Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by starman9000
I really want Carcassonne but can't bring myself to buy it because it was free at one point. (well, plus I figure nobody will want to play it anymore)

Pretty stupid I know.
I got in for free but I feel it would have been worth the 800 space bucks.

If you grab it, I'll get in on some games with ya, maybe a DVDTalk Carcassonne night?

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Still coming supposedly. I spoke with a few folks at Origins this year who acknowledged it was coming but weren't involved with the video game company enough to give more details (I was speak with the tabletop folks).

Dungeon Twister will melt brains with the levels of strategy required.
Yuh, you mentioned that once before, I've still got fingers crossed for it, it sounds awesome.
Old 07-26-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

At Target this week, games and accessories > $39.99 are Buy 2 Get $20 Gift Card. CAG is reporting that this works on 4000 points cards. Going to try it in a couple of hours...

Last edited by chuckd21; 07-26-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
At Target this week, games and accessories are Buy 2 Get $20 Gift Card. CAG is reporting that this works on 4000 points cards. Going to try it in a couple of hours...
Hmm, I'd have to check on the math but wouldn't the Amazon price offer more bang per dollar?

Edit: Yup, just barely though (and without having to commit to 8000 points and another trip to Target).
Old 07-26-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll try that too. Any reason why it wouldn't work on the 1600 cards? Is there a minimum price?

Edit: Yup, $39.99 or more.

FREE $20 GIFTCARD WITH PURCHASE OF ANY 2 GAMES OR ACCESSORIES, $39.99 OR MORE!

Last edited by pinata242; 07-26-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Hey, Try Not to Fart is a good game!
I stopped playing that in 1997 after I got married.
Old 07-26-10, 05:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Try Not to Fart suffers from the same problem as many of the indie games out there. My enjoyment of it lasted just long enough to get me through the free preview.
Old 07-26-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Target deal works in points. Xbox, PSN and Wii points. I bought two 4000 points cards last week. Yeah, they had the same deal last week.
Old 07-26-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I stopped playing that in 1997 after I got married.
Same here (except the year was this year ), now we play the game, "Who can fart the loudest?" :
Old 07-26-10, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrX

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Wow, weird. I've seen a 7/10 and a 10/10 at other sites. Not sure what to make of that, but I'll give the demo a whirl. I always liked Hydro Thunder, but I'm not sure I'm enough of a super-fan to drop $15 on it
Joystiq gave it a very enthusiastic review of it, calling it (essentially) the best racer on the service. I'm wondering if IGN is giving it too low a review in the same way that they pretty much trashed the above-average (IMO) twin-stick shooter Aqua a few months back.
Old 07-26-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Joystiq gave it a very enthusiastic review of it, calling it (essentially) the best racer on the service. I'm wondering if IGN is giving it too low a review in the same way that they pretty much trashed the above-average (IMO) twin-stick shooter Aqua a few months back.
My guy gave it an enthusiastic review as well, and he played the hell out of the original.
Old 07-26-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Try Not to Fart suffers from the same problem as many of the indie games out there. My enjoyment of it lasted just long enough to get me through the free preview.
Here's my take on Indie Games like Try Not To Fart:

A lot of these simple, 80 point games have something worthwhile about them. A gimmick, a mechanic, a sense of humor, whatever. They're not generally games that I would put more than an hour into (especially without leaderboards). So I treat them as I would a street performer. I stop, I watch/listen, and if I like what I've seen/heard, I'll throw them a buck for a job well done. I'm not coming back that same direction though.
Old 07-26-10, 08:17 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Look Hydro Thunder Hurricane - Giant Bomb

<object width="640" height="360" data="http://media.giantbomb.com/media/video/flash/flowplayer-3.1.5_10002.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.giantbomb.com/media/video/flash/flowplayer-3.1.5_10002.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="whiskey-video-id" value="2963" /><param name="flashvars" value='config={"key":"#@db334ee8c5997373469","clip":{"scaling": "fit"},"canvas":{"background":"#000000","backgroundGradient":"none"},"playlist":["http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/23534/1446615-m5.jpg", {"autoPlay":false,"url":"http://media.giantbomb.com/video/vf_hydrothunder_hurricane_ql_700.flv"}],"plugins":{"controls":{"url":"http://media.giantbomb.com/media/video/flash/flowplayer.controls-3.1.5_10001.swf","autoHide":"always","timeColor":"#cc0000","bufferGradient":"none","volumeSliderColor":"#333333","durationColor":"#ffffff","sliderColor":"#333333","tooltipTextColor":"#ffffff","backgroundGradient":"none","timeBgColor":"#000","borderRadius":"0px","tooltipColor":"#000","buttonColor":"#cc0000","sliderGradient":"none","progressColor":"#cc0000","bufferColor":"#666666","volumeSliderGradient":"none","buttonOverColor":"#990000","progressGradient":"medium","backgroundColor":"#111111"}}}' /></object>
Old 07-26-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"What's the story?"
"Well, you are a boat."

