Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Old 01-24-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

WHile I understand what Decker is saying, just like Braid and Limbo - Bastion is great because of it's simplicity/style. Don't let that sway you. Combat is easy, progression is constant, but the way it envelopes you while playing is what makes it great.

Beat that Anklegator, then keep playing. It's a good game experience.
Old 01-24-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Love Bastion
Old 01-24-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Horrible idea, especially this late into the life cycle of the 360. Do that with a new system, don't introduce it when we are the waning years of something.
But are we? Isn't the cementing of the box into an all out media center only making it harder to push a new device anytime soon?
Old 01-24-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by superfro View Post
But are we? Isn't the cementing of the box into an all out media center only making it harder to push a new device anytime soon?
Yeah, but Microsoft will push a new device down our throat in due time. I 100% agree that with the way they have worked up the 360, it is going to be really hard for any new machine to gain a foothold. I have zero plans currently myself to move to a new system unless it were to be 100% backwards compatibilty (which will probably be impossible) with retail and dlc. As long as I continue to have a working 360, it will part of my entertainment center until Microsoft shuts off Live and possibly even after that. But such ideas have never stopped a game company from going ahead with a new system.
Old 01-24-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
WHile I understand what Decker is saying, just like Braid and Limbo - Bastion is great because of it's simplicity/style. Don't let that sway you. Combat is easy, progression is constant, but the way it envelopes you while playing is what makes it great.
Yep. The simplicity was nice for me (though the leveling and special moves didn't seem really balanced or necessary, I think I used the Squirt Lure the entire game except when I picked something up during the level).
Old 01-24-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Yeah, but Microsoft will push a new device down our throat in due time. I 100% agree that with the way they have worked up the 360, it is going to be really hard for any new machine to gain a foothold. I have zero plans currently myself to move to a new system unless it were to be 100% backwards compatibilty (which will probably be impossible) with retail and dlc. As long as I continue to have a working 360, it will part of my entertainment center until Microsoft shuts off Live and possibly even after that. But such ideas have never stopped a game company from going ahead with a new system.
The words and wisdom of many a gamer... that still line up on launch day.
Old 01-24-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I just don't get why anyone even cares about the change from a points system to $ amounts. It's literally the same thing.
Old 01-24-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I just don't get why anyone even cares about the change from a points system to $ amounts. It's literally the same thing.
As mentioned previously, points get discounted. $ amounts don't.
Old 01-24-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only if you pay full retail price for points.

The point of the points system has always been to have a consistent "price" across all territories. The price per point in each territory is what changed, but content was always the same amount of points around the world.
Old 01-24-12, 10:53 AM
gamer for life

well right now I wait till I can get 4000 points for 39 bucks...and load up on them...I think some, myself included, think that these days are gone...a 20 dollar card will probably always be 20 bucks...you hardly see actual dollar value cards ever go on sale like that...
Old 01-24-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
As mentioned previously, points get discounted. $ amounts don't.
This isn't necessarily true. If they continue selling cards at retail like iTunes, they can go on sale just the same as a points card can.

The questions are: 1) Will they be available? and B) Will they ever have a discount?
Old 01-24-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just because you can get really good deals on points cards, but you don't tend to see similar sorts of dollar value cards go on sale at stores. I'm guessing the straight up deals on cards will be harder to come by, but there will be more promotions that throw $5-$20 cards into a purchase.
Old 01-24-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice, need to pick up Bastion after reading the great reviews. Anyone have the LA Noire DLC? Worth it?
Old 01-24-12, 10:58 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by DVDChris View Post
Anyone have the LA Noire DLC? Worth it?
for that price yes...if you liked the main game
Old 01-24-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
well right now I wait till I can get 4000 points for 39 bucks...and load up on them...I think some, myself included, think that these days are gone...a 20 dollar card will probably always be 20 bucks...you hardly see actual dollar value cards ever go on sale like that...
Oh ok...so it's based on pure speculation.

I don't think anyone can say this will no longer be the case. I guess I look at it the same way I do Xbox Live Gold cards. Those have a $$ value associated with them and they're on sale all the time still. I don't see any sense in basing it on how other companies handle their cards.
Old 01-24-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right that we don't actually know, but as an avid consumer of both XBLA and PSN, I can assure you that point cards are discounted WAY more often (and deeper) than PSN dollar cards. I recently jumped at the chance to get a $20 PSN card for $19. I wouldn't have even glanced at a 1600 point card for that price.
Old 01-24-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I look at it the same way I do Xbox Live Gold cards. Those have a $$ value associated with them and they're on sale all the time still.
Their $$ value is the same as a point cards $$ value, you don't buy a $50 Live Gold card, you buy a 3 month or 12 month card.
Old 01-24-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You're right that we don't actually know, but as an avid consumer of both XBLA and PSN, I can assure you that point cards are discounted WAY more often (and deeper) than PSN dollar cards. I recently jumped at the chance to get a $20 PSN card for $19. I wouldn't have even glanced at a 1600 point card for that price.
But why do you assume that is based on the difference in points/$ value and not that it's two completely different companies?

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Their $$ value is the same as a point cards $$ value, you don't buy a $50 Live Gold card, you buy a 3 month or 12 month card.
I had forgotten that they actually put the $ amount on the points cards as well. Regardless though, I don't see the difference.

Also, points deals have been on the decline for quite some time now anyway right? Really the only place I ever see any deals anymore is when Buy.com or whoever blows out a bunch via Ebay. (And I'm sure these will still continue regardless.) Long gone are the $20 cards for $15 at Target. That shit was free money.

Last edited by superfro; 01-24-12 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-24-12, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
The words and wisdom of many a gamer... that still line up on launch day.
Ha, you don't know me very well . It took me two years when Xbox 360 was released for me to move most of my gaming from my PS2 to my Xbox 360. And back then, I didn't have much of a backlog. Now I have a huge backlog, I'm older, more stubborn, etc. I'm perfectly content with playing 360 games for the next 3-5 years. I know better than to say I never will, but I'm comfortable currently.
Old 01-24-12, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I agree with Decker. If it has a dollar value associated with it rather than points or some other virtual currency, it sticks to that dollar amount far more readily. Sure there are occasional sales, but at that point they are almost treated like gift cards. And since Xbox or PSN is always popular, a deal won't even be found on Ebay very often either. If Microsoft wants to do this, that's fine...I'll still buy points, but look forward to the PSN model for any discounts: slim and none.
Old 01-24-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have we mentioned yet that points get discounted or go on sale, while $ amounts typically don't?
Old 01-24-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We should just move on. There's nothing any of us can do except deal with it. And stockpile points if they go on sale again this year.
Old 01-24-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
Have we mentioned yet that points get discounted or go on sale, while $ amounts typically don't?
Yes. Based on actions of a bunch of other companies. But apparently that doesn't matter.

I think everyone is just wanting to bitch about something that is pretty much meaningless. But I guess time will tell.
Old 01-24-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I bitched about having points instead of cash in the first place, so it's my right to bitch about them rectifying that 'problem'!
Old 01-24-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Hey, I bitched about having points instead of cash in the first place, so it's my right to bitch about them rectifying that 'problem'!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.