Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I will probably pick up Doom II at 400 space bucks (I certainly got my money's worth with the first Doom on XBLA). I tried out 3d Ultra Golf and Costume Quest. The golf game flat out sucked (my opinion) and Costume Quest seemed awfully cute but I just wasn't feeling it enough to buy it.
I dunno. I thought (if nothing else) that the golf game demo was a LOT better than the first game's demo. Sure it's simplistic, bot I liked the holes they let you play (especially the termite hill). It's nothing special, but if my kids like it, I may be able to get $5 worth of enjoyment out of it.

Costume Quest -- I bought it at that price on PSN. It's one of two games that I really got an Emperor's New Clothes vibe -- wondering why everyone is losing their shit over this good, but certainly flawed game (the other game being a grainy, black & white physics-based child dismemberment simulator). Costume Quest is very cute and has lots of charm, but the game-play is a little dull. It breaks down of trick-or-treating door to door with RPG-lite battles that really require no technique or strategy. There's no map or way to move the camera, resulting in frustration when you just miss spotting a house or alley you're supposed to explore. And the neighborhood gets repetitive, obviously, so that can lead to more confusion (at least it did for me). It is kind of funny in points, though. I'd say it's worth that price if you're charmed by it, but why everyone seems to be so in love with this game is totally beyond me.
Old 03-30-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

So I've yet to buy into Pinball FX2. Been waiting for a sale and, at this point, I just can't give in. I know I'll get mad addicted to it. I'm still expecting at least the Marvel tables to go on sale when Thor, X-Men, or Captain America hit theaters in May, June, and July respectively.

All of that being said, yesterday @zen_studios tweeted:

Spent the day playing EIGHT new tables and TWO brand new game prototypes. It's an exciting time at ZEN Studios!
I really can't wait to see what they have to offer. I think it's safe to assume (what with their polls on the subject) that more Marvel properties are coming. Thor and Captain seem obvious.

But I'm really hoping they have more licensing and partnerships in the works. Remember when they had that high score contest and some of the prizes were donated by Twisted Pixel games? Could you imagine a TP table with (Ms.) 'Splosion Man, Comic Jumper, Maw, and Gunstringer elements? Or a 4-pack!?
Old 03-30-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Costume Quest -- I bought it at that price on PSN. It's one of two games that I really got an Emperor's New Clothes vibe -- wondering why everyone is losing their shit over this good, but certainly flawed game (the other game being a grainy, black & white physics-based child dismemberment simulator). Costume Quest is very cute and has lots of charm, but the game-play is a little dull. It breaks down of trick-or-treating door to door with RPG-lite battles that really require no technique or strategy. There's no map or way to move the camera, resulting in frustration when you just miss spotting a house or alley you're supposed to explore. And the neighborhood gets repetitive, obviously, so that can lead to more confusion (at least it did for me). It is kind of funny in points, though. I'd say it's worth that price if you're charmed by it, but why everyone seems to be so in love with this game is totally beyond me.
have u tryed playing moar furst perzon shooterz?

Originally Posted by pinata242
But I'm really hoping they have more licensing and partnerships in the works. Remember when they had that high score contest and some of the prizes were donated by Twisted Pixel games? Could you imagine a TP table with (Ms.) 'Splosion Man, Comic Jumper, Maw, and Gunstringer elements? Or a 4-pack!?
I called that shit months ago and I'm sticking by it. AND....it's gonna be awesome!

Also..I got this direct message on Twitter from one of the Twisted Pix dudes back on Feb 1st.....

Just wait. You speculated about something a while back that's going to blow your mind when it actually happens...
Between online and the show we do I can't remember all the dumb shit I say, so who knows what I was babbling on about, but I'm hoping it's the Pinball FX stuff.
Old 03-30-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Burger Time HD is coming "early Summer" and it kinda looks shitty. I just want the original, really.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/30/bu...e-this-summer/

After showing the game at GDC, MonkeyPaw Games has officially announced BurgerTime HD, its first experiment in "evolving" a retro game as opposed to merely re-releasing it. The announcement adds lots of meaty information to the, uh, news ... wich.

