Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Originally Posted by foxdvd
..but by the middle of my development the sword really started to shine...

now it is not even close...I can take people out in seconds with a sword compared to forever with my magic...I have perks on destruction...items that add to destruction...and I still just drain slowly enemies with magic, but a few swings with my sword...dead.....against some later enemies magic is starting to feel under-powered to me...
Totally! I'm not quite as far along as you, but I've been trying magic in one hand and a sword in the other, and I ended up ditching the magic hand, putting an ax in it and I am unstoppable - except for enemies that are far away, then I just quickly switch back, but it's not very often.

almost done with Dark...good but not as good as the Dark Brotherhood of Oblivion...(though that was one of the best story lines of any game ever)
Agreed. The Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion was better hidden, but yeah, it's missions and storyline there easily trumps everything in SkyRim. Though overall SkyRim is definitely the superior game.
Old 11-23-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(though that was one of the best story lines of any game ever)
Truth. That shit was ridiculous.
Old 11-23-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, destruction magic is definitely underpowered in this game. I used it for a while early on, but after about level 25 or so it got abandoned in favor of one-handed (which I had already been using) and sneak + archery (which is never-ending fun even if it is overpowered).

I guess they wanted people who are playing as true mage characters to use a combination of the various schools of spells. But who needs to build up destruction magic when every character gets essentially the same powers via shouts?

Some of the daedric quests in this game are really creative, and they usually have really good, unique rewards. I'd suggest going for those when you find one, since they're not really tied to anything else (that I've seen so far).
Old 11-23-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been a while since I posted, am mostly a lurker now but I thought I had to share this. I have Lydia as a companion and decided to marry Aela the Huntress (from the Companions). Before going on a quest where I knew I had to be alone I left both of them in my home in Whiterun.

Upon my return I found my wife dead and Lydia on all fours, wounded

I was thinking "how crazy is the AI ? Did they bicker and fight?" It was funny AND scary. Anyway I reloaded my save from entering the City and everything was fine this time
Old 11-23-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkfriend
Been a while since I posted, am mostly a lurker now but I thought I had to share this. I have Lydia as a companion and decided to marry Aela the Huntress (from the Companions). Before going on a quest where I knew I had to be alone I left both of them in my home in Whiterun.

I was thinking "how crazy is the AI ? Did they bicker and fight?" It was funny AND scary. Anyway I reloaded my save from entering the City and everything was fine this time

What happened there
Old 11-23-11, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Yeah, destruction magic is definitely underpowered in this game. I used it for a while early on, but after about level 25 or so it got abandoned in favor of one-handed (which I had already been using) and sneak + archery (which is never-ending fun even if it is overpowered).
now it is not even close...I can take people out in seconds with a sword compared to forever with my magic...against some later enemies magic is starting to feel under-powered to me...
This is a huge help to me b/c I was trying to decide between battle mage / pure mage / stealth archer, and I was only using destruction spells.

Looks like my level 6 high elf just decided that magic wasn't for him after all.
Old 11-23-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm putting my perk points into destruction and restoration with the rest into one handed weapons. It seems like leveling is happening way too fast in this game. I've only done about 9 quests and am already at lvl 25. I'll probably hit the lvl 50 cap way before I'm done with the game
Old 11-23-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
I'm putting my perk points into destruction and restoration with the rest into one handed weapons. It seems like leveling is happening way too fast in this game. I've only done about 9 quests and am already at lvl 25. I'll probably hit the lvl 50 cap way before I'm done with the game

Levels are based on your skills getting leveled. So if you spend a hour power leveling your smithing/enchanting, you will be level 10 in no time with equipment of a level 2.
Old 11-23-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkfriend

That's crazy

Maybe I should rethink my strategy. I mainly go dual cast and magic and the other times I am one handed sword and magic in the other. My character is a Brenton I believe I was kinda overwhelmed in the begining can someone tell me if I am using the coreect strategy.

Oh and CKMorpheus I just found out how to sprint over the weekend.
Old 11-23-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you sprint on Xbox? I just figured out how to wait lol
Old 11-23-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Left bumper. How the hell are all these people playing without knowing how to sprint?!
Old 11-23-11, 12:27 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was about 10 hours in before I knew I could sprint...lol
Old 11-23-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
Left bumper. How the hell are all these people playing without knowing how to sprint?!
You do walk pretty fast. I thought there was only one speed. Never played ES game before.
Old 11-23-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think one of the first things I do whenever I start a new game is press every button to see what it does, it's just a habit. Basically, it's my instruction manual, .
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
How do you sprint on Xbox? I just figured out how to wait lol
Wait? Is that when your standing around and hit X(xbox) or are you talking about the back button and kill time?
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I sprint all the time. I feel like I am playing Track and Field.
Old 11-23-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've died lol
Old 11-23-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Wait? Is that when your standing around and hit X(xbox) or are you talking about the back button and kill time?

The back button lol. I was about 8 hours in until i figured that out.
Old 11-23-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The back button lol. I was about 8 hours in until i figured that out.

Seriously...I'm going to punch everyone in here.
Old 11-23-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously...I'm going to punch everyone in here.
I come from the old school gaming of A/B button and that was it..even when you had the bumper keys (Like with the N64) many games didn't even use them heh.
Old 11-23-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This true?

Read some interesting things about this subject on Reddit this morning.

Apparently, your companions never get stronger - they keep the same stats they had when you met them for the very first time. So if you're like me and you got Lydia, Uthger, whoever, at the very beginning of the game, but are now around level 40, this explains why they still die so easily and don't do much damage regardless of how you equip them.

If you play on PC, however, you can fix this in the console!!!

First, make sure they aren't following you. Tell them you want to part ways.
Then, open up console, click on them, and enter "disable" and then "enable".
If you look at their stats now ("getav marksman" to check their archery skill, for example), they will be higher and level appropriate.

Also, if you're sick of worrying about them dying, or worrying about your magic or arrows killing them, you can make them essential/invulnerable.

"setessential" is the command for that, I believe.
Old 11-23-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I come from the old school gaming of A/B button and that was it..even when you had the bumper keys (Like with the N64) many games didn't even use them heh.
Sure they did. It's just that the Z button became the defacto left bumper because the controller was designed so you couldn't reach the actual L button when you were using the analog stick.
Old 11-23-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

This true?
Yes, that's true. But it's also true of your quests as well, meaning that when you initially get a quest, regardless of if you go on it or not, it gets locked into whatever level you were when you first got it. So if you pile up quests, then go on them many levels later, they will be much easier than they would have been if you went on them immediately.
Old 11-23-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
Yes, that's true. But it's also true of your quests as well, meaning that when you initially get a quest, regardless of if you go on it or not, it gets locked into whatever level you were when you first got it. So if you pile up quests, then go on them many levels later, they will be much easier than they would have been if you went on them immediately.
Yeah but the rewards will also scale?

That sucks about your NPCS
Old 11-23-11, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I didn't know you could equip them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.