Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Old 10-21-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by pinata242
Hey, I just noticed the line drawn in the sand between the haves and the have-nots!
Yeah..you totally busted it wide open! Way to crack the case!
Old 10-21-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Old 10-21-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was going to call you Encyclopedia Brown, but you weren't worthy of the title. Even in mockery.
Old 10-21-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was going to post a picture of the Mystery Team, but even I knew I wasn't up to those standards.
Old 10-21-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was going to post a picture of the Mystery Team, but even I knew I wasn't up to those standards.
Hey..did I show you my pic with Donald Glover right after I talked to him about how Mystery Team was fucking awesome? Let me know and I can email it to you.

Also..would you like to get a room?
Old 10-21-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, you did say that he looked like his heart melted, though.
Old 10-21-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Honestly I just went and read the review and do not see where your reaction is coming from. The game is what it is, but it's not ONLY an insanely hard game. It's funny, cute, retro, includes a lot of neat easter eggs related to other games, etc. The only thing I saw in the review singling out people is a comment about the "younger Halo generation not being into the game". I guess I don't see that as being particularly offensive. I definitely disagree that the game is "only for the most skilled players". I think it is the type of thing you can get better at, with patience, but I guess from your reaction I was expecting statements of "This is the best game ever because it's old school and if you don't like it then you're a fucking moron or a stupid kid!" and really there's nothing of that sort in the review.
Actually, I'm a little surprised you see it that way, Superfro. After listening to your podcasts consistently for one year, I know how you'd handle a review of a game like this. You'd be very upfront about the difficulty, admit it's not for everybody and then give reasons why it's still worth playing. You'd give information on the strategies you used to beat the game. You'd never divide the world into those old-school hardcore gamers who can cut it and those who are trained to look for the Win button. You'd never tell those who don't like a difficult game to go back to camp-spawning in Halo instead.
I don't have a problem with a company making a difficult game -- they're very up-front about that. My issue is that review characterizing those who don't like it or can't get through it as some sort of lesser gamer. It's unprofessional.
On the last podcast, you rightfully took Twisted Pixel to task for making Comic Jumper not only too hard, but being unfair in points and gave specific examples. You compared the difficulty to Splosion Man and you were right. You then gave reasons why Comic Jumper is still worth seeking out despite the unfair difficulty and sub-optimal gameplay. There's nothing like that in this review of Super Meat Boy. In that review, the author is drawing his line in the sand. I own a Wii, I bought a Move -- does that mean there's no way I'd like this game? That's what he says.
Again, my gripe isn't with the game. It might not be for me in the same way that the Castlevania XBLA game from this Summer wasn't. I'm all for different games for different gamers. But I don't have to be dismissed or belittled in a review for not being exceptional in this sort of game. That's what I found offensive.
Old 10-21-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Superfro was obviously bought and paid for.
Old 10-21-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
You'd never divide the world into those old-school hardcore gamers who can cut it and those who are trained to look for the Win button. You'd never tell those who don't like a difficult game to go back to camp-spawning in Halo instead.
But IMO this is you reading into the throw away line of the "youngest of the Halo crowd", i.e. those that didn't grow up or have much experience with platformers. I mean at no point does he say the things you listed above outright.

I own a Wii, I bought a Move -- does that mean there's no way I'd like this game? That's what he says.
It's not what he says. He says:

"Wii-mote / Move / Kinect only users need not apply."
Is your only gaming experience Move or Wii? He's targeting a specific group of casual gamers. I guess I'm inclined to agree with that point in regards to this specific game. My dad plays bowling on the Wii. I would not recommend he play Super Meat Boy. (Well I would because I'm a jerk, but you hopefully see my point. )

I'm also not trying to justify anything about the game at this point, but rather just the review and your reaction to it. Hell...I've barely played much of the game to even speak much on it.
Old 10-21-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
OK, I played the trial of SMB and all I can say, is as an "old school" gamer who played his share of NES platformers, the game is a pile of half-baked, garbage that panders to people who think it's "hip" to be nostalgic. The sloppy, floaty controls are where most of the difficulty of the game comes from, and guess what, when an NES game had similar control back in the day, it was considered a negative.

I'll take a well made Mega Man over this overpriced Flash game any day. Between this and Comic Jumper, designers need to quit trying to go "old school" and focus on making a playable game first.
I want to make sweet, sweet love to this post.
Old 10-21-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
I want to make sweet, sweet love to this post.
The controls on Super Meat Boy are perfectly fine, I would go as far to say they are rather exceptional. They would have to be for this kind of game to work. A self-proclaimed "old school gamer" should be able to feel this. Instead, it's being misguidedly targeted as the problem in place of somebody just indicating that they are not a fan of this genre (twitch platforming) or that they are just not skilled enough to enjoy it at this level.
Old 10-21-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

But IMO this is you reading into the throw away line of the "youngest of the Halo crowd", i.e. those that didn't grow up or have much experience with platformers. I mean at no point does he say the things you listed above outright.

(
We'll have to agree to disagree. I got a definite air of elitism from his review. Perhaps I'm too sensitive, but I didn't get remotely offended by any of the other dozen rapturous reviews of this game that I read online.

