DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/578467-red-dead-redemption-2-%97-10-26-18-a.html)

lopper 11-01-18 08:54 AM

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 13436147)
Lol what? Trust me, I'm the last person to defend Rockstar Games as they've become the biggest money grubbers in the business but I think you're nitpicking a little.

You back up horse carriages by holding down RB and back on the control stick.

Yes there are a few blips here an there but overall this game EASILY a 10.

I couldn't give this a 10, but it's really great.

And not to be a shit, bit look at the reasons he failed missions: HE wasn't looking when driving the carriage. HE jumped off a roof. And I've seen the hat/horse tip pop up in the game more than once.

dsa_shea 11-01-18 08:55 AM

I get called out sometimes for wearing my bear hat. One guy even said something about fashion becoming strange these days.

Rival11 11-01-18 08:57 AM

Fair enough - Guess I'm a little forgiving seeing as RS started letting things slide when GTA V was released - the single player in the game is STILL broken.

GTA IV, aside from some draw distance issues - never crashed or got buggy once and I'm sure I've played that game more than anyone here.

Noonan 11-01-18 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 13436147)
Yes there are a few blips here an there but overall this game EASILY a 10.

How can any game with "a few blips here and there" easily get a perfect score? 10/10 means there's nothing to approve upon. This game has MANY things that could be improved. IMO, that makes it much less than a 10, regardless of how good the other parts are. Saying this game is as polished as GoW or DQ11 is not just silly, it's completely inaccurate.

RichC2 11-01-18 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13436154)
How can any game with "a few blips here and there" easily get a perfect score? 10/10 means there's nothing to approve upon. This game has MANY things that could be improved. IMO, that makes it much less than a 10, regardless of how good the other parts are. Saying this game is as polished as GoW or DQ11 is not just silly, it's completely inaccurate.

It has been long discussed that no game is really a 10/10 and the scores these days generally cover how much the critic enjoyed the title.

pinata242 11-01-18 09:23 AM

Even 10/10 can be improved upon. That's a silly argument.

Rival11 11-01-18 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13436154)

Because overall what this game offers as a whole easily merits a 10 score - it's not like the game is leaving you unable to play - the stuff you're complaining about, yeah it sucks but for now they're minor problems and for me anyway, it doesn't result in enough to drop the score at all.

Is GOW as large as Red Dead? Never played a GOW game.

LorenzoL 11-01-18 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by eXcentris (Post 13433049)
I'd like to play this game, since I pre-ordered it in June 2017 from Amazon.ca, but they apparently fucked up and everyone with a pre-order got the same e-mail that they are waiting for stock and they don't know when they will get it, so how about a $5 gift card for your troubles... :sad:

Originally Posted by eXcentris (Post 13433378)
I didn't call but $5 is what those who called were offered. Someone who called said that they will give this $5 to everyone who pre-ordered. I can't confirm if this is true or not.

eXcentris
I finally got my shipping notice yesterday for delivery for today. Hopefully you got it too.

I'm going to be calling them later today and seeing how they respond to a week delay as a Prime member. I'll let you know.

Noonan 11-01-18 09:39 AM

Well I guess I look at scores differently than others. For me a 10 means the devs succeeded at what they tried to accomplish and the finished product is a memorable game, on top of the quality work by the devs. Using my two examples; both GoW and DQ11 delivered perfectly on what the devs wanted.

In my book, any game launched with bugs or super clunky controls is not a 10, regardless of how good the rest may be.

uteotw 11-01-18 10:21 AM

I gotta agree a little bit that the breathtaking beauty of the game seems to have a taken some precedence over the actual gameplay. "Clunky" is the right word. (Or maybe "lumbering.") Also, people in streets seem like they don't even try to stop moving towards you while you're on a horse, and I'm already tired of getting bounties and shot at for accidentally bumping someone who walked right into me. I did unlock the "fast travel," but seriously--you can travel far, far away for no $$ (which is great), but you can't travel back to your camp??? Come on. I literally set the course, enter "cinematic mode," put down my controller and check my phone while I wait, and wait.

That said, the missions are creative, sometimes hilarious, and great fun, and I still like the random things that happen.

Music 11-01-18 10:46 AM

The Fake HDR brings them down from a 10.

foxdvd 11-01-18 05:30 PM

Nothing is really a 10 ever. If I am going to rate something and say "It has to be a perfect thing to get a 10" then I would have never given a 10 to anything in the 5 decades I have been on this earth.

But taken as a whole, and comparing an experience to others, I have given many 10's to entertainment over the years. I think every "10" game I have ever played has problems, or moments that frustrated me. Still, the overall experience and joy they brought me is a 10 for me.

