Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Anyone check out the indie game called Fatal Seduction? It was pretty disturbing actually.
Might want to toss a NSFW audio warning on that one.
Old 07-06-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

It's funny that the game's title : Fatal Seduction sounds so much like a generic sexy thriller from the Nineties.
Old 07-06-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Might want to toss a NSFW audio warning on that one.
Not really. Who here doesn't here Fuck in their workplace at least 20 times a day? And really, who doesn't use headphones at their desk? Or if they have an office, close the door so no on knows they are watching youtube?
Old 07-06-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Of course I bought the previous game right away and then like never played it again.
Same thing here. Was looking so forward to it that I bought it without even playing the demo and then I absolutely hated it. Haven't touched it since. By far my worst XBLA purchase. The new one's not even on my radar.
Old 07-06-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Not really. Who here doesn't here Fuck in their workplace at least 20 times a day? And really, who doesn't use headphones at their desk? Or if they have an office, close the door so no on knows they are watching youtube?
I always turn my speakers way up when watching YouTube at work so that anyone near me can enjoy the audio. Then the F-bomb was dropped and I got fired. THANKS A LOT.
Old 07-06-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I always turn my speakers way up when watching YouTube at work so that anyone near me can enjoy the audio. Then the F-bomb was dropped and I got fired. THANKS A LOT.
Sucks to be you with no AAA title coming out for a while to keep you busy.
Old 07-06-11, 03:50 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by pinata242
Christ HC:U is fucking stupid tough. I get the point is play, upgrade, repeat, but it's still insane.
It's certainly nuts. You have to do a lot of upgrading in order to survive to the end. I barely made it, but was really happy when the credits rolled and I knew I beat it. Not because it was bad, of course, as it's a good game.

The first two achievements I earned didn't count towards my overall score. So, perhaps if I load it up again, it's been patched...
Old 07-06-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have to recover your gamertag from the XBL servers first in case your local one prevents the unlocking of the achievements again.
Old 07-07-11, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Downloaded and played the trial for Torchlight last night. This is what Daggerdale should have been like. Very awesome and easy to pick up gameplay but with a ton of things to go through with the weapons, armor, rings, fish and so forth. At 800, it seems well worth it, but I'll need to pick up some points tomorrow first.

Also, probably the best trial I've played, they let you play the game for a good long time and better yet, they save your game. So, when I get it this weekend, there is all of my stuff that I have already gained. Wish more demos would entice you like that.
Old 07-07-11, 09:57 AM

Yeah, Torchlight is a much better game than Daggerdale, but Dagggerdale does have the one feature that Torchlight desperately needed -- online multiplayer.

I'd have gotten Torchlight except that I already have it for the PC and can't see any reason to re-purchase despite really liking the new control scheme.
Old 07-07-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't forget that Stacking is 50% off this week, even though it isn't listed on the main DotW page.
Old 07-07-11, 03:29 PM

August 2010 Castlevania Harmony of Despair Discussion:
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I watched a few random ten second clips from that video and heard "Castlevania version of Four Swords" and now I'm extremely excited.

Wait, wait, wait, is this shit online only? No local?
Originally Posted by Decker
Yup. Online only.
Fuck "next-gen."
Originally Posted by superfro
The way the screen scales and as small as it is in parts I'm not sure how they would've been able to do it splitscreen.
Really?

REALLY?
Originally Posted by superfro
Yes really. Play the demo and look for yourself.

I'll probably try the demo.. but I guarantee there's nothing the game does that would prevent it from working in split-screen.

Spoiler:
Other than selling for $50 what everything else offers for free.
Spoiler:
ICE BURN.

I know he don't come round here no more, but it turns out, Pixy was right:

Originally Posted by Joystiq
Castlevania Harmony of Despair reborn on PSN this summer with couch co-op

by JC Fletcher on Jul 7th 2011 3:25PM

Having pulled assets from old Castlevania games out of their graves for the XBLA release of Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, Konami is dusting off their creaky pixels once again for a PSN re-release of the multiplayer side-scroller.

The PSN version of Harmony of Despair will include playable Julius Belmont and Yoko Belnades characters, which were extra DLC on Xbox, as well as the Pyramid of Ruin level. In addition to that, PSN-ers patiently waiting for their chance to re-invade Dracula's castle will have access to a new local co-op mode for up to four players. The online mode still supports six.

