Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Old 01-04-12, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Strangely, I've begun to have the loading issues all of the sudden.

I bought the game at release, finished it the next day, without any issues whatsover. A few weeks ago, I updated to the new patch, played through the entire campaign a second time with no problems, started some multiplayer for the first time ever (got to Level/Rank 18 in a few days, etc) all without any problem. Pretty sure the Firmware update had been installed by then, as well.

So today I decided to play a bit and have had nothing but problems. Sometimes the game boots up really quick (10 seconds or so), other times it fails to even get to the title screen.

If I manage to get far enough to actually play the game, it will eventually get to a point where the music will cut out and when that happens, the next death / cutscene / etc will bring it to a halt. Haven't been able to get a multiplayer match to load either, although I've only tried once.

My PS3 is a slim, about a year old. I highly doubt there's anything wrong with it since every other game works completely fine, devoid of any glitches, freezing, or anything else you can think of.

I just hope they work out a fix soon, since I was really getting into the multiplayer, and the Uncharted games are probably my favorite on the PS3. I have a million other games to play, so it's not the end of the world... but it really pisses me off when something I own doesn't work and there's nothing I can do about it.
Old 01-04-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts

I've been playing it for about a week and so far it has frozen while playing twice. Anyway it's been pretty good so far, on chapter 14 I believe.
Old 01-04-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone posted this to me over at Blu-Ray.com. I replied over there but I thought the technical info would be interesting to fans of the franchise here as well.

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Originally Posted by Classical gas View Post
For Uncharted 3, Naughty Dog developed a new Dynamic Lighting system. Since the cutscenes are rendered with the in-game engine, that lighting system was used in the final game rendering of the cutscenes. Cutscenes that were shown at E3 and Comic-Con did not use this system since the final game engine had not been developed by those events.
Interesting. But that lighting system sucks as evidenced by the bus scene that just looks like good old fashioned bloom set to max.

Originally Posted by Classical gas View Post
Naughty Dog also has a new Lead Character Artist, Sze Jones, who was responsible for the females in Uncharted 3. Hanno Hagedorn modeled the males. Here is an interesting interview with the both of them which describes the reasoning behind the changes they made to the character models:

http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/bts...th_naughty_dog
Thanks for the link. I'll be reading that right now.

EDIT: I gotta say, I loved her work on Marlowe. She's the best looking female character in the game (from a technical and visual standpoint). However, her work on Chloe and Elena (even discounting what has come before) looks very inferior by comparison. I wonder if she just did not have much time left after nailing the look of Marlowe.

Although I must admit a fondness for this render of Chloe:

Spoiler:
Old 01-06-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So i'm 14 chapters in, and I must ask, is there one thing that Nathan attempts to climb that doesn't break, seesaw, or fall once he jumps on it? This guy must weigh a ton.

Unless ND makes a huge change, I think I might sit part 4 out. By this point i'm just worn out. I don't know if they added all these shooting fights to pad out the playing time, but they are simply not fun. I've already killed more people in this game then I did in Modern Warfare 3.
Old 01-06-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dJuC9pGR4zE&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dJuC9pGR4zE&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
Unless ND makes a huge change, I think I might sit part 4 out. By this point i'm just worn out. I don't know if they added all these shooting fights to pad out the playing time, but they are simply not fun. I've already killed more people in this game then I did in Modern Warfare 3.
Did you not play the first two? Nate was a mass murderer by the end of the first game alone.
Old 01-06-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
I think they're done with it for a while anyway. ND's next game is The Last of Us. They aren't even really the developer of the PS Vita Uncharted title.
Old 01-06-12, 10:55 PM

I'm just curious about the fate of the series after this. As mentioned, the PS Vita game isn't being developed by Naughty Dog... just "overseen."

Naughty Dog have a history of just moving on after knocking out 3 or 4 franchise games in a generation. Things could be different now, since Uncharted is such a huge success. Jak and Daxter were great games, but they never got quite as huge; they weren't winning Game of the Year awards or anything.

With rumors of Sony and Microsoft possibly announcing new consoles this year, I highly doubt that we'll have Uncharted 4 on the PS3 come 2013. I suppose it's possible, but The Last of Us could very well be Naughty Dog's final game this generation. If I were Sony, I'd love to be able to have Uncharted 4 available at launch for the PS4.
Old 01-07-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 673 Likes on 480 Posts

Finished this last night. As others have stated, started off slow, but really picked up towards the middle. Not as good as the second one but still enjoyable. There seemed to be fewer puzzles and platforming and more shooting which is fine by me since I mostly play FPS. Didn't have any issue with aiming. However, I hated the brawling/melee stuff. When you are in a gunfight, it makes no sense whatsoever to have a guy two feet away from you starting to throw punches instead of, you now, shooting you. And when you engage in brawling/melee, then you have 2-3 other guys shooting at you... I usually just tried to back off and shoot the guy... Brawling/melee should be restricted to situations/environments where there are no guns involved (like the opening scene). Otherwise it's just silly. Other criticism, which have probably been mentioned already:

- Drake's movements still lack fluidity. He's still too "jumpy". You figure they would have fixed that by now...

- The quality of the graphics seemed to vary. I did much less standing around and admiring the scenery than I did in 2. Looks like Uncharted has fallen behind other games in that respect.

There was one instance near the end where I gut "stuck" into a ledge/floor:

Spoiler:
When everything is crumbling and you have to ride the mechanism/wheel up, I tried to grab a ledge/piece of floor above and ended up stuck in the floor with only the torso above. I had no legs.

