DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/578467-red-dead-redemption-2-%97-10-26-18-a.html)

OldBoy 10-22-18 07:30 PM

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 —> 10/26/18

So, you could care less why you’re doing a certain mission or chapter? Just follow the directions and play? You don’t care really when you finish or do you still say good game when finished based solely on gameplay/mechanics?
The ending scene of RDR1 wasn’t awesome and reminiscent of
Spoiler:
Butch Cassidy...
which was very cinematic and a clear homage?

fumanstan 10-22-18 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13430522)
Each medium has a different strength, but due to player choice and gameplay, story will never be a videogame's primary strength - if it is, it will suck as a game (i.e. Telltale "games").

To each their own, but I don't find this to be the case at all for me. There's plenty of games that I find their story to be their primary strength, elevating otherwise good to average gameplay to a stronger overall experience. The Naughty Dog games are in this boat to me; Uncharted is one of my favorite series of all time, and a large part of that is attributed to the story and characters. The platforming is pretty good, and the combat ranges from poor to average, but the story drives that entire series for me. Because video games put the player in "control", I think it even aides in the attachment a player can have to the characters that make an epilogue like the one in Uncharted 4 all the more impactful and satisfying then if someone didn't care two shits about the story.

I found the gameplay in The Last of Us to be pretty mediocre, but the story again made it worth playing. I'd throw something like Bioshock Infinite in that boat too, which I loved.

slop101 10-23-18 01:19 AM

For me, it was the atmosphere that made those games, not the story. And honestly, the stories for all of those were rudimentary, at best. Not saying the stories didn't help those game at all, but it's just not what gets me and keeps me playing, as they're weak when compared to the average stories in pretty much every other story-telling medium.

fumanstan 10-23-18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13430701)
For me, it was the atmosphere that made those games, not the story. And honestly, the stories for all of those were rudimentary, at best. Not saying the stories didn't help those game at all, but it's just not what gets me and keeps me playing, as they're weak when compared to the average stories in pretty much every other story-telling medium.

Can't say I agree. Not that I consider them equivalent to a cinematic masterpiece or anything, but moments like the opening sequence of The Last of Us, the end twists to Bioshock/Bioshock Infinite, or the overall character arcs of Nathan, Elena, and Sully across 4 games to be as engaging as some of my favorite movies.

Or something like Life is Strange, advancing the Telltale and adventure game formula where player choice can be so much more impactful and meaningful to developing the story and outcome of the game.
Spoiler:
Directly contributing or preventing a character's suicide, or forcing the player to choose an option of euthanasia were aspects that I found as hard hitting and emotional as any tear jerker of a drama.

I'm sure we can go back and forth in disagreement, but I just don't find the stories in some of these games nearly as weak comparatively as you do.

slop101 10-23-18 10:16 AM

I don't think you quite understand my point - guess what I'm trying to say is that the next Ernest Hemingway, or James Joyce is going to write his own novel or screenplay - he's not going to be a staff writer for Activision.

The Questyen 10-23-18 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13430823)
I don't think you quite understand my point - guess what I'm trying to say is that the next Ernest Hemingway, or James Joyce is going to write his own novel or screenplay - he's not going to be a staff writer for Activision.

If that was your point this whole time that the greatest writers of all time are not going to write a videogame story well no shit. None of that is relevant to whether story is an important part of a game.

slop101 10-23-18 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13430829)
If that was your point this whole time that the greatest writers of all time are not going to write a videogame story well no shit. None of that is relevant to whether story is an important part of a game.

Sure it is, because it means that it can never be the most important aspect of the game, because it takes a back-seat to almost all other aspects of a game.

The Questyen 10-23-18 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13430837)
Sure it is, because it means that it can never be the most important aspect of the game, because it takes a back-seat to almost all other aspects of a game.

That is a factually untrue sentence.

fumanstan 10-23-18 11:38 AM

Yeah, I'm confused and I guess I don't understand anymore because the point I thought you were trying to make before made more sense. It's fine if you think the story in games aren't anywhere close to movies, TV, or books; that's just personal opinion and completely fine if you value gameplay over story.

