Fable III -- Oct. 26th, 2010

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-08-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Official Fable III Site
"Fable III" is the latest installment to the action-packed and critically acclaimed Xbox 360 exclusive franchise that has sold more than six million copies. Fans new and returning will now embark on an epic adventure, where the race for the crown is only the beginning of your spectacular journey. Five decades have passed since the events of "Fable II," and Albion has matured into an industrial revolution, but the fate of the kingdom is at peril.

In "Fable III," you will be called upon to rally and fight alongside your people, ascend to the seat of power, and experience the true meaning of love and loss while defending your throne. In your quest to seize power and defend your kingdom, the choices you make will change the world around you, for the greater good or your own personal gain.

Who will you become? A rebel without a cause, the tyrant you rebelled against, or the greatest ruler to ever live?

http://lionhead.com/Fable/FableIII/
Trailer:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpR2Uy2VLMc&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpR2Uy2VLMc&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<hr nospace>
GDC Demo Material (via IGN, three videos):

Spoiler:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0bxe-YQR09s&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0bxe-YQR09s&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwEUZNCwt6U&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XwEUZNCwt6U&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U7547p235wE&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U7547p235wE&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Peter Molyneux Interview / Fable III Demo at E3:

Spoiler:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lw3dj9w7yh0&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lw3dj9w7yh0&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Peter Molyneux & John Cleese Talk Fable III:

Spoiler:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEtes1LB3bg&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEtes1LB3bg&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

* Import Old Save Games from Fable II
* RPG Elements Being "Diminished"
* Attempting "Fighting Game" Fluidity to Combat
* Interactive, Dynamic Map
* "Everything" Levels Up
* Neat 3-D Item/Clothing GUI
* Follower Mechanic
* Gauntlet Magic System Mixes Spell Attributes
* John Frakkin' Cleese
Old 07-08-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fable III -- Oct. 26th, 2010

Twice bitten, thrice shy.
Old 07-08-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are they diminishing the RPG element? That's the reason I started playing to begin with.
Old 07-08-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never played any of these games (beyond an hour of the first game I scarcely remember). Are they any good?
Old 07-08-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Never played any of these games (beyond an hour of the first game I scarcely remember). Are they any good?
Good? Yes. Fun? Absolutely. Anything near what Peter Molyneux, the game's designer, promises them to be? Not exactly.
Old 07-08-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Good? Yes. Fun? Absolutely. Anything near what Peter Molyneux, the game's designer, promises them to be? Not exactly.

I've only played number two, and it was certainly a great game in its own right, but certainly nothing on the level I was expecting. It ended up being so different than I thought I ended up liking it a great deal anyway, but it is really quite linear. Still, there are some nice elements like character relationships, the gesture system, jobs, and property ownership, even if they are all pretty simple implementations. The combat system is also really excellent. But again, the weapon and armor options are pretty basic. This is evened out by the ability to dye your clothes different colors, which is pretty neat. Definitely a game worth checking out.
Old 07-08-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Day one purchase for me. Absolutely loved Fable II. I played it as one of my first games after I got back into gaming last year, and I had heard nothing about the famed "broken promises" related to the game, so there was no disappointment at all.

However, the diminishment of RPG elements does concern me since that's what I enjoy the most.

Last edited by MoviePage; 07-08-10 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

* Import Old Save Games from Fable II
* Attempting "Fighting Game" Fluidity to Combat
* Interactive, Dynamic Map
* "Everything" Levels Up
* Neat 3-D Item/Clothing GUI
* Follower Mechanic
* Gauntlet Magic System Mixes Spell Attributes
* John Frakkin' Cleese
I am on board with everybody to the max except for the RPG elements being diminished. If I wanted a pure adventure game, I would go play Harry F'ing Potter. Seriously. I really hope they realize how awesome the first two were and don't try to reinvent the wheel. I dunno, I might have to wait for reviews this time. Excited still, but more cautious until I know more.
Old 07-09-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One thing I forgot to mention in the main post: it looks like online co-op will actually allow for your individually-created characters to quest together, even marry and have kids. That's unlike the multiplayer in Fable II, which allowed for one custom character and a choice from a handful of stock heroes to join the main.

Also, a few added smaller earmarks after reading these hands-on impressions from E3:

* Female heroes won't turn into mannish butches are they grow stronger.
* No more power orbs, due to the auto-level system.
* Simon Pegg has a role in Fable III as well.
* Apparently, your character will actually say things this time around.

