Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I went to the hub last night, and there was an ad for Fruit Ninja Kinect. I selected it and then there was a "Play Now" option.
Old 08-15-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Missile shaft? I don't think I remember that.
Really? It's like a gate you have to fire a missle through that leads to a twisty cave that you have to steer your missle through and eventually hit a target. If you hit the walls five times, your missle explodes. No way around it. No leveling up. I was stuck there for a week now (not every day, but it was a seriously huge amounts of attempts before thank God I finally made it through). After that the level boss was a piece of cake, but it still took me several tries to get it right. I then quit for the night.

I'm liking all the XBLA SotA games, but From Dust can be frustrating. It's much better than the demo lets on, though.
Old 08-15-11, 03:19 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Toy Soldiers: Cold War could possibly be the best of the five SoA releases. It's really good. Highly recommended.

Fruit Ninja was also really impressive last week. I couldn't stop playing it over the weekend. Put about 5 hours into it and my arms hurt like Hell. I'm interested in seeing how my high scores will hold up.
Old 08-15-11, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by wlj
What are some good titles for 400 pts?
Bejeweled Blitz LIVE just dropped to 400 points. Not as good a deal as when it was on sale for 160, but still not too bad.
Old 08-15-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Really? It's like a gate you have to fire a missle through that leads to a twisty cave that you have to steer your missle through and eventually hit a target.
Oh, that part. Yes. There are actually a couple of those throughout the game. I got the hang of it after a few tries.

I finished ITSP over the weekend. Good stuff! I still need to finish up the map exploration and item collection, though.
Old 08-15-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished ITSP over the weekend. Good stuff! I still need to finish up the map exploration and item collection, though.
I finsihed the game as well and had a good time with it but was a little bit upset over
Spoiler:
the lack of any real story. The few "memories/flashbacks you come across tell you very little but it's just a glorified shooter so I'll deal.
I bought it mainly because it seemed like a more advanced Pixel Junk Shooter and it gave me more of what made that game so good.
Old 08-20-11, 10:32 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gatling Gears is on sale for 400pts.
Old 08-21-11, 12:22 PM

Tried From Dust again. Drowned my poor village three more times. Saw the same boring, worthless, silent cut-scene three more times. I'm done with that game. I think it's probably better with a mouse anyway. When it's 75% off on a Steam game I might pick it up, but for now I consider it a very pretty missed opportunity.
Okay, so I lied. After relenting and getting on board the SotA train, I found that once I got the hang of it, I enjoyed From Dust a lot. I completed the story with 100% vegetation last night. Though I must admit I watched the Inside Xbox IGN_Strategize feature on the final (real) level. That one (Movements) was really, really difficult. I needed the Chobot to give me a little direction there to keep my villages from getting washed away. After I got through that, I figured I'd finish everything else, save challenges and call it a night.
I like that the game lets you go back to the end of levels when you need to get your 100% vegetation. Thought that would be quick to knock out, and it mostly was, but it took me FOREVER to figure out the desert level (Wildfires). I kept poring earth over the trees and my meter wouldn't budge. Finally I figured out what I was doing wrong -- I needed to get the earth wet with some heated Water trees in the desert parts of the map -- then it was a breeze (and, unfortunately 1:30 AM as well).

Did others note some of the worst screen tearing this generation in that game? I had to be really careful turning my map slowly or it would be pretty unwatchable.
Old 08-21-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm enjoying Toy Soldiers Cold War. It really doesn't feel that different from the first TS despite the change in eras. Mini games aren't really anything to write home about. But overall its still a fun game.
Old 08-22-11, 11:24 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok

I just purchased that this morning.
Old 08-23-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<colgroup><col style="width: 207pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 10093" width="276"><col style="width: 107pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5193" width="142"><col style="width: 107pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5229" width="143"></colgroup>
Xbox LIVE Arcade Release DatePrice Microsoft Points
Hole in The Wall24-Aug800
Street Fighter III 3<sup>rd</sup> Strike24-Aug1200
Crazy Machines Elements24-Aug800
Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection31-Aug800
The Baconing 31-Aug1200
Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon31-Aug800

Game Add-onsRelease DatePrice Microsoft Points
Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection23-Aug1200
Dragon Age II Item Pack 223-Aug400

