Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Simple Question - Do you ever feel like you're wasting time when you play video games

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Simple Question - Do you ever feel like you're wasting time when you play video games

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know, I know, this can apply to TV, or the internet, but I'm curious if anyone else feels this way.

Now, this isn't meant to be a condemnation on gaming, cause I really enjoy playing video games (else why would I be here), but recently I've been thinking about buying another console and this thought came up. The Wii and the PS3 both have games I want to play (Drake's and the Mario Galaxy Titles), and I was trying to decide which system I would buy, when I started thinking -- do I want to waste more time playing video games?

More than likely I will get some other console sooner or later, but that isn't the point of this thread. The point is do you ever feel like you've wasted time playing video games? Like, after you've finally found that 500th orb in Crack Down -- job done -- only to think? Well that was all for nothing. Or when you chase achievements, or get surprised when you see how many hours you've logged in WoW or something along those lines?

I'm just curious.
Old 06-30-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Simple Question - Do you ever feel like you're wasting time when you play video g

My mom calls me once a week, and anytime I mention gaming, she asks me a similar question to the one you are proposing. Now keep in mind, I'm nearly 35 years old, have been with my current company for over seven years, have a beautiful wife and own my own house. My answer is usually the same every time, as long as I continue to enjoy playing games, I'll never feel like it is a waste of time.

Of course, it does help that my wife also plays games and doesn't mind me talking about it. In addition, I write my own gaming column every Wednesday (blatant plug). The point is I don't think it's a waste of time because I have fun. Every once in a while, sure I get the bad game but typically I don't play those for very long. As far as achievement whoring or WoW hours, I've logged quite a few, but it's what I like doing with my leisure time. *shrug*
Old 06-30-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Simple Question - Do you ever feel like you're wasting time when you play video g

I think if you have a relatively balanced life, what's the harm?
Old 06-30-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Only when I'm not having fun anymore. Like waiting in lobbies waiting for someone to play Fusion Frenzy 2 with me. That was a waste of time.
Old 06-30-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Not at all.
Even the rediculous amount of time I dumped into MMORPG's when I used to play them HARD core I don't consider wasted considering all the friends I made all over the world and the fun we had.

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-30-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Most anything you do in life is wasting time if you think about it. Hell, I think that sleep is wasting time and I wish that I didn't have to sleep much as I could find things to do to fill in the extra hours.
Old 06-30-10, 05:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The 60 hours I spent trying to get to 100% on Superman 64 may have been ill-advised.
Old 06-30-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a-Do you have fun playing video games?

b-Do you like having fun?

c-Have some fun.
Old 06-30-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only when I play a really bad game.
Old 06-30-10, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes, when I look at my pile of unwatched DVDs and unread books. Not that either of those activites are any more productive. Generally, though, I have little enough leisure time that I don't feel to guilty about enjoying it.
Old 06-30-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Most anything you do in life is wasting time if you think about it. Hell, I think that sleep is wasting time and I wish that I didn't have to sleep much as I could find things to do to fill in the extra hours.

I tell my wife this all the time and she thinks I'm crazy. She loves to sleep. I don't.
Old 06-30-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Well I disagree slightly, as a lot of things are done to further the pursuit of some goal (exercising, learning a useful skill as a hobby, etc), which all goes back to having a balanced life. Not that leisure activity isn't valuable in and of itself.

Last edited by boredsilly; 06-30-10 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I figure I'm keeping a heck of a lot of people employed by playing their games, so I'm just helping the economy and their lifestyles.
Old 06-30-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not exactly--it's leisure time and whatever I do with it probably wouldn't be productive. The exception was Everquest since I played that at the expense of things I should be doing mostly because it took a long to get a good spot, but no other game (even WoW) was like that.
Old 06-30-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Wasting" isn't a very good word to describe it for me. I sometimes think there are better things I could be doing with my time (the same could be said for a number of time-consuming hobbies). But as long as I'm deriving some pleasure from gaming, I don't feel guilty about it. I'm usually too tired after a day's work to do anything active anyway, so sitting on the couch with a controller in-hand usually sounds quite nice. Outside of that, it very rarely impacts my social life and I'm a reasonably healthy dude, so no harm, no foul.
Old 06-30-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

I tell my wife this all the time and she thinks I'm crazy. She loves to sleep. I don't.
Same here. I also hate eating. Seems like a waste of time. I like food, but hate eating. Go figure.
Old 06-30-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I don't really see any difference in playing video games with all the other time wasters out there; watching TV, movies, reading books, playing an instrument... whatever you enjoy and can get entertainment out of.
Old 06-30-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

Same here.

My wife loves taking naps whereas I would love to be able to get by on just a couple hours of sleep each night.
Old 06-30-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not unless I'm playing them on purpose to waste time
Old 06-30-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes I wonder about that. I'm 32, and have a pretty good job. Back in high school, I used to play computer games nonstop. But I got sick of them during college and after. Nowadays, I might play a couple of hours here and there, but if a game sucks me in too much, I wonder if I'm wasting my time because there are loads of other things I can do, like go out, travel, stuff like that. Then again, I like video games sometimes because it is relaxing, and takes my mind off other things.
Old 07-01-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not usually. I am a pretty busy guy, so when I do have some down time, I feel like I can use it however I want (games, movies, TV, etc.)
Old 07-01-10, 08:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Attempt at a serious point here:

I think one difference, for me and I imagine many, is that it is much easier to get sucked into a game for extremely long periods of time. With anything else on TV, there is generally a finite length and the program ends after 30-120 minutes. Yes, you could flip to another channel or put another disc in, but there is that break for you to consider doing something else. Games are a little more seamless, although there are ends of missions or matches, many games are open-ended or take 50+ hours to "finish". Therefore, one can get sucked into a game for many hours.

A week or so ago I put in Borderlands to kill an hour or so, and didn't notice the time until almost 12 hours later.

And yes, while very happy with a fun-filled day, I did feel like I wasted time.
Old 07-01-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple answer: No.
Old 07-01-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Attempt at a serious point here:

I think one difference, for me and I imagine many, is that it is much easier to get sucked into a game for extremely long periods of time. With anything else on TV, there is generally a finite length and the program ends after 30-120 minutes. Yes, you could flip to another channel or put another disc in, but there is that break for you to consider doing something else. Games are a little more seamless, although there are ends of missions or matches, many games are open-ended or take 50+ hours to "finish". Therefore, one can get sucked into a game for many hours.

A week or so ago I put in Borderlands to kill an hour or so, and didn't notice the time until almost 12 hours later.

And yes, while very happy with a fun-filled day, I did feel like I wasted time.

That just never happens to me anymore though. No matter how great a game is, I'll get sick of playing after about an hour or so and wanna do something else. Guess I'm just ADD like that or something...
Old 07-01-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Same here.

My wife loves taking naps whereas I would love to be able to get by on just a couple hours of sleep each night.
Same here as well... My wife gets excited about the weekend just to take naps. I hate that I have to sleep.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.