Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I know one person who will be happy about this news.
Are you kidding me? The majority of gamers will be happy with this news!
Old 08-06-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

"We made a decision recently because we were focusing on how we can deliver the best possible experience to the players.
i.e. It will launch the same day as the PS3 version of the game.
Old 08-06-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
So they intentionally gimp the online functionality for the first month (i.e. the time that most interested parties might actually want to play it) and at the same time plan five separate DLC packs. A fairly ominous start for a new game.
My honest belief is that they weren't going to be ready but MS pushed the issue for the promotion. Since the online won't be ready until, coincidentally, the PS3 and PC versions are released.
Old 08-06-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts

The more I think about this delay, the more annoyed I am about it. This is a game that relies on exploration and puzzle solving. It's designed as a two-person experience. How realistic is it to expect people to buy this August 18 and then wait another six weeks to play it? What's going to happen is that everyone who got it will have finished it by then. As much as I loved Trine, I don't think I would want to restart it and play it again if online co-op were added at this late date.
I would much rather have waited until the game was ready rather than play a gimped version that will kill any online community it might have had. I still suspect somebody got stuck with a sneaky contract clause that kept the XBLA version from going online before the Steam or PSN version (kind of like the end-around solution Netflix came up with for the PS3 and Wii). That seems much more likely than a mysterious problem with the online implementation that strangely enough will take exactly the same number of days as the 360 version's exclusivity window runs to fix.
Old 08-07-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
My honest belief is that they weren't going to be ready but MS pushed the issue for the promotion. Since the online won't be ready until, coincidentally, the PS3 and PC versions are released.
I played both the PS3 and 360 versions of the demo at E3 co-op, and they seemed to work fine.

It still looks like it will be my only SoA purchase, as co-op wasn't a selling point to me anyway. I'm not stoked about the '5' DLC packs though.
Old 08-08-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Puzzle Quest 2 is fucking long.

That is all.
Old 08-09-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That is all.
Good! , the first one was kinda short to be honest, so I'm glad that the second one has much more length.
Old 08-09-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but on the downside it really makes you take a step back and not want to play through with the other classes.
Old 08-09-10, 01:11 PM

Wow, really, really positive 4 1/2 star review of Monday Night Combat at Joystiq. Instead of the total TF2 rip-off it appears to be, I guess it's actually more of a TF2-meets-tower defense game. I had zero interest in this one, but maybe I'll check out the demo with a more open mind now.
Old 08-09-10, 01:14 PM

Yeah, but on the downside it really makes you take a step back and not want to play through with the other classes.
Euwww...good point. Are there any achievements that are related to playing it with all of the classes?
Old 08-09-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Euwww...good point. Are there any achievements that are related to playing it with all of the classes?
Nah, but there is one bad ass side quest I keep hearing about tied to a secret 40g achievement. I'm using a sorcerer but everyone says the assassin or barbarian are what they used.

I think I have a pretty good thing going with my chick, though, so we'll see.
Old 08-09-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a Templar and have been really impressed with the game so far. Lots of little mini-games and it does seem really long.

That review of Monday Night Combat looks really good. The demo may sell me.
Old 08-09-10, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
That review of Monday Night Combat looks really good. The demo may sell me.
This one from GamesRadar.com sounds good as well. I might have to buy a big economy sized box of Alpha-Bits in order to eat my words about this one.
Old 08-10-10, 02:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Monday Night Combat gets an 8.0 from IGN
Old 08-10-10, 09:15 AM

I listened to the Joystiq 360 podcast last night. While most of it was excruciating, they talked at length about MNC and it sounds pretty great. Hope the demo has MP.
Old 08-10-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Hope the demo has MP.
I'd question the point of the demo without it, but then I look at Castlevania.
Old 08-10-10, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by superfro
I'd question the point of the demo without it, but then I look at Castlevania.
Well, this game's tower-defense-meets-Horde mode (Blitz Mode) has local two-player split-screen co-op mode. Just in case, you know, anyone is interested in that sort of thing.
Old 08-10-10, 09:54 AM

That is all.
Steam is charging $19.99 for this game when the PC version comes out Thursday. Seems to be the identical game.
Screw you PC games! Take your free L4D DLC packs and shove them up your ass!
Old 08-10-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Want!

http://www.ugo.com/games/costume-que...e-fine-preview
Old 08-10-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks great from here.
Old 08-10-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Want! +1
Old 08-10-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, but there is one bad ass side quest I keep hearing about tied to a secret 40g achievement. I'm using a sorcerer but everyone says the assassin or barbarian are what they used.

I think I have a pretty good thing going with my chick, though, so we'll see.
So, I gave my first stab at this tonight and I was thiiiiiiiis --><-- close to doing it on my first try (level 43 Sorcerer). The side quest is about
Spoiler:
a GIANT green dragon down on the 4th level of the tower/dungeon? (I'm not really sure if I'm going up or down, it's weird) and at my level it had
Spoiler:
hit points compared to my 371 and would hit for
Spoiler:
25, 50, or 60
damage (most of which is blocked and halved), depending on what it used and has a poison breath that hits you for 3 damage per turn
Spoiler:
for 100 turns.

Anyway, after about a 30-minute battle, he dropped me to -1 when he was only at 64.

Trick is, obviously, to keep each turn as long as possible with 4 or 5-way matches. The spell Luck seems essential (extra turn for each yellow match, even just a 3-way) as well as something that lets you change a gem or more at once. I guess the barbarian has Enrage (costs red, gives red) and the assassin has Swift Strike (costs purple, gives purple) to keep it going as long as possible.

With Luck, I have Wild Mana and Finger of Death to make 4-way matches of gems or skulls, respectively. Then when I'm out of moves I use Fireball or my Staff to deal direct damage and just hope I get away with a minor scrape until my next turn.

At level 50 I get a pretty bad ass spell that may turn the tables.

It's fun!
Old 08-10-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that wasn't so hard. 2nd try and it only took 76 turns but I usurped A LOT of that time I think I was down to around 60 or 70 hp. Went up to level 45 from it
Old 08-11-10, 06:52 AM

Well, that wasn't so hard. 2nd try and it only took 76 turns but I usurped A LOT of that time I think I was down to around 60 or 70 hp. Went up to level 45 from it
You describing the game makes me only want it more I don't know why I can't bring myself to buy it though. Oyie!
Old 08-11-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, I gave my first stab at this tonight and I was thiiiiiiiis --><-- close to doing it on my first try (level 43 Sorcerer). The side quest is about
Spoiler:
a GIANT green dragon down on the 4th level of the tower/dungeon? (I'm not really sure if I'm going up or down, it's weird) and at my level it had
Spoiler:
hit points compared to my 371 and would hit for
Spoiler:
25, 50, or 60
damage (most of which is blocked and halved), depending on what it used and has a poison breath that hits you for 3 damage per turn
Spoiler:
for 100 turns.

Anyway, after about a 30-minute battle, he dropped me to -1 when he was only at 64.

Trick is, obviously, to keep each turn as long as possible with 4 or 5-way matches. The spell Luck seems essential (extra turn for each yellow match, even just a 3-way) as well as something that lets you change a gem or more at once. I guess the barbarian has Enrage (costs red, gives red) and the assassin has Swift Strike (costs purple, gives purple) to keep it going as long as possible.

With Luck, I have Wild Mana and Finger of Death to make 4-way matches of gems or skulls, respectively. Then when I'm out of moves I use Fireball or my Staff to deal direct damage and just hope I get away with a minor scrape until my next turn.

At level 50 I get a pretty bad ass spell that may turn the tables.

It's fun!
Wow, this looks like one of my posts in the old Shiren thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.