Reload this Page >

DC Universe Online - November 2010

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-15-10, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought we had a thread for this much delayed game but I couldn't find it with the search function.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zE4Vv3PacRM"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zE4Vv3PacRM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

http://dcuo.station.sony.com/

Last edited by dx23; 06-15-10 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 04:09 PM
Banned

Re: DC Universe Online

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccavmob4Brk"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccavmob4Brk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>
Old 06-15-10, 04:11 PM
Banned

This was from last year

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/heQHHD3q5Ug&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/heQHHD3q5Ug&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-15-10, 04:13 PM
Banned

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LoZuN-p4gKc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LoZuN-p4gKc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-15-10, 04:33 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: DC Universe Online - November 2010

I don't know how I feel about this. I want to love it, but I'm generally not a big fan of the MMO experience. Also, if I'm playing a DC game, I don't want to be Generic Super-Powered Guy that I made up -- I want to be the Flash or Superman or Sinestro or even someone obscure like Blue Devil or Ragman, but someone who is part of the DCU. That said, I don't know how a DCU MMO would be workable like that since you'd have 10 jillion Batmen running around.

Also [nerd]it's Suicide Slum, not Suicide Slums[/nerd]. Also, the Ace O'Clubs looked like an ordinary bar, not the gaudy Vegas vomit shown in the video (though I haven't read Superman books in years, so maybe they changed it). This is all geeky details that nobody with a life should care about, but I think if you've got the official DC license, it's something you should care about and get right.

All of that said, now that I have a PS3, I am giving serious thought to picking this one up. Do we know if there is going to be a monthly subscription fee?
Old 06-15-10, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF
I don't know how I feel about this. I want to love it, but I'm generally not a big fan of the MMO experience. Also, if I'm playing a DC game, I don't want to be Generic Super-Powered Guy that I made up -- I want to be the Flash or Superman or Sinestro or even someone obscure like Blue Devil or Ragman, but someone who is part of the DCU. That said, I don't know how a DCU MMO would be workable like that since you'd have 10 jillion Batmen running around.

Also [nerd]it's Suicide Slum, not Suicide Slums[/nerd]. Also, the Ace O'Clubs looked like an ordinary bar, not the gaudy Vegas vomit shown in the video (though I haven't read Superman books in years, so maybe they changed it). This is all geeky details that nobody with a life should care about, but I think if you've got the official DC license, it's something you should care about and get right.

All of that said, now that I have a PS3, I am giving serious thought to picking this one up. Do we know if there is going to be a monthly subscription fee?
I agree with you. I would prefer much more to play any DC character over any character I create, probably, from a limited canvas set.
Old 06-15-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I don't have a PS3 and I don't do PC gaming so once again DC has given one of its biggest fans The Finger.
Old 06-15-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i don't have a ps3. that looks cool, but not enough to get me to go out and buy one. not a fan of mmos. now if this was a sandbox game like batman:aa or any of the other ones that have come out recently, i'd be more interested.
Old 06-15-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Do we know if there is going to be a monthly subscription fee?
Ah, that's the million-dollar question. Or at least the $9.95/month question. MMOs have never worked on a console for that very reason -- nobody wants to pay a subscription fee. I know APB will have one but I still haven't heard about DCUO. If I were running Sony (shudder), I'd make the service free for members of their new stupid PSNplus program. We'll see if that's what they decide to do.
Old 06-16-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by Decker
Ah, that's the million-dollar question. Or at least the $9.95/month question. MMOs have never worked on a console for that very reason -- nobody wants to pay a subscription fee. I know APB will have one but I still haven't heard about DCUO. If I were running Sony (shudder), I'd make the service free for members of their new stupid PSNplus program. We'll see if that's what they decide to do.

or 30/60 days free with a subscription fee after that.
Old 06-16-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I don't have a PS3, but I'm a PC gamer and MMO enthusiast AND a ginormous DC fan, so this is a must-buy.

That said...

I've played City of Heroes for almost 6 years now... I can't imagine DCU gameplay to be better, as existing CoH gameplay is pretty freakin' great. The hook is getting to interact within the DCU with DC characters. But I don't trust SOE to make a decent game to save their lives.
Old 06-17-10, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I don't have a PS3, but I'm a PC gamer and MMO enthusiast AND a ginormous DC fan, so this is a must-buy.

That said...

