Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I'm interested in Lara Croft It looked interesting when I went to E3.
Old 08-06-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I wouldn't write off the Tomb Raider game so quickly. I've read a lot of good things about it, and it's not just another Tomb Raider game - it's apparently more of a co-op Diablo-style game.
Well that does sound a lot more interesting, to be honest.
Old 08-06-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely curious to see how the demo pans out. I think it sounds like a clever way to adapt an existing IP into an XBLA title.
Old 08-06-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I don't really mind a variety, but I'm guessing that these "retail lite" titles aren't going to hold up too long. I think MS figured they'd ride Battlefield's surprise success on XBLA but I'm willing to put down that that's more of a one-time thing and people shopping XBLA aren't going to want lesser versions of stuff they can buy at Wal-Mart again very soon. Or maybe not.
I totally agree with you on this. I mentioned before I have absolutely no idea what the draw will be for MNC, as it just looks like an inferior TF2 rip-off. That's why the sales numbers matter -- if very few people buy these sorts of XBLA games, then those who actually buy them have a very small pool of players to play against. Who cares if you're the only player in the US playing Limbo or DeathSpank? If, however,you're trying to put together a deathmatch of Blacklight Tango Down and you see that on 360voice that only 663 people show as purchasing that game on the first day (and you can see that far fewer play now), you can pretty much expect a miserable online community, and that in turn makes an online-only game such as that NOT worth buying.

Last edited by Decker; 08-06-10 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm definitely curious to see how the demo pans out. I think it sounds like a clever way to adapt an existing IP into an XBLA title.
Indeed, but I didn't even know it wasn't just Tomb Raider Lite until you posted something, I can't be the only one.
Old 08-06-10, 11:12 AM

I wouldn't write off the Tomb Raider game so quickly. I've read a lot of good things about it, and it's not just another Tomb Raider game - it's apparently more of a co-op Diablo-style game.
I don't think it's Diablo-like at all. My understanding is that it would be more like Trine, but with two character and online co-op play (which I'm still stunned Trine didn't have). I loved Trine and have very high hopes for this title. If others here are getting it (and if they have a high tolerance for unskilled gamers like myself), I'll almost certainly get it and would love to play co-op with you sometime late night PT.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZB1bsP0HP3k&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZB1bsP0HP3k&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-06-10, 11:20 AM

Plants Vs. Zombies Looks Great On Xbox Live Arcade's Lawn

<param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/1b79fe93" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/1b79fe93" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>
Old 08-06-10, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I'll be getting that.
Old 08-06-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Super excited for Plants vs. Zombies to come out.
Old 08-06-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, literally just had this eMail exchange, read down to up, I guess.

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Robbie wrote:
> LAME!
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Leroy
> Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 11:06 AM
> To: Robbie
> Subject: Re: The Metal Slime Flees
>
> No local multi-player. >:(
>
> -L
>
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Robbie wrote:
>> Could be something worth looking into tomorrow for the party.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Leroy
>> Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 11:02 AM
>> To: Robbie
>> Subject: Re: The Metal Slime Flees
>>
>> So.. the Castlevania on XBLA today is supposed to be a Castlevania
>> version of Four Swords, haven't tried the demo yet, but sounds pretty
>> intriguing.
>>
>> -L
Old 08-06-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, I'll be getting that.
Ditto!
Old 08-06-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heh, literally just had this eMail exchange, read down to up, I guess.
Did you ever take a look at the game? I still want to know how the local play would work per our previous conversation.
Old 08-06-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
Did you ever take a look at the game? I still want to know how the local play would work per our previous conversation.
Too busy.
Old 08-06-10, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I played Plants vs. Zombies on Steam a while back. Will this version

Spoiler:
still have the Michael Jackson zombie?
Old 08-06-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Seriously, who is looking at XBLA to get Tomb Raider or Team Fortress Lite?
Indeed, but I didn't even know it wasn't just Tomb Raider Lite until you posted something, I can't be the only one.
Pixy dismiss a game outright because of the name and/or genre? No way!
Old 08-06-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
Not yet, the few hours I have after work I've been working on Dragon Quest IX and Persona 3 Portable.
Old 08-06-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imprint

Spoiler:
No I think they might be removing that from the PC version too. At least, I saw headlines earlier this week or last that said as much.
Old 08-06-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pixy dismiss a game outright because of the name and/or genre? No way!
Indeed. I am the only one that does that, alas.
Old 08-06-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Imprint

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by pinata242
No I think they might be removing that from the PC version too. At least, I saw headlines earlier this week or last that said as much.
Yup, believed it was pulled from the Steam version and the iphone version in the last week or two. Replaced with:

Spoiler:
Old 08-06-10, 04:42 PM

I don't think it's Diablo-like at all. My understanding is that it would be more like Trine, but with two character and online co-op play (which I'm still stunned Trine didn't have).
Meet Dr. Decker, the walking jinx machine.

Originally Posted by Joystiq
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will not have online co-op until Sept. 28

by Ludwig Kietzmann on Aug 6th 2010 4:02PM

We hope you've got space for Lara Croft and one guardian of light on your couch, because that's where the heroic pair will find themselves on August 18th. Developer Crystal Dynamics has confirmed that when Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light launches on Xbox Live Arcade, concluding Microsoft's Summer of Arcade promotion, it will only support offline co-op.

Online co-op, as well as Xbox Live standards like full leaderboard support and voice chat functionality, will be introduced via a free update on September 28. On the same day, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will arrive on PlayStation Network and Steam.

The baffling omission of the online component appears to have been made at the last minute, with Crystal Dynamics global brand director Karl Stewart telling Joystiq, "We made a decision recently because we were focusing on how we can deliver the best possible experience to the players. If we had launched with online co-op, we wouldn't feel comfortable that it was the best possible experience for the player." Though online co-op had been promoted and promised since the game's announcement, Stewart claims that "nothing underhanded" influenced the decision. "This is our first digital title and we want to make sure we deliver the best possible experience to players."

It's a tough decision: delay the game on Xbox Live Arcade and miss out on Summer of Arcade promotion, or get an imperfect version in front of players first. Either way, it's a disappointing scenario for all parties involved, including Microsoft. You can play Lara Croft on Xbox Live Arcade first -- but not on Xbox Live at first.
Old 08-06-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's also already DLC news:

Also confirmed will be post-release downloadable content for the game, or what Crystal Dynamics is calling "Downloadable Lara Croft" (or DLC… get it?). This will consist of five downloadable packs coming out from October through December. The first three expansions will feature new puzzles and new areas to explore. The final two packs will consist of new playable characters, including "well-known videogame characters."
Old 08-06-10, 05:26 PM

So they intentionally gimp the online functionality for the first month (i.e. the time that most interested parties might actually want to play it) and at the same time plan five separate DLC packs. A fairly ominous start for a new game.
Old 08-06-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meet Dr. Decker, the walking jinx machine.
I know one person who will be happy about this news.
Old 08-06-10, 05:36 PM

I know one person who will be happy about this news.

Well, there's your silver-lining, I guess. Though even he's got to be a little disappointed because he'll have to wait a month to own us all on the leader boards.
Old 08-06-10, 05:50 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fuck them....I will not be picking LC up until I can play with friends...because you never know if that promised "update" will get delayed again and again, or if the coop stuff is broken.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.