Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Originally Posted by murray731
No upgrading or tuning as far as performance goes, they say that specifically in the review. Seems like you do unlock upgrades to your "weapons" like the spike strip, helicopter, etc over time. I think you also just unlock cars as you go, there doesn't seem to be any buying of cars. Could be wrong on that.
I hear ya... but why the "500pts for EMP Evade" blurbs that pop up in the video? If you can only "buy" a few takedown upgrades, that kinda sucks. I loved the tuning of your cars in MW. It allowed me to find a car I really liked (Mustang GT 500) and make it the baddest it could be... and it prevented me from HAVING to get a Porsche or Lamborghini just because it was going to be the fastest regardless of upgrading.
Old 11-11-10, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I hear ya... but why the "500pts for EMP Evade" blurbs that pop up in the video? If you can only "buy" a few takedown upgrades, that kinda sucks. I loved the tuning of your cars in MW. It allowed me to find a car I really liked (Mustang GT 500) and make it the baddest it could be... and it prevented me from HAVING to get a Porsche or Lamborghini just because it was going to be the fastest regardless of upgrading.
Think those points are how you level up. I would imagine unlocking cars and weapon upgrades are mostly tied to leveling up with perhaps some held back for certain points in the career paths.
Old 11-18-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

No bumps since this game released?? I played for about 30 minutes last night and found the controls to be a bit tighter than the demo -- so I'm happy about that. I still struggle with taking corners and the "over correcting" but I'm liking this game a lot and the fact that you are constantly in competition with people from your Friends List is another added challenge.
Old 11-18-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a chance on it because of the BF price...but I ended up selling it. It just didn't have enough Burnout in it for me.
Old 11-18-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine arrived after my "lunch hour" yesterday so I didn't get a chance to try it out. But as I've said before NFS:HP on the PS2 was one of my favorite games on that system and I really liked the demo. I'll play for a few hours today since I'll bump this to the top of the unplayed pile. Can't wait.
Old 11-18-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I picked it up too. Played a bit of online and had fun with it. Add me to your friends list if you're on 360.
Old 11-18-10, 11:40 AM

I got mine the other night and have played a couple of times. So far I like the constant progression of unlocking cars and the preview events are pretty neat. The environment are gorgeous, handling is very good and the social integration is pretty interesting, I just need a few more people on my friends list that have it. Feel free to add me, I'm playing on PS3.
Old 11-18-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been trying to take down all your times. So far I've only beaten two. You freaking own those cop race to call maps.

...but I'm absolutely loving this game. Anyone that was on the fence better get off.
Old 11-18-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Feel free to add me (360 version) if you want to feel better about your times. I'm not great at the game but I've enjoyed my brief time with it so far.
Old 11-18-10, 03:20 PM

Played this some and I'm liking quite a bit. My only problem is its competing for time with Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Pac-Man CE DX, and Pinball FX2 right now.
Old 11-18-10, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I've been trying to take down all your times. So far I've only beaten two. You freaking own those cop race to call maps.

...but I'm absolutely loving this game. Anyone that was on the fence better get off.
Agreed, it's really a blast, to me it feels like the perfect combination of traditional NFS racing with a dab of Burnout thrown in. I'll try to login tonight and get some of my times back. One of the pursuit events should have been really easy because I totally picked the wrong car, the one where the guy goes off-road a bunch.
Old 11-18-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by murray731
Agreed, it's really a blast, to me it feels like the perfect combination of traditional NFS racing with a dab of Burnout thrown in. I'll try to login tonight and get some of my times back. One of the pursuit events should have been really easy because I totally picked the wrong car, the one where the guy goes off-road a bunch.
Yeah I knew that one wasn't legit. I figured you were just out for a Sunday drive with that time and eventually happened to bump the guy off the road. I didn't think I did terribly well and beat you by a minute or something.

On tight turns, the drift mechanic coupled with a nitrous boost on the exit works really well once you get the timing. I only get the timing 25% of the time but when it works, it's very rewarding.

I hope more people pick this up during the Thanksgiving sales.
Old 11-18-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone played with a G27 Racing wheel?
Old 11-20-10, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I hope more people pick this up during the Thanksgiving sales.
Yeah, it's surprisingly good. Great even. The social networking in the game is nothing short of brilliant (even if they kinda go overboard a little too much). I'm really happy several of my friends have the game and hope more get it.
Old 11-20-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

So to the people that bought this, is it much better than the demo? Because I just did not like the demo at all, which bummed me out, as I really wanted to like it.
Old 11-20-10, 11:08 AM

To me, the handling feels similar to the demo, which personally I liked. I'd say if you didn't like the demo, the full game probably isn't going to change your mind.
Old 11-20-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What did you not like about the demo slop?
Old 11-20-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Mostly the feel of it - didn't feel very responsive or particularly fun, also the look of it was rather bland. It wasn't necessarily bad, just sorta "meh". Almost the opposite of what I'd expect from a racing game by Criterion.
Old 11-21-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if the responsiveness changed, but it's not an issue in the gameplay. I mean you're driving Dodge Chargers at 170 MPH... I don't think responsiveness is expected. I think the game controls very well. Once you get the hang of the drifting and when to use the handbreak the results can be pretty awesome.

I love this game. (Even if I can't hang on to a leaderboard score longer than 12 hours. Damn you murr!)

I've already played it more than Burnout Paradise.
Old 11-21-10, 12:27 PM

Been playing this a bit as well - lots of fun! I still like the feel and responsiveness of Burnout better, but the online component of this one is much better. Add me as a friend if you are on PS3 and want to compete!

PSN: Kevad
Old 11-22-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Mostly the feel of it - didn't feel very responsive or particularly fun, also the look of it was rather bland. It wasn't necessarily bad, just sorta "meh". Almost the opposite of what I'd expect from a racing game by Criterion.
I've had a bunch of fun with it, but I think that Burnout:Paradise flat out looks better. And with that game being almost 3 years old, I can't think that's a good thing. Not saying NFS doesn't look good, but it just doesn't seem to be on the same level as their previous Burnout outing.

I also find it completely odd that the only stats offered for vehicles is top speed and 0-60 ratings.
Old 11-26-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

EA will offer a free 3-pack of DLC cars (Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, the Lamborghini Murcielago LP 650-4 Roadster, and the Dodge Viper SRT10 Convertible Final Edition) if this youtube trailer gets over 1 million views by Dec. 12th.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/82et_z_gTlg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/82et_z_gTlg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 11-27-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I took a chance on it because of the BF price...but I ended up selling it. It just didn't have enough Burnout in it for me.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't normally like racing games anyway. I just tossed it up in the VG Exchange forum if anyone is interested.
Old 11-30-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I now have this game. If you're on my 360 list, I'm sorry but your scores have been smashed.

I don't even know if I want to play on anything but Cop mode. Murdering punkass street racers is SO DAMN SATISFYING.
Old 11-30-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. I'm surprised at how many people don't like this game because its not Burnout. I love this game for everything about it that's not Burnout. I can just keep hopping from race to race without tooling about listlessly in between. I'm too easily distracted by shit I don't want to do. Oh well, since I'm here... I might as well... NO. I want to bust some punk ass racers. Take me there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.