I've played City of Heroes for almost 6 years now... I can't imagine DCU gameplay to be better, as existing CoH gameplay is pretty freakin' great. The hook is getting to interact within the DCU with DC characters. But I don't trust SOE to make a decent game to save their lives.

I was a CoH player for a long time as well. I look back now and think it's kind of a mediocre game with an excellent customization feature. I mean it along with it's son, Champions Online, still has the best character customization in MMOs. Yet, for me, the game hasn't aged as well with similar areas and enemies.

DC Universe online looks like an excellent filler for me because I'm kinda getting burnt out on WoW and The Old Republic is still many months away.

Last edited by Krugbert; 06-17-10 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-21-10, 04:04 PM
Banned

From Deckers post in the E3 thread:

DC Universe Online to charge $15 monthly subscription fee by David Hinkle (5 minutes ago)

Whether you're a super hero or super villain, certain expenses come with the gig. Spandex dry cleaning, killer robot minion maintenance and death laser calibration -- all of these things require cash. And so does keeping up your virtual identity, it would seem.

Joystiq sister site Massively has confirmed with SOE that in addition to the standard retail purchase price ($50 for PC; $60 for PS3), DC Universe Online will require players to pay a monthly subscription fee of $15. Subscriptions fees have been part of the monthly living expenses for seasoned MMO players for a long time now, though we wonder how the non-Bruce Wayne types will react to one of the more pricier subscriptions out there.

Playing catch-up on DC Universe Online? Check out the game's E3 trailer and our pre-show preview.
I'm not willing to pay $15 a month for an MMO. I was giving this game an opportunity due to the fact that I'm a huge comic book fan, but in reality I'm not a that much of an MMO guy and I imagine that people attracted to this game aren't either.When this game flops after so much money and time has been invested, DC and Sony will only have to look at themselves to blame.

On a side note, I find incredibly stupid that DC hasn't been able to produce a great game with their characters besides Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Justice League game for PS2 was good but with too many limitations and the DC vs Mortal Kombat wasn't that great either. Why can't they create something similar to what Activision did with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance?
Old 06-21-10, 04:54 PM
Suspended

$15 a month so I can get called names by 14-year-olds while they p-kill me with characters they maxed out by playing for 18-hours a day while I was at work? I'll pass.
Old 06-21-10, 06:12 PM
Banned

$15 a month so I can get called names by 14-year-olds while they p-kill me with characters they maxed out by playing for 18-hours a day while I was at work? I'll pass.
Exactly!
Old 06-21-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, i don't have a ps3 but had been considering getting one. even if i did, i definitely won't be picking this up. keep the paying for MMOs shit on pcs. console games should be free to play online.
Old 06-21-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was actually considering this DC Universe game, but not for $180 a year, plus an initial investment of $60.

Let me echo the sentiment someone said earlier regarding Ultimate Alliance. I don't understand why they don't just rip that game off entirely, and fill it with DC heroes. I'd buy it.

Or a Crackdown/Infamous game with a hero (or collection of heroes). That would be awesome.
Old 06-21-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, any interest I had in this game is gone now. I've never been into MMO's but was considering giving this game a chance, but I refuse to pay full price for a game, and then have to pay a monthly fee on top of it. I think 360 owners have it worst: Pay for XBL, game, and monthly access for this? Fail!
Old 06-21-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Well, any interest I had in this game is gone now. I've never been into MMO's but was considering giving this game a chance, but I refuse to pay full price for a game, and then have to pay a monthly fee on top of it. I think 360 owners have it worst: Pay for XBL, game, and monthly access for this? Fail!
Well you don't have to worry about 360 owners, it's PS3/PC only
Old 06-21-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I couldve swore I read it was going to the 360 too? Oh well. Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-21-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

I couldve swore I read it was going to the 360 too? Oh well. Thanks for the correction.
Marvel supposedly has one in the works for 360.
Old 06-21-10, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think there was one in the works, but it's been canceled.
Old 06-21-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Final Fantasy 11 on the 360 only requires a silver membership to play. I'm sure the same would apply to other MMO's if they ever get released on 360.
Old 06-21-10, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think there was one in the works, but it's been canceled.
The one featuring the regular Marvel Heroes was canceled years ago but there is one coming this year with the Marvel Superhero Squad. Still, that one is very kid oriented and I can't imagine parents paying $15 a month for their 5 year old to play that game.
Old 06-21-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I was kind of warming up to this as Ive never played any MMO before, but that $15 a month shot that to hell...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.