Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by slop101
What a lazy game - and to charge $15 for such a weak re-hash - they should be ashamed.
You haven't played it and are going off of two dude's takes. If you're not going to play multiplayer then I would strongly suggest against it, but that doesn't mean the game is lazy.

In fact the Eurogamer review fails to point out the biggest thing about having to redo levels. The fact that you're constantly bettering your character with items and learning the most efficient ways to get around and deal with the enemies. Some people won't be into the repetition, but before I knew it I found it completely addicting.

Edit - Just checked the IGN review and it at least seems to note the idea of the progression I outlined above. They gave it a 7.5. Since when is 7.5 "unfavorable"? Seriously.

Last edited by superfro; 08-02-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I'll try the Castlevania demo, but an XBLA game has to really impress me for me to drop $15. Money is a bit tight these days.
Old 08-02-10, 01:27 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

superfro, are you saying that each time you fail, the level gets easier because of your character leveling up?...or does it have more to do with you actually getting better at the game, or a little of both?
Old 08-02-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel that hardcore Castlevania folks will be down for it, but it's going to be a really tough sale in demo form to everyone else. (They NEED to allow the demo to take advantage of a timed multiplayer section IMO.) I'm enjoying it, but it took a bit of playing to grow on me. Something that a demo won't allow for.

Originally Posted by foxdvd
superfro, are you saying that each time you fail, the level gets easier because of your character leveling up?...or does it have more to do with you actually getting better at the game, or a little of both?
Both. But to be clearer you don't actually "level up". You do however pick up items and money that you can use to purchase new items and you retain all of those everytime you die. So basically on your next go through you may be able to purchase some new equipment that boosts your various stats. So as you play your character does get stronger, but there is no "experience" system per say. Also, you are learning the level each time you go through it. When you see this initally.....

....it's going to be a bit intimidating. Learning where to go and how to deal with the enemies is key, and the more times you go through the quicker it goes. It was taking me almost 20 minutes to get to the boss on this level when I first started. By the end I could get to him in 8 or less.

Also, I'm not sure if the other reviews mentioned it or not, but it should also be known that there is no way to pause the game. Each level is on a 30 minute clock and there is no way to stop the action once you begin. Even hitting the Xbox button won't pause the action on screen.

Last edited by superfro; 08-02-10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Also, I'm not sure if the other reviews mentioned it or not, but it should also be known that there is no way to pause the game. Each level is on a 30 minute clock and there is no way to stop the action once you begin. Even hitting the Xbox button won't pause the action on screen.
I'm sure that's so there won't be any problems when there's multiple people playing - but if that's also the case when you're playing solo, like I said, lazy programming.
Old 08-02-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm sure that's so there won't be any problems when there's multiple people playing - but if that's also the case when you're playing solo, like I said, lazy programming.
So outside of the lack of pause, what else is lazy about the game? Are you basing it on the reused assets in the game?
Old 08-02-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good overview of XBLIG games released over the last month:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402727
Old 08-02-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Seriously, I don't know how anybody could give an accurate review of this Castlevania game before it's readily available to all Live members on the Marketplace. It's going to suffer if it's reviewed based on a single-player experience. They should have taken a page out of the StarCraft II playbook and held off giving advance copies for early reviews to anyone.
Old 08-02-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Seriously, I don't know how anybody could give an accurate review of this Castlevania game before it's readily available to all Live members on the Marketplace. It's going to suffer if it's reviewed based on a single-player experience. They should have taken a page out of the StarCraft II playbook and held off giving advance copies for early reviews to anyone.
Well you can expect the bigger places got multiple codes. I know some of the Game Informer guys were doing 5 player over the weekend for instance.
Old 08-02-10, 04:26 PM

I'm still trying to get my head around this release. It's such a strange concept to build a Castlevania game on -- it sounds like it's all of the grind of a MMORPG with none of the rewards. I guess it might be fun in MP with a good tight group of online friends, but let's be honest : nobody plays any XBLA game in MP for more than a few weeks.
Such a beloved franchise and I don't know why they went the direction they did.
Old 08-02-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess it might be fun in MP with a good tight group of online friends, but let's be honest : nobody plays any XBLA game in MP for more than a few weeks.
I don't necessarily agree with the all inclusive statement of everybody and all games, but even so, I guess I'm not clear on the negative of that anyway? I guess that all comes down to the same ol' argument of value of the game and if you feel like you get your money's worth out of the purchase. Which is all completely subjective.
Old 08-02-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, 360 games in general, and XBLA games in particular seem to have a pretty short online life-span, for the most part. Of course there are notable exceptions, but I understand what Decker is saying.

