Reload this Page >

Router question for PS3 gaming

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-05-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

I just made the switch from DSL to cable. And since I apparently can't just unplug my computers Ethernet from the modem and plug in the PS3 one to switch between the two like I did with my DSL modem, I need a router.
So I picked up the Linksys E1000 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cisco+Li...&skuId=9770315 last night but I haven't opened it yet and I notice on the back it isn't optimized for wireless gaming like the higher end E3000 model is. So I'm wondering for PS3 gaming through this thing, will it REALLY matter? And if I just go through an ethernet connection instead of using the wireless will this thing be sufficient for a smooth online gaming experience?
I ask because I am 100% clueless when it comes to routers since I have never dealt with this stuff before.
Old 06-05-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Router question for PS3 gaming

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I just made the switch from DSL to cable. And since I apparently can't just unplug my computers Ethernet from the modem and plug in the PS3 one to switch between the two like I did with my DSL modem, I need a router.
So I picked up the Linksys E1000 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cisco+Li...&skuId=9770315 last night but I haven't opened it yet and I notice on the back it isn't optimized for wireless gaming like the higher end E3000 model is. So I'm wondering for PS3 gaming through this thing, will it REALLY matter? And if I just go through an ethernet connection instead of using the wireless will this thing be sufficient for a smooth online gaming experience?
I ask because I am 100% clueless when it comes to routers since I have never dealt with this stuff before.
I wouldn't worry about it. I use a regular old G router with my PS3 connected wirelessly and never have a problem. As long as you have a good internet connection, the router is pretty much a non issue. "Optimized for gaming" sounds like a BS marketing ploy to me.
Old 06-05-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's good to know, I will stick with the one I bought then. Thanks.
Old 06-05-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
I wouldn't worry about it. I use a regular old G router with my PS3 connected wirelessly and never have a problem. As long as you have a good internet connection, the router is pretty much a non issue. "Optimized for gaming" sounds like a BS marketing ploy to me.
Came in to say exactly this. Have never had an issue with my G router.
Old 06-05-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got it hooked up, but with wireless the video on MLB TV was very poor compared to what it usually is. And that was with the router literally 2 feet from the PS3. So I went with the wired connection and it was back to normal quality.
Old 06-06-10, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats basically the same router I have. Except a newer model. You should be fine. but then again I've never tried hooking it up with a wire.