Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone Playing 3D Games on PS3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Anyone Playing 3D Games on PS3?

Which 3D games are you playing? Are there many available right now? What kind of TV do you have? Are you using glasses that came with the TV or did you buy them separately? Is the 3D effect worth the cost of the equipment needed?

I have a PS3 and 73" Mitsubishi DLP that's 3D ready, but it would require buying an adapter to make it work with today's 3D specs. Throw in glasses and it adds up really quickly. I recently downloaded Super Stardust HD from the PSN. It says it's 3D compatible, so I'm curious just how good the 3D effect would be and if there are many other 3D games available yet. Thanks.
Old 09-14-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Anyone Playing 3D Games on PS3?

I just got a Samsung 3D TV about two weeks ago... quite honestly, I have no desire to game in 3D. The unit I have translates a native 2D image to 3D so I fired up Bioshock and while it has some added depth, it just didn't do anything for me.
Old 09-14-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

I'm getting two new sets in my new house. I plan on getting a 3D LED TV in the "man-cave". I'm curious how those games play in 3D. I know I'll be picking up the Sly Cooper collection mostly for the 3D gamng.
Old 09-15-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm getting two new sets in my new house. I plan on getting a 3D LED TV in the "man-cave". I'm curious how those games play in 3D. I know I'll be picking up the Sly Cooper collection mostly for the 3D gamng.
In my case I ended up getting a free 3D player with the purchase of my set. So I moved my PS3 from the new set location to another TV in the house that didn't have BD... now I'm kinda pissed I missed out on at least trying some 3D gaming.

But that said, the bitching that is done in most 3D TV threads about wearing the glasses is pretty accurate. They are annoying but not enough to regret my purchase by any means. The TV is fantastic and my kids love the 3D movies.
Old 09-15-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my co-workers owns the 65" Mitsubishi and purchased a pair of glasses and the adapter piece. He's played most everything that's available so far on PSN, and said that the Motorstorm(s) and Super Stardust were amazing. He's a little peeved that Sony hasn't released the 3D movie update for the PS3 yet.
Old 09-15-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Samsung LED C7000 and I have tried a few 3D games/demos. I'll agree that Motorstorm "demo" was pretty cool...did not try the full $10 3D game. Super Stardust HD was also pretty cool.

The MLB 10 demo was ok at best though. The pitcher/batter interface had nice depth, but the rest of the game was not that great. I believe I got annoyed with it as the score or something was popping out too much.

I plan on trying some more, I just haven't done it yet. I'm just waiting for the PS3 3D movie update in October. I'm still waiting to watch my Monsters V Aliens 3D movie.
Old 09-15-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Super Stardust is the best utilization of 3D in the games so far, I think. I also have Wipeout and played the Motorstorm demo. Wipeout has a bit more ghosting than the others, but is still lots of fun in 3D. I'm one of the few (it seems) on this board that actually wants more 3D BD's and games .
Old 09-15-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't own a 3D TV, I don't know anyone who owns a 3D TV, and I have no plans to buy a 3D TV in the foreseeable future.
Old 09-15-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Edison
He's a little peeved that Sony hasn't released the 3D movie update for the PS3 yet.
Are there really that many 3D blu-ray discs out yet?
Old 09-15-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I don't own a 3D TV, I don't know anyone who owns a 3D TV, and I have no plans to buy a 3D TV in the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the input
Old 09-15-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just answering the question posed in the thread title.
Old 09-15-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
Super Stardust is the best utilization of 3D in the games so far, I think. I also have Wipeout and played the Motorstorm demo. Wipeout has a bit more ghosting than the others, but is still lots of fun in 3D. I'm one of the few (it seems) on this board that actually wants more 3D BD's and games .
If more games were offered in 3D, I'd be more inclined to shell out the $ for the glasses and adapter. But there are so few games (and movies) available right now that I'm holding off.

