Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Old 08-04-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by Decker
For starters, if ever there was a game asking to be compared to Team Fortress 2, it's that one. If you're going to totally rip its art style, any comparisons are totally fair game.

I really wonder what this game's raison d'etre is. Really, what is this game's ceiling? If absolutely everything works brilliantly, you're still left with a competent TF2 clone with a much smaller and rapidly decreasing online community. If you already own TF2 on the PC is there any reason on earth to buy this?
It most definitely has to deal with the comparisons and that's all on them. Just to be clear I wasn't trying to defend that fact, just stating they will definitely face that barrier from every side. (But again, their own doing.)

As for the reason to buy it, I guess that's what we're all waiting to see right? I don't have TF2 on the PC, so that style with some kind of upgradeable perks sounds a bit interesting at the start for me. I definitely want to check it out.
Old 08-04-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Tried the Castlevania HD demo. It didn't really do much for me.
Old 08-05-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Tried the Castlevania HD demo. It didn't really do much for me.
Is there an option to go online with it?
Old 08-05-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was an MP option, but I've got enough other stuff to play right now to spend time on something that doesn't really grab my attention right away. Especially when that something costs $15, which I can't really afford at the moment.
Old 08-05-10, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
It most definitely has to deal with the comparisons and that's all on them. Just to be clear I wasn't trying to defend that fact, just stating they will definitely face that barrier from every side. (But again, their own doing.)

As for the reason to buy it, I guess that's what we're all waiting to see right? I don't have TF2 on the PC, so that style with some kind of upgradeable perks sounds a bit interesting at the start for me. I definitely want to check it out.
Another reason for XBLAers to look at it would be because Lead & Gold is never coming out on the platform according to a statement I read Tuesday.
Old 08-05-10, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Is there an option to go online with it?
No. From what I saw, the demo is SP only. So I tried the SP demo...
Spoiler:
Old 08-05-10, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Another reason for XBLAers to look at it would be because Lead & Gold is never coming out on the platform according to a statement I read Tuesday.
I don't think one has anything to do with the other. There are several online XBLA shooters currently available for those interested, such as 1943 and Perfect Dark. Hell there was one released only three weeks ago, though I can't remember its name right now. The problem I (might) have with MNF is that it's so blatantly ripping off a far superior game with a huge online community. A game I might add that is already on the 360 and packaged on a single disc with two of the greatest games of all-time and available everywhere for $15 or so.
I have no idea why this particular game was selected for SotA; it appears to be very ordinary and absurdly, comically derivative.
Old 08-05-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I haven't played a Castlevania game since the NES days.
Old 08-05-10, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to think I was unfairly judgmental. Then I found DVDTalk.
Old 08-05-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. There are several online XBLA shooters currently available for those interested, such as 1943 and Perfect Dark. Hell there was one released only three weeks ago, though I can't remember its name right now. The problem I (might) have with MNF is that it's so blatantly ripping off a far superior game with a huge online community. A game I might add that is already on the 360 and packaged on a single disc with two of the greatest games of all-time and available everywhere for $15 or so.
I have no idea why this particular game was selected for SotA; it appears to be very ordinary and absurdly, comically derivative.
When I played L&G, all I could think of was TF2. When MNC (not Football, I believe ) is only offered on XBLA and L&G isn't, I think it's a fair substitute. Especially when I was talking directly to superfro who should be placed on suicide watch since L&G isn't coming out on XBLA.
Old 08-05-10, 08:23 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am excited about lara croft guardian of light....please don't let it suck
Old 08-05-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Especially when I was talking directly to superfro who should be placed on suicide watch since L&G isn't coming out on XBLA.
I think I'll make it. It certainly does suck though. It was kind of obvious that something odd was going on.
Old 08-05-10, 09:20 AM

I think I'll make it. It certainly does suck though. It was kind of obvious that something odd was going on.
I know you've probably forgotten this as Heavy Rain came out six months ago, but you do own a PS3, which is capable of playing Lead & Gold.

I agree that something weird happened with this game and XBLA and I wonder what that was. My guess is that MS was very reluctant to release downloadable games initially introduced as PS3 exclusives. I know there have been a few games that have debuted on PSN a few weeks before the XBLA (like the upcoming Scott Pilgrim) due to conflicts with an XBLA Spring or Summer promotion, but I can't recall a single game that came out initially on PSN and only came to the XBLA months later. That might be against their policy.
Old 08-05-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know you've probably forgotten this as Heavy Rain came out six months ago, but you do own a PS3, which is capable of playing Lead & Gold.

I agree that something weird happened with this game and XBLA and I wonder what that was. My guess is that MS was very reluctant to release downloadable games initially introduced as PS3 exclusives. I know there have been a few games that have debuted on PSN a few weeks before the XBLA (like the upcoming Scott Pilgrim) due to conflicts with an XBLA Spring or Summer promotion, but I can't recall a single game that came out initially on PSN and only came to the XBLA months later. That might be against their policy.
Fret Nice is the only thing I can think of.

