Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac & PC) - July 27th, 2010

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which species is your favorite?
Terran
37.50%
Protoss
37.50%
Zerg
18.75%
Not sure just yet!
6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac & PC) - July 27th, 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac & PC) - July 27th, 2010

The other campaigns are going to be released probably as $30-$40 expansions called Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void, focusing on Zerg and Protoss respectively. Blizzard's expansions are usually big deals (well recieved, balanced, etc). No timeline as far as I know, but in the past, Blizzard usually releases an expansion about a year after the release of the original.
Old 07-28-10, 10:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't even realize this was only the Terran storyline. I just assumed you had to play through Terran to unlock the Zerg and Protoss. D'oh!
Old 07-28-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So not only is it a $60 PC game, it's a $60 PC game with only one campaign? Yeah, I'll wait patiently for a "battle chest" kind of set and then shell out the cash. For now, no thank you.
Old 07-28-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So not only is it a $60 PC game, it's a $60 PC game with only one campaign? Yeah, I'll wait patiently for a "battle chest" kind of set and then shell out the cash. For now, no thank you.
Keep in mind this one campaign is nearly 30 missions. The first games 3 campaigns were just ten missions each, give or take. There's a LOT of bang for your buck here.
Old 07-28-10, 11:46 PM

Have fun waiting at least 2 years if not longer for the battlechest. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying the game right now.
Old 07-29-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Keep in mind this one campaign is nearly 30 missions. The first games 3 campaigns were just ten missions each, give or take. There's a LOT of bang for your buck here.
Well that does soften the blow just a bit.

Originally Posted by old_mate
Have fun waiting at least 2 years if not longer for the battlechest. Meanwhile I'll be enjoying the game right now.
There are plenty of other games to keep me entertained until then.
Old 07-29-10, 01:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't mind them giving us three big releases, one for each race, but I wish they started with the Zerg or Protoss, because the humans are the least interesting of the three.
Old 07-29-10, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I'll probably wait for a bundle or battle chess, too
Old 07-29-10, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I'll probably wait for a bundle or battle chess, too
Battle chess is available now!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKcZwPb7C3k&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qKcZwPb7C3k&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I like the in between mission hubs. Very Wing Commanderish.

Last edited by bee_01; 07-29-10 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-29-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are plenty of other games to keep me entertained until then.
Or are there...?
Old 07-29-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't mind them giving us three big releases, one for each race, but I wish they started with the Zerg or Protoss, because the humans are the least interesting of the three.
I think they are the most interesting, story wise, but the least fun to play. I mean, they are this species caught in the middle of this war between the Protoss and the Zerg that's been going on for centuries, and now the Protoss' war has become the Terran's war as well. It's a very interesting dynamic.

However, nothing more fun then amassing a huge Zergling swarm.
Old 07-29-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lordwow
The other campaigns are going to be released probably as $30-$40 expansions called Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void, focusing on Zerg and Protoss respectively. Blizzard's expansions are usually big deals (well recieved, balanced, etc). No timeline as far as I know, but in the past, Blizzard usually releases an expansion about a year after the release of the original.
From my understanding, they are standalone and not expansion packs.
Old 07-29-10, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I think they are the most interesting, story wise, but the least fun to play. I mean, they are this species caught in the middle of this war between the Protoss and the Zerg that's been going on for centuries, and now the Protoss' war has become the Terran's war as well. It's a very interesting dynamic.

However, nothing more fun then amassing a huge Zergling swarm.
The war between Protoss and Zerg hasn't been going on for centuries. From what I remember from the original Starcraft manual, ages ago there was a race called the Xel'Naga. The Xel'Naga tried to improve evolution by changing species, they first worked on the Protoss. Eventually the protoss became too warlike so the Xel'Naga moved on to a new race, the Zerg.