If the 3D effect is at least as good as the 3D effect the Sega Master System created with its LCD shutter glasses back in the day, I'll be happy.
Old 09-16-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
I just got a Samsung 3D TV about two weeks ago... quite honestly, I have no desire to game in 3D. The unit I have translates a native 2D image to 3D so I fired up Bioshock and while it has some added depth, it just didn't do anything for me.
Maybe games designed for 3D would look better than 2D games converted to 3D by your TV? Just a guess. If 2D games converted to 3D look anything like 2D movies converted to 3D, then it's not surprising to hear the results aren't very impressive. (From everything I've read about 2D movies converted to 3D, they're not worth the extra $ theaters charge to see them in 3D.)
Old 09-16-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Maybe games designed for 3D would look better than 2D games converted to 3D by your TV? Just a guess. If 2D games converted to 3D look anything like 2D movies converted to 3D, then it's not surprising to hear the results aren't very impressive. (From everything I've read about 2D movies converted to 3D, they're not worth the extra $ theaters charge to see them in 3D.)
It's a very different animal though. With a 2D movie, the whole thing is stored as 2D images. A conversion has to guess where the objects are in 3D space and process the image accordingly, and as you can imagine, it's far from perfect.

A game, on the other hand, already has the information about where objects are in space and renders it in real time. It can be converted to 3D effectively by rendering it from two different angles instead of one. This is also why cg-animated movies like Toy Story can be converted to 3D just as if they were designed for 3D from the beginning. They go back and re-render it.

The only real downside is that it might be more apparent when they cut corners to save on processing. For instance, background elements in games such as the sky are often flat 2D images. These things might stick out when viewed in true 3D.
Old 06-02-11, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just picked up the Samsung UN55D8000 LED 3D. Have you been gaming in 3D? If so, any recommendations? I've tried Wipeout HD and a couple of demos but nothing significant. I'm more interested in the 3D gaming possibilities for this TV rather than the 3D movie playback.
Old 06-02-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V

Well thats because Bioshock wasnt made for 3D. What your seeing is a lousy representation of 3D as its basically faking it or "guessing" the 3d Depth.

Thats like saying watching a tv show and just pressing the 2D-3D button and then trying to say the 3d quality is the same as Avatar on 3D Bluray.
Old 06-03-11, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon
Well thats because Bioshock wasnt made for 3D. What your seeing is a lousy representation of 3D as its basically faking it or "guessing" the 3d Depth.

Thats like saying watching a tv show and just pressing the 2D-3D button and then trying to say the 3d quality is the same as Avatar on 3D Bluray.
There weren't many games to choose from back in October of 2010 and I never claimed the 2D to 3D was supposed to be "Avatar-like".

Having the set for 6 months now, I've played my share of 3D games and I prefer to play them in 2D.
Old 06-03-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
Just picked up the Samsung UN55D8000 LED 3D. Have you been gaming in 3D? If so, any recommendations? I've tried Wipeout HD and a couple of demos but nothing significant. I'm more interested in the 3D gaming possibilities for this TV rather than the 3D movie playback.
Both Crysis 2 and Black Ops do a GREAT job of showing off 3D.
Old 06-03-11, 08:19 AM

Killzone 3 looks amazing in 3D as well.
Old 06-03-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Did it with Crysis 2. I thought it was amazing.
Old 06-03-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As I posted in a thread in another folder, I am getting married in October, and my cousin gave me and my fiance a 50'' Panasonic P50ST30 3D HDTV as our wedding gift. I have yet to try out any 3D games though. What are some demos to check out for free so I don't have to buy a game just to check it out?
Old 06-03-11, 03:40 PM

Check the PSN store New Release section. There's a sub-section called 3D and it has a bunch of 3D demos there.
Old 06-03-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't even realize that, I've never really had a reason to keep my eye out for it before now. Thanks Decker.
Old 07-09-11, 10:47 AM

So has anyone else checked out Motorstorm Apocalypse yet? It's far from the greatest racer out there and the vehicles are of noticeably lower texture than previous versions of the game. But OMG, is it great as a 3D showcase. I'd imagine the game is only average in 2D, but it's eye-popping in 3D with huge explosions and things crumbling down in your face and pedestrians bouncing off your hood. There's a reason that this is the game featured all over the Sony Style store. If you want a demo-worthy game to show off your 3D HDTV, this one is it.
Old 07-09-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the most part, I'm disappointed with 3D games because the only thing they seem to do is separate the background elements from the foreground elements: specifically, the score, health meter, etc., look much closer to the viewer than all of the action taking place in the background. Whoopee do. I rarely see anything coming directly at me or out of the screen.

Granted I haven't tried every 3D game out there for the PS3. I'm just commenting on the games/demos I've tried: High Velocity Bowling, Sly Cooper, Sonic Generations Demo, Uncharted 3 Demo, Wipeout, Mortal Kombat. I think there's a few more but that's all I can think of right now. So far the only game whose 3D effects have impresed me is Super Stardust (especially when my ship explodes).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.