Harmony of Despair is currently due on PSN "later this summer."

Last edited by Decker; 07-07-11 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Grabbed Torchlight for 800.
Old 07-10-11, 10:12 AM

Here's a video preview of From Dust. It's the SotA game I'm least sure I'll buy. It sure looks pretty for an XBLA game (bet the game is 2GB or bigger), but not sure how much fun the gameplay will be. Pretty sure I'll be getting the other four, so unless I hate the demo, I'll probably get this one too.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALr7ewimA78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-11-11, 11:07 AM

Lots of little no-name sites have put up Ms Splosion Man reviews this morning. All seem to have ranged in rating the game from "Very Good" to "Great", which isn't surprising after playing the demo. I assume the big sites will follow suite later in the day with their reviews.
Old 07-11-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/11/ms...on-man-review/

People like to ask if video games can be art. I think I've come up with a better question: Can video games be science? Using specific and carefully arranged digital stimuli, is it possible to reliably reproduce the same result?

In the case of Ms. 'Splosion Man, I believe it is. The desired result, in this case, is fun.

Ms. 'Splosion Man takes everything that was good about the original 'Splosion Man and manically runs with it. Like many platformers, the goal every level is simply to reach the end, triple-jumping past obstacles and solving puzzles along the way. The obstacles remain essentially the same – acid, spikes, blades, crushers, etc. – though the puzzle elements have been greatly expanded for 'Splosion Man's significant other.

The sheer number of additions to the (scientific) formula is dizzying. Moving platforms are back, as are the jump-boosting and enemy-blasting barrels. Added to the mix are rocket cars, zip lines, jet engines, cannons, trampolines and much more. One of my favorite new items is a background panel that instantly recharges Ms. 'Splosion Man's 'splosions.

These resplodinators (as I have charmingly named them) can fill entire rooms and are often suspended over acid and dotted with any number of death-inducers. Stop jumping, and Ms. 'Splosion Man will fall to her death. Jump too much, and she slams face first into an electric barrier.

Another great addition is a barrel that, when 'sploded, will send Ms. 'Splosion Man careening into the background. Combined with all the other devices, I often found myself guiding her over platforms, rocketing into the air, blasting into the background, dodging spike-laden crushers, leaping back into the foreground and – if I was lucky – getting my timing right to hit the final barrel that would send me to safety. If the puzzle sequences in the original 'Splosion Man resembled a demented ballet, then the later sequences in Ms. 'Splosion Man resemble a demented ballet precariously balanced atop another demented ballet.

It's this demented, but precise choreography that lends to the science of it all. The level design, while brutal, is meticulous and calculated, and the goal is always clear. Death, like a failed experiment, provides valuable data for the next run, allowing players to see the action that will cause the next reaction needed to progress.

One mistake in these carefully choreographed sequences, and it's instant death. Thankfully respawns are also instant. Fail too many times, and players are offered the opportunity to skip to the next checkpoint. Be warned, however, that doing so imparts a horrible curse (which I won't spoil here). Furthermore, the especially difficult levels, which are highlighted in red, are entirely optional.

All of these mechanics carry over into Ms 'Splosion Man's multiplayer mode. Multiplayer has an entirely separate campaign – and a separate ending – that requires both cooperation and precision timing. As in the original 'Splosion Man, placing your digital life in another player's hands is both nerve-racking and rewarding. Deliberately allowing your partner to die ... well, that has its own rewards too.

For those who despise the company of other humans, there's also "2 Girls 1, Controller" mode, which allows players to control two Ms. 'Splosion Men (Women?) with a single controller. It's about as difficult as it sounds – just watch the video above – though certainly intriguing for those who enjoy a challenge. And before you ask, it is possible to complete the entire multiplayer campaign in 2G1C mode – the feat was accomplished by the game's lead designer, Sean Riley.

One second, she's aping dance moves from Beyonce's "Single Ladies," then she's up on her tippy-toes like a ballerina. Next, she's doing "the Carlton dance" or gabbing on a cell phone. She's also much more talkative than 'Splosion Man, singing any number of girl-power pop ballads or quoting films – everything from "Like a Virgin" to "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

It's true that her comments are mind-bogglingly single-faceted, but they're too over-the-top to be offensive. She is, in effect, the feminine opposite to 'Splosion Man's macho, meat-headed bravado.

