The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Old 02-15-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Originally Posted by MWB
Fucking ska. Didn't realize we had that horrible bullshit down here.
Yeah, you have to get out of your house every once in a while
Old 02-15-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Originally Posted by pinata242
FUCK YOU, RUDY!

This was the same joke I made in high school when I met a guy affectionately known as "Ska-Man". Way to be topical

Fantastic album, by the way.
Yes, yes it is.

I really only listened to this album of theirs...I realized I liked the bass player's vocal stylings (verse of Showdown) better than the main singer, and am now a big fan of his band and new solo project (wearing the shirt today as a matter of fact)
You guys don't know how happy it makes me to hear there are some other Propagandhi fans on here! I also enjoyed their second album.

Never could get into the Weakerthans.
Old 02-15-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Never could get into the Weakerthans.
It's totally different (And very, VERY Canadian), that's why! Reunion Tour and Reconstruction site are very solid albums...as is the live one they released in the last couple years.

John's solo stuff is even more mellow - I like that I get to see him at a tiny club in April.
Old 02-15-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait a minute... Propagandhi is a gay, Canadian, vegan band. If L&O and miyu like them, what does that make me?
Old 02-15-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rules of math point to one result.
Old 02-15-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's totally different (And very, VERY Canadian), that's why! Reunion Tour and Reconstruction site are very solid albums...as is the live one they released in the last couple years.

John's solo stuff is even more mellow - I like that I get to see him at a tiny club in April.
Speaking of very Canadian, I have recently started listening to a couple good rap/hip-hop artists and oddly enough they are Canadian. Is there some secret Canadian hip-hop movement that I accidentally stumbled upon?

I only listened to the first Weakerthans record when it first came out... and I was expecting it to be like Propagandhi so was disappointed. Maybe if I give it a listen now in my mellower old age I will appreciate it more.
Old 02-15-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Speaking of very Canadian, I have recently started listening to a couple good rap/hip-hop artists and oddly enough they are Canadian. Is there some secret Canadian hip-hop movement that I accidentally stumbled upon?

I only listened to the first Weakerthans record when it first came out... and I was expecting it to be like Propagandhi so was disappointed. Maybe if I give it a listen now in my mellower old age I will appreciate it more.
Kna'an?

Yeah, there's apparently a good scene. That radio station I mentioned a while back (cbc Radio 3) is a good one to check out, covers the gamut of punk, rock, electronic, hiphop....

Yes, now that you're older and more mellow - give them a shot. Start with Reconstruction site.
Old 02-15-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Classified is the most recent artist I have been really enjoying. I started listening to him when Brother Ali did a track with him.
Old 02-15-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was my next guess.
Old 02-15-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

Worst DLC of the year. It pains me to say it but Astley is a fun drum track. Still the worst drum wise

Hall and Oats 1.6 lighters
Korn & EWG 3.25 lighters
CCR 1.6 lighters
Bush 4 lighters
Gold Star My Heart 1.5 lighters
Old 02-16-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Worst DLC of the year. It pains me to say it but Astley is a fun drum track. Still the worst drum wise

Hall and Oats 1.6 lighters
Korn & EWG 3.25 lighters
CCR 1.6 lighters
Bush 4 lighters
Gold Star My Heart 1.5 lighters
*blink*. Okay, if you say so. I found the Gold Star My Heart pack to be awesome. I immediately jumped into the Harmonix vocals battle and got #19 with only medium (I will try hard for sure). I got 100% on both Alone and Every Rose Has Its Thorn for vocals (since that's my thing) and 99% for the To Be With You and 98% for the Astley song (the Ooooooohs, Give You Up got me). But then again, this is a very vocal specific pack. So on those, along with the Hall & Oates packs, I'm going to love it...and you are probably going to hate it
Old 02-16-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nesbit, are you judging those songs on just drums or some amalgamation of modes?
Old 02-16-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Played the Valentine's pack on vocals last night and had a great time with 'em. I'll be trying the drums tonight, since my wife wants to try out the vocals too.
Old 02-16-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix
*blink*. Okay, if you say so. I found the Gold Star My Heart pack to be awesome. I immediately jumped into the Harmonix vocals battle and got #19 with only medium (I will try hard for sure). I got 100% on both Alone and Every Rose Has Its Thorn for vocals (since that's my thing) and 99% for the To Be With You and 98% for the Astley song (the Ooooooohs, Give You Up got me). But then again, this is a very vocal specific pack. So on those, along with the Hall & Oates packs, I'm going to love it...and you are probably going to hate it
Are there prizzes for these battles? I could probably destroy on them. #humblebrag But if there's no prize and they go away after a week, then there's really no point.

On Monday, I finally finished up playing through all my songs on expert vocals. 2170ish songs. Also have them all beat on bass, and all but the hardest ones on guitar (Through the Fire and Flames level stuff).

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 02-16-12 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Added proper hash tag for post style.
Old 02-16-12, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Are there prizzes for these battles? I could probably destroy on them. #humblebrag But if there's no prize and they go away after a week, then there's really no point.

