DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest/Warrior (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/581255-final-fantasy-vs-dragon-quest-warrior.html)

FRwL 10-27-10 05:59 PM

Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest/Warrior

Which series do you like more? I've never played the DQ games and 4 is one of the games that i've heard a LOT of good things for an NES game so i'm curious which series do you like more. FF6 is my fav and i've beat 4, played 5 and 7 too... also what's the differences between the two series?

ultimaton 10-27-10 07:30 PM

Re: Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest/Warrior

I enjoy both series. Here's how I sort of compare the two:

Final Fantasy focuses more on story and kind of tries to reinvent itself every iteration.

Dragon Quest focuses more the game play and remains very traditional in it's approach.

Chris_D 10-27-10 07:31 PM

I've played DQ5, DQ8, and DQ9. All are decent games but one thing DQ games seem to miss is compelling characters and stories. DQ9 even has you making your own party members from scratch rather than having characters who propel the story onwards. Obviously it's a matter of taste but I prefer the FF series because of the increased focus on story and characters. Naturally that means the series sometimes falls flat like with FF9 which was a complete snorefest. Also, the early FFs (4 and before) don't really hold up with their relatively shallow stories and characters (limited by cartridge sizes at the time).
[

fujishig 10-27-10 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 10456417)
I've played DQ5, DQ8, and DQ9. All are decent games but one thing DQ games seem to miss is compelling characters and stories. DQ9 even has you making your own party members from scratch rather than having characters who propel the story onwards. Obviously it's a matter of taste but I prefer the FF series because of the increased focus on story and characters. Naturally that means the series sometimes falls flat like with FF9 which was a complete snorefest. Also, the early FFs (4 and before) don't really hold up with their relatively shallow stories and characters (limited by cartridge sizes at the time).
[

Wait, you mean FF8 and not 9, right? Right? Because 8 was the one with the rather generic characters, who differed only by limit breaks in combat, and 9 was the one where the characters were very distinct, locked into classes, and had all the references to past FF games.

In the current generation, FF has all the cutscenes and ever-changing battle systems with an emphasis on graphics, and DQ has kinda the same old fighting engine with a de-emphasis on graphics (hence the DS) and more of an emphasis on grinding. I'd say both have games that develop characters relatively well, and both have games where the characters are indistinguishable from each other.

pinata242 10-27-10 09:12 PM

I loved FF and DW on the NES. I never really got into the SNES as much as my friends did (didn't own one :() and therefore missed FFIV.

However, in between I was able to fall in love with DW2/3/4. DWVII was my big reintroduction into the world of console gaming after college and baby. Likewise, I had already missed FFVII and VIII and never gave them much attention. The closest I got to that world was Kingdom Hearts and that Advent Children movie. That was all I needed to know I didn't care.

Much later, I tried going back and starting with FFII, but it just never stuck. Even now DQ has pushed me away with its focus on jobs and generic companions less on characters and story.

Chris_D 10-28-10 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 10456598)
Wait, you mean FF8 and not 9, right? Right? Because 8 was the one with the rather generic characters, who differed only by limit breaks in combat, and 9 was the one where the characters were very distinct, locked into classes, and had all the references to past FF games.

In the current generation, FF has all the cutscenes and ever-changing battle systems with an emphasis on graphics, and DQ has kinda the same old fighting engine with a de-emphasis on graphics (hence the DS) and more of an emphasis on grinding. I'd say both have games that develop characters relatively well, and both have games where the characters are indistinguishable from each other.

Nah, I liked FF8 a lot although it doesn't hold up so well these days. Still can't understand the love for 9. I assume there must be something in it that harkens back to fans of the series in the NES/SNES days (I was a Sega guy), but I can't see it.

I wouldn't say that all FF games have good characters (by a long shot) but character and story seem to be the driving force in that series while they always take a back seat to gameplay in the DQ games.

MoviePage 10-28-10 08:09 AM

I love both series and have played the majority of games for each, but I think I prefer Dragon Quest. I like some fantasy in my fantasy and Final Fantasy continues moving further away from fantasy.