It's very clear that Twisted Pixel put a lot of love into Ms. 'Splosion Man. It would have been easy to cobble together fifty new levels for the original 'Splosion Man, put a bow on his head and call it a day. Instead, however, Twisted Pixel went above and beyond to produce something better. Stuffed with new mechanics, meticulous level design and what I believe (with some confidence) to be the best ending of all time, Ms. 'Splosion Man excels over its predecessor in every way.

I await 'Splosion Man Jr. with bated breath.

Old 07-11-11, 01:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

'Splosion Man fans, rejoice!
Old 07-11-11, 02:07 PM

I wonder if it'll be possible to unlock the game from demo before Wednesday morning. You can bet I'll be trying...
Old 07-12-11, 03:46 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've played the trial for the original 'Splosion Man and the beta for Ms. 'Splosion Man. For some reason, the games just don't do it for me. So, I'm going to pass on it.

Warhammer 40K: Kill Team and Boulder Dash XL on Wednesday, along with Ms. 'Splosion Man. All three are 800msp.
Old 07-12-11, 03:47 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by pinata242
You may have to recover your gamertag from the XBL servers first in case your local one prevents the unlocking of the achievements again.
I may try that. Thanks.

I think it's a glitch that may not have anything to do with my profile, but it's worth a shot. I reviewed the game and played it a couple days early, which is when I had the issue. The first two achievements I unlocked failed to add onto my score. However, when I beat it and unlocked a 10pt one, it worked.
Old 07-12-11, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really curious about the Warhammer game. I imagine it will be terrible since I have seen/heard absolutely nothing about it till this week.
Old 07-12-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wick
I may try that. Thanks.

I think it's a glitch that may not have anything to do with my profile, but it's worth a shot. I reviewed the game and played it a couple days early, which is when I had the issue. The first two achievements I unlocked failed to add onto my score. However, when I beat it and unlocked a 10pt one, it worked.
When you play a XBLA pre-release, the servers don't update correctly for it. You'll have to recover your profile like pinata said, and then generally those achievements are reset and you'll have to earn them again. It's brutal, but only really if you care about points.
Old 07-12-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Coming Soon To The Xbox LIVE Marketplace

Here is a look at some of the upcoming content scheduled for the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.*

<colgroup><col style="width: 236pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 11483" width="314"><col style="width: 80pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3876" width="106"><col style="width: 109pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5302" width="145"></colgroup>
Xbox LIVE Arcade Release DatePrice Microsoft Points
Ms. ‘Splosion Man13-Jul800
Warhammer: 40,000 Kill Team 13-Jul800
Boulder Dash XL 13-Jul800
Crazy Machines Elements13-Jul800
Bastion20-Jul1200
Game Add-onsRelease DatePrice Microsoft Points

L.A. Noire Reefer Madness Vice Case 12-Jul320
Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues 19-Jul800
Mortal Kombat “Rain”19-Jul400
Carnival Games Coasterama Pack19-Jul400

Dance Central   
Taio Cruz “Break Your Heart”19-Jul240
Trey Songz “Say Aah”19-Jul240
Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force “Planet Rock”19-Jul240
Deal of the WeekDiscount DatesPrice Microsoft Points
Grand Theft Auto  
Grand Theft Auto IV Ballad of Gay TonyJuly 19 – July 25800
Grand Theft Auto IV The Lost and Damned July 19 – July 25400
Grand Theft Auto: San AndreasJuly 19 – July 25 800

Games on DemandRelease Date
G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra12-Jul
Fuel12-Jul
R.U.S.E. 19-Jul
Cars 19-Jul

Kinect 
Get Fit with Mel B12-Jul

Toy Soldiers: Cold War 12-Jul
Michael Jackson The Experience 12-Jul
The Guild14-Jul
Call of Juarez: The Cartel 19-Jul
Bastion20-Jul
Voltron21-Jul
Halo Collection21-Jul

*As with all game related releases, dates, prices and availability are subject to change and vary by region.

Arcade, Avatar Marketplace, Deal, Game Add-on, Marketplace, Xbox 360 Games On Demand By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson

Old 07-12-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Voltron avatar items!?
Old 07-12-11, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Crazy Machines Elements
Anybody know what this is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.