Reload this Page >

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Old 10-25-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

I've been in for this one since it was first announced but these guys sure do know how to sell a racing game. Those trailers are slick.
Old 10-25-10, 10:09 AM

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chess View Post
In case you missed it at the end, demo on Oct 26th.
Luckily, there's nothing else happening on October 26 -- giving us all ample time to check out the demo.
Old 10-25-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not digging on how the environments all look the same - seems like you're just racing the the same deserted, backwoods environments over and over - where are the cities?
Old 10-25-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't remember cities in the PS2 Hot Pursuit. Didn't seem to hinder my enjoyment of that title.
Old 10-26-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 209 Likes on 155 Posts

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Demo | 1.4GB
Old 10-26-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down. As a huge Burnout fan, I was really looking forward to this but not feeling it. The controls are not as responsive as usual Burnout/Criterion games. And it doesn't seem like the handling is sim enough for the hardcore racing audience. Criterion straddled the middle so much that they may not please either side.
Old 10-26-10, 08:20 PM

Received 156 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by thelwig14 View Post
Thumbs down. As a huge Burnout fan, I was really looking forward to this but not feeling it. The controls are not as responsive as usual Burnout/Criterion games.
I noticed this too. And I'm hoping it's just the two cars you start with, and there's some looser cars later on. I didn't like many of the Burnout Paradise cars until I unlocked some good ones.

My favorite part of Burnout Paradise was just driving around town busting gates, smashing billboards and pulling off amazing jumps. I could screw around for hours without actually doing anything.

I don't see that in this game. It looks very structured. One mission after another. I want some "free play" time.

I think Burnout Paradise has ruined me for all future racing games.
Old 10-27-10, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like the structured aspect, but damn the two cop cars controlled like ass. I don't even think Burnout's worst are this bad. I've never played a NFS and this wasn't a great first introduction. Poor controls didn't help either. Navigating turns and traffic at 200 mph while trying to take your thumb off the analog to use the d-pad for items is a piss poor design decision.

To me it seems like Burnout's 'Marked Man' mode pulled out and turned into a $60 game. Meh.

I will hold onto it to try out the race whenever it unlocks.
Old 10-27-10, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

I was leaning towards getting GT5 instead of Hot Pursuit, but with GT5 moving out indefinitely, this may be the only decent racing game coming out this fall. I'll try out the demo.
Old 10-27-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Does anyone know how NFS: Hot Pursuit compares to NFS: Most Wanted in terms of gameplay? I loved Most Wanted and was hoping this was a 2011 version of it.
Old 10-27-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 805 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I like the structured aspect, but damn the two cop cars controlled like ass. I don't even think Burnout's worst are this bad. I've never played a NFS and this wasn't a great first introduction. Poor controls didn't help either. Navigating turns and traffic at 200 mph while trying to take your thumb off the analog to use the d-pad for items is a piss poor design decision.

To me it seems like Burnout's 'Marked Man' mode pulled out and turned into a $60 game. Meh.

I will hold onto it to try out the race whenever it unlocks.
Fair enough, but it's only fair to remind you of your impression of Burnout Paradise:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I hated the demo. Played around in it twice, once on each system. Hated it both times. It's not the franchise that I've been with since the beginning. I want to start a race, drive ultra fast and crash. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't want to drive around an open world looking for shit. There's enough of that in other games. I want a fast menu system and the ability to reboot races after I'm done. Oh well.

That being said, I will still give the full game the benefit of the doubt because Criterion hasn't let me down yet. I used GCs costing me nothing out of pocket. If it sucks I'll just sell it pretty quick.
Actually, there was a lot of complaining about the Burnout Paradise demo. Check it out.
Old 10-27-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Right... the NFS demo got right what the Burnout got wrong(structured game), but the driving sucks.

I just re-bought Paradise and played a bit the other night. The restart is nice, but all my other complaints still stand.
Old 10-27-10, 02:14 PM

I gave the demo a shot and just like everyone else so far, I think it controls like crap. No response to input what so ever. I'm out for now.
Old 10-27-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is disheartening. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try the demo tonight.... but I guess my question is how many of you played the original Hot Pursuit on the PS2? That game is still probably my favorite racing game. If a fan of the original pans this one, then I'll start to worry.
Old 10-27-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EA has to know this controls like crap right? How does a GIANT game company ship out a game that controls like garbage --- especially a racing game?