Old 07-27-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, with how many BEYOND EXCELLENT games that came out during Summer of Arcade 2008, I ended up buying Braid but letting it fall behind (along with Galaga Legions, to a lesser extent) due to my obsessions with Geometry Wars 2, Bionic Commando and Castle Crashers (shit, every time I see that lineup it makes quiver, now we're getting Hydro Thunder, Tomb Raider and something called Monday Night Combat, which makes me shudder).

Anyway, I started it up last night and made it through most of the game (fifty of the sixty pieces). I suppose I may just be scraping the tip of the iceberg still but I guess I don't (yet) see the immeasurable amount of praise the game gets. It's a GREAT game with some extremely cool and creative puzzle platform elements, it was worth picking up and it deserved to be along that lineup of Godly games above, but I might be missing what made this game the infallible indie darling it became.
Old 07-27-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get to the ending of Braid and then come back and let us know what you think.
Old 07-27-10, 09:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

So I treat them as I would a street performer. I stop, I watch/listen, and if I like what I've seen/heard, I'll throw them a buck for a job well done. I'm not coming back that same direction though.
Here is how I treat a street performer: I watch the entire performance from the front row, enthusiastically. Then when it's time for him to pass the hat, I run like hell.
Old 07-27-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Get to the ending of Braid and then come back and let us know what you think.
Will do! Maybe tonight, even.
Old 07-27-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my take on Indie Games like Try Not To Fart:

A lot of these simple, 80 point games have something worthwhile about them. A gimmick, a mechanic, a sense of humor, whatever. They're not generally games that I would put more than an hour into (especially without leaderboards). So I treat them as I would a street performer. I stop, I watch/listen, and if I like what I've seen/heard, I'll throw them a buck for a job well done. I'm not coming back that same direction though.
Personally, I feel that, er, "games," like Try Not to Fart only damage the validity of XBLIG as a platform for small guys to make good games. When you simply need to title your game something stupid, steal graphics to make your game look like something else or include some brutally beaten into ground internet reference (like cleverly putting ones after exclamation marks) to get downloads/sales, this will continually lessen the incentive for people with actual talent and creativity to be talented and creative.

And with Microsoft's focus on turning XBLA into a "retail lite" platform, I think new, quality, arcade style games are going to start drying up fast, at least on the Xbox 360.
Old 07-27-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Luckily there's room for both on XBLIG. And Ska Studio's Zombie game is fun, ones after exclamation points or not.
Old 07-27-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Luckily there's room for both on XBLIG.
Absolutely. But I just feel that these desperate "hooks" that people are using to get their games in the Top Downloads section will eventually discourage people. The good games DO tend to end up in the Top Rated section, but I'd bet that these games still end up selling a lot less than games with farts or 4chan jokes in them.
Old 07-27-10, 09:32 AM

So much about Indie Games and the way they're presented on the 360 and Marketplace is poorly done in my opinion. I have a hard time even browsing through my collection. I guess I could tidy things up by deleting a lot of the demos, but it would be so much easier if I could just separate my full games from the demos. I know they've tried, but it's still hard as hell to know which XBLIG games are good and which are crap. You certainly can't go off the ratings or bestsellers since cheap 80 point crappy juvenile games always top the list (like the aforementioned Fart game). I know they have "Award Finalists" and "IGN Picks", but both are updated so rarely as to be useless. And there's the other issue, which is a 360 one. Most of these games would be fun to play for a few minutes and then move on to the next one, like one can do on an iPhone. The problem is with the 360's main dash -- to exit one XBLIG game and then browse and select another one can be about a full minute's worth of waiting and loading, making it not worth the time to me. I wish with all the dashboard updates they've had over the year that they could have propagated a Games list a lot quicker than they do. I'm so tired of looking at that rotating circle of dots.

edit: While I was typing this, Pixy posted pretty much exactly the same thing about the recommendation section of Indie Games Marketplace becoming worthless. Guess next time I need to type quicker.

Last edited by Decker; 07-27-10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But that's true for every form of entertainment. Books, movies, music, etc. It's all about marketing and since XBLIG relies largely on word of mouth to find the gems, most of it is just white noise. So if you can do something that makes your title actually noticeable at the small price of artistic integrity, well, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to make a buck.
Old 07-27-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, one member over at the NeoGAF site gives pretty good summaries of every XBLIG game released:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...342122&page=75

I'm sure other sites/forums may have similar recommendations.

Finding a good site and checking it every week or so would be your best bet to help find gems.
Old 07-27-10, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
But that's true for every form of entertainment. Books, movies, music, etc. It's all about marketing and since XBLIG relies largely on word of mouth to find the gems, most of it is just white noise. So if you can do something that makes your title actually noticeable at the small price of artistic integrity, well, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to make a buck.
Don't you feel that a good quality, independently made cheap game has a better chance of gaining an audience on the iPhone than on XBLIG? Between the many review sites, the detailed rating scores and user reviews you see in the Itunes store and the dynamically changing Best Seller lists, you get a really good idea of which new games are worth picking up and which are probably not. It's a far superior system to what the Marketplace has.
Old 07-27-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes...?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.