Also, fantasy.

eisenreich 10-28-10 08:33 AM

I've never played any of the DQ games despite finishing most of the FF franchise (with the exception of the spin-offs, FF-X2, etc..) I appreciate the edge FF has in terms of story, character development, and music.

Thanks to the Snesoid emulator on my Droid, this year I've already replayed FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and am currently working through the translated Japanese FFV. Maybe it's just because I grew up during the snes era, but these games have always held more appeal to me than the latest generation editions of the series. That said, I'll still jump right back into FFXIII now that the weather is getting cold again. Wandering the world and levelling up make for a great distraction on the bike trainer.

PixyJunket 10-28-10 08:58 AM

Basically, pick Dragon Quest if you want to play a game, pick Final Fantasy if you want to watch a game.

Exceptions on Final Fantasy include IV, V, VI and IX, as far as "mainline" games go, those are all extremely excellent games. IX is a great hybrid of classic FF gameplay with newer FF storytelling (although less stupid and pretentious). It also has one of my favorite skill systems, where you learn new abilities through different weapons. The story is also rather simple and charming, a stark contrast to other newer Final Fantasy games that are just dumb as shit in every area concerning character and story.

For Dragon Quest, I'd say skip VII, it's a mess of a game with a broken class system and a slow, prodding, overly long main quest. IV and V are the best in the series, great combination of strong gameplay and unique story telling (IV with the various character chapters and V with the three generation family arc).

Maxflier 10-28-10 09:14 AM

I have limited experience with both, but having played and beaten (and enjoying the hell out of) the first Dragon Warrior when I was a kid, I cast my vote for that series.

FRwL 10-28-10 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 10457446)
Basically, pick Dragon Quest if you want to play a game, pick Final Fantasy if you want to watch a game.

Exceptions on Final Fantasy include IV, V, VI and IX, as far as "mainline" games go, those are all extremely excellent games. IX is a great hybrid of classic FF gameplay with newer FF storytelling (although less stupid and pretentious). It also has one of my favorite skill systems, where you learn new abilities through different weapons. The story is also rather simple and charming, a stark contrast to other newer Final Fantasy games that are just dumb as shit in every area concerning character and story.

For Dragon Quest, I'd say skip VII, it's a mess of a game with a broken class system and a slow, prodding, overly long main quest. IV and V are the best in the series, great combination of strong gameplay and unique story telling (IV with the various character chapters and V with the three generation family arc).

I'm glad you skipped FF7, i'm on your wavelength there, even as a kid i was befuddled by why so many liked it (although i was more N64 Zelda) even though i got up right to the end before not giving a crap anymore, and i do hear now that FF9 is shaping up to be the best of the 3D ones which seems more right. That is interesting you point out DQ 5 as one of the two best in there, going to check that one out. I really wish they did DQ 4 on the Gameboy color like they did 1-3 because i still want to play it in its original form and not 3D and looks like they predictably screw up other things like giving things more boring names.

Noonan 10-28-10 03:24 PM

This is a tough one. I agree with what's been said above for the most part. DQ is gameplay driven, while FF is story driven. In the end, I'd have to give FF the nod since 3 of my 5 favorite RPG's are from that series, 4, FFT, & XII. I know I'm in the vast minority with XII but only 3 non on-line games have kept me hooked long enough to end with 100+ hours of play. The other two are Morrowind and Oblivion. DQ8 came close...I think I ended at around 86 hours with that one.

PixyJunket 10-28-10 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FRwL (Post 10458480)
I'm glad you skipped FF7, i'm on your wavelength there, even as a kid i was befuddled by why so many liked it (although i was more N64 Zelda) even though i got up right to the end before not giving a crap anymore, and i do hear now that FF9 is shaping up to be the best of the 3D ones which seems more right. That is interesting you point out DQ 5 as one of the two best in there, going to check that one out. I really wish they did DQ 4 on the Gameboy color like they did 1-3 because i still want to play it in its original form and not 3D and looks like they predictably screw up other things like giving things more boring names.

