Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-12-12, 08:52 AM   #76
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Tomb Raider (a.k.a. Tomb Raider 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffer View Post
This game is such a rip off of Uncharted that its never going to get approved.
But wasn't Uncharted (a.k.a. Dude Raider) just a ripoff of Tomb Raider?
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 07-12-12, 12:15 PM   #77
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

So what's this I'm hearing about this game being a rape simulator?
Old 07-12-12, 12:37 PM   #78
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Huh?
So there's simultaneously a super secret team of giant robots and a super secret team of technologically enhanced super soldiers, and neither team knows about the other? The governments in these movies must be far more effective than our actual government. Well, damn it, I want some realism and mature adult themes in my giant robot and super soldier movies! - Suprmallet
Old 07-12-12, 12:37 PM   #79
Draven
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
There is a point in the game people have seen where sexual violence toward Lara is implied. And the developers have said things like "we want you to feel like you have to protect Lara".

Others are taking that to an extreme, probably to get page views on their sites.
Old 07-12-12, 12:39 PM   #80
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffer View Post
This game is such a rip off of Uncharted that its never going to get approved.
Approved?
Old 07-12-12, 12:44 PM   #81
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
There is a point in the game people have seen where sexual violence toward Lara is implied. And the developers have said things like "we want you to feel like you have to protect Lara".

Others are taking that to an extreme, probably to get page views on their sites.
So it's more like the antagonists threaten her with rape but they don't actually show her get sexually assaulted (wether on or offscreen)? If so, I don't see the big deal. Afterall, the player is taking on the role of Lara rather than that of her tormentors.
Old 07-12-12, 01:01 PM   #82
Groucho

So it's really more of a Daniel Tosh simulator then.
Old 07-12-12, 01:09 PM   #83
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
So it's really more of a Daniel Tosh simulator then.
Had to look him up on Wikipedia cos I never heard of him before. From his bio, I see he's into rape jokes.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-12-12 at 03:48 PM..
Old 07-12-12, 02:51 PM   #84
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
So it's more like the antagonists threaten her with rape but they don't actually show her get sexually assaulted (wether on or offscreen)? If so, I don't see the big deal. Afterall, the player is taking on the role of Lara rather than that of her tormentors.
I think people's issues stem from Laura's rape (or attempted rape) being used as a character building moment and/or an unnecessary victimization role. I'm not sure how this supposed "rape" will be presented, but I can sorta see both sides.
Old 07-12-12, 03:45 PM   #85
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I think people's issues stem from Laura's rape (or attempted rape) being used as a character building moment and/or an unnecessary victimization role. I'm not sure how this supposed "rape" will be presented, but I can sorta see both sides.
I get it but they're using it for her, making the victim prevail over her victimizers. Rather than the typical cliché where she's victimized so her male protector (brother, husband, boyfriend, etc.) will have an impetus for revenge. As long as it isn't an exploitative I Spit On Your Grave scenario, I can see it being effective.

But I get why it might irk some. After all, how many male video game characters ever deal with a Deliverance/The Shawshank Redemption scenario? There are none that come to my mind.
Old 11-13-12, 12:01 PM   #86
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.trueachievements.com/n113...n-detailed.htm
Old 11-13-12, 01:32 PM   #87
stingermck
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah. Shut up and take my money
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 11-13-12, 01:47 PM   #88
foxdvd
gamer for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
can I take her shirt off?

My Countdown Counting down to: THE FINAL
938 days 8 hours 43 minutes
Old 01-10-13, 08:33 PM   #89
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game will have a multiplayer mode (not co-op)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...er-multiplayer
Old 01-10-13, 09:23 PM   #90
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

i.e. more than likely the reason why the game was bumped.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 01-11-13, 09:26 AM   #91
Nausicaa
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The more I read about this game, the more I am bracing for complete disappointment. I have a feeling this game is going to do away with everything that made the Tomb Raider series great (exploration, puzzles) and instead give us a highly linear, story driven experience with lots of cut scenes and QTE boredom. And lots of shooting generic bad guys. I am expecting lots of mindless shooting.

I also don't like the gravity they seem to be adding to the character. This series doesn't need to be gritty, and I don't want to play as a battered Lara Croft incapable of the ridiculous stunts and platforming from previous titles.

And finally, this multiplayer nonsense. Completely unnecessary and if it's true the game got pushed back to tack this on, instead of focusing on making the single player as best it can be, I don't even really want to buy this.

I recently picked up Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Tomb Raider: Underground during the Steam sale for a total of $5. The quality of both titles is great, and they look awesome playing in 3D. I don't think this game will be better than either of those.

Traditional studio games have really been disappointing me lately. I don't know what it is, but all these big budget titles are just so cinematic and dull. I want to PLAY the fucking game, not watch a 5 minute cutscene, then run down a linear corridor gunning down generic bad guys to get to the next cut scene, occasionally taking cover to 'recharge' your health because you were just shot 30 times.

/rant
Old 01-11-13, 09:36 AM   #92
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Completely agree with you there. I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the very first game was released, but I have next to no interest in whatever this game is based on what I've seen and heard so far. The multiplayer news killed off whatever curiosity I had left.
Old 01-14-13, 03:36 PM   #93
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man I remember the first Tomb Raider and I spend a lot of time together. Have very fond memories. I think I may have played 2 and 3.

Which of this "Gen" Tomb Raiders comes closer to playing like the original?
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Old 01-14-13, 04:23 PM   #94
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm the opposite, this is the first Tomb Raider i've been interested in in years.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-14-13, 04:27 PM   #95
MoviePage
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Man I remember the first Tomb Raider and I spend a lot of time together. Have very fond memories. I think I may have played 2 and 3.

Probably Tomb Raider: Anniversary since it's just a remake of the first Tomb Raider (I haven't played it, but that is my understanding).

As far as "new" current-gen games, Tomb Raider: Legend still has the classic feel.
Old 01-14-13, 09:17 PM   #96
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post

Not a direct answer but Legend has more action. Underworld places a bigger focus on the puzzles.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 01-14-13, 09:43 PM   #97
stingermck
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Not a direct answer but Legend has more action. Underworld places a bigger focus on the puzzles.
And Anniversary is a split of both
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 01-15-13, 06:40 AM   #98
RocShemp
DVD Talk Hero

I would say Underworld feels closer to the first game. However, as the series progressed (before Legend was ever released), there was an increasing emphasis on the shooter aspects of the series. Angel of Darkness tried to go for an RPG approach so that would be the most radically different game in the series proper.
Old 01-15-13, 05:07 PM   #99
Drexl
DVD Talk Legend

Although I agree with Nausicaa's post, remember that in the time of the original, shooting mechanics were nowhere near as refined as they are in today's games. The PS1 games were designed for a controller with no analog sticks, with the game relying on a clunky auto-aiming system that would have worn out its welcome if there was much more shooting. Perhaps they might have included more shooting if the controllers were up to the task and the over-the-shoulder 1st-person-style aiming we take for granted now had been commonly used then.

Still, they shouldn't turn the game into another shooter.
Old 01-23-13, 02:32 AM   #100
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished watching a whole bunch od developer videos and I am really liking this. At first I was disappointed because I like the tomb/puzzle side of Lara ala TR1 but they say they have incorporated that into the game. Lets hope.
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Sponsored Links