Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Never bought it . I probably should, but alas it got lost in the shuffle. Honestly, MvC2 for me is totally entertaining. Sheer amount of characters+different teams+challenging but not too cheap computer opponent = lots of fun. Then again I'm not a hardcore fighter fan, I like my fighters arcadey and full of options. It could also be because I absolutely suck at most fighting games in multiplayer and didn't need yet another Street Fighter game for somebody to whoop my ass in .
I was wondering if that were the case (that you'd never got around to SSFIIHD). I think if you liked MvC2, you'd like this even more. Be sure to look into it the next time it goes on sale (it's been discounted at least three times on XBLA and several times on PS3 over the past couple years).
Old 07-26-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I couldn't get into Super Street Fighter 2. The updated art is fantastic, but it just magnified the low frame rate of the game. And since Street Fighter 4 came out right afterwards, it was hard to go back and play it.
Old 07-26-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since nobody is posting marketplace links, I'll have to get everyone's lists posted later when I can grab the links myself.
Old 07-26-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I couldn't get into Super Street Fighter 2. The updated art is fantastic, but it just magnified the low frame rate of the game. And since Street Fighter 4 came out right afterwards, it was hard to go back and play it.
Can't argue with that. Such is the planned obsolescence that is the hallmark of the Street Fighter series.
Old 07-26-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Can't argue with that. Such is the planned obsolescence that is the hallmark of the Street Fighter series.
Which is interesting, since I believe they mentioned having a Third Strike release at Comic Con this weekend.
Old 07-26-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, there DO appear to be a few XBLA games in the second half of 2010 (and beyond) I'll check out. Almost certainly it really can't disappoint me as much as the last year has, either way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_Arcade_games

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.. the idea sounds cool and horrible at the same time, but it could work.

Comic Jumper, Twisted Pixel should mean an instant buy at this point, yes?

Plants vs. Zombies, I'm not a tower defense fan but this one does interest me.

Bonk: Brink of Extinction, the visuals are trash but hey, maybe the gameplay holds up.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, even if it's just a level pack, should be a no-brainer.

Rayman Origins, despite my animosity for it not being Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Rush'n Attack: Ex-Patriot, they're really reaching for franchise revivals, aren't they?

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, I pray it holds up to the first one with the developer shift.

BattleBlock Theater, another no-brainer based on the developer.

Blade Kitten, ugh, this one could go either way, I'm thinking.

Bomberman Live: Battlefest, no more Backbone? I only dreamed of the day.

Dust: An Elysian Tail, it LOOKS awesome, I'll give it that.

Jet Set Radio, rumored, and Sega will probably screw it up, but I can't help but be hopeful for it.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene, I've heard it was awesome from another version (iPhone?).

Spelunky, YES YES YES YES YES.

Guwange, see above.

TumblePop, a rare arcade game I used to like, not sure if it's a port or update.

And there's a whole slew of things I have no idea what they are on that list.
Old 07-26-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
You'd be surprised how many people swear to their favorite game, despite versions/sequels.

Personally, I'm in love with Alpha 3, I haven't really cared for anything since that one (other than the A3++ version on that collection disc).
Old 07-26-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've given up on Game Room. That thing has been one misstep after another.

As for XBLA, I'm loving Limbo and DeathSpank right now, and I need to find time to go back and play more of Monkey Island 2.
Old 07-26-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Pixy, as a SHMUP fan, I'm shocked you didn't even mention Shoot 1Up.

Probably the best $1 you can spend on Live.
Old 07-26-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I think I've given up on Game Room. That thing has been one misstep after another.
The whole interface thing still needs a lot of work but that doesn't keep the games from being great (highly subjective, obviously). I can see the game list disappointing to some but I'm a big fan of classic Konami stuff, which has been steady. If they can get classic Capcom, Midway and Namco stuff started, it'll become a beast, for sure.
Old 07-26-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The whole interface thing still needs a lot of work but that doesn't keep the games from being great (highly subjective, obviously). I can see the game list disappointing to some but I'm a big fan of classic Konami stuff, which has been steady. If they can get classic Capcom, Midway and Namco stuff started, it'll become a beast, for sure.
Did they ever fix the random "game stops for a split second every now and then" problem? That's the big fun-killer for me.
Old 07-26-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they ever fix the random "game stops for a split second every now and then" problem? That's the big fun-killer for me.
Other than when an achievement pops, I don't recall ever seeing that and as of last night, I've got at least eight hours logged into the damn thing.

Any specific game or was it everything?
Old 07-26-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been all over Game Room since launch and I have no idea what you're talking about, Gramps. I don't have 8 hours in any one game, but I'll probably have the 24h overall achievement soon.
Old 07-26-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've seen those. My theory is that it is related to advancing up the leaderboards when playing in ranked mode. I don't think I've seen it at all when not playing ranked mode.
Old 07-26-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I've seen those. My theory is that it is related to advancing up the leaderboards when playing in ranked mode. I don't think I've seen it at all when not playing ranked mode.
Well, at least I know I'm not going crazy here. It's a really annoying bug.
Old 07-26-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we're on the subject, here's some things I personally feel could improve Game Room.

01. Medals should absolutely be obtainable in challenges. You're playing identically to a ranked mode game.

02. Your medal list should only show games you own. For whatever reason, games you've demoed appear in this list.

03. You should be able to view medals for games you don't own (and possibly scroll through to requirements for silver/gold).

04. A "Game Room" specific friend list would be nice, scrolling through a hundred names to tag the couple of people you play challenges with is a pain in the balls, especially coupled with how slow Live seems to be at all times.

05. And the obvious one.. they need to get some new publishers on board as soon as possible. They've done remarkable with four publishers, I think, but the well will dry up eventually and it's better to have things spread out over dropping every Konami classic and then shifting over to only Capcom classics, for example.

Quick Edit:

06. You should be able to view instructions and leaderboards for games you don't own yet.
Old 07-26-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Could be a random connection and/or Xbox Live related issue, maybe?

I mean, me and pinata have played A LOT and neither of us have noticed it and it's not for lacking of attention as a lot of these games require twitch reflexes and timing, where this issue would absolutely be noticeable.
Old 07-26-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Challenges are effed up, too. It should just use your highest ranked score for the game instead of forcing you to go through the challenge menu and start up a challenge manually.
Old 07-26-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything is possible, but I've never seen any similar issues anywhere outside of Game Room. I know I've heard other people complain about it too.
Old 07-26-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

That is what I'm thinking. When you move up the leaderboard and it updates the list on the right, perhaps if the latency is too high, you see a bit of a hiccup.
Old 07-26-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Challenges are effed up, too. It should just use your highest ranked score for the game instead of forcing you to go through the challenge menu and start up a challenge manually.
I think initiating a challenge is the right way to do it. There's too many issues with just grabbing the score from a normally played ranked game. What SHOULD be addressed, absolutely, is that you should be able to start those challenges from the individual game's menu and not the interface menu.
Old 07-26-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be fair, I haven't played much since the real-time leaderboard inclusion. Most of my experience was before that. Seems possible.
Old 07-26-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, most of mine is after that, so, who knows?

I'm sure I'd notice if there were hiccups in Road Fighter or Mr. Goemon though.
Old 07-26-10, 12:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I wasted many quarters on Hydro Thunder in the arcade. I hope that Hydro Thunder Hurricane meets my (admittedly inflated) expectations.
5.5 from IGN
Old 07-26-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Here's my top 4 and a tie for 5th:

Pac-Man: CE RezHD Zuma Splosion Man Geometry Wars 2 Wik: Fable of Souls

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.