Oh, I could list several reasons why FF VII was so popular, but I've beaten that dead horse quite enough, I've moved on.

But I do think if you disliked VII you may enjoy IX, it's more gameplay focused. If childhood nostalgia didn't have such an effect on IV and VI for me, IX would probably be my favorite game in the series. If you have a PS3 or PSP, you can grab the game for a Hamilton on PSN.

Absolutely get the DS version of Dragon Quest IV and V, they are wonderful.

Grab V now, it was printed in a limited quantity and will be expensive to track down soon.

FRwL 10-28-10 03:32 PM

Yeah first gotta get a DS too...
FF6 is really great though (7 felt like 6 but crappier characters/story). Btw if DQ 6 is not at 4/5 level how is it?

PixyJunket 10-28-10 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by FRwL (Post 10458544)
Yeah first gotta get a DS too...
FF6 is really great though (7 felt like 6 but crappier characters/story). Btw if DQ 6 is not at 4/5 level is it still better than 7?

Dragon Quest VI has the problems of VII's class system but on a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH smaller scale, so it's not really an issue. VI also does not move at a glacier pace.

FRwL 11-01-10 07:25 PM

I wonder why 4 didn't come out on GBC like the previous ones did.

Dash 11-02-10 10:16 AM

This thread makes me want to go find my NES. I have DW I,II,III and IV though I’ve only played the 1st. ( I get to the very end and the Dragon lord kicks my butt every time). I also have FF I-III,VII and X. I haven’t really played any of the newer ones or have had the time to get into them. But I’m a huge fan or the originals and think they hold up well though I guess I don’t have much to compare them against.

fujishig 11-02-10 11:44 AM

I don't think DW/DQ1 holds up all that well. I like that the GBC cartridge included both 1 and 2,and made leveling on 1 less of a grind. Still an important game in the history of the RPG.

FRwL 11-02-10 01:12 PM

Damn lucky you have 4, that's the one i really wanted to play since i heard enemies have AI and learn from your patterns which is mindblowing for an NES game.

PixyJunket 11-02-10 01:22 PM

I have an extra copy of Dragon Warrior IV for NES with a slight crack in the casing I could sell.

Setzer 11-03-10 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 10457446)
pick Final Fantasy if you want to watch a game.

I would say that's true for every FF game after VI.

Chris_D 11-03-10 02:44 AM

FFXIII might be better if they removed the gameplay parts actually :p.

Setzer 11-03-10 02:51 AM

I like both series equally. If you would have asked me this question about 10 years ago I would have said FF, easily. Ever since FFIX this series has pretty much gone down hill with the exception of maybe XII, which I thought was pretty well done.

big e 11-03-10 09:26 AM

I am going to have to give the edge to Final Fantasy here, but only because I never got into Dragon Quest (I had roms of DQ 1 & 2 at one point, but never really played them).

With regards to FF7, I kind of have a love-hate relationship with it. I liked it when I played it 10/11 years ago, (I don't know if I could say the same today) but it was also the game that made FF mainstream, which I didn't care for. I first began playing FF around '97 beginning with IV & VI on SNES. At that time the only people I knew who played FF were me and a few of my friends. Within a year of VII coming out, everybody I knew who had a PlayStation had played that game and over the years no one would ever shut up about how great they thought it was. Don't get me wrong, as I said I liked it when I played it, but looking back I never thought it was this mind blowing game everybody keeps making it out to be (and lets be honest, a lot of guys like it b/c Tiffa has big boobs).

After VII the games started going downhill for me personally. VIII I just plain didn't like and I couldn't stand any of the characters in IX. I also never felt this nostalgic feeling a few other posters mentioned about IX, but then again I never really played the original FF despite owning it on NES.

FRwL 11-03-10 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 10468064)
I have an extra copy of Dragon Warrior IV for NES with a slight crack in the casing I could sell.

Nah ill just look around.