The updated version of Data East's classic burger-stacking platformer is being developed by Frozen Codebase, and it's coming to XBLA, PSN, PC and WiiWare "early this summer," according to MonkeyPaw president John Greiner. A peck of Peter Peppers will be able to play together, since the game now includes four-player online multiplayer, along with split-screen local multiplayer. Leaderboards, DLC and chat will help add a modern flavor to this culinary concoction.

We'll let MonkeyPaw describe the updated gameplay, since we don't know if we'd ever be able to generate a sentence this wonderful on our own: "A unique cylindrical playing field reinvigorates the familiar classic gameplay of creating enormous hamburgers while fending off wieners, condiments and spices." The enlarged 3D landscapes offer "numerous paths of burger creation."
For size:
Spoiler:

Old 03-30-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Burger Time HD is coming "early Summer" and it kinda looks shitty. I just want the original, really.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/30/bu...e-this-summer/
That does look pretty awful. Maybe it was only 400 points, I'd be interested/willing to give it a shot. But somehow, I think they will go for 800 at least.
Old 03-30-11, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kedrix
That does look pretty awful. Maybe it was only 400 points, I'd be interested/willing to give it a shot. But somehow, I think they will go for 800 at least.
No way they do an HD remake like that and charge 400 points for it. That'll be the sale price eventually though. When I was a resident (and dinosaurs still walked the earth), there was a Burger Time arcade machine on the heme/onc unit. At night, while waiting for lab results or for an admit to arrive on the floor, I would play the hell out of that old machine. I would have loved an arcade-perfect port of the game -- it was #1 on my wish-list for the Game Room. Those HD screen shots just make me sad.
Old 03-30-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If they put an arcade port in that remake, I'll probably bite, especially at 400 points. Also would love it in Game Room #NeverGiveUp
Old 03-30-11, 01:34 PM

If they put an arcade port in that remake, I'll probably bite, especially at 400 points. Also would love it in Game Room #NeverGiveUp
GameRoom...what the hell is that?
Old 03-30-11, 02:19 PM

Did anyone else check out the demo for Islands of Wakfu yet? It's really pretty and extremely Japanese-ey. Feels like an old PS1 JRPG, but with nicer graphics. Demo moves very slow though and it sort of cooled my interest in it. Still I could see myself getting it dring a sale or something. Cute little game.
Old 03-30-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's Joystiq's XBLA in Brief for these three titles:

<embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple/c4bb9274/" width="437" height="266" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed>

Rush'N Attack looks like Shadow Complex blended with Assassin's Creed and dumbed way down.
Old 03-30-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's Joystiq's XBLA in Brief for these three titles:

Rush'N Attack looks like Shadow Complex blended with Assassin's Creed and dumbed way down.
Sounds perfect for me.
Old 03-30-11, 05:38 PM

OXM arrived today and they just LOVED the new Dishwasher game The Dishwasher : Vampire Smile (coming April 6th) and claim that it's just awesome, with super-brutal animations and that it's hard without being as cheap as the original. They gave it a 9.0 It was totally off my radar since I didn't like the first one and the reviews for the first were so tepid, but if this one turns out as good as they say, it certainly might be worth picking up. It also has local and Live 2-player co-op with the second player playing as The Dishwasher.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nGb3v81S0cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oY0rnRzp6y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-30-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I picked up Costume Quest, and World of Keflings so far. Really enjoying WoK, never played the first one (watched my daughter play it a few times.). I thought I read a couple pages back that someone wanted to share items, but now can't find the post.

I really like the look of Rush'N Attack Ex-Patriot but will wait for the inevitable sale.
Old 03-30-11, 07:16 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OXM arrived today and they just LOVED the new Dishwasher game The Dishwasher : Vampire Smile (coming April 6th) and claim that it's just awesome, with super-brutal animations and that it's hard without being as cheap as the original. They gave it a 9.0 It was totally off my radar since I didn't like the first one and the reviews for the first were so tepid, but if this one turns out as good as they say, it certainly might be worth picking up. It also has local and Live 2-player co-op with the second player playing as The Dishwasher.
Boba Fett got a review code for that on Monday. The embargo is up on April 4th at 9 A.M. ET, if interested in his review.
Old 03-31-11, 12:37 AM

