Reload this Page >

Official LittleBigPlanet 2 Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-04-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,427 Likes on 893 Posts

Well, with the sequel just two weeks away, I thought it was time for a thread dedicated to the sequel. It really does look like a remarkable game. I'm really looking forward to this one.

The IGN review just went up.

<object id="vid_4d2260f3dad0bd3edf000f58" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/04/littlebigplanet-2-video-review?objectid=19675"/></object>

Closing Comments
There's no denying that LittleBigPlanet 2 is an amazing game. It's fun, clever, deep, engaging and great to try out with friends. The only issue is that some of the same frustrations from the last game are still present. Still, the ability to make games and not just levels outweighs any con. Even if you just want to play and never create, the fight to Ace every level, find every prize and earn every pin is going to keep you very busy -- and that's overlooking the simple fact of how much fun it is to ping-pong off a column of jump pads or use a grappling hook to swing around a level.

LittleBigPlanet 2 is a blast to play, and that's without the thousands of cool levels people are about to start posting.

IGN Ratings for LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide

9.0 Presentation
It's still easy to get around the interface to find new levels and jump into the story mode. Creation could be easier to use as I was frustrated here and there.

9.5 Graphics
The graphics have been enhanced and look sharper than ever. The colors pop, Sackboy looks great and every world has a unique style.

9.0 Sound
The soundtrack is packed with catchy beats, and the ability to add your own voice is a great addition. Creating songs via the sequencer is complicated but cool.

9.0 Gameplay
The platforming's as solid as ever, but the new additions like crazy shooting games and races make it even better. Creating is deep but intimidating.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
Beat the story and there are pins to unlock, prizes to find, and a whole bunch of community creations to try. Creation mode will still be love or hate for people.

OVERALL

Amazing

(out of 10)

And don't forget to check the awesome new community site www.lbp.me . It allows you to search for any level or player.

Last edited by Decker; 01-04-11 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 09:29 AM

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Official LittleBigPlanet 2 Thread

Wow, last time I checked this wasn't due until February. Good news that the date has been moved up to January 18!
Old 01-04-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it will be great
was disappointed in what was presented in the demo but really it is the user/community created content that shines at the end of the day

hopefully my copy from the Subway promo will arrive soon ... probably a day before street so they can back up their claim about winners getting the product early
Old 01-04-11, 10:03 AM

Some FAQs from IGN:

Can two local players both earn Trophies?

Yes, they can. Both players need profiles on the PS3 and those profiles have to be assigned to the correct PlayStation Network user name. Start up LBP, login as the respective names, and get to playing. If you earn Trophies, they're given to both profiles. However, to get them on the profile that isn't Player 1, you'll need to quit to the XMB, login as the other player and start LittleBigPlanet 2. From there, earned Trophies will start popping up.

Are there PlayStation Move levels in LittleBigPlanet 2?

No, there aren't. However, on the disc is Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves. This is a LBP demo that uses Move. The game is already available on the PlayStation Network, but buying LittleBigPlanet 2 gives you access as well.

Can I use my LittleBigPlanet DLC in LittleBigPlanet 2?

Yes, costumes, levels and stickers carry over from the original to the sequel.

I didn't buy any of the LittleBigPlanet DLC; will that stuff be in LittleBigPlanet 2?

It depends. Water came late to LBP and is in LittleBigPlanet 2, but the Metal Gear Solid Paintinator isn't -- you would need to buy that DLC to have the gun here.

Can I play user-created levels from the original game in LittleBigPlanet 2?

Yes, the more than 3.5 million user-created levels are posted in the community section.

Can I play user-created levels from LittleBigPlanet 2 in LittleBigPlanet?

No, all the content created in LittleBigPlanet 2 will need to be played via a LittleBigPlanet 2 disc.

Are there more than three planes (background, middle, foreground) in the game?

No, LittleBigPlanet 2 sticks with the three-plane system.

Can you create levels cooperatively?

Yes, if you have more than one player, everyone can create at once.

How does online co-op run this time?
In our tests, it runs very well.

How are the loads for created levels?
They're a bit long but no worse than in the original game.
Old 01-04-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rumor has it that the DLC from the GOTY edition DOES TRANSFER over. Whew!

Also, if no one saw it in the last thread, the Marvel Costume Pack #2 is $1.99 on Amazon. $4 cheaper than PSN. It has Thor and Spidey and some others, iirc.
Old 01-04-11, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by TLwizard View Post
Rumor has it that the DLC from the GOTY edition DOES TRANSFER over. Whew!
Yeah, apparently as long as you have a GOTY save file on your system, all the GOTY DLC transfers over. Nice.
Old 01-04-11, 11:58 AM

Joystiq's review is up.

