DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Bizarre Creations - DEAD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/582135-bizarre-creations-dead.html)

chuckd21 11-16-10 12:21 PM

Bizarre Creations - DEAD

Looks like Bizarre is closing up shop. Activision destroys.

RichC2 11-16-10 12:21 PM

Re: Bizarre Creations - DEAD

I wasn't a big fan of their racing games (I'm not big into racing in general) but man did I love me some Geometry Wars.

chuckd21 11-16-10 12:23 PM

Blur was pretty good. It definitely grows on you. Which of course isn't good in the world of video games since if you don't sell 3mil at launch, you're dead.

fumanstan 11-16-10 12:29 PM

I know you're exaggerating, but I think not being able to sell a few hundred thousand copies of Blur didn't help. That and the mediocre reviewed Bloodstone.

Actual link: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/bizarr...s-closed/2731/

chuckd21 11-16-10 12:31 PM

Releasing Blur near Split/Second was dumb. Genre specific games can't survive when they all come out at the same time.

Matt 11-16-10 12:46 PM

(pours out a 40)

chuckd21 11-16-10 12:48 PM

I just want another Geometry Wars. Why they turned their back on that franchise I'll never know...

UncleGramps 11-16-10 12:50 PM

Bummer. Geo Wars and Blur were pretty awesome.

Matt 11-16-10 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 10493771)
I just want another Geometry Wars. Why they turned their back on that franchise I'll never know...

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4...ngameslogo.jpg

PixyJunket 11-16-10 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 10493771)

Stephen Cakebread had ideas for GW3, but he didn't want to do it yearly.

Originally Posted by MWB (Post 10493776)
radiangames

As much as I love them, they're not even in the same league..

pinata242 11-16-10 01:00 PM

Class.

Originally Posted by @mikehasnoluck
We don't have many openings at the moment, but I would welcome any and all of the Bizarre staff to hit us up at [email protected].

RichC2 11-16-10 01:05 PM

Considering Geometry Wars and Splosion Man are my favorite XBLA games it seems like a good mix to me.

Liver&Onions 11-16-10 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10493807)
Class.

Or the illusion of.

Real class would be saying "We have space for 15 RIGHT NOW to build a new game. Come on over."

fumanstan 11-16-10 01:08 PM

It's pretty normal for other studios to jump in when another studio closes or has massive layoffs to scoop up people. I've seen staffing people get sent out for interviews, etc pretty quickly.

PixyJunket 11-16-10 01:12 PM

Bizarre Creations is (was, sigh) based in Liverpool, Twisted Pixel is in Austin, Texas.

pinata242 11-16-10 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 10493834)
Bizarre Creations is (was, sigh) based in Liverpool, Twisted Pixel is in Austin, Texas.

And?

PixyJunket 11-16-10 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10493837)
And?

The market right now is obviously extremely unstable and volatile.

Would you relocate to another continent for a job under those conditions?

pinata242 11-16-10 01:18 PM

Yes, I would. If it was something I loved doing and was skilled enough to be offered (even as an illusion) a job with a team that I respect and think knows what they're doing and has already shown to have a few projects in the works. Yes, yes I would.

I certainly would send an email.

Groucho 11-16-10 01:25 PM

Looking at their list of games, Geometry Wars 2 was the only one I've played in depth. And it was superb. Here's hoping the developers all land on their feet.

fumanstan 11-16-10 01:27 PM

http://kotaku.com/5691455/bizarre-de...may-get-closed

"Over the past three years since our purchase of Bizarre Creations," an Activision spokesperson told Kotaku today, "the fundamentals of the racing genre have changed significantly. Although we made a substantial investment in creating a new IP, Blur, it did not find a commercial audience. Bizarre is a very talented team of developers, however, because of the broader economic factors impacting the market, we are exploring our options regarding the future of the studio, including a potential sale of the business."
Maybe they'll get sold.

And really, the number of people that would move from England to Texas is probably limited.

chuckd21 11-16-10 01:51 PM

So, we recognize their talent, but we better sell them off. Genius.

fumanstan 11-16-10 01:59 PM

Well keeping a developer that makes games that under perform or lose money isn't exactly smart either, is it? I think it seems weird to ditch them already so soon after the purchase, but it kind of makes sense to me although I know everyone wants to rip Activision by default. I am curious what happens to smaller things like Geometry Wars though and if it just gets handed off to a small team if they want to continue making them.

hail2dking 11-16-10 02:39 PM

Sweet...just in time for Microsoft's PGR Reboot...

Decker 11-16-10 04:02 PM

Bummer. First Realtime Worlds and now Bizzarre Creations. It seems it doesn't matter what you've done in the past, if your new big-budget title bombs, your studio can be shuttered in a matter of weeks. Scary business.

maingon 11-16-10 04:06 PM

wow. I heard this and was suprised they usually developed great games. Sad to see this.