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
However, the diminishment of RPG elements does concern me since that's what I enjoy the most.
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
I am on board with everybody to the max except for the RPG elements being diminished. If I wanted a pure adventure game, I would go play Harry F'ing Potter. Seriously. I really hope they realize how awesome the first two were and don't try to reinvent the wheel. I dunno, I might have to wait for reviews this time. Excited still, but more cautious until I know more.
That blurb in the Molyneux / Cleese interview video is the only mentioning I've seen of the RPG elements being weakened. Since they're already pretty streamlined in the first place, I hope he doesn't do too much monkeying around with that aspect.
Old 07-09-10, 09:34 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm looking forward to this "feature" in other games:

GTA V: "Open world elements now diminished!"
Super Mario Galaxy 3: "Jumping elements diminished!"
Puzzle Quest 3: "Puzzle elements diminished!"
Dead Rising 3: "Zombie elements diminished!"
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: "Main character dies less!"
Old 07-09-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

Me and a friend play a lot of online co-op together, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to have a kid with him...
Old 10-16-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,032 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Reminder : This game is coming in just ten days. Don't forget to make your villager so that you can import him or her into the game. It unlocks a unique quest and gives 1000 gold.

Apparently, you need a preorder code to import it in. I don't think Amazon sent me one yet, but I could have missed it. Anyone else get one from Amazon?

I'll be getting the cool Collector's Edition. Looks cool.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibbyIMFOo0Y?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibbyIMFOo0Y?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-16-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibbyIMFOo0Y?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ibbyIMFOo0Y?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
That's pretty sharp.

Here's a stock photo of the set:

Old 10-16-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post

I've only played number two, and it was certainly a great game in its own right, but certainly nothing on the level I was expecting. It ended up being so different than I thought I ended up liking it a great deal anyway, but it is really quite linear. Still, there are some nice elements like character relationships, the gesture system, jobs, and property ownership, even if they are all pretty simple implementations...
Pretty much what I thought of it. I don't see how RPG elements could be reduced they were very simplistic as it was. Still, it was fun and very funny in parts so I will buy it... but where?

Both Amazon and Walmart offer a $20 incentive but Walmart seems the best value. As far as I can tell, their online credit doesn't expire and you need not spend it on games. Unless someone knows otherwise? I don't know how long the Amazon credit is good for but I know it expires eventually.
Old 10-16-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,032 Likes on 2,009 Posts

Can't believe I used the word "cool" twice. Shouldn't be posting while only half-awake
Old 10-16-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Reminder : This game is coming in just ten days. Don't forget to make your villager so that you can import him or her into the game. It unlocks a unique quest and gives 1000 gold.

Apparently, you need a preorder code to import it in. I don't think Amazon sent me one yet, but I could have missed it. Anyone else get one from Amazon?

I put my pre-order down middle of last week from amazon. Collector's edition too. The only game I've pre-ordered this year so far (well except for WoW Cataclysm LE for my wife). I did my villager up, but i never see like a save button, do any of you? It's just kinda there.
Old 10-16-10, 12:24 PM
gamer for life

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't believe I used the word "cool" twice. Shouldn't be posting while only half-awake

or half-asleep?
Old 10-16-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to it. I know it gets ragged for not being a good RPG by "real gamers" but to me it's the right mix.
Old 10-16-10, 12:48 PM
Banned by request

I've got mine paid off at Gamestop. I should probably finish Fable II before I start this.
Old 10-16-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I just finished Fable II, and have Fable III on pre-order at Amazon. No code yet, though.
Old 10-19-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I just finished Fable II, and have Fable III on pre-order at Amazon. No code yet, though.
Just got mine in an email from Amazon this morning.
Old 10-19-10, 11:25 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Just got my preorder code as well. Haven't created my villager yet.

Fired up Fable 2 after a long hiatus. I've completely forgotten the controls. My family walked up to me, and I knocked them (and everybody else in the area) over with a AOE spell. Oops. Later, I was attacked and tried to counter but all I could get my person to do was stand there whistling.
Old 10-20-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anybody else is wondering why they didn't get their pre-order code as I was, check your spam folder. Gmail marked it as a phishing attempt and sent it there.
Old 10-20-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Umm so I just tried entering my code and it came back invalid. I think they sent me one that was too short. Just a heads up you might want to check yours.
Old 10-20-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Despite the instructions in the email, I think that code needs to be entered on the village designer website.

Speaking of the site, I can't get it to work. Clicking on the Start Designing button doesn't do anything. I've tried IE and Firefox on two different computers. Anybody having any luck?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.