From IGN today, the All-Time Top "Selling" XBLA Games:

While sales data for Xbox Live Arcade games is hard to come by, Microsoft does keep a public list of the top 12 all-time best-sellers:

1. Castle Crashers
2. Family Game Night
3. UNO
4. Pinball FX 2
5. Battlefield 1943
6. Trials HD
7. Worms
8. Magic: The Gathering
9. TMNT 1989 Arcade
10. Toy Soldiers
11. Limbo
12. Aegis Wing

I should note that Family Game Night, Pinball FX 2, and Aegis Wing are free downloads. So really, this is a list of the most-downloaded XBLA games.

High-rated XBLA games that don't make the list include:

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX: 10
Shadow Complex: 9.4
Bionic Commando Rearmed: 9.4
Portal Still Alive: 9.2
Plants vs. Zombies: 9.0
Peggle: 9.0
Super Meat Boy: 9.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I'm very surprised Splosion Man isn't on the list since 1) It's awesome, and 2) It was on sale for 160 points this Holiday season.
Old 03-31-11, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if these are full versions being that, as stated, some of those are free to download. I doubt it's just downloads. PFX2 and FGN are probably individual titles all rolled up. That being said, it's telling that Game Room doesn't rank.

If it wasn't for Aegis Wing I would have said it's all revenue from DLC included. Magic makes me think that since it's technically a $25 total. PFX2 and FGN fit that. Plus all the $15 titles would have a distinct advantage if that were the case.
Old 03-31-11, 08:40 AM

As I understand it, the list just refers to the "full versions" purchased. For FGN and Pinball FX2, that's just the demo and doesn't indicate any actual DLC purchase.

I'm always surprised by how well Trials HD has sold. It was always listed near the top of the Live charts for over a year. Yes it's a good game, but still it sold better than so many other great games.
Old 03-31-11, 09:33 AM

Oooh, per Major Nelson, one-day-only sale starting tomorrow:
Okay, well now it's tomorrow. Don't know where they got this information (it's not listed with the other ones at Major Nelson's site), but CAG is listing X-Men Arcade for 200 points (75% off) as well during the one-day sale. For that price, I'm sure it'll be worth picking up. I'm sure I've put more than 10 quarters into the X-Men arcade machine in my day.
Old 03-31-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That price on X-Men is only on the German marketplace, as far as I'm aware. We get Deadliest Warrior instead.

EDIT: Guess I was wrong if it was mentioned on Major's Minute in the US.

Last edited by Shagrath; 03-31-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 10:03 AM

Okay, well now it's tomorrow. Don't know where they got this information (it's not listed with the other ones at Major Nelson's site), but CAG is listing X-Men Arcade for 200 points (75% off) as well during the one-day sale. For that price, I'm sure it'll be worth picking up. I'm sure I've put more than 10 quarters into the X-Men arcade machine in my day.
I've put more than 10 quarters at a time into that game . 200 points is an absolute steal for that sucker. I'll get my wife to check since i'm at work and all. See if it is true .
Old 03-31-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll definitely get X-Men for 200 points. I was in for 400 with my expected movie promotion tie-in in early June.
Old 03-31-11, 02:27 PM

I'll definitely get X-Men for 200 points. I was in for 400 with my expected movie promotion tie-in in early June.
Welp, my wife checked early this afternoon and we got....still 800. I'm not sure when this sale actually goes into effect. And if this is an April Fools joke, I'm going to beat somebody
Old 03-31-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's always been April 1st. That's what Decker meant by "Okay, well now it's tomorrow". Not that today is tomorrow but that the sale is finally "tomorrow".

Wait a day.
Old 03-31-11, 03:09 PM

It's always been April 1st. That's what Decker meant by "Okay, well now it's tomorrow". Not that today is tomorrow but that the sale is finally "tomorrow".

Wait a day.
Ahhh, alright..that actually makes more sense. Hopefully I remember tomorrow to check things before I head into work. That way if I need more than 800 points (what's left on my account currently) I can swing by somewhere and grab a card.
Old 03-31-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched the Major's Minute on the dash and he clearly lists X-Men for 200 points. It's so on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.