Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Old 11-30-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Originally Posted by jdpatri View Post
Wow. I'm surprised at how many people don't like this game because its not Burnout. I love this game for everything about it that's not Burnout. I can just keep hopping from race to race without tooling about listlessly in between.
Well, that's how Burnout used to be, before Paradise. And this game still can't compare with those older Burnout games. It just feels uninspired - just like the work-for-hire game it is. Since it's not Criterion's baby, there's no passion in it like there is in their Burnout games.
Old 11-30-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passion or not, they did a lot of little things right.
Old 11-30-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't suggesting that it's a bad game or that they did anything "wrong" - it's just lacking that extra, intangible something that made the Burnout games special which put them above other, already good, racing games.
Old 11-30-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love them both. Within the racing genre, these are two totally different types of games. The only common link (aside from the developer) is speed.
Old 11-30-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 805 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri View Post
Passion or not, they did a lot of little things right.
GT5 is absolutely filled with passion, and yet I'd rather play NFS Hot Pursuit.
Old 11-30-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Wasn't suggesting that it's a bad game or that they did anything "wrong" - it's just lacking that extra, intangible something that made the Burnout games special which put them above other, already good, racing games.
Fair enough. On the same token, however, I don't have truly fond memories of any of the older Burnout titles.
Old 12-05-10, 07:30 AM

Just started playing this again this morning after getting a little distracted with other things (AC:Brotherhood). I'm really liking the integration of the friend leaderboard stuff. When I played a few weeks ago, no one on my list had anything up, I already did one race a number of times this morning because I was within half a second of the next person on my list.
Old 12-16-10, 09:24 PM

Just started playing this, loving the Cop mode! I haven't even played any of the regular races after getting hooked on the Cop ones.

It seems like you unlock new cars so fast that you don't even get a chance to try some of them before you've unlocked two more. There are still some of the cop cars I haven't even tried yet. What cop cars are most people using?
Old 12-17-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cop mode is all I play. However...

I love the chase missions, but the "get to one place as fast as you can" races are lame. I want more chasing and murdering street racers.
Old 12-17-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too have to get off the Assassin's Creed binge and get back to some Hot Pursuit.
Old 12-17-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up getting this game for cheap ($40, PS3 version), and it's certainly better than I remember the demo being, but it seems overly difficult to me - especially the time-trial stuff, as I'm having a bitch of a time just getting silvers, and the golds are completely out of my reach, whereas most other racing games, I can get golds without too much effort. Am I not supposed to get golds right away - should I be doing these later when I get better cars? (although, a few of these, you don't get a choice of cars).

Also, I really hate not being able to see the track; there's no traffic, then suddenly, there's cars in both lanes at the same time, with no time or room for me to avoid them. The main fault lies in the camera - there's only three camera views, and all of them are far too close to the ground, making it almost impossible to properly see the road in front of you. The obviously do this to make the sense of speed greater, but it's at the cost of visibility and playability. It's just really frustrating, as I'd rather focus on actual racing rather than track memorization.
Old 12-17-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use whatever cop car is the fastest.

The time-trial races are typical Criterion stuff. You have to be perfect in order to get golds. Ever play Burnout Revenge? Those were just brutal.
Old 12-17-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

Also, I really hate not being able to see the track; there's no traffic, then suddenly, there's cars in both lanes at the same time, with no time or room for me to avoid them. The main fault lies in the camera - there's only three camera views, and all of them are far too close to the ground, making it almost impossible to properly see the road in front of you. The obviously do this to make the sense of speed greater, but it's at the cost of visibility and playability. It's just really frustrating, as I'd rather focus on actual racing rather than track memorization.
There is a little warning sign on the screen when you're approaching oncoming traffic. It helps a bit as a warning to get on the right side of the road. As you said, when cars are in both lines it can be troublesome.

Last edited by jdpatri; 12-17-10 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is??
Old 12-17-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed no warning sign - but even if I did, taking my eye off the road to look at any part of the HUD on the sides/corners of the screen, for even a fraction of a second, is long enough to make me lose control and/or crash.
Old 12-19-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's an Autolog app out for iDevices. Gives you your leaderboards, your wall, etc. Pretty cool for a free app, and I wish more games did this (cough, Rock Band, cough).
Old 12-19-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Neat, I'll have to check out the autolog app.

I'm also certain there is no warning symbol when traffic is ahead.
Old 12-31-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has everyone moved on to something else? I've gotten to the point where every race I finish, I'm alone on the leaderboard.
Old 12-31-10, 05:48 PM

I got sidetracked by other games a few weeks ago. I'll probably be back into it within a couple of weeks.
Old 01-01-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by murray731 View Post
I got sidetracked by other games a few weeks ago. I'll probably be back into it within a couple of weeks.
Same here. I always know I'll go back to NFS though.
Old 05-09-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone still playing this? The servers online are starting to be a ghost town. I want to get the interceptor and race achievements, but can't find anyone online.
Old 05-09-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was really disappointed in this game and traded it in for Portal 2. There were too many time trial type races and not enough hot pursuit type races IMO.
Old 05-09-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the timed races really killed it for me. Criterion needs to get back to Burnout, STAT!
Old 05-09-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDChris View Post
anyone still playing this? The servers online are starting to be a ghost town. I want to get the interceptor and race achievements, but can't find anyone online.
I would think it certainly can't help that one can't purchase this second hand and get online access unless they pay for it
Old 05-09-11, 03:07 PM

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by musick View Post
I would think it certainly can't help that one can't purchase this second hand and get online access unless they pay for it
Good point. If I bought a game six months after release, I'd be wary of paying $10.00 to access a (probable) dead or dying online community.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.