Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by starman9000
Odd question, but does SMB go up to the edges of the screen much?
Wrong board. Super Mario Bros is not on XBLA.
Old 10-20-10, 01:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

6.0 for Costume Quest from Game Informer
Old 10-20-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Hmm, there's a fair amount - but that's something I never really notice. Are you using a 4x3 or 16x9 tv?
It's a 16X9. There is a way to adjust it, but it involves getting into the guts, and I'm too scared to try (It's a rear projection CRT). Honestly, it's only one single level of Splosion man that it's ever been a problem.
Old 10-20-10, 08:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

<object id="vid_4cbf7a7fdad0bd5d89000a79" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/10/21/costume-quest-video-review?objectid=83097"/></object>
Old 10-20-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'll try the demo (again) but I think I had my share of the genre with N+ and Battle Kid.
My feelings exactly. I tried to like it, but couldn't.
Old 10-20-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was all set to take advantage of the release date pricing on Meatboy but didn't really like it a whole lot. It basically took all the platforming elements that piss me off about platformers and just did that.
Old 10-20-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet it is really awesome if you got it for free
Old 10-20-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I hate to say this, but I was really offended by the Video game Talk review of Super Meat Boy that was just posted. The gist seems to be that this game will appeal to the "older gamers" who have "some serious skills with the controller". I get that it's insanely hard. I don't think that should really be its badge of honor. Everyone entitled to his or her own opinion, but to basically pat oneself on the back because they "get it" and deride those who can't hack it seems a little unprofessional for a reviewer. The game is what it is and that seems to be too fucking hard. Don't tell me that it's essentially my fault if I don't like it. The best platformers are inclusive, not exclusive. They are hard but never too hard. That's certainly true of the best Mario games, true of the best Sonic games and it's true of the best platformer on the XBLA - Splosion Man. A game can be challenging and still fair. Making a game for the sole purpose of being insanely hard is just a douchey thing to do. To praise it simply for taking that particular approach seems misguided, at least to me.
Old 10-21-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I hate to say this, but I was really offended by the Video game Talk review of Super Meat Boy that was just posted. The gist seems to be that this game will appeal to the "older gamers" who have "some serious skills with the controller". I get that it's insanely hard. I don't think that should really be its badge of honor. Everyone entitled to his or her own opinion, but to basically pat oneself on the back because they "get it" and deride those who can't hack it seems a little unprofessional for a reviewer. The game is what it is and that seems to be too fucking hard. Don't tell me that it's essentially my fault if I don't like it. The best platformers are inclusive, not exclusive. They are hard but never too hard. That's certainly true of the best Mario games, true of the best Sonic games and it's true of the best platformer on the XBLA - Splosion Man. A game can be challenging and still fair. Making a game for the sole purpose of being insanely hard is just a douchey thing to do. To praise it simply for taking that particular approach seems misguided, at least to me.
I haven't played SMB but I had the same problem with other reviews praising Comic Jumper for being "old school" and forgiving the 'meh' gameplay.

That said, I do see where some people may be offended by a few comments at the end of the review (I would say the reverse is also true, take people who only know platformers and throw them into a FPS and they will be crying for mercy); however if it's a well made game and the reviewer enjoyed the difficulty that doesn't make him wrong.

If you handed me a turn-based RPG, even the best one made, I'd still likely say it bored me to tears.
Old 10-21-10, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
In other words, you don't "get it".

Honestly I just went and read the review and do not see where your reaction is coming from. The game is what it is, but it's not ONLY an insanely hard game. It's funny, cute, retro, includes a lot of neat easter eggs related to other games, etc. The only thing I saw in the review singling out people is a comment about the "younger Halo generation not being into the game". I guess I don't see that as being particularly offensive. I definitely disagree that the game is "only for the most skilled players". I think it is the type of thing you can get better at, with patience, but I guess from your reaction I was expecting statements of "This is the best game ever because it's old school and if you don't like it then you're a fucking moron or a stupid kid!" and really there's nothing of that sort in the review.

Originally Posted by pinata242
I bet it is really awesome if you got it for free
Old 10-21-10, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

OK, I played the trial of SMB and all I can say, is as an "old school" gamer who played his share of NES platformers, the game is a pile of half-baked, garbage that panders to people who think it's "hip" to be nostalgic. The sloppy, floaty controls are where most of the difficulty of the game comes from, and guess what, when an NES game had similar control back in the day, it was considered a negative.

I'll take a well made Mega Man over this overpriced Flash game any day. Between this and Comic Jumper, designers need to quit trying to go "old school" and focus on making a playable game first.
Old 10-21-10, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The sloppy, floaty controls are where most of the difficulty of the game comes from, and guess what, when an NES game had similar control back in the day, it was considered a negative.
It also cost 5-6x the price of Super Meat Boy.
Old 10-21-10, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by superfro
It also cost 5-6x the price of Super Meat Boy.
So it's ok to forgive poor gameplay if the price is cheap enough?
Old 10-21-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
So it's ok to forgive poor gameplay if the price is cheap enough?
I'm not saying that, and I certainly wouldn't make that blanket statement out of context, but I'm saying you can't expect this game to perform on the same level as a Mega Man game if only based on the amount of resources/funding available to the makers of the game. For what it is, and the price point it's offered at, I think it's more than an adequate entertainment experience. (But not one everyone, maybe even the majority of gamers, would necessarily want to experience.)
Old 10-21-10, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like this quote in the review:

Super Meat Boy will probably be most enjoyed by patient, skilled gamers that can handle dying a couple thousand times before finishing the final level.
Translation: Super Meat Boy will be enjoyed by people who like repeated nut shots to the groin. The pain of dying a thousand times is something that only people who enjoy sato-masochism as a lifestyle would appreciate.