Sales  & SpecialsDiscount DatePrice
Activision Publisher Game Content Sale– Games on demand, Add-ons, and more from the “Call of Duty” franchiseAugust 30 – Sept 5Up to 50% off

Deal of the WeekDiscount DatesPrice Microsoft Points
If You Missed It…  
Bulletstorm Gun Sonata DLC Pack August 23 – August 29400 (50% off)
Bulletstorm Blood Symphony DLC PackAugust 23 – August 29400 (50% off)
Red Faction:  BattlegroundsAugust 23 – August 29400 (50% off)
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Conviction:  Deniable Ops Insurgency PackAugust 23 – August 29400 (50% off)
HydrophobiaAugust 23 – August 29400 (50% off)

Manic Machines  
Gatling Gears August 30 – Sept 5400 (50% off)
Metal Arms:  Glitch In The SystemAugust 30 – Sept 5800 (33% off)
BioShock 2:  Minerva’s DenAugust 30 – Sept 5400 (50% off)
Borderlands Claptrap New RevolutionsAugust 30 – Sept 5400 (50% off)

Games on DemandRelease Date
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 201123-Aug
MySims SkyHeroes 23-Aug
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires23-Aug
de Blob 2 23-Aug
Wheelman30-Aug
Sniper: Ghost Warrior30-Aug

Games on Demand Price Reduction Date
Gears of WarAugust 23 – August 30 
Gears of War 2August 23 – August 30 

Deus Ex: Human Revolution23-Aug
Dead Island25-Aug
Robo Cop 25-Aug
Ugly Americans25-Aug
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 2-Sep
Old 08-23-11, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone played Hydrophobia? It's been so long since an XBLA game was on sale that I didn't own that I'm tempted to pick it up just for that reason.
Old 08-23-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey31
Anyone played Hydrophobia? It's been so long since an XBLA game was on sale that I didn't own that I'm tempted to pick it up just for that reason.
It was panned on release and apparently the developers went back and fixed some glitches, retooled the difficulty and also overhauled the camera.

Supposedly the revamp was met with greater acclaim but the reputation was still pretty sullied from the first release which was arguably rushed for inclusion in Summer of Arcade.
Old 08-23-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
But the chart above says August 30 - Sept 5.
Old 08-24-11, 11:00 AM

So I checked out Hole In The Wall Kinect this morning. My kids were SO looking forward to it. I'm not sure yet. The demo only has you play as a 2-player team. So there was that whole struggle to get everyone signed in correctly. Then my daughter and I tried it.
I don't know. I think the problem is that she's like 18 " shorter than me and the Kinect can't really rectify that in this game. I was forcing me to hold poses that were at least a head too short for me, but just right for her. It might work better with two people about the same height. Will try the demo later today again and see (assuming of course that my daughter doesn't accidentally buy the full game like she almost did this morning).
Old 08-24-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I'm enjoying Toy Soldiers Cold War. It really doesn't feel that different from the first TS despite the change in eras. Mini games aren't really anything to write home about. But overall its still a fun game.
I finally got to sit down with Cold War last night and feel it's actually quite a bit different. They've made it much more arcade-y feeling with the use of the individual weapons and totally ramped up the need/effect of getting hands on with the different stations. Loving it thus far.
Old 08-24-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
I finally got to sit down with Cold War last night and feel it's actually quite a bit different. They've made it much more arcade-y feeling with the use of the individual weapons and totally ramped up the need/effect of getting hands on with the different stations. Loving it thus far.
Oh Shit! Fro is back.
Old 08-24-11, 03:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Isn't this like the third time they've tried to release "Crazy Machines Elements" (whatever that is)?
Old 08-24-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Isn't this like the third time they've tried to release "Crazy Machines Elements" (whatever that is)?
I've heard nothing about this game. Does anyone know what it's like?
Old 08-24-11, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
I've heard nothing about this game. Does anyone know what it's like?
Old 08-24-11, 05:46 PM

I tried the demo. It's more like this:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J_0i5WqiIcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-27-11, 10:41 AM

Castle Crashers big title update

As we approach the third birthday of one of XBLA’s biggest hits, The Behemoth celebrates with a brand new Castle Crashers title update full of new content and fixed glitches for the fans to enjoy. Here’s the complete list of features, directly from The Behemoth:

