Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Portal 2 PS3/PC/360

Old 02-14-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Portal 2 PS3/PC/360

Now available for pre-order

Amazon's is $54.99 with another $5 future credit.

Gamestop is $54.99 with some co-op skins or something that will probably sell for more than $5 on ebay to morans.
Old 02-25-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Complete Co-op

Hug 3 friends in co-op

Complete Test Chamber 10 in under 70 seconds

Survive the manual override

And, last, but not least - Complete the Single Player Campaign:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iAPvajnvMqc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iAPvajnvMqc&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Old 02-28-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Feelin' like a douche having 3 back-to-back-to-back posts over 2 weeks, but here are the achievements for the game: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/

Am I the only one looking forward to this?
Old 02-28-11, 12:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm looking forward to it, but I didn't want to break your douche-streak.
Old 02-28-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-28-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Those avatar awards are nice, but can't trump the free Steam version that comes with the PS3 version. That's thee one I still plan to get.
Old 02-28-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While a free Steam version sounds cool, will you really play the same game on two different platforms? I think I'll get the 360 version so that I will have some co-op partners.
Old 02-28-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
While a free Steam version sounds cool, will you really play the same game on two different platforms? I think I'll get the 360 version so that I will have some co-op partners.

That and I don't have a PC on which to play it.
Old 03-21-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
Now available for pre-order

Amazon's is $54.99 with another $5 future credit.

Gamestop is $54.99 with some co-op skins or something that will probably sell for more than $5 on ebay to morans.
Amazon now with $20 future credit. For $35 net (depending on how you do your accounting), this is a no-brainer. Applies to all previous pre-orders.

http://amzn.to/gLXZOo
Old 03-22-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Amazon now with $20 future credit. For $35 net (depending on how you do your accounting), this is a no-brainer. Applies to all previous pre-orders.

http://amzn.to/gLXZOo
Perfect, I love using Amazon!
Old 03-22-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

D'oh, no credit for the PC version
Old 03-22-11, 12:50 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
D'oh, no credit for the PC version
buy the ps3 version for 10 bucks more....get the 20 dollar credit...sell the ps3 version for at least 35 bucks day one...(or 27-30 at gamestop if you don't want to mess with online sales)

I don't know why anyone wanting the pc version would not do this...
Old 03-22-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Based on the initial notice about it, you have to link a PSN and Steam account. I don't have a PS3 at all, so I wonder if there would be issues getting the free Steam copy? Seems like it might be potentially more complicated then just getting a code for the Steam download.
Old 03-22-11, 12:57 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Based on the initial notice about it, you have to link a PSN and Steam account. I don't have a PS3 at all, so I wonder if there would be issues getting the free Steam copy? Seems like it might be potentially more complicated then just getting a code for the Steam download.
make a psn account online and see if you can link them...or get someone here with a ps3 to do you a favor and set up another psn account for you...heck I'll do it for you with a generic password you can change later....
Old 03-22-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foxdvd
buy the ps3 version for 10 bucks more....get the 20 dollar credit...sell the ps3 version for at least 35 bucks day one...(or 27-30 at gamestop if you don't want to mess with online sales)

I don't know why anyone wanting the pc version would not do this...
You would still need access to a ps3. From what i understand you link and enter the code in game. So no ps3 would make the pc copy unusable

Ahh you got it already fox lol
Old 03-22-11, 01:00 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by glassdragon
You would still need access to a ps3. From what i understand you link and enter the code in game. So no ps3 would make the pc copy unusable
so you actually have to have the ps3 copy in and then link? I don't plan on buying the ps3 version, but I am sure someone here getting the ps3 version would make a quick generic psn account, and link it for you. I don't think it would take more than 10 minutes start to finish...once it is done, you can change your password...

I thought I read that they said you could give away your steam copy to a friend...that was sort of the selling point..in that case I don't see how you would need a ps3...
Old 03-22-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess i'll wait and see, it still seems potentially complicated and im afraid of issues trying to work around the PSN stuff. To me, it's not worth the hassle.
Old 03-22-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so you actually have to have the ps3 copy in and then link? I don't plan on buying the ps3 version, but I am sure someone here getting the ps3 version would make a quick generic psn account, and link it for you. I don't think it would take more than 10 minutes start to finish...once it is done, you can change your password...