- We know Drake is going to get into hairy situations and he won't die, so I'm all for suspending disbelief. But jeez, could you at least try for a bit more realism? Example:

Spoiler:

We go through an extended desert sequence where Drake hallucinates and is almost half dead. He barely manages to crawl to the "ghost town" and what does he do? Starts climbing walls, as nimble as ever, and fights a whole bunch of guys. Come on man!

- Is it me or was Chloe much sexier looking in previous installments? Did she have breast reduction surgery?

What I'd like to see in future games:

- Ability to use/drive vehicles. Chases on foot are fine, but I'd like more variety.

- Crossbows, knives, etc... not just guns. Add an element of stealth instead of just all out gun fights, although some might not like that.
Old 01-07-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
- Is it me or was Chloe much sexier looking in previous installments? Did she have breast reduction surgery?
It's not just you. Her face was totally changed (for the worse) and she seems to have missplaced her ass.

Elena was also changed for the worse.
Old 01-07-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- We know Drake is going to get into hairy situations and he won't die, so I'm all for suspending disbelief. But jeez, could you at least try for a bit more realism? Example:

Spoiler:

We go through an extended desert sequence where Drake hallucinates and is almost half dead. He barely manages to crawl to the "ghost town" and what does he do? Starts climbing walls, as nimble as ever, and fights a whole bunch of guys. Come on man!
That really bothered me as well.
Old 01-07-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah.
Spoiler:
Drake should have been struggling through the town and out of the dry well (much like he did from the hanging train in Uncharted 2 - although he got a second wind there as well) and Tazim should have made his rescue appearance the moment Drake first encountered the goons.
Old 01-07-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 673 Likes on 480 Posts

Exactly.

Spoiler:
And afterwards, it would have been easy enough for the Arab guy to say "we think they might be holding your friend (Sully) there" and go back and attack the place, only to find out he's not there. And then do the attack the convoy thing.
Old 01-08-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 491 Likes on 407 Posts

Spoiler:

I was laughing at this also. Just give him a well outside of the town.

What I'd like to see in future games:

- Ability to use/drive vehicles. Chases on foot are fine, but I'd like more variety.
Halo is a good example. The only remotely similar thing I can think of is manning a machine gun.

- Crossbows, knives, etc... not just guns. Add an element of stealth instead of just all out gun fights, although some might not like that.
The crossbows were lethal in the second game, and there are some stealth elements. Not a ton but some.
Old 01-09-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts

Finished it Friday,
Old 01-10-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished this last night...amazing game but didn't think it was better than the 2nd one. Hated the aiming for the first half of the game only because I realized half way through that I can change the aiming style; once I did that, I had a much better time.

Only two things really bothered me: the new looks for Chloe and Elena (their eye's looked especially weird), and the whole thing about how he was so energetic right after crawling through the desert half dead.

Glad Naughty Dog is taking a break from Uncharted and working on The Last of Us...Uncharted is one of my favorite franchises but I don't want to get burnt out on it. Maybe keep the next proper sequel for the PS4
Old 03-10-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I started this game on Friday Am.. and Just finished it this morning. Took about 11 hours on Normal and got 60% of the treasures on the first pass. Loved the game, as well as the series, but I think it's the weakest of the series so far. But I am glad there weren't any "monsters" this time.
Old 03-11-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to post. I finally finished this game a couple of weeks ago. I got it at release date and started playing it, but I just wasn't feeling it, then reached chapter 9, I think, the one in Syria (?), basically a lot of shooting, got stuck in one part and decided to take a break. That was a long break! Like 4-5 month break.

But anyway, after chapter 9 the rest was a great ride. Not too long, not too short, just perfect. It wasn't as great as the second one, but I would put it on part with the first game.
Old 03-12-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xPubpR6-V-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-12-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

not sure it that was lol or wtf!
Old 03-12-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 491 Likes on 407 Posts

Started this game again as part of an Uncharted marathon with my kids. This run reminded me that #2 has so many great sequences, and #3 can't quite measure up to it. Still a good game, though.

Just watched Fast Five and some of the set pieces would have fit well in this franchise.
Old 06-09-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I stayed up till 2 am finishing this game! Best series this gen. I really hope Naughty Dog makes Uncharted 4 after The Last Of Us. I think the reason these games look so good is they use a full color palette where 90 % of games this gen use mostly brown and gray.

The characters in this series are so well written, i keep thinking about what they are up to after the credits roll. Does Nate get more involved with Elena and get married eventually? Does Sully retire from treasure hunting?

The shooting got really annoying near the end but i really liked the on foot chase scenes. The action set pieces aren't as great as 2 but that game was flawless so it's really hard to top that game. My two favorites were the Ship scene and the Horseback chase scene.

This could be the first great movie based on a videogame if they get the right script and Director that knows what to do with the material. It's basically a modern day Indiana Jones movie. How hard is that to fuck up? (I'm not counting Indy 4

Also i still don't understand why Uncharted gets a Teen rating where i've killed hundreds of humans with guns and other weapons and a good amount of swearing, where Halo gets a Mature rating for killing Aliens that have green blood and little to no swearing.
Old 09-24-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 132 Posts

The GOTY edition comes out tomorrow for ~$40.00 is all the extra content worth it? I never play co-op or anyting like that. Seems like it is mainly for that stuff. I can get the regular one used for about $10-12. Just finished the second one. Yea I know I am behind the times...
Old 09-26-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think there was ever any single player DLC for this game. So if you have no interest in multiplayer, you're better off getting the regular release.
Old 09-26-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 425 Likes on 215 Posts

I acutally have this sitting in my backlog and was going to start it soon, but I'm a trophy whore, so I'm interested in any DLC that has trophies tied to it. How much of an investment is the DLC? Would I be better off selling my copy of UC3 while it's still sealed and picking up the GOTY? (I'm not worried about a loss on any initial investment, as I got it with points from Sony Rewards).