Reload this Page >

Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Old 10-04-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Well, at least on PC you should be able to create some macros to handle all the brain-numbing traveling this game requires you to do.
Old 10-07-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

So there is a defensive mode in this game - tap left on the d-pad for the xbox one and find it under online settings. You won't be ghosted like your are in GTA online and you can still be taken down but it's much harder for other players to do so. I haven't had any problems at all with griefing since they put in the new law update that goes after the player who is being a pain.

the new frontier pursuits update is pretty decent as well. Keep in mind, it's a micro-transaction DLC. Seems like they're building things up nice.

Also, a ton of people are finding passive zombies all over the place - hinting at another undead nightmare.
Old 11-28-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm considering this game for Black Friday...the normal edition is down to $30 while the Ultimate Edition is 60% off down to $40 in the PS Store...but I am also looking at The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition at $15....both games have got solid reviews from both critics and players. Has anyone played both and have an opinion....I like the Elder Scrolls and Skyrim theme style games but I haven't played a good Western type since Red Dead 1 on the 360. And if I do go RDDII, is the Ultimate worth it being now just $10 more?
Old 11-28-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I'm considering this game for Black Friday...the normal edition is down to $30 while the Ultimate Edition is 60% off down to $40 in the PS Store...but I am also looking at The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition at $15....both games have got solid reviews from both critics and players. Has anyone played both and have an opinion....I like the Elder Scrolls and Skyrim theme style games but I haven't played a good Western type since Red Dead 1 on the 360. And if I do go RDDII, is the Ultimate worth it being now just $10 more?
I replied in the Black Friday thread. If you're ok with a physical copy, you can get Red Dead for $24.99 at Best Buy. Both games are really good and really long. You'll spend close to 100 hours on each. I think you'll be fine with the regular edition.
Old 12-03-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Picked this up on PC. I never played part 1. So far I've spent most of my time ride a horse through snow and forgetting all the keys that do special stuff.
Some dude wanted me to track deer and kill them with a bow and arrow but i forgot what key did the tracking thing so i just shoot a couple deer with my revolver.
Old 12-03-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Picked this up on PC. I never played part 1. So far I've spent most of my time ride a horse through snow and forgetting all the keys that do special stuff.
Some dude wanted me to track deer and kill them with a bow and arrow but i forgot what key did the tracking thing so i just shoot a couple deer with my revolver.
If you're already sick of the horseback riding and you're still in the prologue (snow area), oh boy do I have news for you....
Old 12-05-19, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a blog where I review D&D adventures, and did a one shot where I reviewed rdr2, something I had been looking forward to for a long time. I was very disappointed with the game, to the point of thinking it was a bad game. When a game makes me think "Jesus, I am wasting my life. I could be doing all of these other things and instead I'm doing this", then it's a bad game.

Review: Red Dead Redemption 2 is a bad game

Heresy!

I know, hang in there and keep an open mind. It’s not a good game and is, in many ways, a bad game. And I promise I’m not branching out to other game genres. I just had to get this off of my chest.

I’ve bought a PS4 twice now with the explicit purpose of playing RDR2 and have been unsatisfied with the controller in what is, essentially, a shooter, and have sold it. I’m a PC gamer and thus when that version came out I bought it and have been playing it for several weeks now.

RDR2 has an excellent open world, full of people and an environment and subsystems that can really bring the world alive, from hunting, to cleaning your guns, to brushing your horse, just to name a couple. The sheer number of different activities you can engage in is mind-boggling.

The voice acting for the main character is excellent, as is much of the voice work, character animations, the script, and for the most part the story. The camp you are a part of, the people and how they interact and what they do, is top notch. Really some of the best I’ve ever seen.

And yet I think it’s a bad game. This comes from two core components: the gameplay and the mechanics. Mechanics first.

The game is slow and tedious. Doing anything seems to require substantial travel time between areas. Even after unlocking fast travel it’s slow to return to your fast travel base, because of choices made. Travel by stage and train requires long load times with useless animations. Further, your character and horse feel sluggish. “Real world physics!”, I can hear the shouts ever from here deep inside the volcano lair. Maybe, but tedium in sacrifice of fun is not a good choice on the designers part. It’s their job to solve those problems. Looting bodies takes forever as you watch a slow animation scene. There are parts of the map where you can’t run forcing you to suffer through long slow tedious walks and mini-animation scenes.

Even a month on the game crashes at least twice a day for me, and I don’t play a substantial amount. I’ve got a decent rig, why do I suffer with slowdows, crashes and stutters? I bought the game through Epic and couldn’t get it to work, requiring me to return it and repurchase through Rockstar proper. Even then I need to run a third party CPU app to keep it from pausing because it can’t manage its CPU itself. And I STILL suffer from pauses and stutters, but at least its playable now.

