Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
re: Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm still happy with my white PS Vita but yeah I love the thought of it being USB standard.
I mentioned this before, but in case you didn't see it :

Buy this adapter. It's cheap and works perfectly. Plug it into the USB end of your proprietary cable and you can charge your Vita with any USB power plug. I've actually forgotten where I put that charging brick since this little plug and my iPad charger work so well.
Old 11-22-13, 03:21 PM

BTW : We all knew this was coming, but now it looks official (at least in the UK) :

If anything is going to save the Vita as a viable platform, it's that bundle
Old 11-22-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I mentioned this before, but in case you didn't see it :

Buy this adapter. It's cheap and works perfectly. Plug it into the USB end of your proprietary cable and you can charge your Vita with any USB power plug. I've actually forgotten where I put that charging brick since this little plug and my iPad charger work so well.
Picked up one of these at Decker's suggestion. Absolutely worth the minimal price. Have no prob charging vita through an iphone charger with this.
Old 11-28-13, 10:25 AM

Heads-up : Free games!

Free PS Mobile Games for the Holidays

+ Posted by Jamaal Moore // Brand Marketing Manager of Emerging Platforms, SCEA

The end of the year is almost here, and we’re in a festive mood. Starting today, we will be giving away 10 free games (two each week for five weeks) to all PS Mobile gamers.

Between November 27th and December 18th of 2013, and then from January 8th through January 22nd of 2014, you can download two PS Mobile games to play on your PlayStation Certified smartphone, tablet, or PS Vita for free!

Every week, during the promotional period, we will announce which two games will be free on PlayStation.Blog. Keep checking back with us over the holiday season to find out what the next games in the Festive Giveaway will be.

The first two games, available later today, will be Passing Time and Rymdkapsel.

Passing Time by Honeyslug

Passing Time is a touch controlled football game from the developer behind Frobisher Says! on the PS Vita. Pass the ball and burn the opposition with a blistering fireball, prove your slow motion skills by mastering the rock ball and show off your one touch finesse with the explosive bomb ball.

Rymdkapsel by Martin Jonasson

Rymdkapsel is a relaxing, meditative strategy game set in the depths of space. It builds upon the legacy of Martin’s earlier games by requiring minimal user input, while needing highly strategic thinking to progress. You’re tasked with building the best possible space station by commanding your minions to collect and utilize the different resources at your disposal.

PS Vita owners can download these games from the PlayStation Mobile section of PlayStation Store. Owners of PlayStation certified devices such as the Sony Xperia Z smartphone, Wikipad or Sony Xperia Z tablet, can obtain them through the PlayStation Mobile Store. Click here for a full list of the certified devices or here for installation instructions.
Old 12-02-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All currently on sale at Amazon for $9.99 each:

Resistance Burning Skies
Little Big Planet
Gravity Rush
Unit 13
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
The Walking Dead

and memory cards on sale at Gamestop:

16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $20
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $40
Old 12-02-13, 10:08 AM

Amazon also has the 16 gig card for $19.99
Old 12-02-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

32gb card is OOO at GS already.
Old 12-02-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
32gb card is OOO at GS already.
Back in stock. Just ordered one; get em while they're available!

Edit - I received the confirmation but then a 2nd email that they're reviewing my order. I'm hoping it goes through.
Old 12-02-13, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan
Edit - I received the confirmation but then a 2nd email that they're reviewing my order.
Old 12-03-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The sale is over but no update on my order. I really hope it goes through. Still showing as Open on their site.
Old 12-05-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Update - I received shipment confirmation last night!
Old 12-15-13, 10:38 AM

Amazon has matched Gamestop with Tearaway for $19.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SX0UY/
Old 12-25-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went back to and finished Gaucamelee! this morning. I forgot how much I like that game. I didn't get the best ending though. The last two collect abeles are brutal. I think I'm going back to P4G to make a run at the Platinum.
Old 01-11-14, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
Amazon has matched Gamestop with Tearaway for $19.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SX0UY/
I bought it then, but I just started playing tearaway today. I sort of love it. It's not even remotely challenging (so far, but I can't imagine it gets much harder than this - it's a very breezy game), but it's SO charming and cute. Every time I catch a glimpse of myself there in the sun, I find I'm grinning like an idiot. It's just so whimsical and adorable. I love how you cna customize things and how the game really is designed around the Vita to incorporate you and your world into its story. Well worth the $20. Anyone else pick it up yet?

