Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Old 11-29-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
The only part in that level that gave me any trouble was steering the bat and his blasts out of the way so I could get that G. Other than that, it wasn't bad.
I just don't think the rocket levels are all that fun. In fact, I think they're the opposite of fun.
Old 11-29-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
I just don't think the rocket levels are all that fun. In fact, I think they're the opposite of fun.
As much as I'm loving this game, I have to say the rocket barrel levels that require you to mash the A button in order to fly may be the single worst game mechanic ever to make it into a first party Nintendo game. Ugh.
You know you can just hold the button down to rise, right? You don't need to constantly push it.
Old 11-29-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear World 6,
FUCK YOU!
Thanks.
Old 11-30-10, 03:29 AM

well, i completed the main game a couple nights ago. but i still have tons of stuff to do. i only have 2 of the "k' levels open so far. and those time challenges are INSANE. i cant figure out how to get past bronze on most of them.

the final boss was refreshingly easy after all that insane platforming
Old 11-30-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I have what is probably a stupid question... One the first level, one of the letters is suspended between a pit, and I can't figure out how to get it. I tried throwing a barrel at it, but that didn't work. I thought maybe I was supposed to somehow use the nearby balloon, but couldn't figure out how.
Old 11-30-10, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by bralph
I have what is probably a stupid question... One the first level, one of the letters is suspended between a pit, and I can't figure out how to get it. I tried throwing a barrel at it, but that didn't work. I thought maybe I was supposed to somehow use the nearby balloon, but couldn't figure out how.
as in the original DKC games, you can do a roll into a pit followed by a quick jump to get yourself out of it. you will need to master this for later spots in the game
Old 11-30-10, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
as in the original DKC games, you can do a roll into a pit followed by a quick jump to get yourself out of it. you will need to master this for later spots in the game
Thanks, I'll try that. I never played the original.
Old 11-30-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,653 Likes on 4,544 Posts

The number of moves available and actually required for this game seems pretty overwhelming for a newcomer like me. I'm always messing up. The jumping with the grasping and the rolling moves especially.
Old 11-30-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

I'd say those sorts of moves are more difficult in this than in the original because of waggle-controls - while shaking the controller in this game is fairly responsive, it doesn't have the precision that a press of a button does.
Old 12-02-10, 12:09 AM

yea i wish they included the option to map the rolling to a button. and the "blowing" shouldve gotten cut completely.
Old 12-02-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

As much as I'm loving this game, I have to say the rocket barrel levels that require you to mash the A button in order to fly may be the single worst game mechanic ever to make it into a first party Nintendo game. Ugh.
You only mash the A button to start the rocket. After that you just hold A to rise and release to fall.

I made it to the final boss the other night and died about 10-15 before the game froze. I haven't been back to it yet, but had a question.
Spoiler:
I attempt to jump right as the red lights blink before the hands slam together, but I still get squashed every time. I'm assuming that's when you're meant to jump, but it's not working for me. Is there something I'm missing? I haven't felt like going back to the game just to get frustrated again. Finally making it past the rocket part and then dying only to start at the boss with only two hearts was really trying my patience.
Old 12-04-10, 09:08 PM

I had trouble with that rocket barrel too. This game is amazing! I'm starting world 3 now. The level with the waves was so awesome! I am surprised that they never thought of that for a platformer before. One surprise after another. Was anyone else freaked out by the giant octopus!? Man that was wild! I am very impressed with this game. Definitely not a let down.
Old 12-05-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I got this yesterday. Ugh, rolling with motion controls is absolutely horrible when going doing time attacks. You pretty much have to shake it non-stop if you want any hope of a gold. Even when doing levels normally, I usually like to roll a lot, but that isn't really plausible. The lack of classic controller support is really frustrating.
Old 12-06-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am to world 5 I believe it is. Wow, if you think the first part of the game is even remotely challenging then you haven't seen anything yet.

I love it!
Old 12-10-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 360 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm really loving this game. I'm almost through the end of world 4 and am having a blast! I'm dying a ton, but there are plenty of opportunities to rack up balloons. The game is very hard, but I haven't gotten frustrated yet. I mostly just find myself laughing at how insane some of it is.

