Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Old 01-02-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 360 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Originally Posted by Kory
Lol, whoops. I meant press a button to roll.
Ah, yeah I agree. That would make rolling much easier to control with precision.
Old 01-07-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

To prepare for this game i downloaded DKC3 off the virtual console. Fuck that game is hard! I must've died 30 times trying to complete a level. Then the next level is a boss. I forgot how hard these games can be. Now rethinking buying Returns. Is it just as hard as the snes games?
Old 01-08-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you find the SNES games hard, you're fucked when it comes to this. I don't find the SNES games difficult at all (although 3 probably is the "most difficult" of all of them), and this game is certainly a challenge in parts.
Old 01-08-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 360 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
To prepare for this game i downloaded DKC3 off the virtual console. Fuck that game is hard! I must've died 30 times trying to complete a level. Then the next level is a boss. I forgot how hard these games can be. Now rethinking buying Returns. Is it just as hard as the snes games?
It is very hard, in that you spend a lot of lives to get through. But that's offset by the fact that it's very easy to accumulate a ton of lives. On the whole, I've found the high difficulty to be thrilling and fun, not frustrating.

Last edited by kefrank; 01-08-11 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts

I don't think I ever made it to DKC3. Wasn't the N64 out, or right around the corner by the time that hit? I don't recall the first two ever being that difficult though.
Old 02-23-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im playing this game now and I fucking hate it. I played DKC 1 & 2 non stop as a kid and loved every second and never had a problem. This game frustrates the hell out of me. I dont know if its cuz Im older and I just dont have time, but I do not enjoy spending an hour on a level with gimmicky motion controls that fuck me over. Thank god I only paid $15 for this headache
Old 02-23-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,653 Likes on 4,544 Posts

Yeah, it's the stupid gimmicky motion controls that kill it. Shame too because it's a great looking game and had some real potential -- it could have been like Rayman Origins if not for that waggle crap.
Old 04-18-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the 3DS port also has 8 new levels. I'm stupid enough that I'll probably buy it for those alone. I have no use for the new easy mode.
Old 04-19-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
I have no use for the new easy mode.
That's exactly why I'm getting it. I thought it was a very well made game and I did enjoy nearly everything about it....except for the difficulty. Honestly, I actually found this to be more difficult than Dark Souls.
Old 04-19-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starseed1981
That's exactly why I'm getting it. I thought it was a very well made game and I did enjoy nearly everything about it....except for the difficulty. Honestly, I actually found this to be more difficult than Dark Souls.
Well I'm glad you'll get some use out of that. I would say the most challenging part of the game is those time trials. I haven't finished up the Wii version to 200% completion, but I keep coming back from time to time. It's just very time consuming. I'm pretty much done with the mirror mode, except for a few bosses that I haven't attempted. Still have some time trials left.

Which is why I'm not too happy that the new levels on the 3DS version can only be unlocked after playing through the game. I guess I can just breeze through it and not worry about collecting things.
Old 06-18-24, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 449 Posts

New HD version releasing on Switch which includes the extra stuff from the 3DS version. Coming out on 1/16/25. I never played either version but I'm looking forward to playing it with the easy mode from the 3DS version.