Also Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable is on sale in the PSN Store for $14.99 this week (down from regular, overpriced MSRP of $39.99) I'm tempted to get that one as well. Anyone get it yet?
Old 01-14-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like those wanting a white vita may have a second chance. Amazon has it for $199 with the OLED screen. Same one that was included in that AC bundle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFZ5KCG/
Old 02-10-14, 05:11 PM

New PS Vita Model Confirmed for US, Included in Borderlands 2 Bundle

+ Posted by John Koller // VP of Marketing - Home Consoles and Handheld Platforms, SCEA

Hey Vita fans, we’ve got some great news to share with you today. Since its reveal at the Tokyo Game Show, many of you have asked when the new PlayStation Vita model will be coming to North America. Today, we’re excited to announce the new PS Vita Wi-Fi model (PCH-2000 series) will be available via the Borderlands 2 Limited Edition PlayStation Vita Bundle this Spring. The bundle will include the new slim PS Vita system in black, the first-person role-playing shooter hit Borderlands 2 with six DLC packs, and an 8GB PS Vita memory card – all for $199.99 (MSRP).

Click here to see the full gallery

The new PS Vita Wi-Fi model is approximately 20-percent slimmer and 15-percent lighter than the original version, with rounded edges to fit comfortably in your hands. The new model comes with 1GB of internal memory built into the system, and its 5-inch front touchscreen has a new high-definition liquid crystal display (LCD), giving you a high quality image that provides the same deep, immersive gaming experience that’s at the core of the PS Vita system.

You won’t need to worry about purchasing an extra PS Vita memory card to play Borderlands 2 out of the box – the limited edition bundle comes with an 8GB memory card. Also, the battery life of the new PS Vita system has increased to 4-6 hours of game play, up from 3-5 hours in the current model, and about 7 hours of video play, up from 5 hours from the current model. Extra juice for those long game sessions!

Many of you have waited patiently for Borderlands 2 to come to the PS Vita system, and we’re pleased to bring it to you bundled with the new PS Vita model. The game utilizes the PS Vita system’s unique front touchscreen and rear touchpad feature so you can easily zoom and pan on maps, manage inventory, inspect items, and more. You can shoot and loot through Pandora with up to three of your PS Vita-toting friends via Infrastructure online play, and you can also cross save your progress with your PS3. As an added bonus, Borderlands 2 for PS Vita includes six downloadable content (DLC) packs: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate’s Booty, Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage, Psycho Character Class, Mechromancer Character Class, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 1 and the Collector’s Edition Pack.

If you haven’t played Borderlands 2 yet, the storyline follows six vault hunters through the world of Pandora in an attempt to defeat the notorious Handsome Jack of Hyperion Corporation. The Borderlands 2 Limited Edition PlayStation Vita Bundle is great for those who are new to the game, or if you’re already a fan, it’s a great way to experience Borderlands 2 again right in the palm of your hands.

As with all PlayStation hardware, the PS Vita system has evolved in so many ways in the last two years. At the launch of PS4, we introduced PS Vita system’s innovative Remote Play feature, making it the ultimate companion device for the PS4 system. We know how much all of you PS4 owners have enjoyed it – I know I have. Additionally, we recently demonstrated its compatibility with PlayStation Now, our new streaming game service that leverages cloud-based technology, allowing you to play a variety of PlayStation 3 games on the PS Vita system when the service launches later this year. And let’s not forget the great games launching on PS Vita this year – including Minecraft, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, God of War Collection and The Walking Dead Season 2. Our goal is to bring you more games to enjoy with our most powerful handheld console, and we look forward to announcing new titles for the PS Vita system this year
Old 02-10-14, 05:33 PM

Nothing about cutting the memory card prices? Those prices are what have kept me from buying a Vita. If they cut those prices in half, I'd be willing to buy one. I'd buy the bare Vita (no game, no 8GB card) for the same price as that bundle.
Old 02-10-14, 06:56 PM

They did cut the price of the cards, though they're still too expensive. Most of us have been able to get the 32 GB card for $40 at one time or another.
Old 02-10-14, 07:15 PM

They did, but not nearly enough. I'm not willing to hunt for the occasional, and usually sold out, 50% of sale. Even with a 50% off sale, the prices are still high.
Old 02-10-14, 07:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard the screen on the new one isn't as good as the screen on the current one.
Old 02-10-14, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I've heard the screen on the new one isn't as good as the screen on the current one.
From the IGN Review of the Japanese model :
Spoiler:

Trimming down, trading off.

