Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Old 11-01-18, 09:54 AM
  #576  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,318
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Lol what? Trust me, I'm the last person to defend Rockstar Games as they've become the biggest money grubbers in the business but I think you're nitpicking a little.

You back up horse carriages by holding down RB and back on the control stick.

Yes there are a few blips here an there but overall this game EASILY a 10.
I couldn't give this a 10, but it's really great.

And not to be a shit, bit look at the reasons he failed missions: HE wasn't looking when driving the carriage. HE jumped off a roof. And I've seen the hat/horse tip pop up in the game more than once.
lopper is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 09:55 AM
  #577  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,746
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

I get called out sometimes for wearing my bear hat. One guy even said something about fashion becoming strange these days.
dsa_shea is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 09:57 AM
  #578  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 5,837
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Fair enough - Guess I'm a little forgiving seeing as RS started letting things slide when GTA V was released - the single player in the game is STILL broken.

GTA IV, aside from some draw distance issues - never crashed or got buggy once and I'm sure I've played that game more than anyone here.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 09:59 AM
  #579  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,416
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Yes there are a few blips here an there but overall this game EASILY a 10.
How can any game with "a few blips here and there" easily get a perfect score? 10/10 means there's nothing to approve upon. This game has MANY things that could be improved. IMO, that makes it much less than a 10, regardless of how good the other parts are. Saying this game is as polished as GoW or DQ11 is not just silly, it's completely inaccurate.
Noonan is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 10:17 AM
  #580  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,113
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How can any game with "a few blips here and there" easily get a perfect score? 10/10 means there's nothing to approve upon. This game has MANY things that could be improved. IMO, that makes it much less than a 10, regardless of how good the other parts are. Saying this game is as polished as GoW or DQ11 is not just silly, it's completely inaccurate.
It has been long discussed that no game is really a 10/10 and the scores these days generally cover how much the critic enjoyed the title.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 10:23 AM
  #581  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,155
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Even 10/10 can be improved upon. That's a silly argument.

Spoiler:
pinata242 is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 10:28 AM
  #582  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 5,837
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How can any game with "a few blips here and there" easily get a perfect score? 10/10 means there's nothing to approve upon. This game has MANY things that could be improved. IMO, that makes it much less than a 10, regardless of how good the other parts are. Saying this game is as polished as GoW or DQ11 is not just silly, it's completely inaccurate.
Because overall what this game offers as a whole easily merits a 10 score - it's not like the game is leaving you unable to play - the stuff you're complaining about, yeah it sucks but for now they're minor problems and for me anyway, it doesn't result in enough to drop the score at all.

Is GOW as large as Red Dead? Never played a GOW game.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 10:37 AM
  #583  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,935
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I'd like to play this game, since I pre-ordered it in June 2017 from Amazon.ca, but they apparently fucked up and everyone with a pre-order got the same e-mail that they are waiting for stock and they don't know when they will get it, so how about a $5 gift card for your troubles...
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I didn't call but $5 is what those who called were offered. Someone who called said that they will give this $5 to everyone who pre-ordered. I can't confirm if this is true or not.
eXcentris
I finally got my shipping notice yesterday for delivery for today. Hopefully you got it too.

I'm going to be calling them later today and seeing how they respond to a week delay as a Prime member. I'll let you know.
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 10:39 AM
  #584  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,416
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Well I guess I look at scores differently than others. For me a 10 means the devs succeeded at what they tried to accomplish and the finished product is a memorable game, on top of the quality work by the devs. Using my two examples; both GoW and DQ11 delivered perfectly on what the devs wanted.

In my book, any game launched with bugs or super clunky controls is not a 10, regardless of how good the rest may be.
Noonan is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 11:21 AM
  #585  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: WI
Posts: 4,437
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

I gotta agree a little bit that the breathtaking beauty of the game seems to have a taken some precedence over the actual gameplay. "Clunky" is the right word. (Or maybe "lumbering.") Also, people in streets seem like they don't even try to stop moving towards you while you're on a horse, and I'm already tired of getting bounties and shot at for accidentally bumping someone who walked right into me. I did unlock the "fast travel," but seriously--you can travel far, far away for no $$ (which is great), but you can't travel back to your camp??? Come on. I literally set the course, enter "cinematic mode," put down my controller and check my phone while I wait, and wait.

That said, the missions are creative, sometimes hilarious, and great fun, and I still like the random things that happen.
uteotw is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 11:46 AM
  #586  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,220
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

The Fake HDR brings them down from a 10.
Music is online now  
Old 11-01-18, 06:30 PM
  #587  
gamer for life
 
foxdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 7,859
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Nothing is really a 10 ever. If I am going to rate something and say "It has to be a perfect thing to get a 10" then I would have never given a 10 to anything in the 5 decades I have been on this earth.

But taken as a whole, and comparing an experience to others, I have given many 10's to entertainment over the years. I think every "10" game I have ever played has problems, or moments that frustrated me. Still, the overall experience and joy they brought me is a 10 for me.

