulated them and I think that's why he talked about boat parking for five minutes. Haven't felt so blatantly ignored by someone as a fellow human being instead of a number since my last bank. He made it clear our apartment is very rentable and he isn't backing down. This is also the only employee here I've ever seen actively avoid talking with residents; maybe he doesn't want to be "friendly" so he can have this sort of conversation easier. If he had even a shred of patience to listen to me or offer me validation, I could respect his business sense a lot more. Instad, he spoke for probably eight of our ten minutes together and left me feeling cold. Makes me wonder what's going to happen to my neighbors, a couple of apartments with retired widowers who have lived here over ten years apiece. Is he going to say, "Sorry, Ben, it's this price or you're out?" I think he will. This really bothers me.

Anyway. What do you think: swallow my pride, pay the extra money and avoid moving twice in fifteen months with a baby or downsize, save money, and deal with the stress of moving? Thoughts?
Old 02-24-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's definitely a tough situation. I hate moving so much that I'd be one to pay a little extra to avoid the hassle but I completely understand wanting to leave because of the way you've been treated. I think it depends on which offends you more. Moving with a young baby, to me, seems like the worst possible scenario. Moving, too, comes with its own set of unplanned, unallocated expenses... so how much would you really be saving by moving to the smaller apartment?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.