Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 06:06 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

The Adventures of Shuggy is pretty fun. There's a great amount of puzzles, taking the form of different types. Worth checking out if you like those types of games.
Old 06-16-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Played a bit of Magic 2012 last night. It's not doing anything wildly different than its predecessor, but how could it? The presentation is way better, it runs faster, and it's satisfying to once again be able to unlock cards and see new decks.

The first duel is tough. Mostly because you only have two decks to start with and the "Stone" deck you're up against can get really powerful, really fast. Once you get through it, though, you can take that deck and move on in the campaign. Once I got Tezzerret's artifact deck, I tore through my next opponent. Of course, I toyed with him and buffed my army up to a point where I got him down to -318 health.

The campaign is linear but not as linear in the first game. After the first duel, you choose who you duel next, but you must beat both of them before moving on to the single option after that. That repeats 3 times until the end. So, it's the same basic structure, but at least you can duel the other mini-boss if you're stuck on one.

The 15 puzzles/challenges are integrated into the campaign and archenemy modes and become available as you progress. So far I've only done the first 4 labelled "Easy" and they were indeed easy. Probably because as the challenge is loading it tells you how to play with/against certain card attributes (trample, regeneration, double strike, equipping, etc) and, sure enough, when you play that's what you have to do to pass it. I imagine they'll get tricky like the last game, but not yet.

I haven't tried removing cards from any deck yet because I really don't have enough new cards in any to worry about 60 vs 62. Also haven't tried Archenemy mode yet because it was the last thing I unlocked (you need to complete at least two campaign duels to access it).

Other than that, I didn't really notice many changes from the first game. It's prettier and more streamlined, but it plays exactly the same so you should have no problem jumping right in if you've played the original.

I can't wait to try out the online co-op or even battles, if anyone is interested.
Old 06-16-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to beat the last guy. His deck is kind of crap. For instance, the last attempt I made he went first and his turn went:

Island, Mox Sapphire, Mox Sapphire. Tap all three to cast some spell where each player chooses a card in their hand to put into play for free. He puts into play an indestructible 11/11 artifact creature. My turn. I play a swamp.

It was garbage.

That being said, I do like the game and am happy with the purchase. The decks though seem a little plain. For instance there are none that focus on hand/deck/land destruction. I really liked the blue/white deck from the previous game that was creatureless (more or less) and just ground down their deck. It gave a very different feel. None of that here.
Old 06-16-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuckin' Moxes.
Old 06-16-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, what? Last guy? You already tore through it? Damn, son! That's impressive.

BTW, I love that indestructible 11/11 creature
Old 06-16-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Wait, what? Last guy? You already tore through it? Damn, son! That's impressive.

BTW, I love that indestructible 11/11 creature
Yeah I took that first green deck and beat unlocked all but the last deck with it. The last deck (basically the guy before the main boss) I couldn't beat with the green deck and had to switch to the red burn deck.

So far my favorite deck has been the all black vampire one.
Old 06-16-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's reading parts of threads like this that make me wish I wasn't into videogames.
Old 06-16-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Outta here jock!
Old 06-16-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-16-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
It's reading parts of threads like this that make me wish I wasn't into videogames.
Don't hate on Magic nerds! They let regular video game nerds like us feel superior.
Old 06-16-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit, good point Gramps. As you were card game fuckos!
Old 06-16-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shit, good point Gramps. As you were card game fuckos!
Don't you have a city to drive up to and help destroy?
Old 06-16-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superfro
Don't you have a city to drive up to and help destroy?
The sad part is, I made a joke yesterday at lunch time that if I left then I could make the riots.
Old 06-16-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The sad part is, I made a joke yesterday at lunch time that if I left then I could make the riots.
Well...all you had to go on was history. Fucking idiots.

You don't see no MTG riots though. Or if you did they'd be done in like 90 seconds cause everybody would be winded and sweating profusely.
Old 06-16-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro
Well...all you had to go on was history. Fucking idiots.

You don't see no MTG riots though. Or if you did they'd be done in like 90 seconds cause everybody would be winded and sweating profusely mana-tapped until their next upkeep phase.
Fixed.
Old 06-20-11, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the XBLA games for this week are going to be Trenched and Lucha Fury.

EDIT: I was wrong on pricing. Trenched will be 1200, and Lucha Fury will be 800.

Last edited by Shagrath; 06-20-11 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah it's easy to brush off if it's a game I was just slogging through for the points, but I ended up LOVING Guardian of Light... but not enough to drop another 15 on it starting over.
Apparently I lied:
Spoiler:
Old 06-20-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, looks like the DOTW will be Popcap stuff (at least in the UK), according to AceyBongos.

50% off most stuff, and 75% off Bejeweled Blitz.
Old 06-20-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Looks like the XBLA games for this week are going to be Trenched and Lucha Fury.

EDIT: I was wrong on pricing. Trenched will be 1200, and Lucha Fury will be 800.
What is Lucha Fury? Mexican Wrestling perhaps? I still haven't cracked open my copy of the AAA game that was released last year I believe.
Old 06-20-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix
What is Lucha Fury? Mexican Wrestling perhaps? I still haven't cracked open my copy of the AAA game that was released last year I believe.
Looks like it's a side scrolling beat-em-up.

Old 06-20-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shagrath
...75% off Bejeweled Blitz.
If this ends up being true for US, you all need to get it. It's really fun once you let it grow on you. My $10 was well-spent, for $2.50 it would be a god damned steal.
Old 06-20-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

I'd buy it for that. But not for much more. It didn't exactly thrill me.
Old 06-20-11, 03:34 PM

Joystiq put up a review of Trenched. Sounds fun and deep, but I'm not a big tower defense fan and might wait on this to see how Toy Soldiers 2 turned out. I can't really see myself getting both. Then again, if this demo is awesome, I just might. Double Fine is turning into a really exceptional XBLA development studio. (Now the Sesame Street Kinect game, on the other hand...)
Old 06-20-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
(Now the Sesame Street Kinect game, on the other hand...)
... is not meant for you.
Old 06-20-11, 03:45 PM

I doubt my five-year old has $50 saved up for it, however.

BTW Maj Nelson just confirmed the the DOTW will be Pop Cap games. No word on pricing or games though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.