But having the best writers involved has nothing to do with whether the story is the most important aspect of the game. I mean, the point of the "walking simulator" genre like Gone Home or my before mentioned What Remains of Edith Finch most certainly prioritize story as the most important aspect of the game, regardless of who wrote them.

mattysemo247 10-23-18 12:23 PM

Oh shit

https://kotaku.com/inside-rockstar-g...mpression=true

Music 10-23-18 01:20 PM

Wow... that is a fucking book.

Rob V 10-23-18 01:29 PM

Anybody know how much these guys & gals get paid? I'm referring to the working folks who actually put in those crazy hours?

slop101 10-23-18 04:08 PM

In the final year of development on Red Dead Redemption 2, the upcoming Western game, the top directors decided to add black bars to the top and bottom of every non-interactive cutscene in hopes of making those scenes feel more cinematic, like an old-school cowboy film. Everyone agreed it was the right creative move, but there was a catch: It would add weeks of work to many people’s schedules.

“You can’t just slap black bars on the cinematics we’ve already shot,” said one person who worked on the game. “You have to reframe the camera so that the cinematics flow in a particular way, and you’re emphasizing what you weren’t emphasizing initially with that shot.”
Wait, they didn't think of making the cinematics in scope until after they had already done them?
That's just stupid and backwards, showing a failure in management, and proving my point with how storytelling takes a backseat to other aspects of a game.

Groucho 10-23-18 04:16 PM

Doesn't make sense to me. I like the "scope" look as much as everybody, but if it's going to take that much work to retroactively add them in, scrap the idea!

The Questyen 10-23-18 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13431027)
That's just stupid and backwards, showing a failure in management, and proving my point with how storytelling takes a backseat to other aspects of a game.

You don't even understand your own point.

fumanstan 10-23-18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13430940)
Anybody know how much these guys & gals get paid? I'm referring to the working folks who actually put in those crazy hours?

There's dozens of different positions each at varying skill levels, so it would vary wildly depending if you're an artist, animator, designer, software engineer, producer, etc and if you're an associate up to senior level.

slop101 10-23-18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13430846)
That is a factually untrue sentence.

It absolutely is, for me.

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13431040)
You don't even understand your own point.

You seem really confused about this - let me dumb it down for you... even the best stories in videogames pale in comparison to the average story in all other story-telling mediums, for a few reasons, primarily due to player choice (kinda like how a "choose your own adventure" book will never be high literature), and so many other things in games that are of greater importance to developers. If you're happy with storytelling in games as they are now, good for you, you're just not very discerning, IMO.

OldBoy 10-23-18 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13430910)

100 work week? jesus. i know it was delayed a few times, but hope they didn't rush it out and have all these bugs and stuff.

anyone know when review embargo lifts?

The Questyen 10-23-18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13431059)
It absolutely is, for me.
You seem really confused about this - let me dumb it down for you... even the best stories in videogames pale in comparison to the average story in all other story-telling mediums, for a few reasons, primarily due to player choice (kinda like how a "choose your own adventure" book will never be high literature), and so many other things in games that are of greater importance to developers. If you're happy with storytelling in games as they are now, good for you, you're just not very discerning, IMO.

I see you follow the Trump definition of facts.

Deftones 10-23-18 07:17 PM

i'm surprised we haven't seen reviews hit for this yet. not that this game isn't review-proof, but still, seems weird.

edit: just checked. appears there is an embargo until the 25th. that seems odd.

OldBoy 10-23-18 08:58 PM

1-day? I hate to speculate, but if they wanted to generate real and not speculative buzz. Perhaps we don’t have a winner and since preorders will be charged by 25th, they figure take the $$ and run. Maybe close shop for good. Hope not or I’ll :( breakdown and flipping :(. Not really and I’ll still play. Reviews don’t always bother me...

Decker 10-23-18 09:36 PM

Absurd post. They had a similar embargo with GTA V. Lots of AAA games have embargoes now. Doesn't mean a thing.

