Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pokemon Black/White

Old 02-20-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Pokemon Black/White

Figured this could use it's own thread since past titles have as well. Anyone looking forward to this? Any promotions where you can get exclusive Pokemon? I thought I heard you could download one maybe at Gamestop or Best Buy?
Old 02-20-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Pokemon Black/White

Amazon has an exclusive Pokemon for download: Victini (Psychic and Fire) plus $5 credit.
Old 02-21-11, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Amazon has an exclusive Pokemon for download: Victini (Psychic and Fire) plus $5 credit.
its "exclusive" to anyone with the game purchased from anywhere as long as you sign into the wi-fi connection prior to the end of the promo. best buy has a $10 credit.
Old 02-21-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I preordered at Toys R Us. Victini is only available the first month the game is out. Knowing Nintendo it will probably never be offered again. They are really stingy with the event Pokemon.
Old 02-21-11, 07:12 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Really looking forward to the release of these two. Not sure which one I'll pick up though.

I got a chance to play a quick demo of each one on Saturday, in Toronto. It was impressive.
Old 02-24-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Event Pokemon...

Gamestop is having a Celebi event in the US from Feb. 27 through Mar. 7 (downloadable in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver). It unlocks an event in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Plus, if it's transferred to Black/White, it unlocks an event to get Zorua, which is the only way to get that Pokemon.
Old 02-24-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Celebi is also one of the Pokemon that took the longest to come to the US and was the one holding me up for a decade completing a Pokedex. It was impossible to get without finding someone that got one in Japan or hacked their cart. Definitely get it while you can, Nintendo is bad about never offering these really rare ones twice in the US.
Old 02-24-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

my daughter loves Celebi so i see another trip to gamestop in my future
Old 02-25-11, 09:15 AM

I'm new to Pokemon & getting black for my step-son.
I'm looking on amazon at the guides and have a ??

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-...8646112&sr=8-2
is the Hardcover edt. 336 pages for $16.66

the normal edt. is devided into 2 soft cover's

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-...8646112&sr=8-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-...8646112&sr=8-3

book 1 has 256 pgs & $11.10
book 2 has 352 pgs & $13.59

so do I get the 1 hard back or the 2 soft backs??
thankz
Old 02-25-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Depends what you want.

Apparently, the softcover volume 1 contains the regular game walkthrough and some extras (maps, primer, mini poster)
softcover volume 2: Pokedex + postgame guide and some extras (bonus poster)

hardcover: volume 1 + Pokedex.

This is obviously just a money grab anyway.
Old 02-26-11, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Celebi is also one of the Pokemon that took the longest to come to the US and was the one holding me up for a decade completing a Pokedex. It was impossible to get without finding someone that got one in Japan or hacked their cart. Definitely get it while you can, Nintendo is bad about never offering these really rare ones twice in the US.
Anyone looking to pick up past Event Pokemon, check out this site that was mentioned on Gizmodo:

http://gts1.ceolbox.net/pkm
Old 02-26-11, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So do you download them to your computer and then how do you get them to your DS?
Old 02-26-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also curious to know how you load them to your DS. Plus, I'm thinking that it's only compatible to the US versions. Correct?
Old 02-26-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never mind, I think I found our answer in this page:

http://gts1.ceolbox.net/guide
Old 02-26-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, I'm sure you guys were aware of this but using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for the DS is a joke. WEP only???

I'm not changing my network settings in order to play the Pokemon games even though it means missing out on the time limited Pokemons.
Old 02-26-11, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quack
So do you download them to your computer and then how do you get them to your DS?
You don't have to download them to your PC, you get them right from this guy's server to your DS.

You update your WiFi settings on the DS (or just create a second one which is what I did) and turn off Auto DNS and have it point to his instead. You go to the web page and pick which Event Pokemon you want, and go to into the Global Trade Station in the game on your DS as if you were offering one of your Pokemon to trade, then it connects to his server instead of Nintendo's, and it sends you the Event Pokemon you chose.
Old 02-26-11, 03:00 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

yeah, I followed the directions from the website, and had no problems downloading the event pokemon. Thanks for the link. I've gone ahead and preordered both Black and White from Amazon now with the $10 credit they are including for each game.
Old 03-02-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

awesome site. some of the pokemon you get are dead, though, and cant seem to be revived. Anyone else experience this? ones i think this happened to: Acheous and Latinos
Old 03-02-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never played pokemon nor know anything about the show (is it still a show?) and I'm curious, is it possible to join up now game wise and not be completely behind the curve? Does it matter which color you get (black/white)
Old 03-02-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by squidget
I've never played pokemon nor know anything about the show (is it still a show?) and I'm curious, is it possible to join up now game wise and not be completely behind the curve? Does it matter which color you get (black/white)
The difference in color is usually just which pokemon you can get... some are exclusive to one version or another but can be traded across.

I don't think you'll miss anything starting off with this one, the game is usually fairly straightforward and doesn't require knowledge of any of the past games. Note that I have not played Black or White, but I assume it's similar, the basic formula hasn't changed much since the beginning: start off on a quest, beat some Gym masters, then beat some bosses and go onto post game stuff.
Old 03-07-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, starting today TRU has a buy 1, get 1 half off on all DS games, including the two new Pokemon games (but you can easily substitute something like Golden Sun or Dragon Quest VI if you only want one).
Old 03-07-11, 09:10 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squidget
I've actually been playing the Black version. This is my first Pokemon game ever and honestly I don't know anything about the franchise other than stuff like Team Rocket, Ash, and Pikachu. Otherwise I'm in the dark with regards to Pokemon.

Imagine my surprise that I find the game rather addictive and fun! The story is kind of "meh", but the gameplay, battles, and RPG-style level progression gives the game a lot of weight.
Old 03-14-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1 week in, and this may be the best of the games, at least from Generation III on.
Old 03-18-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up Black earlier this week. I'm not using the internet so I have no true idea whats going on (like you can only have 4 moves, and what animal is what, best party, etc.) I don't think I can do any sort of really PVP matches but I'm having fun.

Last edited by squidget; 03-18-11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-18-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't really done PvP in Pokemon, but I would imagine it's tough. There's a lot of calculation that goes into how to raise the pokemon, how to level them up, how to breed them,etc. It goes far beyond raising a pokemon you caught to maximum level (which is quite a grind already) and choosing the four best abilities. There are probably way more kids playing this, though, then, say , Street Fighter, so hopefully it's still fun.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.