Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Old 12-13-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, after 5 and a half years, I'd expect a new engine. I may also get this on the PC, because as good as these games are, they have a lot of bugs, and patches don't fix some of them. On the PC, there may be unofficial patches released by the community.
That is a good point. Maybe I should wait until the first patch comes out.
Old 12-13-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
After missing out on all the awesome Oblivion mods, I'm definitely getting this on PC.
I'll never go back.

Reznod's Mannequins, Adonnay's Elvin Weaponry, all the houses and castles, too many to list.

I was a console player too until not too long ago. I will only play Elder Scrolls on PC from now on.
Old 12-13-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

I'll probably get this on PC too, depending on the requirements. If I'd have to lower the detail to run it, I'll opt for the console version.
Old 12-17-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-17-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I'll never go back.

Reznod's Mannequins, Adonnay's Elvin Weaponry, all the houses and castles, too many to list.

I was a console player too until not too long ago. I will only play Elder Scrolls on PC from now on.
Have you tried the Elsweyr mod? It looks amazing, but I have a Mac. I wonder who the game would look over BootCamp...

Part of me just wants to drop a few on a new gaming rig so I can really go nuts - use some of those no draw distance mods and texture enhancements, etc. I haven't played PC games in years and I kind of miss it.

The only thing that worries me about Skyrim is the setting. Nothing but snowy landscapes would get old fast (I live in Chicago, I don't need any more snow). They could certainly make it work with a new engine, but if it's just like Oblivion with snow, it will be disappointing to me. Those were some of my least favorite environments.

If it ends up being enormous mountains with lots of caves and cliff sides it could be cool though. I just generally prefer lush, green environments.
Old 01-10-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Game Informer has blown the lid off the long-awaited sequel to Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Quite a bit has been revealed, including Fallout-style Perks, dynamic NPC interactions, a brand new engine and the ability to wear a beard. That latter news is obviously the best thing ever.

Check out the details below. Speaking as a fan of the brilliant, if flawed, Oblivion, this new chapter sounds absolutely stellar. So stop right there, criminal scum, take a peek at the details below, presented in a handy list format, and let us know if you're as hot for the game as I am.

* Set 200 years after Oblivion, in a snow realm north of Cyrodil called Skyrim. Set during a civil war, possibly between two brothers who will accidentally cause the world-destroying dragon Alduin to be born.
* Player is a Dragonborne, able to slay dragons and trained by the last living Blade.
* Ten races to choose from, players can edit bodies as well as faces.
* Combat more dynamic with finishing moves, unique weapon attacks and the ability to forge your own from red hot metal. Dual wielding a possibility.
* 18 skills to choose from, as well as Fallout-esque Perks
* NPCs more dynamic. They will move around as they talk to you, rather than have the camera zoom in for a headshot. If you drop items, they will react to them -- for instance, a helpful child might try to pick up a dropped sword and return it to you, or two men could fight over your discarded loot.
* Quests can be randomly generated and are tailored to suit your style of play. The game judges your strengths and weaknesses by logging your data, and will give your appropriate challenges.
* Five "massive" cities that you can do many things in, such as smithing, farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking. Killing a shopkeep could lead to someone else taking the store over now, and Dragons may possibly launch attacks on towns.
* Five magic schools: Destruction, Alteration, Conjuration, Restoration and Illusion.
* The engine is entirely new, with dynamic snow and shadows, detailed trees, and water that flows differently depending on how the wind is blowing.
* Confirmed enemies are zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth and saber-toothed cats.
* Third person view has been improved.
* Players can now sprint at the cost of stamina.
* BEARDS CONFIRMED! YOU CAN HAVE BEARDS!

http://www.destructoid.com/elder-scr...--191262.phtml

So happy they're getting rid of the horrible leveling system! This just made a day one purchase.
Old 01-10-11, 05:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

God, I cannot wait.
Old 01-10-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't geek out very often, but ...
Old 01-10-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Where does it say how the game will level? I haven't played Fallout 3 (but I keep meaning to do so).

What I didn't like about the leveling in Oblivion was how you had to plan it so carefully to do it right, and they almost encouraged you NOT to take the skills you want to use more as major skills. Everything could be raised to 100 anyway. What I would do is just make any 10 levels in skills another player level, give you the same amount of points to raise endurance/strength/etc. every time, and let your major skills max out at 120 instead of 100. That way you don't have to plan anything and you can take the major skills you actually want to use.
Old 01-10-11, 06:11 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, the inclusion of Fallout-esque perks does not mean it will use the Fallout leveling system.
Old 01-10-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

You had me at beards.
Old 01-11-11, 02:38 AM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by mhg83
* Player is a Dragonborne, able to slay dragons and trained by the last living Blade.

Zero to Hero, baby. I gotcha covered.

I may go PC for this one. Played Oblivion on the 360. Then again, all I use my 360 for is Rock Band now, so maybe I should get some more use out of it....

Oblivion was great though, looking forward to this. Not sure I'll have time to play it though lol.
Old 01-11-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Five magic schools? Why, that's better than four!
Old 01-11-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This month's Game Informer also has a healthy number of screenshots showing off the engine's new scenery, some of the leveling-up infrastructure, and the remodeled faces (which look tons better). It also shows off a few third-person shots. Looks phenomenal, so far.
Old 01-12-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait for this, I love Oblivion and still have tons to do in it but by all indications this should be even better.
Old 01-20-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Those screenshots look awesome - really amazing. Glad to see there is still a lot of variety in the environments.

I may need to buy a new gaming rig for this.
Old 02-24-11, 09:44 AM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ktexkeBpMCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-24-11, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Have you tried the Elsweyr mod? It looks amazing, but I have a Mac. I wonder who the game would look over BootCamp...

Part of me just wants to drop a few on a new gaming rig so I can really go nuts - use some of those no draw distance mods and texture enhancements, etc. I haven't played PC games in years and I kind of miss it.

The only thing that worries me about Skyrim is the setting. Nothing but snowy landscapes would get old fast (I live in Chicago, I don't need any more snow). They could certainly make it work with a new engine, but if it's just like Oblivion with snow, it will be disappointing to me. Those were some of my least favorite environments.

If it ends up being enormous mountains with lots of caves and cliff sides it could be cool though. I just generally prefer lush, green environments.

Skyrim is based on Scandinavia, not Greenland or Antacrtica.

BTW, if this game will be only Skyrim, it's probably going to be the smallest Elder Scrolls game yet.
Old 02-24-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, nice trailer!
Old 02-24-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

+1 My most anticipated game this year.
Old 02-24-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alxreys
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ktexkeBpMCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Just watched this fullscreen in 720p...

Old 02-24-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow definitely pre-ordering day 1. Oblivion was amazing (and still gets tons of play time from me) but this looks incredible.
Old 02-24-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Dear God...I need to find a way to hibernate until Nov.

I've already put aside a few vacation days for the release.
Old 02-24-11, 04:16 PM
Banned by request

Give to me. Give it to me NOW!
Old 02-24-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't normally get excited for games that are 9 months out, but for this one I'll make an exception.

I Must Have This Now!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.