OldBoy 10-23-18 09:41 PM

I know. I’m not too worried. As I said, I still have it and will still play it, hopefully this weekend, but don’t want give up Odyssey...

dsa_shea 10-23-18 09:57 PM

I need this to take a break from Odyssey. I like the world of Odyssey and the activities, but you do them again and again and again and you get my drift. You go to one area or island, steal shit, slay a captain or two, duel with a wild animal, synchronize and then move on to the next.

fumanstan 10-24-18 12:47 AM

I wonder when reviewers actually got copies and it's a case of Rockstar trying to make sure everyone had enough time to play and complete the game.

Music 10-24-18 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13431193)
Absurd post. They had a similar embargo with GTA V. Lots of AAA games have embargoes now. Doesn't mean a thing.

You say that, as if that it is something new from Oldboy...

Noonan 10-24-18 09:19 AM

I'm really torn on getting this. I want to play the game but I'm a bit salty there's no PC version since I just fully upgraded my rig and this would have been a perfect title to show it off. And if I go console, I won't take advantage of my ultra wide monitor since neither console supports the resolution. But it looks so good...

OldBoy 10-24-18 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Music (Post 13431288)
You say that, as if that it is something new from Oldboy...

again, thank you Music for being the voice of reason and putting me in my place...

Maxflier 10-24-18 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13431343)
I'm really torn on getting this. I want to play the game but I'm a bit salty there's no PC version since I just fully upgraded my rig and this would have been a perfect title to show it off. And if I go console, I won't take advantage of my ultra wide monitor since neither console supports the resolution. But it looks so good...

Do you really want to pass up what will surely be one of the best games of this generation just because you have to play it in 1080p instead of 13554110 x 32445470?

Noonan 10-24-18 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13431376)
Do you really want to pass up what will surely be one of the best games of this generation just because you have to play it in 1080p instead of 13554110 x 32445470?

Well it's almost a definite that the game will hit PC sometime next year. So the question is do I want to wait. I will be playing it eventually.

slop101 10-24-18 01:19 PM

DthRdrX 10-24-18 06:51 PM

Just a heads up that you can use your phone/tablet as your map with the Companion App

Anyone have their order ship from the Rockstar Warehouse?

dsa_shea 10-24-18 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13431378)
Well it's almost a definite that the game will hit PC sometime next year. So the question is do I want to wait. I will be playing it eventually.

Should I bang now or should I wait until next year?

mattysemo247 10-24-18 10:10 PM

Damn, my new delivery date from Target is next Wednesday to Friday. That fucking sucks.

DthRdrX 10-24-18 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13431887)
Damn, my new delivery date from Target is next Wednesday to Friday. That fucking sucks.

Which edition did you get? Might want to just order from BB, pick up Thursday night, and return the other.

redrum 10-24-18 11:44 PM

So fucking pumped

R* game releases are like christmas morning

bluetoast 10-25-18 05:55 AM

Review embargo lifts in a few minutes for those who care.

I still have to play through RDR1, but am scheduled to get this tomorrow.

redrum 10-25-18 06:30 AM

10 on IGN

stingermck 10-25-18 07:05 AM

These reviews are amazing

it succeeds everywhere he travels: exploration, gunfights, stealth, main quest, characters, side quests, customization, acting, hunting, fishing... Name one element, it delivers. And it sure looks like one of the best looking games ever seen and has many secrets yet to be discovered. And so it can be considered as a masterpiece, an extraordinary, legendary game that we will talk about with sincere admiration for ages.

unprecedented depth and an interaction that marks a step forward in the electronic entertainment industry.

One of the best open world games ever, with the single best story ever written for a videogame.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is an immense, breathtaking experience that will be treasured for years to come.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a landmark title for storytelling, open-world design, voice acting, and immersion in video games. It is certainly among the best games of this console generation, but that's not all. It should eventually go down as one of the greatest games of all-time.

Criticisms often come easier than compliments, but in the case of Red Dead Redemption 2, I am at a loss. This is one of the most gorgeous, seamless, rootinest, tootinest games ever made, and if you voluntarily miss out on it, you’re either not a gamer or in a coma.

nickdawgy 10-25-18 07:06 AM

Was there any doubt this would get a 9-10 rating? I broke down and bought digital. Can’t wait to play.