DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Portal 2 PS3/PC/360 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/575885-portal-2-ps3-pc-360-a.html)

Michael Corvin 01-18-11 02:59 PM

Re: Portal 2 PS3/PC/360

Originally Posted by msdmoney (Post 10596033)
Also I read this as if you could switch between both seamlessly (start on the PS3, continue on the PC, etc.), that's a pretty big feature IMO.

That is pretty cool if true. Definite :up: on that one. Hell I'd love for my two 360's to see each other to do that without using a jump drive/memory card.

It's strange that MS wouldn't work on a similar infrastructure with Valve. They sure gave a whole lot of support to Harmonix for Rock Band.

starman9000 01-18-11 03:10 PM

Yeah I'd love that.

msdmoney 01-18-11 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10596052)
That is pretty cool if true. Definite :up: on that one. Hell I'd love for my two 360's to see each other to do that without using a jump drive/memory card.

It's strange that MS wouldn't work on a similar infrastructure with Valve. They sure gave a whole lot of support to Harmonix for Rock Band.

That would Microsoft would have to give up some control of Xbox Live. I don't think they would ever do that.

I'm surprised Sony went for it actually, this could be the most dangerous thing for PSN or XBOX Live if this continues as a trend.

Decker 01-18-11 03:27 PM

How did we all conclude that you couldn't continue a playthrough from PS3 to PC via cloud storage? That seems completely possible and would be a useful feature.

BTW : I watched a vendor at CES play Portal 2 with a prototype motion controller (he wouldn't let me try it, the asshole). It seemed to play pretty well -- using the controllers to stretch out the cubes was pretty cool. I wonder if they'll enable two Move controllers to work in the same way...

pinata242 01-18-11 03:32 PM

So, I take it this cloud-based storage system is optional since not everyone has their console connected to the internet all the time.

Is the cloud just a remote backup in this case where your saves are still done locally and then periodically synchronized in the background (ala Dropbox).

If not, what if you use cloud storage and your internet connection is down or the service is unreachable for whatever reason. Are you stuck?

These are fantastic ideas, yes. Cloud storage is obviously a growing trend and I support that 100%. Cross platform play would be nice too for games like this, but really it's not a necessity. Everything else is just kind of "oh, that's neat".

All of the people I would play this with are on the 360 anyway so I don't feel any need to rush over for these minor features that I wouldn't use. I don't even have a gaming-quality PC or Mac so that's completely moot to me.

Groucho 01-18-11 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10596112)
Is the cloud just a remote backup in this case where your saves are still done locally and then periodically synchronized in the background (ala Dropbox).

This is how cloud saves work in Steam.

fumanstan 01-18-11 03:34 PM

A lot of those features are far more useful on the PC ecosystem versus consoles, but there are some small benefits.

For instance cloud saving is pretty awesome, since I can resume a saved game that I started playing on my work PC or on a laptop while traveling at home. Or never worrying about backing up saved game files ever.

Automatic patching means that updates will download in the background, so you don't have to worry about launching a game, realizing there's a big update, and then waiting another hour before you can play. On the PC, since i'm almost always signed in to Steam, it's pretty nice to have.

Michael Corvin 01-18-11 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10596115)
Automatic patching means that updates will download in the background, so you don't have to worry about launching a game, realizing there's a big update, and then waiting another hour before you can play.

There's only one system that has that problem. :P

chuckd21 01-18-11 03:50 PM

So does any of this matter considering the shambles that Playstation's online network is in right now?

pinata242 01-18-11 03:52 PM

Hopefully the cloud saving is smart enough to allow you access when you sign in on a friend's console (is this something one can do on a PS3?)

For instance, in the 360 world it would be nice to just take my USB stick with my profile, plug in, sign on as profile #3 or whatever and instantly have access to all my saves from the cloud without needing them on the USB stick as well.

ultimaton 01-18-11 04:27 PM

The PSN/Steam integration sounds pretty rad. Originally there was no doubt that I was getting this on the 360, but now I think I'm going to try and convince my wife that it would be better for us to get it for the PS3 (she hates the dualshock, so it'll be an uphill battle).

Supermallet 01-18-11 05:11 PM

I'm quite excited for the PSN/Steam integration, and even more excited for Portal 2, especially with the inclusion of Stephen Merchant as the voice of the helper bot.

Michael Corvin 01-18-11 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by atxbomber (Post 10596187)
I think I'm going to try and convince my wife that it would be better for us to get it for the PS3 (she hates the dualshock, so it'll be an uphill battle).

:beer: for your wife.

fumanstan 01-18-11 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 10596570)
:beer: for your wife.

I suppose getting her drunk could work...

glassdragon 01-18-11 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 10596139)
So does any of this matter considering the shambles that Playstation's online network is in right now?

Shambles? I don't get it.

Drexl 01-18-11 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10596115)
Automatic patching means that updates will download in the background, so you don't have to worry about launching a game, realizing there's a big update, and then waiting another hour before you can play. On the PC, since i'm almost always signed in to Steam, it's pretty nice to have.

Yeah, it will be great if you leave your console on all the time. Most people don't. Will it even be able to "push" the updates to you?

I like the idea of including the PC version. It's like the gaming equivalent of the digital copy that DVDs/BDs have. It makes sense, as I suspect that the whole "Steam on PS3" idea is to market the PC's Steam store to PS3 gamers. They may be able to get some PS3 gamers to try out the PC for gaming and gain some new customers.

fumanstan 01-18-11 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596711)
Yeah, it will be great if you leave your console on all the time. Most people don't. Will it even be able to "push" the updates to you?

It can easily update while you're doing other stuff; playing another game, watching media, whatever :shrug:

pinata242 01-18-11 11:22 PM

Can it?

Should it? Yes.

Can it?

Drexl 01-18-11 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10596714)
It can easily update while you're doing other stuff; playing another game, watching media, whatever :shrug:

I said console, not PC. If they can pull off updating while playing a game on the PS3, I really hope they show Sony how to do it so we can get it for every game. :)

fumanstan 01-18-11 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596730)
I said console, not PC. If they can pull off updating while playing a game on the PS3, I really hope they show Sony how to do it so we can get it for every game. :)

And I meant console, not PC. Not sure why you thought I meant PC. Downloads work in the background on the 360 :shrug:

Drexl 01-18-11 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10596739)
And I meant console, not PC. Not sure why you thought I meant PC. Downloads work in the background on the 360 :shrug:

I thought you meant PC because you can't download in the background while playing games on the PS3, which is what is getting Steam.

fumanstan 01-18-11 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596748)
I thought you meant PC because you can't download in the background while playing games on the PS3, which is what is getting Steam.

Right, I was initially saying what the benefit of "automatic patching" was as it was questioned earlier as a feature, and how it would be a benefit on the PS3.

Fandango 01-19-11 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 10596748)

Not true, you only can't do that if the game has some online component.

pinata242 01-19-11 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fandango (Post 10596757)
Not true, you only can't do that if the game has some online component.

Or watching a BD. Or is that just movies with an online component?

BTW, which PS3 games don't have an online component?

Wick 01-19-11 05:38 PM

The news about the Playstation 3 version containing a code for a second copy on Steam is brilliant. It gives me a lot of respect for Valve, who I was a bit angry at for releasing L4D2 far too soon (and it being uninspired, and somewhat boring.)

If I buy it, I'll definitely get that version. It'd be nice to be able to play it on console and on Mac.