As for the rocket barrel mechanic, I think it's far from the "single worst game mechanic ever to make it into a first party Nintendo game." In fact, I kind of like it. It's intentionally a challenge to handle and that's part of the thrill of those levels for me.

This is quickly shaping up to be possibly my favorite game of this gen. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for great side-scrolling platformers.
Old 12-10-10, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
I had trouble with that rocket barrel too. This game is amazing! I'm starting world 3 now. The level with the waves was so awesome! I am surprised that they never thought of that for a platformer before. One surprise after another. Was anyone else freaked out by the giant octopus!? Man that was wild! I am very impressed with this game. Definitely not a let down.
Looks like I am right behind you... I'm just finishing world two, and I also loved the octopus and waves. I've been able collect the KONG letters on most levels, but I don't think I have found all the puzzle pieces on a single one yet. Getting that balloon on the wave level wasn't easy either.
Old 12-26-10, 08:37 PM

I just got this yesterday for Christmas and am definitely enjoying it. I'm also a big fan of the original Super NES title and I like how they've managed to keep the spirit of DKC intact, but have taken it to a whole other level! One thing I will say is that the game is very challenging and I think this directly relates to the controls. I can totally see people getting frustrated with it (myself included) especially if you're trying to collect and unlock everything. I must've done one section over and over about 20 times in order to collect one of the damn puzzle pieces in world 1-3!! I'm a completist and have a hard time advancing to the next level in a game if I haven't "gotten everything."

Also, I honestly don't see how you could achieve gold medals on any of the time attacks. I was able to get a couple of silvers and a bronze one, but it just doesn't seem possible to get to the end of the level fast enough to earn gold. I might check youtube for some inspiration...
Old 12-26-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ltrain
Also, I honestly don't see how you could achieve gold medals on any of the time attacks. I was able to get a couple of silvers and a bronze one, but it just doesn't seem possible to get to the end of the level fast enough to earn gold. I might check youtube for some inspiration...
Roll them jump, roll then jump.
Old 12-26-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

I don't know why I bother getting all the "kong" letters in each level for every world. The bonus levels that open up when you get them all are practically impossible to play.
Old 12-27-10, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't know why I bother getting all the "kong" letters in each level for every world. The bonus levels that open up when you get them all are practically impossible to play.
Eh, I've got most every K-O-N-G on every level and have managed to beat the bonus levels, albeit after many tries. I appreciate the difficulty of the game in general, and the bonus levels in specific. Sometimes there does seem to be a bit of luck involved though.

Although, I still haven't beat the game yet; have been playing some other games and watching DVDs.

The letter that's the most difficult for me to get is on the level where where all the black bugs are chasing you; I forget which one it is, but I've tried over and over again and keep missing one of 'em.
Old 01-01-11, 02:42 PM

Got this for Christmas and just started playing it today. The time attack challenges are insane. I managed to get Gold on the first level, but then I found out that there's such thing as a Shiny Gold medal, and you have to get a few seconds faster than the Gold Medal time to get those. Nuts. I've read about people who got all of the Shiny Gold medals in the entire game. Crazy.

I love the game and the difficulty of it so far, but I hate the controls. I'd love to be able to just press a button to jump.
Old 01-01-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
The letter that's the most difficult for me to get is on the level where where all the black bugs are chasing you; I forget which one it is, but I've tried over and over again and keep missing one of 'em.
That level is pretty annoying. The thing that helps is to roll+jump a lot. You move a lot faster that way, and it gives you a bit of a cushion.

Unfortunately, it also highlights how horrible having to roll using motion controls is.
Old 01-01-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 231 Likes on 165 Posts

On world 3, having a lot of fun so far despite the disappointment of forced motion controls. I agree that they probably overcomplicated it a bit with the puzzle pieces and blowing, but loving the classic music and locations. It's pretty much the game I've wanted to see since the SNES days.
Old 01-02-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 360 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
I love the game and the difficulty of it so far, but I hate the controls. I'd love to be able to just press a button to jump.
Do you mean to pound? Because you do just press a button to jump, at least if you're playing with just the wiimote.
Old 01-02-11, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
Do you mean to pound? Because you do just press a button to jump, at least if you're playing with just the wiimote.
Lol, whoops. I meant press a button to roll.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.