Spoiler:

LittleBigPlanet 2 review: A celebration of creativity

by Griffin McElroy on Jan 4th 2011 12:04PM

Whether you fell wildly, profoundly in love with the original LittleBigPlanet, or whether you were turned off by its occasionally imprecise controls -- a foible which spells certain doom for platformers -- it's hard to deny that Media Molecule created something magical. Not only was it charming from toe to tip, it placed an unprecedented amount of attention on user-generated content. The most fervent, active members of its community understood the true joy of the game came not from being its player but, rather, its author. In other words, the creation tools weren't a compliment to the game: They were the main course.

However, even though some of the creations whipped up by LBP's master architects had convinced me otherwise, the game's tools couldn't be used to make everything. Media Molecule was clearly counting on this element of surprise when it came time to one-up the title. At GDC last year, studio co-founder Alex Evans quoted Henry Ford, saying, "If I asked them what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse. But I gave them a car."

Even in the half-joking manner in which the quote was used, I thought citing one of the grandfathers of automotive innovation seemed like hubris when coming from a video game developer. Now that I have the unimaginably expanded tools of LittleBigPlanet 2 at my disposal, I'm convinced that I was dead, dead wrong.

Let's start with the most obvious of these expansions: The new power-ups which Sackboy -- who's almost exclusively referred to by the much more gender-neutral moniker "Sack Thing" this time around -- can wield. The Creatinator (which allows Sack to shoot a projectile from his head), Grabinator (which allows Sack to lift and throw objects) and the Grappling Hook (which is a grappling hook) each add a remarkable amount of depth to the game, reflected in a number of the clever puzzles which pepper the Story mode.

LittleBigPlanet 2 isn't just a great platformer, it's a veritable celebration of creativity.

Though the entire game is unquestionably more entertaining with a second (Or third! Or fourth!) player, the shenanigans cooperative players can get into using these new devices are virtually infinite. If you or your Player Two have a mischievous streak, you'll spend a majority of your time hurling each other to your deaths, or grapple-dragging each other to your deaths, or shooting each other in the face with giant cakes, which is non-fatal but humiliating (and delightful) nonetheless.

There are more, fairly obscure changes beneath the surface as well, including Sackbots, which creators can program with a variety of behaviors and aesthetic qualities -- but the addition responsible for LittleBigPlanet 2's genre-bending capabilities is the (equally ridiculously named) Controllinator. This new tool lets creators assign various in-game functions to buttons on the DualShock, which opens up a number of possibilities which might be difficult to understand until you start tinkering around with it.

Fortunately, the game's exhaustive (but not exhausting!) tutorial process does a great job of succinctly showing you the ropes. After about an hour of guided, Stephen Fry-voiced lessons, you'll be whipping up complex creations that will blow the doors off of anything you could create in the series' first installment. Assuming it had doors, that is.

Almost all of the creation tools from the first game have been completely overhauled, allowing for a much more streamlined level design process. That doesn't mean that your encyclopedic knowledge of said tools' inner working is forfeit -- rather, it just means that creations that were once impossible are now possible, and creations that were once possible are now incredibly simple.

Here's a good example of this new design ethos in action: In the original LittleBigPlanet, creating movement required an interaction between an object, an anchor and a pulley or winch. In the sequel, this very tangible exchange has been boiled down to its core: Players can now attach a "Mover" to any object, which can be easily manipulated to send said object careening in any direction of the creator's choosing. What was once took minutes of calculation now requires only seconds -- and that philosophy applies to nearly every other aspect of design, as well.

All it takes to understand the many, many implications of these new tools and the streamlined way in which they interact is a playthrough of LittleBigPlanet 2's Story mode. Much like the original, it's designed to demonstrate what the Create mode is capable of; however, unlike the original, turning that demonstration into an engaging standalone product was clearly a top priority.

The Story mode, while brief, possesses plenty of satisfying challenges and brilliant puzzles -- and, thanks to the immense number of new gameplay mechanics present in the Create mode, it moves between genres with blinding speed. Each level introduces a new toy, puzzle or playground, whether it be a top-down race, a side-scrolling shooter or a friendly game of basketball, in which players can lift and throw one another. (I'd be a much larger fan of the sport if this were considered acceptable behavior in real life.)

Ideally, I'd be able to put this review off until a year or so after its release, long after the LittleBigCommunity has had a chance to take all the new features for a walk. The beta has already produced some truly phenomenal results -- featured creators have already whipped up levels that rival those from Media Molecule in terms of quality and cleverness (using the beta's incomplete set of tools, no less). Still, it seems like these authors have only scratched the surface of what LBP2 has to offer.

