Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by Groucho
Anybody know what this is?
I haven't heard anything out of the rumor mill. Perhaps there's a missing cog in the wheel of information?
Old 07-12-11, 11:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by pinata242
I haven't heard anything out of the rumor mill. Perhaps there's a missing cog in the wheel of information?
Whew, thought I was the only rube here. Incredible that more isn't known.
Old 07-12-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rain is coming as a character for MK? Damn, I didn't think I would be buying any of the overpriced characters for the game but he was one of my favorites back in the MK3 Ultimate era.
Old 07-12-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a pretty good review of Ms. Splosion Man
Old 07-12-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

If you say so. I couldn't make it past the first chorus of that clip.
Old 07-12-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I cried.
Old 07-12-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ms. Splosion Man is #1 on the list of "Games That Need No Review, Ya Monkeys".
Old 07-12-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I wonder if it'll be possible to unlock the game from demo before Wednesday morning. You can bet I'll be trying...
I just tried this after midnight EST, and it says the game is available to purchase for -1 MS points. Click on Confirm Download and get the following:

Originally Posted by Derp
Your Microsoft Points balance is too low to complete this transaction. Please add more points to your account.

Current balance: 2510
Required balance: 4294967295
Damn, I knew I should have grabbed 1,073,741 of those 4,000 MS points cards from the Buy deal last week.
Old 07-13-11, 08:54 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Voltron avatar items!?
LOL my eyes got very wide when i saw that on the list. Is there a Voltron game coming out??

I love me some Voltron.
Old 07-13-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Ms Splosion Man seems like they're getting a step closer to bringing this world into full retail in the not too far future.

It's also the most gloriously sexist game I've played in ages
Old 07-13-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is it sexist? Do you have women in your life that actually talk and act like that?

It's also viciously hard compared to the original. Lots more dying. Lots more cursing. But lots more laughing. Hardcore on this one is going to be a bitch (pardon the misogyny).
Old 07-13-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How is it sexist? Do you have women in your life that actually talk and act like that?

It's also viciously hard compared to the original. Lots more dying. Lots more cursing. But lots more laughing. Hardcore on this one is going to be a bitch (pardon the misogyny).
It's stereotyping, but hilariously so.

And yes, I have met a few that kind of act like that.

And while Splosion Man was no walk in the park, I agree this one is much more difficult.
Old 07-13-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Ugh, really? I thought the first one was plenty hard.
Old 07-13-11, 08:14 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

That really sucks. I only got about halfway through the first one. I enjoyed the levels I was able to finish, so I didn't regret the purchase. But if this one's more difficult, I'm going to pass. Frustrating isn't fun.
Old 07-13-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's also the most gloriously sexist game I've played in ages
FWIW I agree with you.
Old 07-13-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Ugh, really? I thought the first one was plenty hard.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
That really sucks. I only got about halfway through the first one. I enjoyed the levels I was able to finish, so I didn't regret the purchase. But if this one's more difficult, I'm going to pass. Frustrating isn't fun.
Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe I'm wrong. It's a legit sequel. Lots of new elements and puzzles to solve. It's, by nature, harder because they can do more things.

It's not "Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2" harder, but it's certainly not "Ninja Gaiden 2" toned down either. It feels totally appropriate.

But my comment was more thinking about going through these levels without dying in Hardcore mode like I did with the original 'Splosion Man. It'll be a lot tougher. In regular mode (with checkpoints and multi-hit deaths) it's not really that much different. By no stretch of the imagination should it be a deterrent.
Old 07-13-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe I'm wrong. It's a legit sequel. Lots of new elements and puzzles to solve. It's, by nature, harder because they can do more things.
No...you're right on. It's a ton busier, and that alone makes it feel more difficult. I just spent 18 minutes on level 2-2, finally get through this super complicated timed portion, and even at the very end of the level the game totally suckered me into a super cheesy death right before the finish and all I could do was fucking laugh. And that is why I love TP so much. I literally wanted to throw my controller through the TV 60 seconds prior cause I was dying so much, then I die unexpectedly and laugh. It was awesome.
Old 07-14-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After reading your guys comments (and I did play the demos as well), there is no way in heck I am going near Ms Spolsion man. I do not feel like losing what little hair I have left on my head. Yeah, I learned a long time ago, if a game is overly frustrating, I don't need to be playing it. I'll stick with playing Torchlight for the immediate future which has been loads of fun.
Old 07-14-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Turns out the game isn't as hard as I was initially giving it credit for.
Old 07-14-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
FWIW I agree with you.
I still argue that when a caricature is that over the top, it can't be taken seriously as reinforcing sexist stereotypes. You can say it's not particularly funny, and I would agree, but I can't imagine anyone being offended by it, unless they are offended by almost everything.

The pop song and movie references are a lot funnier than the shoe and mall jokes, IMO. Also, the game itself is awesome.
Old 07-14-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Out of curiosity, what are these examples of sexism in Ms. Splosion Man?
Old 07-14-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yesterday I went to go get my kids from camp and as I was leaving the neighborhood, I saw a late-teen/early-20s girl skating down the sidewalk. Not rollerblading or anything. Rollerskates. Like Midnight Madness rollerskates.

An hour later, at dinner, my 10 year-old told me a story with a girl from her age group at camp saying "gag me with a spoon". I see side-ponytails, french-rolled jeans, hot pink, etc.

The 80s are returning. Twisted Pixel is on the cutting edge ;-)
Old 07-14-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I still argue that when a caricature is that over the top, it can't be taken seriously as reinforcing sexist stereotypes. You can say it's not particularly funny, and I would agree, but I can't imagine anyone being offended by it, unless they are offended by almost everything.

The pop song and movie references are a lot funnier than the shoe and mall jokes, IMO. Also, the game itself is awesome.
Caricatures by nature are *-ist based on what they're representing, they exaggerate stereotype, but it isn't always a bad thing. I usually find racist stereotypes funny, and the sexist ones are pretty damn funny in this. It's all very trivial stuff that I can't imagine would actually offend anyone, ever, but the stereotyping of a shoe obsessed, mall savvy, man hungry women fits here. Pretty sure it's satirical (above all else, she is still kicking ass), and it's certainly funny.

Glad the sequel turned out as well as it did, I had some technical glitches on the first couple stages but none since (One time I died and the screen went blank, and stayed blank, though the pause menu worked. Another time the (X) Skip sign stayed on screen for the remainder of a level.)

Last edited by RichC2; 07-14-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yesterday I went to go get my kids from camp and as I was leaving the neighborhood, I saw a late-teen/early-20s girl skating down the sidewalk. Not rollerblading or anything. Rollerskates. Like Midnight Madness rollerskates.

An hour later, at dinner, my 10 year-old told me a story with a girl from her age group at camp saying "gag me with a spoon". I see side-ponytails, french-rolled jeans, hot pink, etc.

The 80s are returning. Twisted Pixel is on the cutting edge ;-)
That only proves the 80s are returning to Oklahoma.
Old 07-14-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shumway
That only proves the 80s are returning to Oklahoma.
Wouldn't it be more of an insult to say they never left

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.