That being said, as amazing as Red Dead 2 is, it is no 10. A solid 9 for sure, but even though it is amazing at times, its flaws are WAY to many to overlook completely.

And yes, the HDR problem is frustrating. From day one I was bitching to my friends, and when I went online every thread about it there was always the "Looks great to me, maybe you are not calibrated right or maybe your tv is low quality" Nothing more frustrating then having a $3000 oled, that was professionally calibrated, and seeing a shit HDR image.... and then having some asshole online say "Must be your poor calibration"
foxdvd is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 08:03 PM
  #588  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,180
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Yeah, if I'm giving Horizon a 10, RDR2 gets a 9 (if I'm being generous).
slop101 is offline  
Old 11-01-18, 09:31 PM
  #589  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,808
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Didn’t see the leak from Feb that said online will include a Battle Royale mode, that could be good
redrum is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 02:22 PM
  #590  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,087
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

I have not had much of a chance to play the game since release (about 8 hours), but i have generally enjoyed it so far. I wasn't anticipating this game as much as many, but after playing the first i knew it would be good. I do agree with the argument that trying too hard to be realistic can take away from the game somewhat. Options should be available to turn certain things off in games like this as whereas the first few times its cool, some things can become tiresome after a while.
james2025a is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 02:52 PM
  #591  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,475
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

If I just wanted something for my son to trot his horse around, without getting attacked or a billion things popping up on the screen, will this game provide?

I've got more games than I can count lined up to play before this one. However, my young son loves horses. Being in a city, we don't get many options to get him on one. He enjoyed walking Roach around in Witcher 3, but it's not particularly wide open and he was getting attacked frequently.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 02:53 PM
  #592  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,416
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

It will take a couple/few hours to get to the point where you can do that but yeah. Once the world opens to you, you can just ride around without any consequence I've seen. I'm sure there is some wilderness that will attack you but it's not like Witcher where there are actual enemies to look out for.
Noonan is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 02:58 PM
  #593  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: rent-free, apparently.
Posts: 20,479
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
And yes, the HDR problem is frustrating. From day one I was bitching to my friends, and when I went online every thread about it there was always the "Looks great to me, maybe you are not calibrated right or maybe your tv is low quality"
Nothing more frustrating then having a $3000 oled, that was professionally calibrated, and seeing a shit HDR image.... and then having some asshole online say "Must be your poor calibration"
"Doesn't bother ME!"
Dan is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 03:19 PM
  #594  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,180
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
If I just wanted something for my son to trot his horse around, without getting attacked or a billion things popping up on the screen, will this game provide?

I've got more games than I can count lined up to play before this one. However, my young son loves horses. Being in a city, we don't get many options to get him on one. He enjoyed walking Roach around in Witcher 3, but it's not particularly wide open and he was getting attacked frequently.
The new Assassins Creed Odyssey would be a far better opportunity for that sort of thing than RDR.
slop101 is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 03:35 PM
  #595  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,475
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
It will take a couple/few hours to get to the point where you can do that but yeah. Once the world opens to you, you can just ride around without any consequence I've seen. I'm sure there is some wilderness that will attack you but it's not like Witcher where there are actual enemies to look out for.
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
The new Assassins Creed Odyssey would be a far better opportunity for that sort of thing than RDR.
Thank you both for your input. AC:O was also in a long list of games I wanted to play, so I may pick that one up for the horse riding sim in the meantime.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 03:56 PM
  #596  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 30,010
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
eXcentris
I finally got my shipping notice yesterday for delivery for today. Hopefully you got it too.

I'm going to be calling them later today and seeing how they respond to a week delay as a Prime member. I'll let you know.
Same here, I received my copy yesterday. Didn't bother calling them though.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 04:27 PM
  #597  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 86
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Ok got through the 1st chapter but managed to get a 95.73 bounty. How can I sell the rings, jewelry etc that I loot?
Redeyejoker is offline  
Old 11-02-18, 04:49 PM
  #598  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,759
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Redeyejoker View Post
Ok got through the 1st chapter but managed to get a 95.73 bounty. How can I sell the rings, jewelry etc that I loot?
You unlock a fence in chapter 2.

I haven't done this yet, but apparently you can also turn yourself in, do jail time, and only pay 20% of your bounty.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 11-02-18, 04:55 PM
  #599  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 86
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
You unlock a fence in chapter 2.

I haven't done this yet, but apparently you can also turn yourself in, do jail time, and only pay 20% of your bounty.
Ha that might be cheaper. I’ll try that later.

****im good now. Lol***

Last edited by Redeyejoker; 11-02-18 at 06:19 PM.
Redeyejoker is offline  
Old 11-04-18, 10:00 PM
  #600  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,513
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Liking it so far. But it was a little fucking annoying when I was chasing a dude, then was prompted to interact with him, in what I assume was an encounter where I could make a choice. I could hear, but not see him. As I tried to approach, all of a sudden, I hear him die and I lose honor, as if I’d killed him.
bluetoast is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.