Moving on, all of those mini-games? Pointless. Hunting is tedious and the upgrades it provides are unneeded. Poker, dominoes, mumblepeg, photography, and a seemingly nonstop amount of other activities from collecting flowers to collecting dinosaur bones … all of that is useless. It doesn’t actually get you anything meaningful in the game. They are just tacked on little items, useless.

The core story missions and the side missions suffer from a lack of depth. The side missions, popping up from time to time in the world, are some of the more interesting parts of the game, from a variety standpoint. Dozens of interesting little vignettes. That generally are just “go collect X things” or “give me something” or “go talk to someone.” They feel formulaic and shallow in the extreme. Interest setups that have no depth and whose formulaic approach to them shine though almost immediately, taking the luster off of them. Go watch a youtube video of all of the setups/intros for them and you’ll have a better experience … without the tedious travel they require.

The core story missions, while having some interesting depth behind them, if the pointlessness of mans existence (Dutch) is depth (and I think it is, from an existential standpoint) are problematic. They are rail shooters. Watch a slow cutscene. Engage in slow travel. Engage in slow button-press activities. Then engage in what is a rail shooter. And, in many cases, have your weapons taken away, or be forced to use only your handguns.

For you see you no choice. You WILL engage with just your handgun, in spite of having a shotgun on your horse. Weapons WILL be locked in the stores until you get further along in the story. And, if you dare engage with the mission in any way other than the railroad your forced on to, well, the game will fail you. The best example is when the house you are hold up in is attacked by a rival gang. You are outside shooting the other gang. The game tells you to return to the house. If you stay outside to shoot some more the game fails you, telling you that you didn’t return to the house.

All of that choice, that big open world, everything in it .. .it’s just an illusion. This is a rail shooter. A sluggish rail shooter.

I’m reminded of a Deus Ex game. The big selling point was you could go through the game without killing people. Well, except for one boss. You see, that boss fight was farmed out to a sub in development. It was the typical boss fight stuff, figuring out how to kill them, etc. And that’s what this game feels like. It feels like the big open world was developed and then mini-games were farmed out. And the story action scenes were farmed out. And because of this none of it is integrated well.

The game is not satisfying. It is frustrating for what it COULD have been. Yet another example of a railroad story told by a DM. The emergent story is always better.
Old 12-06-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the most boring game I've ever played - easily. A lot of the control mechanics suck as well - same old outdated Rockstar controls.

Beautiful game though - they always get that right but that's about it.
Old 12-06-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Not heresy. Just not acknowledging your gaming preferences are clearly different than others. That does not make it a bad game.
Old 12-12-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course it's all about gaming preferences and sadly, A LOT of people agree with me.There are even many videos out there that talk about how Rockstar's style is outdated.

I'm not bashing it though, I'll always buy their games because of the level of TLC they put in but their games are just a sloth to get through and the online portions are always a mess as well (although RDR 2 is definitely the most stable of them all but even still, they took way, way, too long with updating it).
Old 12-12-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

As boring as the activities may be, wanting to "live" in the meticulous world they created goes a long ways (if you're into that sort of thing).
If "living" in that world isn't a big draw for you, then this game isn't for you, as there's little to no satisfying "gameplay" to be had.
Old 12-12-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seeing this reminded me: I never finished the epilogue, because it bored me out of my mind, 1000x worse than the actual game itself. I doubt I'll ever go back, as I've had my fill of putting up fence posts.
Old 12-12-19, 04:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts

Has any dlc been released or announced yet?
Old 12-12-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Has any dlc been released or announced yet?
Just online stuff. Similar to the last GTA, they're just gonna focus on milking online, and ignore single-player DLC.
Old 12-13-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with having to be on board with living in the world to get enjoyment out of it and yes, I AM - that's the thing, there just isn't enough under the hood. This games changes my gaming mood, I like spending time adjusting things and figuring things out but it makes me not want to jump into a deathmatch or any other battle scenario - it's just becomes a different style game to me and Rockstar just doesn't know what to do with that side yet. They're definitely trying but there still off a bit.

Also, there DLC is always terrible - they are the worst - even worse than EA, there is no return at all on what you pay for unless you keep paying even more - it's ridiculous.

There on the right path with the role playing elements.
Old 12-13-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd imagine this game has a similar love/hate scenario as Death Stranding. Some see it as open world fun, others see it as nothing more than a chore simulator. Unfortunately for me (because I know the world is gorgeous), I'm in the latter camp.
Old 10-07-20, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I finally got around to actually picking this up after choosing other games....last two were Odyssey (origins prior to that) and recently Ghost of Tsushima. I had AC Valhalla and Outriders on my radar for November but Outriders seems to be delayed till February.

I'm at the early start of Act II in Story and last night finally got to the coop part with my friend who has egged me on for a year to get the game.....I guess just some general tips because there is a lot to do and while she is doing all this stuff I can't do, my Horse, guns, even clothes are what I call...entry level. I did make it to Level 6 but seems like I have a ways to go to start getting better gear and upgrading. Game looks great, wide open and still trying to get a hold of all the commands since there is a lot.