Castle Crashers XBLA Title Update 2 Changes

•Download the Pink Knight (complete with new weapons!) in the Xbox LIVE Marketplace, FOR FREE!!!!!!! ($1.00 donated to Keep A Breast Foundation with each of the first 50,000 downloads)

•Download the Blacksmith Pack for 160 Microsoft Points. Once shrouded in mystery, the legend of the Blacksmith becomes a reality. Wielding miniature antlered frogs, burning hammers of justice and springboard contraptions, this warrior is much like William Wallace (ala Braveheart), but purple and definitely not Mel Gibson.
•Added a Team vs Team feature to Player Match Arena (as opposed to the current free-for-all).
•Earn two new Avatar Awards—Cardinal Animal Orb and Knight Helmet!
•Ability to check Player’s Gamer Cards in Xbox LIVE matches.
•Main menu News Ticker for all of your latest Castle Crashers and Behemoth Updates!
Notable Bug Fixes:

•Level 256 cheat resolved (more info available on request).
•Data copy glitch (more info available on request).
•Sandworm experience glitch (more info available on request).
•Wedding Crashers progression save now fixed when user leaves game play in flowery fields.
•Smoothed Alien Hominid’s Splash Magic when traveling over water.
•Slowed down Iceskimo’s power drainage from magic.
•More effects added to elemental attacks for Alien Hominid, Demon and Iceskimo!
•If your character dies, your Animal Orbs can no longer fight without you.
Adding free fresh content to a three year old game is not done often, but this comes as a nice surprise to fans and will give more incentive for people who haven’t bought the game already. A new multiplayer mode, avatar awards, and the legendary Pink Knight are all proof of how much The Behemoth loves us.

Source - The Behemoth Development Blog

Last edited by Decker; 08-27-11 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-29-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished Bastion yesterday. The game gets better and better as it goes on. Best soundtrack of the year so far, too.
Old 08-29-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Castle Crashers big title update

As we approach the third birthday of one of XBLA’s biggest hits, The Behemoth celebrates with a brand new Castle Crashers title update full of new content and fixed glitches for the fans to enjoy. Here’s the complete list of features, directly from The Behemoth:

Castle Crashers XBLA Title Update 2 Changes

•Download the Pink Knight (complete with new weapons!) in the Xbox LIVE Marketplace, FOR FREE!!!!!!! ($1.00 donated to Keep A Breast Foundation with each of the first 50,000 downloads)

•Download the Blacksmith Pack for 160 Microsoft Points. Once shrouded in mystery, the legend of the Blacksmith becomes a reality. Wielding miniature antlered frogs, burning hammers of justice and springboard contraptions, this warrior is much like William Wallace (ala Braveheart), but purple and definitely not Mel Gibson.
•Added a Team vs Team feature to Player Match Arena (as opposed to the current free-for-all).
•Earn two new Avatar Awards—Cardinal Animal Orb and Knight Helmet!
•Ability to check Player’s Gamer Cards in Xbox LIVE matches.
•Main menu News Ticker for all of your latest Castle Crashers and Behemoth Updates!
Notable Bug Fixes:

•Level 256 cheat resolved (more info available on request).
•Data copy glitch (more info available on request).
•Sandworm experience glitch (more info available on request).
•Wedding Crashers progression save now fixed when user leaves game play in flowery fields.
•Smoothed Alien Hominid’s Splash Magic when traveling over water.
•Slowed down Iceskimo’s power drainage from magic.
•More effects added to elemental attacks for Alien Hominid, Demon and Iceskimo!
•If your character dies, your Animal Orbs can no longer fight without you.
Adding free fresh content to a three year old game is not done often, but this comes as a nice surprise to fans and will give more incentive for people who haven’t bought the game already. A new multiplayer mode, avatar awards, and the legendary Pink Knight are all proof of how much The Behemoth loves us.

Source - The Behemoth Development Blog
Castle Crashers is still my favorite XBLA game of all time; this might give me and my friends a reason to go play it again.

Finished Bastion yesterday. The game gets better and better as it goes on. Best soundtrack of the year so far, too.
Yeah, Bastion is great. I'm surprised this didn't get more love here.
Old 08-29-11, 03:43 PM

I was cruising right along with Bastion until I came to the seemingly never-ending flashback level where you try to retrieve the first Shard. I keep dying and without any more health vials, black ink or extra lives, it's become very frustrating now. I wish I could keep advancing, but it seems I'm just stuck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.