And while this game may have many redeeming characteristics, make no mistake that its insane difficulty level is its raison d'etre. What's the one unique thing it brings? A simultaneous replay of all previous attempts so you can watch many, many Meat Boys die while one makes it out. That's clever and funny, but it highlights that this is a game designed to frustrate and require many failures before success. Now many folks (especially game reviewers) might really be into that, and that's fine. But clearly this is a game that's designed to be extremely, crushingly hard -- not just at the end but the entire way through. Not for a higher purpose like getting you to level up or buy upgrades (like Scott Pilgrim and even Comic Jumper did), but just to be that difficult. Embrace it if you like, but don't deny it.
Old 10-21-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the one unique thing it brings?
There are many unique things about the game. I don't think anybody is denying the games intent or focus on being difficult, it's what these games do, but it brings a lot more to the table for me than N+ did for instance. There's humor, charm, a kickass soundtrack, fun little 8bit homages of game elements, other indie game cameos....tons of stuff. N+ was just level after level of blandness. I had fun with it, but even it seemed to be much harder earlier on than what I've experience with SMB at this point.

In fact if I had to tie down the most unique thing about SMB and it's existence as a difficulty driven death simulator it's that it does so in addition to actually being funny and entertaining. Level after level of that stuff would really grate on me if it weren't for everything else going on in the game. It's sort of like CJ in that way for me.
Old 10-21-10, 11:04 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

We'll have to agree to disagree. I got a definite air of elitism from his review. Perhaps I'm too sensitive, but I didn't get remotely offended by any of the other dozen rapturous reviews of this game that I read online.
I haven't played Super Meat Boy yet, but what I gathered from Clark's review was he was trying to say people with experience on difficult platformers are better equipped to handle the challenges and inevitable frustrations in SMB, thus they will get the most enjoyment out of the game's entertaining story, unlockable characters and overall presentation.

I don't think he was trying to be insulting, but rather serve as a warning to anyone interested in a purchase. A game like Alien Hominid kicked my ass, so I'm betting that I wouldn't be able to handle SMB. But I'll take a closer look at the language. Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 10-21-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI...new Radiangames release (Fluid) coming to XBLIG........tonight!

http://radiangames.com/?p=351
Old 10-21-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flay
Clark's review
Who is Clark?

The only two I know are habitual liars and can't be trusted:

Old 10-21-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI...new Radiangames release (Fluid) coming to XBLIG........tonight!

http://radiangames.com/?p=351
Rock!
Old 10-21-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome.
Old 10-21-10, 11:40 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Who is Clark?

The only two I know are habitual liars and can't be trusted:
The one on the right, but wearing loose fitting Superman pajamas underneath his clothes.
Old 10-21-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone pick up Costume Quest? The demo has been pretty fun and rather funny. The combat gives me warm fuzzies by reminding me a little of Gladius (one of the best Xbox games ever). I'm curious how long the actual game is. Anyone know? 3 hours? 40?
Old 10-21-10, 12:02 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Anyone pick up Costume Quest? The demo has been pretty fun and rather funny. The combat gives me warm fuzzies by reminding me a little of Gladius (one of the best Xbox games ever). I'm curious how long the actual game is. Anyone know? 3 hours? 40?
I picked it up and love it so far, I heard the game is about 5 to 6 hours long which is fine by me so I can get back to Fallout NV.
Old 10-21-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The controls on Super Meat Boy are perfectly fine, I would go as far to say they are rather exceptional. They would have to be for this kind of game to work. A self-proclaimed "old school gamer" should be able to feel this. Instead, it's being misguidedly targeted as the problem in place of somebody just indicating that they are not a fan of this genre (twitch platforming) or that they are just not skilled enough to enjoy it at this level.
I don't know - I felt that N+ nailed what Meat Boy does not, both in control feel and implementation.

By your same logic, you should like Little Big Planet, since that also has floaty controls that the game's levels were designed around. Doesn't change the fact that it controls like shit.
Old 10-21-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't know - I felt that N+ nailed what Meat Boy does not, both in control feel and implementation.
I don't know, I'd have to fire N+ up again but I have beaten every level in that game and I helped a friend of mine out getting past some really tough levels on her DS copy and I'm pretty damn sure the controls in both are really, really, really similar. Going by memory the only thing I could note is that there was a greater feeling of momentum in N+ and you could do nutty things like sky-high jumps with ramps, which I don't recall seeing anything like that in Super Meat Boy demo.
Old 10-21-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I bought it blind and plan to play it with my kids. I know the reviews are somewhat lackluster but heck, it's Halloween themed and who doesn't love this time of year?
Old 10-21-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
I bought it blind and plan to play it with my kids. I know the reviews are somewhat lackluster but heck, it's Halloween themed and who doesn't love this time of year?
I'm probably going to buy it to play with my daughter as well.

There is one problem with the game (as for playing with kids). There are no voice-overs so all the text must be read. Many of the conversations auto-advance and advance pretty quickly. Several times I have not been able to read the text out-loud quick enough before it advances to the next bubble. That was in the demo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.