→ December 11, 2013 The PS Vita hasn't been a tremendous success. Despite its exceptional library of games and well-designed hardware, stiff competition from Nintendo, the rise of smartphone and tablet gaming, and the high cost of entry have stunted its growth. But Sony isn't giving up. This year, it launched a redesigned model in Japan that makes the PS Vita slimmer, lighter, more colorful, and less expensive at the sacrifice of the original's gorgeous OLED display and more premium build. But was it a worthy tradeoff?

The new PS Vita trims the overall thickness of the launch model by 20%, going from 0.73" to 0.59", and the weight by 15% at just under half a pound. It's a considerable reduction that makes the system more comfortable to use and easier to carry around. The overall footprint is still large, but it's more manageable. It's not quite pocketable, but it feels more like a portable than the hefty, bulky design of the original.

The buttons and controls remain largely unchanged, save for a few small tweaks to the shape and size of the start, select, and PlayStation home button, which are now circular instead of narrow and oval. Otherwise, the thumbsticks, action buttons, and D-pad are all the same. On the rear, however, Sony has scaled down the touchpad in order to make the grips larger, thus limiting erroneous commands caused by fingers spilling over onto the touch panel. The smaller surface area makes landing taps and gestures in specific corners of the touchpad easier, which is especially helpful during remote play with the PS4.

On the top, Sony has removed the mysterious data port and security screw holes found on the previous model, leaving only the game card port. There are also a pair of new indicator LEDs — one that designates the power state and another to note new system notifications. In Japan, there's an array of new color options, including white, pink, blue, and green, which provide a much appreciated burst of color and capacity for personalization. There's no 3G variant at present, but given the added monthly cost and slow connection speeds, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

The build feels cheaper than the previous generation, but it's not a significant step back. In spite of the thinner, lightweight plastic, the new PS Vita is still well constructed and durable.

The biggest change, of course, is the new display. Sony has traded the launch model's stunning OLED display in favor of a comparatively cost-efficient traditional LCD. Though the resolution remains the same, the LCD loses some of the brightness and vibrant color representation of the OLED. It's slightly less effective in daytime lighting, but to be fair, the OLED was barely useable outdoors to begin with.

But transitioning to an LCD-based panel comes with some benefits, most notably battery life. During my testing, I was able to get up to 7 hours of battery life out of the new PS Vita — a two hour increase over the original's 5 hour average. What's more, the LCD's more muted color palette actually makes content look more natural than the OLED's oversaturated presentation. And speaking of power management, Sony has ditched the PS Vita's proprietary data and charging port and adopted a micro-USB connector — the same type used by the DualShock 4 and most smartphones and tablets.

The new PS Vita also adds internal storage — a feature critically absent from the first-generation version. Each unit ships with 1GB of built-in storage, which can be used for system updates and other game data, though in truth, buying a separate memory card is still a must, especially if you plan on downloading content from the PSN.

The Verdict

With cheaper hardware, the new PS Vita may seem like a step back for the platform, but it could be the key to its survival. The new design makes it more portable and more comfortable to use, and while the new display isn’t quite as nice as the original’s, it yields better battery life. Most importantly, it allows Sony to be competitive and flexible on price — which may make the system more accessible to a broader audience. And with features like remote play and cross-platform purchases, the PS Vita is quickly becoming an appealing companion to the PS4.

Now all Sony has to do is bring the new PS Vita to the rest of the world.

Great
The OLED may be gone, but the new PS Vita makes compelling improvements to portability, battery life, and usability. RT
Scott Lowe 11 Dec 2013

+Compact, lightweight design
+Improved battery life

– Inferior display
– Cheaper build
Old 02-10-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm not sure that's a good trade off. Now if they offered it at $150 (or $125 on sale), that would be a different story.
Old 02-11-14, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Is it safe to assume one could play Zen Pinball on the Vita via the PS4 or are there only specific games supported so far?
Old 02-11-14, 08:29 AM

You can, but I think it would make more sense to just play ZP2 on the Vita directly since it includes Vita versions of all the tables (not just the 15-18 currently available for the PS4. Plus of course you could play it anywhere with the Vita. It's really become my dedicated portable pinball machine
Old 02-11-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You can, but I think it would make more sense to just play ZP2 on the Vita directly since it includes Vita versions of all the tables (not just the 15-18 currently available for the PS4. Plus of course you could play it anywhere with the Vita. It's really become my dedicated portable pinball machine
what orientation/camera/button scheme do you use?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.