I'll probably pass on Castlevania, in part because I don't expect it to have a large long-term community.
Old 08-02-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Yeah, 360 games in general, and XBLA games in particular seem to have a pretty short online life-span, for the most part. Of course there are notable exceptions, but I understand what Decker is saying.
So is the concern that you would own a game that you'd never really get to go back and play because it would rely too heavily on a MP component? (Talking purely generic here and not specific to Castlevania:HD.)
Old 08-02-10, 05:00 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Destructoid

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair Review - 6 out of 10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-ca...r-180442.phtml
Old 08-02-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So is the concern that you would own a game that you'd never really get to go back and play because it would rely too heavily on a MP component? (Talking purely generic here and not specific to Castlevania:HD.)
Absolutely.

See Shadowrun. This is a FPS that I completely think was overlooked... and due to the online focus it is pretty much dead in the water now unless you organize retro nights with friends. Which is what we have to do at 8-Bit Brigade so I can get my fix.
Old 08-02-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess for me if I spend $10-$15 on a game and even get a few weeks play out of it I'm good. Maybe I'm in the minority with that mentality though, as I often don't go back to play my older games.
Old 08-02-10, 05:12 PM

I guess I feel that XBLA games primarily or exclusively designed for the MP experience half a very short lifespan. I love 1943, but I can't play it anymore because nobody's online to play against me. Same goes for Snoopy. Who knows, maybe this game will have a thriving online community, but somehow I sort of doubt it (that's just a hunch on my part).
My advice for those who are interested is to buy it right away and play the hell out of it those first two weekends.
Old 08-02-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I feel that XBLA games primarily or exclusively designed for the MP experience half a very short lifespan. I love 1943, but I can't play it anymore because nobody's online to play against me. Same goes for Snoopy. Who knows, maybe this game will have a thriving online community, but somehow I sort of doubt it (that's just a hunch on my part).
My advice for those who are interested is to buy it right away and play the hell out of it those first two weekends.
So do you feel like you didn't get your value out of BF1943 or that you made a bad investment in it? I understand being bummed that you can't revisit a title because of the lack of online, but does that make it a bad initial purchase?
Old 08-02-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's part of it. I guess maybe the bigger issue is that I like playing co-op games with friends, and I don't think that many people on my friends list will be getting this one.

I don't need to revisit a game months later, but I do need enough people around to get a week or two of fun out of the game.
Old 08-02-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. I feel like the 360 community has had a "game of the week" mentality since launch. If it's not Call of Duty, Halo, or one of the other "chosen few", it tends to get played for a week or two and then forgotten completely.
Old 08-02-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Yup. I feel like the 360 community has had a "game of the week" mentality since launch. If it's not Call of Duty, Halo, or one of the other "chosen few", it tends to get played for a week or two and then forgotten completely.
qfmft.

Sometimes I won't be able to get to the hot new game at launch, yet still want to play online.
Old 08-02-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
qfmft.

Sometimes I won't be able to get to the hot new game at launch, yet still want to play online.
This is exactly why I justified Borderlands and RDR to myself at launch because I knew "by the time I get around to it" would not be good for it. Everyone will have moved on.
Old 08-02-10, 06:02 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Yeah, I made the mistake of waiting to play Splinter Cell: Conviction and trying to find someone to run through the co-op story now is impossible.
Old 08-02-10, 06:39 PM

So do you feel like you didn't get your value out of BF1943 or that you made a bad investment in it? I understand being bummed that you can't revisit a title because of the lack of online, but does that make it a bad initial purchase?
No, that one was great. It also had a pretty good shelf-life. Ticket To Ride and Snoopy lasted like a week online (though both those games are playable in single-player versions). I wonder how people who spent 1200 points on Death Tank felt about the return on their investment.

I think with Castlevania HD though, we're talking about a very different sort of multiplayer experience than 1943 though since the former requires cooperative play and team strategy and the later is just good old fashioned adversarial deathmatches. I'm curious to see how the general public takes to this game.

Anyone here planning on getting the game this week (and by that I mean like paying for it with real virtual currency)?
Old 08-02-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...Snoopy lasted like a week online...
Granted I haven't played in a few weeks, but it was still going strong a little while ago AND even with full lobbies we were getting into games with the DLC maps. I play with some guys from the PseudoRadio boards and you're always welcome. We pretty much dominate when we play.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.