I'm getting this for $30 regardless -- EA screwed up my MoH order and 1/2 off my future order was their pennance. I'm sure I could sell it for $40+ if it truly sucks at launch.
Old 10-27-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I'll probably still keep my order on this from Amazon since it appears that I'll get Shift and a $20 future game credit.

I just hope that whatever control issues are present can be improved with some tuner adjustments or something.
Old 10-27-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 805 Likes on 497 Posts

Do we really think that a studio that has previously released five racing games, all excellent and with fantastic controls would suddenly in their highest-profile release ever completely forget how to make a racing game? I won't be preordering it (now with the upcoming Kmart promotion confirmed), but I'm waiting for some reviews before I write this one off.
Old 10-27-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh we ALL hated the Burnout demo. Hell, even a month after release we were all "This sucks!" but we sure came around.
Old 10-27-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Do we really think that a studio that has previously released five racing games, all excellent and with fantastic controls would suddenly in their highest-profile release ever completely forget how to make a racing game?
That's what's so baffling about it. You would think on a bad day their cars would still handle better than anything out there.
Old 10-27-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
Oh we ALL hated the Burnout demo. Hell, even a month after release we were all "This sucks!" but we sure came around.
Yup.

I had no interest in BP after playing the demo...just didn't get it and didn't see how it would work for "racing".

But I picked it up after they added restarts and realized that it wasn't even a "racing" game.

I Burnout Paradise....playing it tonight with the PS3 guys as a matter of fact.
Old 10-28-10, 01:49 AM

I just played the demo. Controls need a little work. I never saw the spike strip do anything. I hope in the final version you have to do more than simply hit other cars a few times to take down their HP enough to wreck them in a cut scene. That is not how Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (One of my favorite games!) was. Play pursuit mode on two players (On Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, duh.) and it's a real battle to arrest your buddy if he/she is any good at the game. But a few bumps with a power bar? I am not liking that. On the demo I found myself looking at those power bars so much to see how many hits they had left that I wasn't even noticing the surrounding area ... nor many short cuts.

I still have my hopes up that this will finally be a successor to NFS:HP2 or I'll just keep playing it. I like Burnout Paradise but only got to play it like twice. Only played the demo of Test Drive Unlimited and I was really excited about it's release then never got it. (or should I say ... my brother never got it and is stingy with Burnout Paradise. I asked to play it the other day and he said no to me. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic but I talked him into buying Soul Calibur IV on launch day ... he still hasn't opened it. He tells me to forget about it whenever I asked to play it. I'll get a PS3 of my own someday to play Blu-ray's and a few games. Just not in the cards right now.)

I hope this game will rock because the hype had me until I played that demo. I wasn't blown away by it. But I won't lose hope just yet.
Old 10-28-10, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I played the demo last night directly after playing a couple of hours of Burnout Paradise with Cruz.

No comparison. Burnout Paradise controls better and feels faster.
Old 10-28-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For some reason I can't get the demo to d/l. I keep getting a "content is currently unavailable" message. Anyone else getting that?
Old 10-28-10, 01:49 PM

Tried the demo last night. Overall, I like it a lot, but agreed on the spike strips, they didn't seem to do anything. The roadblocks sure worked though. I liked the racing too, it felt "right" to me.

The cars definitely feel different than Burnout, but I can't say they feel bad. To me, cars in the NFS series have always had more weight to them and the control is therefore more, for lack of a better word, sluggish. I don't think the game should feel and control like Burnout just because it's from the same developer, because well, it's not Burnout.

Going to try the other cars I didn't and if I still like it, preorder from Amazon.
Old 10-28-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ I have a feeling I'm going to agree with your sentiment. I thought the cars in Burnout were too loose and I like the "heavier" feel with these types of games. Nothing turns me off quicker than losing control of my car during turns where it's imperative you maintain top speed all the time or else you lose.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.