Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No games! Part I

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Official Kinect Discussion Thread: Look Ma! No Controllers! Part I

Internet words are Internet words. The thing is approaching 10M units already. Internet reaction has little to do with actual throughput as has been clearly demonstrated.

I'm just saying they need to be ready to revitalize it with something simple. I still personally don't see how it invalidates the ad campaign, but then again I'm rational.
Old 01-06-11, 10:33 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

8 million is about right...vgchartz has it at near 7 million and that is just through DEC 25th, and buzz on the system after Christmas is REAL strong....I have heard a lot of people saying how much they love it...word of mouth is strong..

Wow 8 million...this thing is going to make the 360 huge this year...

I never would have thought it...I thought it was overpriced and silly. Now my kids are asking for one after their friends at school talked about it....

So xbox is at 50 million units world wide...3 year left of sales, and last year they sold 13 million units. Will the xbox top 100 million world wide before the end of its run? At first I figured it would end up near 80 million, but with the momentum of the kinect I am not sure.
Old 01-06-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Of course I remember 2 years of E3 conferences with most folks shitting all over Natal/Kinect in general and yet here we are now...
... with a camera peripheral that works pretty well for dance and exercise games and provides a moderate degree of fidelity in simple sports mini-games. I don't think we've moved an iota from where we were at E3 seven months ago. No big games in the pipeline (at least announced) and the only "hardcore" or mainstream sports game that could conceivably be played with the Kinect apparently is incapable of integrating it.

So yeah, it looks like they're going to have to adopt some sort of Move or Wiimote-like wand peripheral for tracking (and maybe for trigger/release) and on some level admit "failure" of their core concept, or keep making party mini-games until people get sick of them.
Old 01-06-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
... with a camera peripheral that works pretty well for dance and exercise games and provides a moderate degree of fidelity in simple sports mini-games. I don't think we've moved an iota from where we were at E3 seven months ago. No big games in the pipeline (at least announced) and the only "hardcore" or mainstream sports game that could conceivably be played with the Kinect apparently is incapable of integrating it.
That you already bought being fully aware of what you said above.

Point being...I think they will evolve the unit and what it can do eventually, but they certainly don't have to at this point unfortunately. It's success, even in the demographic of people fully aware of it's own limitations, is most likely sending them a different message at the moment.
Old 01-06-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I will not at all be surprised to see that Star Wars game take the stage at E3 this year, this time with a peripheral in hand.
Old 01-06-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I will not at all be surprised to see that Star Wars game take the stage at E3 this year, this time with a peripheral in hand.
I.E. fanboys jackin' it.
Old 01-06-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I already know Kinect can track that limb.
Old 01-06-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I already know Kinect can track that limb.
Well..then there's your golf solution.
Old 01-06-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm talking the Masters, not putt-putt.
Old 01-06-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shagrath
MS always quotes actual units sold. It's Sony who says "sold" when they mean "shipped".
This time, they are actually saying shipped to stores. It's a change in their way of speaking.

I'm part of a gaming journalism group and they are discussing this right now - and Aaron Greenburg said this to Cliff Blezinski when he asked if it was actual sold, or shipped to stores "We have no channel inventory, so essentially the same #....every Kinect we make we sell."
Old 01-06-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
This time, they are actually saying shipped to stores. It's a change in their way of speaking.
Well, that's dumb. I didn't read the release or see the keynote, so I was just going off of past experience. That'll teach me to trust anything I've previously seen.
Old 01-06-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did watch the keynote and I could have sworn Ballmer said "sold". If they're just using the terms interchangeably now, that's dumb.
Old 01-06-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it is pretty shitty - but a great way to boost numbers like every other publisher out there.
Old 01-06-11, 11:48 AM

I'd happily trade 2 million units sold for one great, innovative new Kinect game in the pipeline.
Old 01-06-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You don't come off as bitter at all.
Old 01-06-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd happily trade 2 million units sold for one great, innovative new Kinect game in the pipeline.
I would bet Microsoft does not feel the same way...
Old 01-06-11, 12:07 PM

You don't come off as bitter at all.
I'm not actually. My wife loves Dance Central and my daughter and her friends play Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures. It might not be the best way to spend $200-$250 from my standpoint, but I kinda feel the same way about buying jewelry. So if they're happy, then I'm happy. Plus I'm hoping that the Kinect is a "gateway drug" for my wife to start trying other Xbox games we could play together, but I kinda doubt that.

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I would bet Microsoft does not feel the same way...
You're certainly right about that. But I still don't see why we should be so excited about 8 million units sold if it doesn't help us at all. Yes, it ensures that the system isn't a failure, but how much good did the bazillions of Wii units sold do us? It just ensured a steady stream of waggle-enabled shovelware. And by this point in it's life, the Wii had Zelda, Super Smash Brothers and Mario Galaxy in the pipeline. As superfro correctly pointed out, great sales without many great games just once again confirms that the public (myself included) are suckers and not demanding enough of quality software when it comes to motion control games.
Old 01-06-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Yeah, it is pretty shitty - but a great way to boost numbers like every other publisher out there.
Auto manufacturers have been doing this forever. They are sold technically -- M$ got paid.
Old 01-06-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All the nintendo games seem to be the same run jumP platformer type games they have done for decades.
Old 01-06-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I'm not actually. My wife loves Dance Central and my daughter and her friends play Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures. It might not be the best way to spend $200-$250 from my standpoint, but I kinda feel the same way about buying jewelry. So if they're happy, then I'm happy. Plus I'm hoping that the Kinect is a "gateway drug" for my wife to start trying other Xbox games we could play together, but I kinda doubt that.

You're certainly right about that. But I still don't see why we should be so excited about 8 million units sold if it doesn't help us at all. Yes, it ensures that the system isn't a failure, but how much good did the bazillions of Wii units sold do us? It just ensured a steady stream of waggle-enabled shovelware. And by this point in it's life, the Wii had Zelda, Super Smash Brothers and Mario Galaxy in the pipeline. As superfro correctly pointed out, great sales without many great games just once again confirms that the public (myself included) are suckers and not demanding enough of quality software when it comes to motion control games.
The hard part, for Microsoft, will be supporting the Kinect and supporting the Xbox users who don't have a Kinect, a problem that Nintendo didn't really have to concern themselves with. Even as Kinect owner, I don't want them focusing all of their resources making a "killer app" for the Kinect if that means less controller-based games, and I don't really see many games benefiting from having optional control schemes for controller and Kinect.
Old 01-07-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Microsoft doesn't really have any major first-party offerings do they? They ought to just build a killer team and make that team do some first-party Kinect titles. Then let the other developers and third-party folks continue doing what they do best.
Old 01-07-11, 12:10 PM

I don't think MS really does first-party development. They thrive on second-party exclusives via companies like Rare (who did Kinect Sports), Bungie and Epic.
Old 01-07-11, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think MS really does first-party development. They thrive on second-party exclusives via companies like Rare (who did Kinect Sports), Bungie and Epic.
Then that is a way they could start on driving Kinect without impacting other games and such. Start development on a couple first-party Kinect titles.

I want a spell slinging game. Voice commands, hand waving patterns... with or without the Harry Potter license will be fine. I just want to duel online in a method similar to the HP iPhone game.
Old 01-07-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a Kinect off craigslist. So I have two quick questions for the experts:

1. Is there any reason to keep Kinect Adventures? As in how will XBOX patch Kinect in the future? Will they do it through the disc of Kinect Adventures?

2. What is the calibration card for that comes in the games. It states to not lose it..but I don't see the purpose.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. Through the dashboard with OS/Firmware updates.

2. No idea, never used mine. Why get rid of it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.