That being said, as amazing as Red Dead 2 is, it is no 10. A solid 9 for sure, but even though it is amazing at times, its flaws are WAY to many to overlook completely.

And yes, the HDR problem is frustrating. From day one I was bitching to my friends, and when I went online every thread about it there was always the "Looks great to me, maybe you are not calibrated right or maybe your tv is low quality" Nothing more frustrating then having a $3000 oled, that was professionally calibrated, and seeing a shit HDR image.... and then having some asshole online say "Must be your poor calibration"

slop101 11-01-18 07:03 PM

Yeah, if I'm giving Horizon a 10, RDR2 gets a 9 (if I'm being generous).

redrum 11-01-18 08:31 PM

Didn’t see the leak from Feb that said online will include a Battle Royale mode, that could be good

james2025a 11-02-18 01:22 PM

I have not had much of a chance to play the game since release (about 8 hours), but i have generally enjoyed it so far. I wasn't anticipating this game as much as many, but after playing the first i knew it would be good. I do agree with the argument that trying too hard to be realistic can take away from the game somewhat. Options should be available to turn certain things off in games like this as whereas the first few times its cool, some things can become tiresome after a while.

mndtrp 11-02-18 01:52 PM

If I just wanted something for my son to trot his horse around, without getting attacked or a billion things popping up on the screen, will this game provide?

I've got more games than I can count lined up to play before this one. However, my young son loves horses. Being in a city, we don't get many options to get him on one. He enjoyed walking Roach around in Witcher 3, but it's not particularly wide open and he was getting attacked frequently.

Noonan 11-02-18 01:53 PM

It will take a couple/few hours to get to the point where you can do that but yeah. Once the world opens to you, you can just ride around without any consequence I've seen. I'm sure there is some wilderness that will attack you but it's not like Witcher where there are actual enemies to look out for.

Dan 11-02-18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 13436555)
And yes, the HDR problem is frustrating. From day one I was bitching to my friends, and when I went online every thread about it there was always the "Looks great to me, maybe you are not calibrated right or maybe your tv is low quality"
Nothing more frustrating then having a $3000 oled, that was professionally calibrated, and seeing a shit HDR image.... and then having some asshole online say "Must be your poor calibration"

"Doesn't bother ME!"

slop101 11-02-18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 13437031)
If I just wanted something for my son to trot his horse around, without getting attacked or a billion things popping up on the screen, will this game provide?

I've got more games than I can count lined up to play before this one. However, my young son loves horses. Being in a city, we don't get many options to get him on one. He enjoyed walking Roach around in Witcher 3, but it's not particularly wide open and he was getting attacked frequently.

The new Assassins Creed Odyssey would be a far better opportunity for that sort of thing than RDR.

mndtrp 11-02-18 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13437033)
It will take a couple/few hours to get to the point where you can do that but yeah. Once the world opens to you, you can just ride around without any consequence I've seen. I'm sure there is some wilderness that will attack you but it's not like Witcher where there are actual enemies to look out for.

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13437055)
The new Assassins Creed Odyssey would be a far better opportunity for that sort of thing than RDR.

Thank you both for your input. AC:O was also in a long list of games I wanted to play, so I may pick that one up for the horse riding sim in the meantime.

eXcentris 11-02-18 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 13436193)
eXcentris
I finally got my shipping notice yesterday for delivery for today. Hopefully you got it too.

I'm going to be calling them later today and seeing how they respond to a week delay as a Prime member. I'll let you know.

Same here, I received my copy yesterday. Didn't bother calling them though.

Redeyejoker 11-02-18 03:27 PM

Ok got through the 1st chapter but managed to get a 95.73 bounty. How can I sell the rings, jewelry etc that I loot?

Adam Tyner 11-02-18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Redeyejoker (Post 13437125)
Ok got through the 1st chapter but managed to get a 95.73 bounty. How can I sell the rings, jewelry etc that I loot?

You unlock a fence in chapter 2.

I haven't done this yet, but apparently you can also turn yourself in, do jail time, and only pay 20% of your bounty.

Redeyejoker 11-02-18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13437144)
You unlock a fence in chapter 2.

I haven't done this yet, but apparently you can also turn yourself in, do jail time, and only pay 20% of your bounty.

Ha that might be cheaper. I’ll try that later.

****im good now. Lol***

bluetoast 11-04-18 09:00 PM

Liking it so far. But it was a little fucking annoying when I was chasing a dude, then was prompted to interact with him, in what I assume was an encounter where I could make a choice. I could hear, but not see him. As I tried to approach, all of a sudden, I hear him die and I lose honor, as if I’d killed him.