I thought I read that they said you could give away your steam copy to a friend...that was sort of the selling point..in that case I don't see how you would need a ps3...
It is my understanding that to get the pc version you MUST link your psn to your steam, so I assume the redemption will be in game hence needing the ps3
Old 03-22-11, 01:35 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by glassdragon
It is my understanding that to get the pc version you MUST link your psn to your steam, so I assume the redemption will be in game hence needing the ps3
since the pc and ps3 versions are compatible for coop...what is the point of having a free pc version?
Old 03-22-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

since the pc and ps3 versions are compatible for coop...what is the point of having a free pc version?
So you can play it on a lappy when you are not at home, plus with cloud saves i hear you can use your ps3/pc saves interchangeably
Old 03-22-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Plus for me, I can play it on the PC with the better graphics and K&M controls when I feel like it, or switch over and play on the big HDTV with a console if I prefer. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I would have liked the avatar items, and might enjoy doing online co-op on the 360. But the dual-system PS3 set up pushed me to that version instead.
Old 03-23-11, 10:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I'm a bit conflicted. I typically do all of my gaming on the 360, but I occasionally use Steam on my PC, which is a nice option, especially after buying the Humble Indie Bundles. I rarely use my PS3 for gaming anymore.

So, a 360 + Steam version would be far more useful for me, but that's obviously not going to happen unless I buy both the PS3+Steam copy and the 360 copy... which would be a lot of money to spend on one game. I could try to sell the PS3 copy after I've linked my PS3 and Steam accounts to get the Steam version installed on my PC, but I can't imagine that I'd get much for it at GameStop or wherever.

Actually... I think my best option is to buy the PS3 version on release day. Do what I need to do to get the Steam copy working, then sell the PS3 copy. I'll play the Steam copy to my heart's content until the 360 version gets a price drop. Win-win-win.
Old 03-24-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I'm a bit conflicted. I typically do all of my gaming on the 360, but I occasionally use Steam on my PC, which is a nice option, especially after buying the Humble Indie Bundles. I rarely use my PS3 for gaming anymore.

So, a 360 + Steam version would be far more useful for me, but that's obviously not going to happen unless I buy both the PS3+Steam copy and the 360 copy... which would be a lot of money to spend on one game. I could try to sell the PS3 copy after I've linked my PS3 and Steam accounts to get the Steam version installed on my PC, but I can't imagine that I'd get much for it at GameStop or wherever.

Actually... I think my best option is to buy the PS3 version on release day. Do what I need to do to get the Steam copy working, then sell the PS3 copy. I'll play the Steam copy to my heart's content until the 360 version gets a price drop. Win-win-win.
Why not just play it on the PS3 and avoid all the hassle?
Old 03-24-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Plus for me, I can play it on the PC with the better graphics and K&M controls when I feel like it, or switch over and play on the big HDTV with a console if I prefer. For me, it's the best of both worlds. I would have liked the avatar items, and might enjoy doing online co-op on the 360. But the dual-system PS3 set up pushed me to that version instead.
Yep, I preordered the ps3 version from Amazon. I agree, it's the best of both worlds, I can play with KB&M plus better graphics on my pc, and also have the console version if I want to play on my tv. I would love for more games to go this way, having universal access (Steam + PSN for now) to the game regardless of what platform you bought it on. This is what Microsoft should have done years ago in transitioning XBOX Live to the PC with GFWL, with the Live Anywhere concepts. I just hope this is the start of something bigger in opening up the platforms, although that is probably an unrealistic wish.
Old 03-24-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Yep, I preordered the ps3 version from Amazon. I agree, it's the best of both worlds, I can play with KB&M plus better graphics on my pc, and also have the console version if I want to play on my tv. I would love for more games to go this way, having universal access (Steam + PSN for now) to the game regardless of what platform you bought it on. This is what Microsoft should have done years ago in transitioning XBOX Live to the PC with GFWL, with the Live Anywhere concepts. I just hope this is the start of something bigger in opening up the platforms, although that is probably an unrealistic wish.
Yeah, it's unrealistic because obviously, you can give away or sell the version you don't want. In an age where publishers are fighting used game sales by including one-time use codes for online play and other stuff, I don't think they want to be giving away extra copies of games, same platform or not. Maybe they could tie the multiplayer to one person (through the Online Pass that EA is doing), but other than that, there's no way to stop someone else from using the extra copy.

On the other hand, the movie studios don't seem to mind giving away extra copies. Although, they don't cost as much when you compare the price of a new movie to a new game, so maybe they have less to lose.

Valve is in a better position to do this because they have an interest through Steam. I imagine that at least part of the reason they're doing this is to get a currently PS3-only gamer to create a Steam account on his PC, and while there he might consider buying more games. Most other publishers don't have that kind of thing, except EA which has their own digital store.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.