I know I have a PS3, but I don't even have a headset for the thing. Plus I'm not really into playing games like that with people I don't know. So I guess the point is obviously I don't want to play it that bad.
Old 08-05-10, 11:02 AM

So I guess the point is obviously I don't want to play it that bad.
Well, judging by the fact that I bought L&G in the Steam Sale a month ago and have yet to even download it, apparently neither do I!
Old 08-06-10, 09:40 AM

Well, I wanted to check first-day sales numbers of this year's SotA vs last year using 360voice.com. So far, last year's promotion is certainly outpacing this year.

Summer of the Arcade 2009
Splosion Man : 1962
Marvel vs Capcom 2 : 4025
Turtles in Time Reshelled : 3529
Trials HD : 3771
Shadow Complex : 8020

Summer of the Arcade 2010
LIMBO : 4020
Hydro Thunder Hurricane : 1246
Castlevania HD : 1884

I still think Lara Croft will sell well though.
Old 08-06-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see MNC or LC doing anything to tip those scales either.

Scott Pilgrim the week after will probably place at least 3rd in the 2010 SoA list
Old 08-06-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really care about sales, but if it's falling off this year hopefully they'll go back to getting more arcade-styled games.

Seriously, who is looking at XBLA to get Tomb Raider or Team Fortress Lite?
Old 08-06-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I don't really care about sales, but if it's falling off this year hopefully they'll go back to getting more arcade-styled games.

As someone who purchased their 360 a number of years after release, I like that there is a large variety of game "types" for me to choose from now.

BTW - Your Indie recommendations were really good. If only I could get my kids to stop standing in front of the TV when I play Joy Joy, I think I could last more than a min.
Old 08-06-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Well, I wanted to check first-day sales numbers of this year's SotA vs last year using 360voice.com. So far, last year's promotion is certainly outpacing this year.

Summer of the Arcade 2009
Splosion Man : 1962
Marvel vs Capcom 2 : 4025
Turtles in Time Reshelled : 3529
Trials HD : 3771
Shadow Complex : 8020

Summer of the Arcade 2010
LIMBO : 4020
Hydro Thunder Hurricane : 1246
Castlevania HD : 1884

I still think Lara Croft will sell well though.
Do the arcade games really only sell a couple thousand? I would have though the numbers much higher.
Old 08-06-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Those are just a subset of xbox users, those that register their accounts with 360voice.com. It's bigger, but proportionally it works as a comparison.

Except that you have to consider the 360voice.com community has grown over the last year and so too has online xboxes
Old 08-06-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know exactly how Decker pulls the data or when so these are probably invalid for those purposes, but right now TrueAchievements.com lists this data:

LIMBO - 8,118 tracked gamers have this game
Hydro - 2,079 tracked gamers have this game
C:HoD - 949 tracked gamers have this game

These numbers only reflect members of the TA website who have earned at least 1 achievement in the game. People may own it and have played it without having been counted. And it's to-date, not first day or first week sales. But you can see how popular games are that way.

For reference:
Shadow Complex - 22,015 tracked gamers have this game
Trials HD - 22,140 tracked gamers have this game
Pac-Man: CE - 20,096 tracked gamers have this game
Geo Wars - 19,665 tracked gamers have this game
Geo Wars 2 - 13,755 tracked gamers have this game

Last edited by pinata242; 08-06-10 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 10:26 AM

On 360voice.com under Games, you can pull up graphs and see how many members played any game on any given day. I use first day sales (as opposed to peak use day) to compare apples to apples. Some games have a spike when they go on sale and a few like Trials HD, Braid and Splosion Man actually increase as positive word spreads. For the most part however, that first Wed is the biggest sales day.

As far as what the sales numbers mean, it's probably not much bit I think oversaturation of the market and higher price have decreased XBLA sales this year.
Old 08-06-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush
As someone who purchased their 360 a number of years after release, I like that there is a large variety of game "types" for me to choose from now.
I don't really mind a variety, but I'm guessing that these "retail lite" titles aren't going to hold up too long. I think MS figured they'd ride Battlefield's surprise success on XBLA but I'm willing to put down that that's more of a one-time thing and people shopping XBLA aren't going to want lesser versions of stuff they can buy at Wal-Mart again very soon. Or maybe not.

Originally Posted by orangecrush
BTW - Your Indie recommendations were really good. If only I could get my kids to stop standing in front of the TV when I play Joy Joy, I think I could last more than a min.
Thanks! I hope I can get more more to recommend soon.
Old 08-06-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I wouldn't write off the Tomb Raider game so quickly. I've read a lot of good things about it, and it's not just another Tomb Raider game - it's apparently more of a co-op Diablo-style game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.