On Monday, I finally finished up playing through all my songs on expert vocals. 2170ish songs. Also have them all beat on bass, and all but the hardest ones on guitar (Through the Fire and Flames level stuff).
I don't believe so outside of Leaderboard recognition. This one goes for three weeks I believe (I only entered it because it was right there and usually the battle will be here are 4 songs, 2 of which you don't own, this was a rare time when I owned all 4 and it was vocals to boot). And if you sing expert vocals reguarly, I'm sure you can kick some serious butt (including my own). Medium/Hard I'm usually pretty good but Expert is a whole new craziness and my voice while good...isn't amazing which is what it seems to need. I can bust out some expert stuff (Whitesnake, Tom Petty, Bryan Adams), but it's not an automatic, even on the stuff I really know.
Old 02-17-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

DLC for 2/21:

DLC Week of 2/21 - Megadeth 3 Pack! Symphony of Destruction w/ Pro & more!
Hey gang,

For close to 30 years thrash metal pioneers Megadeth have wowed listeners with their brutal yet melodic sound, recording a number of platinum records and selling out arenas worldwide. On February 21st, “Megadeth Pack 01” brings three of the band’s tracks to the Rock Band Music Store.

1992’s Countdown to Extinction was an instant hit, debuting at #2 on the Billboard charts, thanks in part to the strong single “Symphony of Destruction,” the first track in this three pack of headbangers. The second track in the pack is “À Tout le Monde,” from Megadeth’s sixth studio album, 1994’s Youthanasia. This collection is rounded out by “Public Enemy No. 1” from the band’s latest record, 2011’s TH1RT3EN.

"This is an awesome game and fans get to play a cross-section of our best songs ever," said Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine. "I am going to have to learn my songs all over again!"

These three tracks add to an ever-growing library of Megadeth’s music that's playable in Rock Band; their classic records Peace Sells… but Who’s Buying? and Rust in Peace are also available for download in their entirety on the Rock Band Music Store. The band is currently touring North America, headlining the traveling festival Gigantour alongside Motörhead, Volbeat, and Lacuna Coil.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii™ and PlayStation®3 system (February 21st, 2012):

• Megadeth - "Symphony of Destruction" X
• Megadeth - "À Tout le Monde"
• Megadeth - "Public Enemy No. 1"

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system February 22nd)

Tracks marked with “X” will offer Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points™) for “Megadeth Pack 01”
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points, 200 Wii Points™) per song
$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points™/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade
Symphony!!!
Old 02-17-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In for Symphony!
Old 02-17-12, 10:52 AM

In for Symphony for sure. It might be a rough sing but I know it very well. I know Tout Le Monde but not very well, so probably not. Public Enemy, no clue.
Old 02-17-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
In for Symphony!
Ditto.
Old 02-17-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Originally Posted by pinata242
Nesbit, are you judging those songs on just drums or some amalgamation of modes?
It's about 85% drums (both fun and challenge wise) and 15% how much I like the songs. If I'm on the fence about to what to rate a song ill factor in how much fun it is on other instruments.

Hall and Oats 1.7 lighters 3/3 gs
Korn & EWG 3.25 lighters 1/4 gs
CCR 1.7 lighters 3/3 gs
Bush 4 lighters 2/3 gs
Gold Star My Heart 1.5 lighters 4/4 gs

Overall average 2.4 lighters 13/17 gs

Excited for Megadeath. Not the biggest fan but know the two older songs well and it should be fun.

Last edited by Nesbit; 02-17-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

And with Symphony... what's left of the original Guitar Hero setlist that hasn't made it to Rock Band?
Old 02-17-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a good thread on completing the Guitar Hero setlists.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225112
Old 02-17-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I ran into a problem last night. I busted out my ps3 copy of RB3 for the first time ever and was going to play some guitar. I downloaded the update and everything went fine through set up and all that. I ran into problems when I went to quick play. I made a set list of about 6 songs and when I went to start, I was kicked to the XMB. This happened a couple more times throughout the night. I also had an issue where the signal to my TV just quit in the middle of a song. I haven't had any problems with any other games on the PS3 or any of the other components connected to my soundbar before or after this. Has this happened to anyone else playing on PS3? I have never had any problems on the 360.
Old 02-17-12, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Here's a good thread on completing the Guitar Hero setlists.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225112
Rock Band Aide also has a series of setlist checklist articles to keep track of what songs have made it over.

12 songs remaining out of the original 30:

Audioslave - Cochise
Bad Religion - Infected
Black Sabbath - Iron Man
Burning Brides - Heart Full of Black
Cream - Crossroads
The Donnas - Take It Off
The Exies - Hey You
Helmet - Unsung
Incubus - Stellar
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground
ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man

Three GH1 tracks in the last month, pretty good. I'd like to see them try to finish off the rest of them this year. As many as possible, anyway.

Last edited by Matt; 02-17-12 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cream? Why couldn't they get the original Bone Thugs version? Lame.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.