The Zerg were originally a primitive species, but the Xel'Naga changed them and they acquired the ability to assimilate other species features into there own. Eventually the Zerg noticed the Xel'Naga and destroyed them. The Zerg gained knowledge of the Protoss race from the Xel'Naga's memories and set out across space to find and assimilate them too. The Zerg found the human colonies on the outskirts of Protoss space and attacked them, but the Protoss came in force and destroyed all life on the first human planet the zerg invaded. This takes place at the start of Starcraft 1. This was also the first time the Zerg and Protoss contacted each other, the war was not going on for centuries.

If you can find the text from the original Starcraft 1 manual it goes into a whole lot more detail about the histories of the three races, and as it is in the game manual it is canon. I have not read the Starcraft novels so I don't know if they have retconned the story or not.
Old 07-29-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

if anyone cares, i had to replace my hd. vista sp1 strikes again! thankfully i just got the computer at christmas, so hd is covered. bought a new hd to get me going and i shall avoid any service packs for vista. has me heavily leaning towards upgrading to windows 7.
Old 07-29-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by old_mate
The war between Protoss and Zerg hasn't been going on for centuries. From what I remember from the original Starcraft manual, ages ago there was a race called the Xel'Naga. The Xel'Naga tried to improve evolution by changing species, they first worked on the Protoss. Eventually the protoss became too warlike so the Xel'Naga moved on to a new race, the Zerg.

The Zerg were originally a primitive species, but the Xel'Naga changed them and they acquired the ability to assimilate other species features into there own. Eventually the Zerg noticed the Xel'Naga and destroyed them. The Zerg gained knowledge of the Protoss race from the Xel'Naga's memories and set out across space to find and assimilate them too. The Zerg found the human colonies on the outskirts of Protoss space and attacked them, but the Protoss came in force and destroyed all life on the first human planet the zerg invaded. This takes place at the start of Starcraft 1. This was also the first time the Zerg and Protoss contacted each other, the war was not going on for centuries.

If you can find the text from the original Starcraft 1 manual it goes into a whole lot more detail about the histories of the three races, and as it is in the game manual it is canon. I have not read the Starcraft novels so I don't know if they have retconned the story or not.
Guess I remembered wrong, however, the Terran's are still in the middle of this conflict. *shrug*
Old 07-29-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

StarCraft 2 is a full game, no matter what whiners say
By Ben Kuchera | Last updated about 2 hours ago

The Internet, taken as a sort of buzzing collective, can be hard on games. The Amazon ratings for StarCraft 2 have become a battlefield, with many rating the game based on features that gamers feel should have been included, or trashing the game because it's only one-third of the full release; the Zerg and Protoss sections of the campaign will be released at some point in the future. Looking at Blizzard's history with shipping games, we feel safe assuming that it won't be a matter of months.

The question is a good one: is StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty a hobbled experience, cracked into three parts in order to feed the chubby god of Activision's bottom line? We're still spending hours each day playing the game to get ready for the full review on Sunday, but we have thoughts on the matter we're ready to share now.

This is a large game

The original game featured 10 missions for each of the three races, for a total of 30. StarCraft 2 only has 26 missions, according to the archives terminal on your ship's bridge. Did Blizzard think we wouldn't notice the missing missions? For shame! I'm off to rant angrily in the comment sections of popular online retailers! One gamer complained in our forum that he was able to beat the single-player campaign in a single sitting. One 17-hour-long sitting.

The number of missions nearly matches the entirety of the first game, but that's only half the story. The single-player missions in StarCraft 2 are nowhere near as formulaic and repetitive as we're used to. Each mission has at least one gimmick, one trick, or one new unit to introduce to the player. Lava that rises and lowers? Zombie-like enemies that only come out at night? Trains to attack while you avoid a roving death squad? Weapons to steal and then use against the enemy? These missions are much more involved and creative than most real-time strategy games, and that level of care and design doesn't happen quickly.

Most missions take around 30 minutes to complete on Normal difficulty, so even if you beat each one the first time you play, and never go back for the secondary objectives, the game is 13 hours long. In reality, each mission has secondary, and even tertiary, goals; you'll rarely be able to do everything during your first attempt. That's not counting playing each mission across the difficulty levels, which will force you to use different strategies to succeed.