In other words, there is no way I am walking ten feet within this game. Sorry, I've played games for 30 years, I appreciate challenges but not ones where it is hard for the sake of being hard.
Old 10-21-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kedrix
In other words, there is no way I am walking ten feet within this game. Sorry, I've played games for 30 years, I appreciate challenges but not ones where it is hard for the sake of being hard.
This x10.

Especially for Mega Man 9.

Bastard game.
Old 10-21-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Super Meat Boy and I don't really see it as being too hard, especially not from anything in the demo. Also, it's definitely not hard because it has "shitty controls." The character IS floaty, but the levels are designed around that and you have almost masterful, pinpoint accuracy with your character despite this, just like in N+.

Of course, when faced with the dilemma of admitting that they suck at video games (or more accurately, they have just been trained down by lackluster mainstream video games that aim to "tell a story" over offering engaging gameplay), most gamers will just blame the controls or attack the game for "being hard for hard's sake."

It's perfectly fine if you don't like the game because it offers a challenge. That's fine. But it's also perfectly fine for that game to exist and offer that challenge to gamers that are sick of games that are becoming dangerously close to featuring "win button" gameplay.

I'm still not sure I'm going to drop the $10 on it, because it's just SO damn similar to N+ and I've already played and loved that. But seeing gamers who probably find Lego Star Wars to have engaging gameplay whining about it is definitely pushing me more towards buying it.
Old 10-21-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I like this quote in the review:

Translation: Super Meat Boy will be enjoyed by people who like repeated nut shots to the groin. The pain of dying a thousand times is something that only people who enjoy sato-masochism as a lifestyle would appreciate.

People (not me, but opeople) don't like dying a thousand times. They like completing a level after dying a thousand times.
Old 10-21-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, it looks like the weekly update for Game Room was delayed (?).

No Jackal yesterday.
Old 10-21-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush
People (not me, but opeople) don't like dying a thousand times. They like completing a level after dying a thousand times.
It's temproary elation. Then you realize (or at least I do) that you just spent hours trying to beat one level. Maybe if it is the very last level, it's okay but if you only get through it to get to another bastard level, I might as well start hitting my head in with a ballpean hammer and see if Skittles come out.

No Jackal yesterday.
Yeah I saw that , no big pack of Konami games either. I hope they don't delay it until after September or else I have no chance of the 800 points in the sky.
Old 10-21-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro
Hey, I just noticed the line drawn in the sand between the haves and the have-nots!

Translation: Super Meat Boy will be enjoyed by people who like repeated nut shots to the groin.
So, it should have been on the PS3?
Old 10-21-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I saw that , no big pack of Konami games either. I hope they don't delay it until after September or else I have no chance of the 800 points in the sky.
Here are a couple of replies from Game Room's Facebook page.

So, just for fun, I called Xbox support to ask what is happening with Game Room (I know, I know - hold all comments). I first asked if he was familiar with Game Room and he was - believeable based on how he was talking. He said there was a ...delay in posting new content but it will go up "soon". He said nothing was 'going on with Game Room' and when I said the developer is no longer in business, he said that won't have an effect. He then even mentioned some promotion I was not aware of. Something about spending a certain amount of tokens and getting points in return. Is this a new or old promotion?

Anyway, I'm sure I am not quoting this support rep exactly as he said it but I will remain hopeful.
I got the same from MS..I found one of the three people who seem to "know something" about gameroom, was told content was delayed due to new website AND new dashboard,,,new developer is "already onboard" the servers will stay up during transition...MS IS still supporting game room..no actual change...better support than what Krome gave us..
Old 10-21-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No Jackal yesterday.
Nope, nothing. No news on it or on the bundles. I asked @XboxSupport yesterday afternoon and they, of course, had "No news".

These are from the comments on the most recent Facebook page posting.

Originally Posted by Steve Bello
So, just for fun, I called Xbox support to ask what is happening with Game Room (I know, I know - hold all comments). I first asked if he was familiar with Game Room and he was - believeable based on how he was talking. He said there was a ...delay in posting new content but it will go up "soon". He said nothing was 'going on with Game Room' and when I said the developer is no longer in business, he said that won't have an effect. He then even mentioned some promotion I was not aware of. Something about spending a certain amount of tokens and getting points in return. Is this a new or old promotion?

Anyway, I'm sure I am not quoting this support rep exactly as he said it but I will remain hopeful.
Originally Posted by Robert Racek
I got the same from MS..I found one of the three people who seem to "know something" about gameroom, was told content was delayed due to new website AND new dashboard,,,new developer is "already onboard" the servers will stay up during transition...MS IS still supporting game room..no actual change...better support than what Krome gave us..
Take those for what they're worth (if anything). But at face value is sounds like Microsoft is still trying to work with this and may already have a new developer on it. Of course, all of that may be complete bullshit, but it's something to read at least.
Old 10-21-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-21-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.