Then again, that's a tough thing to quantify. How much does LittleBigPlanet 2 have to offer? Well, infinity, I guess, but that sounds undeservedly clinical. Yes, it's an incredible platformer, categorically and exponentially improved over its predecessor, but there's a much larger picture that might take you a few evenings of madcap, freeform architecture to discover. LittleBigPlanet 2 isn't just a great platformer, it's a veritable celebration of creativity.

It's a refreshing reminder that these kinds of games, while extremely rare, are still being made by developers who are as passionate as -- and much, much smarter than -- the rest of us.

Old 01-04-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once I get through my game backlog, I'll be picking this up. So...I should have it by June, hopefully.
Old 01-04-11, 01:50 PM

My most anticipated game last year. =(

Can't wait to FINALLY have this in my hands. Pre-ordered the CE back in July 'cause my girlfriend wanted the plushie and bookends. =P Her and I have been playing the beta daily.

edit - 9.5 from GameInformer!

5/5 from GamePro

Last edited by spamurai; 01-04-11 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

I also pre-ordered the CE of this game and hoping to get it on the week of its release.
Old 01-04-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

I pre-ordered the CE too - I hope the plush Sack-Boy is well-made and not a piece of junk.
Old 01-04-11, 05:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also pre-ordered the CE. After seeing just a few of the levels built in the beta, I couldn't be more excited for this.
Old 01-08-11, 07:35 PM

Apparently the Marvel Costume Pack #2 on Amazon for $1.99 is now unlocking Costume Pack #1. Just tried it out (having already gotten #2) and did indeed get #1 when I downloaded it.

In case any one is interested.
Old 01-09-11, 02:49 AM

Apparently the Marvel Costume Pack #2 on Amazon for $1.99 is now unlocking Costume Pack #1. Just tried it out (having already gotten #2) and did indeed get #1 when I downloaded it.

In case any one is interested.
Ok, I had to read up on CAG because that explanation isn't exactly clear. Now it seems that when you buy the Marvel Pack #2 from Amazon (the #1 Best Seller in their PSN store, BTW), it now gives a code for Marvel Pack #1 despite what the description says. It's a very weird glitch and requires a $1.99 leap of faith for those who already got pack #2. But it did work for me. So thanks for the heads-up, TLW.
Old 01-09-11, 11:44 AM

Yes!

My apologies about not being clearer, but glad you were able to benefit. It does take a leap of faith, but I figured when I checked it out, if the code really was for pack 2, I could give it away or sell it.
Old 01-09-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I pre-ordered the CE too - I hope the plush Sack-Boy is well-made and not a piece of junk.
It should be the same one that I've seen at TRUS for 10+ bucks.
Old 01-10-11, 02:52 PM

Yes!

My apologies about not being clearer, but glad you were able to benefit. It does take a leap of faith, but I figured when I checked it out, if the code really was for pack 2, I could give it away or sell it.
no longer available on Amazon
Old 01-10-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 274 Likes on 211 Posts

Any word how long the campaign is? Discounting the need to collect everything (I love linear old school platformers, hate mindless collecting.)
Old 01-10-11, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Any word how long the campaign is? Discounting the need to collect everything (I love linear old school platformers, hate mindless collecting.)
The GamePro review above says 7 hours.
Old 01-10-11, 03:40 PM

Of course, once you complete the single player levels, you still have about an infinite number of user created levels to tackle.
Old 01-10-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 274 Likes on 211 Posts

Eh. I need some sort of narrative structure or ultimate goal to keep going. Stupid? Possibly, but thats what drives me forward. It's why I didn't get all that much out of LBP1.
Old 01-10-11, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Of course, once you complete the single player levels, you still have about an infinite number of user created levels to tackle.
Not infinite. Only about 3 million.
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Eh. I need some sort of narrative structure or ultimate goal to keep going. Stupid? Possibly, but thats what drives me forward. It's why I didn't get all that much out of LBP1.
I believe LBP2 adds the ability for creators to group levels together and create a larger story.
Old 01-10-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Not infinite. Only about 3 million. I believe LBP2 adds the ability for creators to group levels together and create a larger story.
with only about 0.05% of those likely worth even playing.
Old 01-10-11, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
Agreed. That's where this new www.lbp.me website will be useful in finding the diamonds among a hell of a lot of coal.

BTW : I finally checked out my copy of LBP GOTY (traded in the original game for it through a Best Buy promotion). Those bonus levels designed by community designers are really good. Some very talented folks out there. The guys get to introduce their own levels, which is a nice touch.
Old 01-10-11, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
Only 15,000 levels worth playing?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.