That's only part of the story here, as there is a significant amount of content in conversations, flavor text, upgrade choices, research options, mercenaries to hire, and TV news reports to watch in the hub areas of the game. The game shares some similarities with Mass Effect and Wing Commander in this way; moving your ship around and interacting with the world is a good time. The game also takes some artful jabs at Apple and Fox News. If you aren't willing to spend some time between each mission you'll be missing out on a big part of the game. So we're up to what now, 15 hours? 20?

You can also play competitive games against the AI to practice your strategies before venturing online, and the game features an array of challenge missions to build your chops. The great thing about these challenges is that they give you a safe place to build up your skills in the game, allowing you to learn the higher-level tactics and tricks at your own pace. Here's a basic challenge:

Test your knowledge of Protoss units and what they counter. Defend your Pylons from all three waves, and try to keep as many units alive as possible.
On the expert end of things, you'll be asked to kill enemy units using only hot keys. These challenges aren't easy, but mastering them will give you a deeper understanding of the game. Nothing like this was available in the first game, and it adds hours upon hours of single-player time to the game. There are nine challenge missions, with 27 achievements to earn.

There is a full game's worth of story and single-player content here, no question. We're dealing with a game that ships with much more content in the box than its predecessor, and we're complaining that it's being kept artificially short? Come on.

What, exactly, do people want here?

My days and nights have been consumed by StarCraft 2 as I play for the review, and it's striking just how much content there is, and how cohesive the experience feels. This is a huge game, even for the $60 asking price—and finding it on sale should be easy in a few weeks.

So what would make the haters happy? A much smaller game with only a few missions per race? A release that includes 90 missions, 30 for each race, with the quality of the missions we're seeing here? This is only the Terran part of the story, but you'll be able to play as the Protoss for a few missions, which does a good job of giving you some variety. We're not even addressing the full multiplayer portion of the game, nor the updated Battle.net which makes game modifications and organized play easy to find and fun to play. This is an ambitious game, and Blizzard was up to the challenge; StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty is a huge, expansive release.

Let's hold onto our rage until the next StarCraft release is out on the shelves. If it's shorter, too expensive, or the quality of the missions are lower, we will definitely have something to complain about. Complain about the regional restrictions, the lack of LAN play, or the price that's $10 higher than most PC games. But saying the game has been artificially lengthened and chopped up purely out of greed? That argument doesn't hold up.
From ArsTechnia

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 07-29-10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 02:22 PM

While it is true that the Terrans are in the middle of it all, without help from the Terrans the Protoss would have been destroyed pretty quickly. The Protoss were very set in their ways but the Terrans were able to adapt their strategy against the Zerg.
Old 07-29-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
if anyone cares, i had to replace my hd. vista sp1 strikes again! thankfully i just got the computer at christmas, so hd is covered. bought a new hd to get me going and i shall avoid any service packs for vista. has me heavily leaning towards upgrading to windows 7.
Worth every penny to go to Win7. (A self-confessed Apple-fanatic saying that)

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 07-29-10 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got Windows 7 Professional and am very happy with it. I skipped out on the whole Vista debacle.
Old 07-29-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yup, Win 7 is surprisingly full of win.
Old 07-29-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

So can you play as the other races online?
Old 07-29-10, 05:43 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yup, Win 7 is surprisingly full of win.
Why is it surprising? It says right there in the name exactly how full of win it is (seven).
Old 07-29-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
So can you play as the other races online?
Yes all three.
Old 07-29-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

played through 3 missions so far. i like it. enjoying how between missions there are cut scenes, more story and you have the ability to upgrade your guys.
Old 07-29-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
From my understanding, they are standalone and not expansion packs.
I don't understand that. Wouldn't it all be the same multiplayer game (except for new maps)? And would they really expect the average consumer to spend a whopping $180 for the "complete" Starcraft II game?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.