DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Portal 2 PS3/PC/360 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/575885-portal-2-ps3-pc-360-a.html)

Dan 05-06-11 09:48 AM

Re: Portal 2 PS3/PC/360

Indeed. JK Simmons is awesome. He was PERFECT in Spiderman.

I think, one of my favourite JK lines in Oz is in the last two seasons...
Spoiler:
Schillinger! God DAMN IT! Schillinger! I've been here NINE FUCKING YEARS! You'd think you'd know how to say my goddamn name!

gryffinmaster 05-08-11 10:09 PM

The co-op gets a HUGE :up: from here. While some of the puzzles require just as much thought as the single-player mode and demand putting the two players' heads together, it's also fairly friendly to Portal virgins or those who quite simply aren't all that good at thinking in portals (i.e. get the advanced player through the puzzle, which allows an easy-to-access wall or point-of-view to get the other across). We've made it through three clusters of puzzle rooms, and it's a blast so far.

Decker 05-08-11 11:04 PM

[PS3 owner]What is this "co-op mode" you speak of?[/PS3 owner]

Groucho 05-08-11 11:11 PM

PS3 owners shouldn't complain. The co-op and Steam integration was up for an entire day!

gryffinmaster 05-08-11 11:12 PM

:lol:

Actually, we're doing the split-screen on the PS3.

lopper 05-09-11 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 10762554)
The co-op gets a HUGE :up: from here. While some of the puzzles require just as much thought as the single-player mode and demand putting the two players' heads together, it's also fairly friendly to Portal virgins or those who quite simply aren't all that good at thinking in portals (i.e. get the advanced player through the puzzle, which allows an easy-to-access wall or point-of-view to get the other across). We've made it through three clusters of puzzle rooms, and it's a blast so far.

My wife and I played this for a few hours yesterday. She really enjoyed it, and was damn good at it, too!

She's never liked the FPS control scheme, but Portal isn't a fast paced, twitchy affair, so she could take her time learning how to play.

redcat 05-15-11 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 10759311)
I just finished it as well. I took a week off after getting stuck on one test chamber right near the end (test chamber 16 I think...the one with the 3 turrets behind the glass).

I eventually had to go to youtube for help with that one. I still hate myself for it, but I just wasn't thinking about it the right way, and I'm not sure the answer would have come to me anytime soon. Of course, after seeing the solution, I feel like an idiot.

Decker 05-16-11 12:57 AM

I've been playing this for hours today with my nearly five year old son watching (waited until PSN was online to start it). He really loves it, pretends to shoot "holes" in all the white walls in my house and has started talking like Glados/ sentry gun for the rest of the evening. "Malfunction". :lol:

Dan 05-17-11 10:39 AM

Well, I just finished my second run-through of this game. I caught a lot more of the dialog this time around, so it was still very enjoyable.

Also, the final song is great. I hadn't listened to it since my first run-through, but I like it even more now. :up:

Jeraden 05-17-11 01:36 PM

This is a great game. I thought it would be the puzzles aspect of it that I liked the most, but it's actually the story/dialog. Most other games I'm like ok, blah blah blah, stop talking and get to the action, end this boring cutscene, etc, etc. But this one I actually look forward to them.

glassdragon 05-17-11 09:45 PM

http://kotaku.com/5802908/portal-2-f...-way-to-offend

Spoilers if you haven't finished it yet

Spoiler:

Portal 2 Finds A Unique Way to Offend

Michael McWhertor — What could one possibly find offensive about the critically lauded Portal 2, an inventive, all ages-friendly game? Are those turrets too violent? Is the jazz too smooth? No, it's the jokes about adoption that have one Portal fan (and one local news team) riled up.
So says a report today from Charlotte, North Carolina's CBS affiliate WBTV (which, by the way, may contain spoilers for Portal 2 players). Neal Stapel, adoptive father to Zoey, a Chinese orphan, says he was upset with the barbs slung by Portal 2's antagonists, insults that belittle the playable Chell for her (alleged) adopted status. Morons and the overweight are also mocked by robots.

In Portal 2, Chell's arch-nemeses tease her for her non-existent weight gain and her lack of birth parents, puerile, bullying taunts that offer color into their respective characters. But the jabs at her being adopted were too much for Stapel.

"It literally pokes fun for not having parents," he says, seeming to choke up in WBTV's news broadcast. He played the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 with his kids, but stopped when the adoption jokes kicked in. "It throws the ultimate question that that child is ever going to have for you... and it just throws it right in the living room."

Yes, it's got to be a bit awkward for adoptive parents if they're experiencing this in front of their non-biological kids, but Chell's enemies are also trying to kill her, which I'd find much more upsetting if I were her. But, hey, I wasn't adopted and can't personally relate to the conflicting emotions of such a situation.

Kotaku reached out to Valve to see if they had any comment on the matter, though they didn't before this story aired, reportedly.
The video is hilarious. Did anyone else laugh at "She knows she's adopted, she's Chinese, she obviously doesn't look like us". Here's an idea, instead of dwelling on her being adopted just love her as if she's not. I'm sure when kids tease her in school (and they likely will) he will go and kick their asses.

What a dumbass, seriously, get a sense of humor. I also don't think literally means what he thinks it means.

DRG 05-18-11 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 10777129)
Spoiler:
The video is hilarious. Did anyone else laugh at "She knows she's adopted, she's Chinese, she obviously doesn't look like us".

I haven't watched the video, but in reading this I couldn't help but picture Cam from Modern Family doing this as one of those 'couch scenes'.

dino88 05-18-11 09:58 AM

It sounds like a news report The Onion would make.

Geddlo 05-18-11 11:32 AM

I'll spoiler this just in case, but isn't

Spoiler:
Chell Cave Johnson's kid? She's definitely one of the scientist's children as you can see her potato science project growing way out of control in that sequence with all the science projects from the children of the scientists.

I guess if that dolt of a father put down his controller he wouldn't have made it to that scene.

Groucho 05-18-11 11:45 AM

Interesting, Geddlo. I didn't notice that. I'll need to reply that part and look closer.

pinata242 05-18-11 11:48 AM

Spoiler:
Possibly a clone of his kid with Caroline (who became the basis of GLaDOS). Which would make GLaDOS's taunting of Chell not having parents sort of, you know, ironic?

FatTony 05-18-11 01:08 PM

Spoiler:
Interesting theory, but I always thought Chell looked Asian, and according to wiki, the woman they modeled her after is of Brazilian and Japanese descent. Neither Caroline or Cave Johnson look Brazilian or Japanese. However, I didn't realize that was her potato in the science project room, so I'll have to check out that part again.

Groucho 05-18-11 01:17 PM

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5...ferencesho.jpg

I think I've seen this character running around in both games, but I've never managed to catch up with her.

RichC2 05-18-11 01:21 PM

Oh! So that's the chick that lives in the portals!

Raul3 05-18-11 03:13 PM

Spoilers!!!! I think I saw her once, but after I went to the room no one was there. Maybe a bug.

Dragon Fly 05-23-11 06:32 PM

Anyone want to co-op on 360? GT: Paradoxx21

discostu1337 05-26-11 11:08 PM

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

free soundtrack and ringtones.

foxdvd 05-27-11 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10778180)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/5...ferencesho.jpg

I think I've seen this character running around in both games, but I've never managed to catch up with her.

she has long toes...

pinata242 05-27-11 12:02 AM

Picky, picky... I'd use her portals any day.

foxdvd 05-27-11 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 10791457)
Picky, picky... I'd use her portals any day.

if you cum in one hole does it come out the other?